Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

El Mero Mero posted:

What are people's opinion about just lying about your current salary (or inflating it) and then using that number to negotiate slightly up from?
I disagree with people saying it's unethical - companies won't hesitate to lie and say things like "we'll plan on giving you a salary bump/promotion at the 6 months mark" and other such things to sign people - it seems only fair that it goes both ways. Still, it carries risk and can damage your credibility if you're caught. I think you'd be strictly better off making up a pending offer from a third company(leave it unnamed) than your actual, falsifiable current salary. It's bizarre but not completely off the table for a company to ask for a paystub or even an offer letter (I'd never comply with such a request but I'm at a point in my career where I am genuinely happy to walk from a place that rubs me the wrong way.) Using a company giving you an offer has other advantages - if they play hardball, you can have good reasons to non-sheepishly take the offer anyway, like company-specific intangibles. That doesn't play so well when it's literally a place you're (ostensibly) happy to keep working at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

One thing you could do is arrange a quick chat with your boss regarding your performance - this wouldn't be for any compensation review, just genuine performance feedback. Ask about things like what's been working well, how you can improve, etc from their perspective. If everything is going genuinely well or above-and-beyond, you can be sure of that going forward into the proper yearly official review, and can cite it when you *do* talk about compensation later. If it isn't going as well as you think, you have something (hopefully) specific to improve at, and you can point out that improvement at the official review. I think it's a pretty good thing to do once in awhile even if your compensation is fine, especially at companies that only do reviews once per year.

edit: good timing, dude above me

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Meet with the person who actually evaluates you then, not the one who aggregates the feedback. If there's more than one, consider doing it with the ones who are the most relevant. I've worked in a "matrix management" company before - I met with my "tech lead"(PM) as they called it and presumably he passed feedback on to my "line manager"(admin supervisor). I'm making assumptions about the size of these projects - how many PMs are you likely going to work closely with in a given one-year period? If the answer is 20, maybe it's not worth it, but if it's 2-3, it can't hurt at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'd say the closer to the end of the process, the better. The more a company invests in you(in the form of time, money spent, etc), the more attached they will be to hiring you and thus the more willing they will be to bend on salary ranges. Their batna becomes starting over from scratch to find a good candidate, a relatively long process.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's a pretty industry-specific question - you might try this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3209369

A 10k signing bonus doesn't sound crazy to me at all, you should probably give your best order-of-magnitude estimate of the bill.

e: The answer is still always yes, yes it's worth looking. Long term it's worth it even if you have to foot a bill in the short term anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 28, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Guinness posted:

Even then, 99% chance your equity is worthless in 12 months when the company folds.
This is if you're lucky - lots of places will limp and string you along much longer than that if you let them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think asking for more significant figures than should be relevant makes you sound like a goof.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Please also reconsider anything else told to you by whoever dropped that bit of knowledge on you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I've never remotely been in the situation but that seems like bullshit to me. I'm not sure how to gauge how serious he is - would an email assurance of professionalism serve for now which you can follow through with?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Do you have classmates or former coworkers who work in the private sector and you're close enough to to ask? That's the only real way I've gotten a sense of things like that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I would never show an interviewer another company's offer letter on principle. If I say I have an offer, I have an offer, asking for proof beyond that tells me a lot more about you than it tells you about me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If I were in a position where I needed to bluff like that, I probably would still hear them out. I'd just still give the same firm answer - no, that's confidential between the other company and I, it's not something I feel comfortable sharing, etc. It's still a black mark against the company in my eyes but I get that finding work can be hard and I might not throw that one back immediately, especially if they had a point given that I was bluffing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

antiga posted:

I tend to agree if you're interviewing for a new job. Just as a data point for a different situation, my employer requires a non-redacted copy of the offer letter from the potential employer if they're going to match it to keep you.
Fair enough, but I would still say no to this. Personally I don't think I'd try to get my current company to match an offer anyway - it paints a "ready to leave" target on your back that will potentially hamper your growth there if you do stay.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

I only just found this thread. If the job I am (hopefully) being offered soon has a salary range of $xx,xxx and $zz,zzz and I'd be ok with the mid-range of $yy,yyy how hard should I swing for the fences? I don't want to say Z when I'd take Y, but I don't want to leave money on the table either.

(Also thanks for the moving expenses reminder. I want to ask about that, but won't let it become a deal breaker).

How do you know the salary range? If it's not through some sort of official channel, I'd ask for like, Z + 10%, there's a good chance they'll take you for Z since it's in their range and you might even get more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah you could take the new title and immediately start interviewing elsewhere. I would do as stated above though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think it'd be particularly unreasonable to ask for 80k. I don't really know about your industry or anything but it sounds like a bunch more work and responsibilities.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They asked you what your salary range is and you gave them a number 45k lower than what you're making now? Sorry to say but you kind of just emptied the whole clip into your foot. That's the rate they gave you when they didn't know if you were going to work out, you're worth strictly more to them now that you've proven yourself. Beyond that, your pay should go up because they don't have to pay the middleman any more. It sounds like you don't really believe that your work is worth the amount of money they currently pay for it, and you're wrong.

You might want to sheepishly admit you did some math wrong or something, that's a weird situation though and I don't know if that will work. Submit resumes elsewhere I guess - taking a job for 45k less may well ripple out in future negotiation rounds.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Risket posted:

Thanks for the detailed response.

The company is traded publicly, and the shares vest over 4 years. It's currently at a 5 year high, so equity offer seems to be to be not that great of a deal.

My current contract compensation is $60/hour, or around 124k/year. The current full time offer is 80k base without bonuses figured in. I'm in Indianapolis, and they know I would have a hard time matching 80k around here, especially since I don't have a college degree. I do have a few contacts here and there, time to start sending Christmas cards/whiskey bottles.

Thanks for taking the time to write that, I'm going to get cracking on this today. This has certainly been a lesson learned.
I assume that means they are giving you options and not restricted stock? With the latter it doesn't matter what the current price is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Risket posted:

The first 25% won't vest for a year, so I imagine the stock price will change between now and then.
Yeah but, barring further information, you don't have much reason to guess a direction. If up and down are both equally likely, treat it like the current price over the four years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would discount the value of unvested RSUs compared to cash compensation but that's more of a personal preference.

Is your current contract joint giving you any retirement benefits? If not, you're getting an extra $2,400 from the 401k match at minimum.
Treating them as cash paid upon vesting seems valid to me - they certainly aren't worth anything near cash equivalence when unvested. Maybe I'm more opportunistic than others but I would never reason assuming I was going to stay at a job for 4 years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Comedy option: "Oh I forgot how this W-2 thing works, I meant 80k after taxes"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Big company vs small company is an interesting choice. I've worked at both and I much prefer small upon reflection. I'm going to assume both companies are pretty well established companies that happen to be differently sized - established vs startup is a separate dichotomy. Most of the reasons people cite to prefer big companies are actually about established companies.

At a small company you'll have to wear more hats and take on more responsibilities that aren't in your direct purview. This may mean making your own photocopies or printing shipping labels or whatever. Sometimes you'll have responsibilities that there was an entire team for at big companies. (This was extremely apparent going from a huge company that had dedicated testing teams to one where we had to pretty thoroughly prove our code ourselves.) This can be both a burden and on opportunity - being known as a guy who makes stuff happen regardless of what your stated domain is will hopefully be noticed and rewarded. You can be a big fish in a small pond and see tangible business results of the things you do.

There's also less in the way of you improving something outside of your stated domain as well. If there's a whole team dedicated to a task, they'll often end up being resistant to change that comes from outside. They may well work in a different building or city or country, such that they view you as an outsider even if you work in the same company. Compare this to a small company where you can most likely walk over to the CEO and propose something if you want. People will be much more welcoming of improvements to their stuff because they also wear many hats and are happy to have a load taken off.

As an anecdote, in my testing case, our testing was kind of useless. We ran extensive tests that had a relatively high false negative rate. It was high enough that, upon being informed that tests failed for a given change, most developers didn't even consider that they might be the cause. I proposed some improvements, and proposed that I spend my own time on them, but the answer was always the same. The manager of their team in another state wanted his people to take care of things themselves, things had to stay the same because XYZ, he promised it would get better, and then nothing. It's like his job was preserving his fiefdom and not letting anyone see inside or interfere, even at the expense of the company's success. In the second, smaller company, I built and rigged up an automated test system that ended being used by the everyone, and caught major bugs that could have cost us a ton of money. I was in no way asked to do it, but it was something we needed and so I did it.

On the other hand, a smaller company is going to be more resource constrained. You'll end up closer to the business aspects no matter what (for me this is a plus but I can see the appeal of staying out of it). You'll probably be much more cognizant of what things cost and how money is spent. You'll feel more invested in the overall performance of the business. A big company is much more likely to have access to the newest and best tools and products while a smaller company is more likely to try and cut costs on things like that. Both sorts of companies are going to have politics(sorry), but a single bad relationship is going to have a larger impact at a smaller company. There are political pitfalls that don't exist nearly as much in public companies that can exist at small places, like the entire management staff being family members of the owner or whatever other nonsense you can dream up. In my experience, coworkers are closer to one another at smaller companies, but that might just be my small sample set.

I'd say overall, a decent small company is strictly better than working at a big company, but watch out for red flags because they can be pretty bad at their worst. No need to look past the benefits being worse at a small company - if you're losing on perks, get compensated for it. If your contract terms are worse, get compensated for it. (I once negotiated a $20,000 pay bump because, as part of an acquisition, I was losing out on free lunches and dinners at the office.)

EDIT: Jesus I typed a lot of words about that. Maybe I've been pining for someone to ask this question...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 12, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I guess I didn't even talk about bureaucracy in a discussion about large companies, jesus. Office space stopped being funny as each joke became reality. I did eventually reach 8 bosses before leaving.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

psychokitty posted:

But I really like my job though. So you're saying I need an offer to dangle in front of my managers, which I wouldn't take? But then I wouldn't take it but what if they won't give me more money?
No - you need an offer to convince yourself what you're worth so you can ask for it confidently. Once you tell your managers here, you're done at your current job, even if they match it. You're forever marked as disloyal. If you want to be paid fairly, you need to drop the loyalty to your current place of work. Lots of people are somewhat happy and complacent with their jobs, and guess what? They're underpaid, that's how it works. Face your fear of the unknown and be prepared to walk is my advice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

This is not true at all places. Six years after showing an offer to my employer from another place, I'm still working at the original place and making about 35% more right now than the second place was offering at the time, over 110% more than what I was making before showing the offer.
Cool cool - good deal. You probably would have gotten raises and whatnot at the other place as well, but who knows if they'd amount to 35%, so fair enough, thanks for the data point. I have to imagine it's pretty rare to ever double your salary while sticking with the same company but who knows? I guess my takeaway is use your judgement here - some companies/managers will be more vindictive than others. If you absolutely aren't willing to leave your job, it's risky to show another offer letter. You certainly ought to think carefully as to how you approach it. Maybe making it sound like external factors are pressuring you to earn more is a good bet? (man boss I love it here but my mother-in-law is really on my case :argh:)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah that excerpt is referred to in the title but it's only really one little paragraph of the article. I think it's completely wrong even if the rest of the article is fine. I don't know what range offers are typically negotiated in, but at least in my industry, the margins the company has to make on an employee for them to be worth keeping are way higher than any typical salary negotiation could net anyone. I'm pretty skeptical that he actually knows someone who lost their job because they negotiated their salary too high - pretty sure they would have lost their job anyway if they weren't deemed competent enough for the role.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nope, not rude. They wouldn't hesitate to ask you to sign even if you had another interview, as company A did. You can tell them you have other deadlines without telling them the compensation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You're allowed to turn down offers for literally no reason. You're allowed to interview literally just to get the number and then walk out of the interviewing process entirely. If you want to dip a toe in the water to see if your raise is keeping acceptable pace with your value on the open market and then sit fat and happy where you are, that's a totally okay thing to do.
Frankly I think it's reasonable to interview at companies you don't want to work for, just for interview experience. It's their job to sell you on the company, if they've failed to do that then it's on them regardless of how you felt when you walked in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If you really have to give a number, give one that's too high. If you feel comfortable saying a number, it's too low. This is at least assuming you aren't desperate for any given job.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

Is it common to be able to ask your own HR department for total compensation and breakdown for your own information?

Does every company consider total compensation with the same formula/factors? For example, do some companies consider ESPP expected value as part of total compensation, but other publicly trade companies with ESPP ignore that aspect? or public transit incentives, or whatever other obscure factors that may or may not be included.
That seems pretty hard to compute and specific to the individual. What is health insurance worth? Depends on, well, your health, your alternatives, etc. It's not fungible, if your wife gets better health insurance, is that like getting your pay cut? What would paid lunches be worth? It depends on what you'd spend on food. What is life insurance worth? Disability? There's differences in terms of taxes as well - receiving $5000 per year in free food translates to a different amount of "total compensation" depending on income because it's untaxed vs additional income which will vary based on your current income.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm real curious what company it is but you probably shouldn't post that on a den of internet comedy. Bummer for you I'm sure but perhaps bullet dodged. Anyone who tries to negotiate and gets an offer rescinded gets a consolation drink from me if they come to NYC - I can't imagine I'll have many takers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Honestly, the idea that a company would turn down a prospect rather than just say no over 5% seems so unlikely that it's very possible they had another candidate come in who they liked better. I can't fathom choosing to go through the whole recruiting process over again over that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

epenthesis posted:

If you plan to lie to your future employer, consider how insulted you really ought to be to have your honesty questioned.

Just tell the loving truth and avoid the possible stain on your reputation from being caught in a lie.
This has been discussed a few times already but I would never hand over a copy of another company's offer letter - frankly I consider them confidential by default and it sets a pretty bad precedent in my mind to even be asked. Obviously I'm still willing to cite terms from it as it benefits me, but no, I'm not handing over a copy of a potential legal agreement between me and a third party. If that's a dealbreaker for a company then it's definitely a dealbreaker for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

epenthesis posted:

That's fine. But if someone were to exaggerate their competing offer and then be asked to prove it, they'd have little choice but to feign offense and take the competing offer--if they tried to accept the original offer after having claimed to have a substantially better one, they'd (accurately) look like a liar.

Negotiate honestly and you won't fall into that trap.

e: and "lying might backfire" is not even the most salient argument when the subject is professional ethics.
Offense isn't quite how I'd frame it. "I'm not comfortable sharing the precise terms of a competing offer letter - the company asked me to keep it confidential and I'm inclined to respect their wishes." I'd say that in all such cases - it's not about whether the other offer letter exists or not. It'd have to truly be an ultimatum on their part for you to be forced to walk, and a company that makes ultimatums about disrespecting another company's request is no company I want to work for. I agree that you should avoid lying during the hiring process, but that the company might make an unprofessional demand of you to prove yourself isn't why.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

When I used an "independent" recruiter and he insisted on knowing my salary, I included every conceivable benefit in my current compensation then tacked on a little bit more and kept it all very vague and in round numbers. He said he wouldn't reveal it to potential employers so I didn't feel bad or unethical about exaggerating/lying.
Yeah I did this as well. I got an $18 allotment every day for lunch, and $30 for dinner if I stayed late. So, I rounded this up to $50/day, multiplied it by 250 workdays to get $12,500, then multiplied by 2 because that's roughly what I'd need to compensate for it in pre-tax dollars if the benefit were going away. The new company did indeed compensate for most of it. Of course, the next time I looked for work, I negotiated based on my new salary even though it was for a company that once again provided meals. No regrets.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

fantastic in plastic posted:

How would you go about putting a dollar value on something less tangible, like the ability to work 100% remotely? I've thought about an approach like finding the average commute time in my local metro area and then multiplying that vs my consulting rate, but there are more things I find valuable about remote work than just eliminating a commute.
With careful introspection - I don't think there are any shortcuts there. Putting a price on intangibles is hard, period. It's gonna depend on all sorts of things, ranging from simple stuff like opportunity costs, eg, I'll save time and gas by not driving to work, to complex stuff like "I am sensitive to noise which makes me marginally less productive in an office which will affect my mood, workplace relationships, and bonus to a yet-unknown degree" or "working from home lets me play with my dog which relieves stress in a way that doesn't further distract me like internet browsing does". Those aren't the best examples but you get the picture - it's a pretty personal.

I'm not sure how to really convey it to a recruiter. If you're only looking for 100% remote work, you can tell them that, if it's a nice to have but not a dealbreaker, it's trickier.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wouldn't plan on getting a counter offer and accepting it. It's something you can to do feel good about yourself and give you courage in future negotiations, but it may well just mark you as disloyal. Maybe you have a counter offer only as long as it takes you to train your replacement. It certainly depends on company culture but it's not something I'd rely on. If you want to have options besides just taking company B, look for company C.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Guinness posted:

This is pretty much exactly what you should do in this situation.

FWIW, I think the whole "never take a counter-offer" thing is entirely overblown on the internet. If you are not easily replaceable and are otherwise a valuable, professional team member, then sometimes you have to force the issue if your compensation has lagged behind the market. Turnover is extremely expensive and good companies generally want to avoid it if possible. It's not disloyalty, it's just business.
This is the rational thing for a company to do, but it isn't always true. (Well maybe it's rational - you could make a case for seeking out and hiring people who will be loyal even when it doesn't make sense for them to be.) Especially in small companies, people take things personally. I know multiple people who have been fired on the spot because they were caught interviewing with competitors. In general, I think actually being genuinely irreplaceable is very rare. Lots of people feel that way, lots of people fantasize about the company falling apart without them, I wager that's a lot less common than people hope. Even if some people are hard to replace, reasoning by way of "I'm hard to replace, therefore X" strikes me as dangerous in a world where managers are people with emotions who have a big part of their lives invested in where they work. Most of my experience is with small companies, where I generally choose to work, so do keep that in mind.

Of course, I can only give very general advice here, which is no substitute to specifics about the company in question. If you know how they've treated people in your situation in the past, that is hugely valuable information that can certainly supersede anything I've said.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

But, good companies in general are already paying the market rate. If you're far enough below the market rate that moving gets you a big raise, you're likely already dealing with unreasonable people trying to take advantage of you.
Ehh I don't know if I'd go this far even if I agree with your conclusion. A new company has to compensate you for the unknown of job-switching. People weigh their own fear of change pretty highly. I don't think it's crazy for their to exist a company that won't freak out at you for interviewing while still choosing not to pay their employees the same rate they'd get if they job-hopped every year. My advice is that people generally overweight this fear of change, and that you should instead push through it while thinking skeptically about any company you consider joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

What is the experience like negotiating with a headhunter/recruiter? I had previously mentioned my current situation in this thread. I've been recently promoted at my current job and when I added my new title on LinkedIn, I got 4 messages and about 10 phone calls within the last week, which were completely unsolicited. One call stated their client is paying up to $95k. It's tempting, as I make ~$20k less now.

I haven't called back yet, but I assume these are contract jobs that don't provide health insurance (which I need), and I have great insurance now ($58/mo for great health/dental/vision), so I'd have to take that into effect. Do recruiters typically give an offered salary amount out in an intro call?

e: Is there any way to read reviews of how a recruiting firm is? Everything I find is reviews of working for the recruiter, not the 'recruitees' review of the process.
Mixed. To say nothing of the good, honest ones out there, they are a slimy bunch. They do get results though - they aren't making poo poo up. Just don't trust them farther than you can spit. They are stating vague salary estimates in hopes to entice you, because they know that others are trying to get you to talk to them for exactly the same thing, and they know the default response for you is to ignore them. I got my current job from a recruiter and he successfully negotiated hard on my behalf.

Off the top of my head:
1. Recruiters often ask for exclusivity - it's okay to grant it to them verbally, but don't sign a contract. Then it's okay to wordlessly take it away whenever you want. This sounds a little sketchy, but it's nothing compared to the sketchiness of their whole industry - I do it without remorse.
2. Recruiters, in my experience, are good for 1-3 interviews, after that they'll stop putting in so much effort. If you reach this point, start looking at others.
3. They gossip. If you work in a cutthroat industry that fires people for disloyalty, be extra cautious, because they will throw your resume around with reckless abandon. Once I removed my current company name from my resume for this reason, just put the vague type of company, and the recruiter without my knowledge edited the company name back in before sending it out. I found out because an interviewer was holding a copy of my resume with the company name on it. I know multiple people who have been fired because word got around that they were interviewing, it's not just paranoia.
4. There are (at least?) two styles of recruiters. They generally get paid a portion of your first year's salary. Some of them take this to mean "place a lot of people, with little regard for how good a fit they are or maximizing their salary, just try to get them in and out". Others take it to mean "build relationships with clients to place them somewhere that fits well for them, and negotiate hard for their salary because that's how much you get paid". Obviously you should prefer the latter, but I have no idea how to determine that from a recruiter's initial pitch. One thing is to request that they get explicit permission from you for each individual company they send your resume to. They'll still sometimes ignore this.
5. Worst recruiter story: A friend worked with a recruiter briefly, and he didn't really take the time to understand his situation. (It was genuinely complicated and involved staying at his current company while doing other, overlapping stuff with another. All above-board, but non-standard for sure.) So my friend stopped taking his calls. When the recruiter couldn't get in touch, instead of letting it go, he called up his company's phone number from the website, introduced himself as a recruiter, and asked to speak to my friend by name. Needless to say my friend had to have an uncomfortable meeting where he had to explain to his boss that he was not, in fact, looking to leave the company, just dealing with a sketchy recruiter.