Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Hi, so I've been interviewing for a job the last few days. The first day I met with a manager, the second day I met with an HR peron, and today they have me scheduled to meet with the CEO. The company has about 100 people in it. My position is an entry-level job that requires some technical skills such as spreadsheet work, data entry, renegotiating contracts and some work in Great Plains making sure data maintains integrity across their platforms. But most of it is software/datatabase work. I told them that depending on the exact benefits package, I'd start happy to start in the low 40k range. They mentioned today that the meeting with the CEO would have a few more questions but would mostly be about salary/compensation. I was told by my dad who does a lot of hiring for a different company that it's important not to price yourself out of the running with a ridiculous demand, but that it's ok to ask for raises as long as the amount isn't over 5-7% of the initial offer.

This is my fist real job offer out of college, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I did tell them that if they did make an offer to me, I'd just like a day to review the information and make sure everything is good. So my question here is, I believe that the job is worth probably 39-45k depending on various factors, but my problem is I don't have a lot of work experience so I feel they may use that against me. In the case that they ask me to name a number first, would it be better to start lower or higher and negotiate from there?

Calm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea you done hosed up son. You hosed up first by naming a number and second by not reading the OP. Theres a link talking about literally your exact situation as well as explaining clearly what to do throughout:

From the OP: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2016/06/03/kalzumeus-podcast-episode-12-salary-negotiation-with-josh-doody/

Oh ok. I'll read through that if I get another opportunity and add it to my knowledge for future situations. Thanks for the link though.

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

An update from before. I initially started asking a range of 39-41k. During the meeting I was able to negotiate a final offer of 45k+benefits which is slightly above avg from median data regarding position in my area. So even though I made some mistakes initially, I used some of the information posted above to help me out. So thanks again to those who compiled the information and advice.

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Hello,

I started at a company a year ago in an entry level contracts department position for a company that does work on industrial electrical systems. We are strictly b2b and about 1/3 of the Fortune 500 are our clients. The job consisted mostly of data entry into our ERP, but also a lot of spreadsheet work and reading contracts for language @ 45k/yr. Minimal decision-making but there was some. It included a few other responsibilities such as recording commissions for sales people and light collections work. The company has seen steady growth for quite some time and as such, the Sales dept has grown with it. It had 20 sales people as of last Spring, when they decided to hire a Sales Operations Manager, which they recruited outside of the company for. So they hired a new guy, and he did a terrible job. Sales operations declined drastically. Quotes weren't getting out on time or going out with errors. Sometimes orders weren't processed correctly, and since our work is done mostly on a contractual basis, we renew existing clients' contracts ~3 months before they're set to expire. Work had slowed so much that the previous 3 month buffer and was down to 1 month. Needless to say, it was a bit of a disaster and the guy was canned.

So they called me one day in my cubicle and asked if I would be interested in a new position. Apparently I had built a good reputation there for my work even though I was still fairly new. The position would have some of the responsibilities taken out of it, so I could kind of ease into the job. I had never managed anything before, so instead of having me go gung-ho into managing operations for 20ish people, they gave me control of our Sales Support dept, which consists of 4 people. What this dept does is assist the salespeople with their quotes, generate documents for them, fulfill information requests, data maintenance for our accounts in our ERP & CRM platforms. They offered me 60k/yr. I knew that they really needed a fix quickly and I could have been an rear end in a top hat and negotiated for more, but decided it would be better to humbly accept and prove that I could do a good job, then ask for more later. The CEO of the company said that he'd like to see me do well in the new position, and that my work would eventually be "a 6 figure job."

So we're 6 months in and things have gone exceedingly well. We're getting quotes out really quickly and accurately, we're back up to our 3 month buffer for sending out renewals. Very few mistakes have been made from our dept, and all of the Salespeople have said that they're thankful for the way we were able to turn things around for them. The crew that i directly manage has been working hard and they get a lot of compliments from the Salespeople. Our work has been pointed out in meetings as fabulous, excellent, and tight. Sales are up, and the forecast for this year is good.

In all, the company did 32M in revenue last year. >11M was from the Sales Dept. I expect sales to be higher than that this year barring economic downturn. In the 6 months since starting, my responsibilities have grown greatly. I do weekly and monthly sales and call reporting on all the reps, I prepare lots of complex spreadsheets for our proposals. I taught myself SQL this last year and use it regularly to craft queries to find information for the business and for our reps. Every quote that goes out to clients is generated by my dept. I'm the last person to check quotes for accuracy before they go out to clients. I process every single order that comes through the Sales Dept, which basically means setting up client and sale order in our ERP before sending it to the contracts dept. I'm also in charge of managing each Sales Rep's account list, of which they have 5-700 accounts to call/work on. Recently they asked for my dept to do prospecting/mining lists for more leads. Basically I'm in charge of all of the Sales Operations now except for hiring/firing and a monthly account review where the CEO of the company and I sit with the reps to go over their monthly results to see what progress they've made or will be making on their accounts. I'm usually the first level of escalation that our Sales Reps go to when something goes wrong with an order, and recently the CEO stated in a meeting with our Account Management dept (customer service dept) to escalate to me if they have any questions about current or incoming contracts. I also do calculations on how much to sell our services for when clients want to pro-rate their contract lengths.

Today, I went in and told the CEO, "I was hoping that you'd consider raising my salary now that I feel my responsibilities have grown greatly since starting the new position. It does not have to be now, but it is something I would appreciate in the near future." He said "Ok". He didn't seem happy, but also not mad that I asked. I think he probably expected it at some point, but who's to say? CEO is also sole owner of the company.

Much to my entertainment, the guy that got fired left his offer letter in what is now my office. His salary was 90k/yr. I know that skill-wise, I'm a superior worker to him based on what I saw in the company through his tenure. The only place he trumped me was in years of work experience. It seems crazy, but in my short time there, I have Salespeople who now call me "boss", and say they would "do anything" for me since I work hard for them. I tell them I'm not their boss, and that it's my pleasure to do the work. And I've heard through the grapevine that the CEO (my direct manager) thinks highly of my work.

I don't want to come off as seeking too much for having only been there a year. On the flip-side, I do truly believe that my work is worth quite a bit more than my current rate now that my responsibilities have grown and the company moved from a negative to positive direction since I was given the new position. My question is, does 110k/yr seem outlandish for a job that manages the daily operations of a dept that's on track to do ~12M in sales this year? To iterate, I'm now responsible for almost all administrative tasks required to manage the entire sales dept except for hiring/firing. Second question, is it ever ok to disclose that I know the previous guy's salary, or is that something I just never, ever talk about?

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Thank you all for the input, very nice of you to respond. After thinking awhile, consulting w/ others and seeing your suggestions, I've realized I was being a bit greedy / overvaluing myself probably. When the time for discussion comes, I'm going to scale back my expectations and shoot for something more reasonable.

You are correct in not using another's compensation to relate to self-value. That was an idea I've been kicking around in my head, about how much to consider the value of another's compensation when determining your own value. Obviously the company was paying him 90 to complete tasks which he did not deliver on. So just because I'm able to deliver and he wasn't doesn't mean I should think that I deserve anything more than that.

Thank you again.