Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Goons,

Advice question for salary negotiations, I just received the application form which for this company is a online document. irritatingly they have marked the current salary and desired one as required items. any suggestions on how i should reply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How much do you need / want the job? Have you done your research? What kind of company is it?

I really just want to leave my current employer because of the toxic environment it has making something that is closer to what a masters level chemist should be making would be nice too. Haven't done the research yet but that is a excellent suggestion that i should have thought of in the first place. and this is a growing international pharma company.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

If you're willing to live in the Piedmont Triad of NC, I'm hiring a polymer chemist. Send me a copy of your resume if you want more details.

Sadly I'm an NMR jockey so only polymer experience I can offer is analysis of them, oddly I seem to be the only one in my team who knows how to do it. if I was a synthetic chemist I'd be all over your offer though.

Also good suggestion for tossing 0 in, the hiring manager already wants to meet me so HR will have to tolerate my wanting them to make an offer.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 25, 2021

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I followed the advice in the thread and the perspective employer sent me an offer, the offer is the same rate that I make now but I would get extra for shift differential and OT so I'd be making more money regardless, is asking for 10% more base outrageous?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know what "extra for shift differential" means, how much money is that exactly? I don't know how to quantify the value of actually getting OT vs not getting OT, but it's not worth much unless you actually work a ton of OT right?

OT is tricky, it seems like even if you get a ton of pay from that there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get it next month so I wouldn't put much value in that at all, personally.

The differential is a flat rate so for 8 hours I get an extra $200 for every Saturday I work. I would be working Tuesday to Saturday.

*edit*

Offer is for $27 and hour I'm thinking of asking $31

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 4, 2016

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
The corporate thread suggested this would be a good place to ask about negotiating a sign on bonus.

I’m moving from contractor to full time with my client. Since I wont be getting a bonus from my current employer when I make the jump, new employer is offering a sign on bonus. The catch is they were wondering what my bonus this year was gonna be. Obviously I want to get as much as I can, here are the details I have:

*I know they offered my staff who made the move 10k as a sign on for lower level positions.
*New job likely knows about what I am making now, approximately 100k.
*They likely know my boss at the current employer put me in for a promotion since they have to renegotiate the contract for a higher role.

Im wondering if I suggesting 15k is reasonable. This is based on how clearly I am already doing well and if some one is exceeding objectives a 15% bonus isn’t unheard of, and they may have the evidence as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

asur posted:

This isn't the typical case. The person is moving from contractor to full-time. The only reason they're even getting offered a signon bonus is to replace the bonus they're missing and the company likely has insight into what they're being paid currently. I would be concerned about getting caught in a lie if they try to pass off a large amount as their expected bonus. If you know they don't have insight then shoot for the stars, but if they might I'd ask for the largest defensible amount. Based on the explanation $15k sounds good.

Im fairly sure they have above average insight on pay. Performance I know my current boss is asking about a promotion in an attempt to get me to stay so they should already know my performance is well above average. Worst case they knock it down to 10k and I do only as well as my staff.