Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Trump started the race as half a Hillary plant. Trump is an egomaniac, he's flirted with the presidency before, through a mode of "who the hell cares, I have name recognition in a huge way," but never really considered it. Last spring, Hillary asks of him a favor: "do our centrist-corporatism a solid, distract all the Looney-Tunes for a few months and give them a reality-TV campaign." Trump shrugs and says yes, figuring that he will get a slightly larger talk-show footprint than even birtherism gave him in terms of free "content-ads" for his reality-TV empire. 3 months later, Trump is finding things way easier than he expected, thinking "man, I can get so much free branding from just shouting randomly about republicans," leading to a slow segue into "this Presidency shtick is the greatest ROI my advertising has ever seen!." 3 months later, roughly into last November: "I think this whole President thing might actually stick, what the hell am I supposed to do about that? I guess that'll make sure I'm hugely and historically remembered, let me try and figure out a real strategy."

The point is, Trump is unpredictable precisely because he is not a politician, and he did not enter the race with the intent of becoming one. Trump has become a politician because the Hillary campaign does not know that a parodic representation of what it intends to fight is in fact the most popular vision for the future of America. Trump is stuttering in Rubio-mode because he is a barking dog with no idea what to do with the car now that he's caught up to it. The future is bright.

Xenophanes has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

McDowell posted:

I can see the conversation quote clearly now. This is a scripted rerun of Goldwater / LBJ

LBJ's allies were in a Congress with more than a 4 percent approval rating.

• Locked thread