Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Who What Now posted:

Nothing says "whites with too much time and money on their hands" like golf.

So it's a lot like sailboats, but less hard and I can be drunk

Why does anybody sail boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Who What Now posted:

lots of other people play golf too

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Who What Now posted:

Growing up in a golf community this is pretty much yeah.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lots of other people play golf too

It is a skill taught and passed down to the younger generation so they too can brown nose their way to success in the corporate world.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

I don’t have any savings, but I also don’t have any wants.

I don’t know about you, but I like to enjoy my life. I like to go out to eat, buy clothes I don’t “need” and spend money with friends on memorable nights out.

This goes back to a piece of advice a very successful friend gave me: “Don’t save money. Make more money,” he nonchalantly stated, pushing me into a taxi.

Unlike most things people tell me, this advice did not go in one ear and out the other; it stayed with me and changed the way I look at everything from my career to my savings.

Before this piece of advice, I was frantic. I was always doubting and always feeling guilty. I lived in the most exciting city in the world (also the most expensive) and had yet to experience it.

I was trying to save, which meant trying not to eat. I wasn’t going out with friends, had yet to go to a club and had never seen the inside of a taxi.

I couldn’t enjoy my life because I was too busy worrying about my bank statement. I was too busy watching my savings instead of savoring my youth.

Why did I feel so guilty about spending money on myself and my life?

When did our 20s start to feel like our 40s? When did we get weighed down with the same pressure and stresses as a woman with four kids and a second mortgage?

We don’t have kids. We’ll be renting for the foreseeable future, and we have no problem eating McDonald’s when we’re skint.

I’ve recently figured it out: This pressure, this third-party stress, is ingrained within us. It’s this looming doom our parents carved into our unconscious, only to come out anytime we make an impulse purchase or have to spend the night without Netflix.

But like most things our parents have ingrained in us, we must consciously work to push it out. Because while they may have the best intentions, they don’t always have the best insight.

They want us to save because it provides us with a safety net, but that’s exactly why we shouldn’t. Their need for us to have a safety net is just a giant metaphor for the difference between our parent’s generation and ours.

They were getting married at 20 while we’re just getting our first apartments. They were saving for kids while we still want to be kids. We’re on different schedules, different paths and totally different savings plans.

We’re taking our time growing up, refusing to be shackled by mortgages and diapers. We’re not trying to live with safety nets; we’re trying to live on the edge.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

2 - Following the death of Lucius Caesar, Livia Drusilla persuades Augustus to allow her son Tiberius back into Rome as a private citizen, after six years in enforced retirement on Rhodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zlingman/status/710362350369398784

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don’t know about you, but I like to enjoy my life. I like to go out to eat, buy clothes I don’t “need” and spend money with friends on memorable nights out.

This goes back to a piece of advice a very successful friend gave me: “Don’t save money. Make more money,” he nonchalantly stated, pushing me into a taxi.

Unlike most things people tell me, this advice did not go in one ear and out the other; it stayed with me and changed the way I look at everything from my career to my savings.

Before this piece of advice, I was frantic. I was always doubting and always feeling guilty. I lived in the most exciting city in the world (also the most expensive) and had yet to experience it.

I was trying to save, which meant trying not to eat. I wasn’t going out with friends, had yet to go to a club and had never seen the inside of a taxi.

I couldn’t enjoy my life because I was too busy worrying about my bank statement. I was too busy watching my savings instead of savoring my youth.

When did our 20s start to feel like our 40s? When did we get weighed down with the same pressure and stresses as a woman with four kids and a second mortgage?

We don’t have kids. We’ll be renting for the foreseeable future, and we have no problem eating McDonald’s when we’re skint.

I’ve recently figured it out: This pressure, this third-party stress, is ingrained within us. It’s this looming doom our parents carved into our unconscious, only to come out anytime we make an impulse purchase or have to spend the night without Netflix.

But like most things our parents have ingrained in us, we must consciously work to push it out. Because while they may have the best intentions, they don’t always have the best insight.

They want us to save because it provides us with a safety net, but that’s exactly why we shouldn’t. Their need for us to have a safety net is just a giant metaphor for the difference between our parent’s generation and ours.

They were getting married at 20 while we’re just getting our first apartments. They were saving for kids while we still want to be kids. We’re on different schedules, different paths and totally different savings plans.

We’re taking our time growing up, refusing to be shackled by mortgages and diapers. We’re not trying to live with safety nets; we’re trying to live on the edge.

This woman doesn't appear to be in her 20's.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

So it's a lot like sailboats, but less hard and I can be drunk

Why does anybody sail boats

you can definitely be drunk while sailing

sun's over the yardarm somewhere

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

smdh

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

vil can i chain location phrases

ja, det er oppe over der

to mean

yeah, it's up over there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

vil can i chain location phrases

ja, det er oppe over der

to mean

yeah, it's up over there

Skandinavien-tråden i SAL kan hjälpa dig

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The Trump spokesperson shouting matches are getting incredibly surreal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There a retirement crisis looming in the next 10-20 years it's gonna be lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

will boomers suffer?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

think about how we have 8 more months of the media trying to tiptoe around the rest of the people of his campaign so that they don't accidentally record a cross burning

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ironically, its just going to feed the GOP.

zoux posted:

will boomers suffer?

Yes, and they'll blame it entirely on progressive values ruining our country.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

the_paradigm_shift posted:

think about how we have 8 more months of the media trying to tiptoe around the rest of the people of his campaign so that they don't accidentally record a cross burning

Well yeah I mean you have to be objective.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Gravel Gravy posted:

what happened now

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

what happened now

Nothing in particular, she just got in a shouting match with some other spokesperson about some issue or another.

It was the same schpeal you'd hear from Drumpf, it was just very strange hearing it through that smile.

It's like that Phelps kid talking to her interviewer about how he'll burn in hell while smiling and otherwise being polite.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqmoWH-t1c

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tone of his hands change from the second panel on
Too many words in panel 6 also he's leaning back for no real reason
Trump's hair is more orange than yellow
There isn't a trigger on the gun in the second panel
Too much tell, not enough show

3/10

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Juba II of Mauretania joins Gaius Caesar in Armenia as a military advisor. It is during this period that he meets Glaphyra, a Cappadocian princess and the former wife of Alexandros of Judea, a brother of Herod Archelaus, ethnarch of Judea, and becomes enamoured of her.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

drat that's a good gif, ty sft

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Juba II of Mauretania joins Gaius Caesar in Armenia as a military advisor. It is during this period that he meets Glaphyra, a Cappadocian princess and the former wife of Alexandros of Judea, a brother of Herod Archelaus, ethnarch of Judea, and becomes enamoured of her.

you should try going backwards with BC this time

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you should try going backwards with BC this time

That is nothing before christ

Serious BC post:

Jesus, basis of Christianity (born in the month of Ethanim (Tishrei) (September–October)) (approximate date, according to Eusebius of Caesarea and Jehovah's Witnesses)

Phraates IV, king of Parthia is murdered.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Luigi Thirty posted:

Skandinavien-tråden i SAL kan hjälpa dig

hvor har du lært svenska?

sudo rm -rf fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

prolly better than tnc's upcoming series imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested posted:

prolly better than tnc's upcoming series imo

gah mine own trolls, used against me

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Who What Now posted:

Polo

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Where do people even play polo?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

*tugs on own collar*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Poland :smug:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Private boarding schools I presume.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Gravel Gravy posted:

At Polo Clubs, there are several in the Chicago suburbs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diJNybk0Mw

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

golf has at least some cross cultural appeal. i know non-white people who are very into playing the game, and there are golf courses in very not white parts of the country that do just fine. A used set of clubs is not really all that expensive, and a round at a more economical course is like 15-20 bucks, which is doable for a lot of people. not much different then a movie and food.

watching golf is basically the whitest thing since sliced bread.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

one of my college buddies posted that video to our group chat and told me "this is you sometimes"

• Locked thread