Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i hope ndt never stops tweeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

let's talk about this table again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multilingual_presidents_of_the_United_States#Table

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

rowing

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm glad everyone you know seems to be safe r mute

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Milk is good friends

Badger of Basra posted:

he means integrate in the way french people mean it - i.e. you're allowed to integrate by renouncing everything about your former identity except your skin color, your name, and maybe your food
why don't they just drop the pretense and use the word assimilate?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

people needed to figure out the difference between integration and assimilation like yesterday

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

oh yeah can you probate liberal_l33t

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

like at least half of my hijabi friends take advantage of having a socially acceptable reason to cover their hair to not bother doing anything with their hair

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

if it wasn't past midnight here i'd probably go into a spiel about the history of what we now call the hijab and the etymology of it

nutranurse posted:

hijabs seem to allow for a lot of ways to buck a ton of the cosmetic demands we put on western women
it'd save me the headache of trying to figure out how to make middle parted asian girl hair exciting, that's for sure

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

fade5 posted:

the experiment was a failure

either that or it was a terrible success, and the results should make us all depressed

it learned too well

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

my dad's first pc was a windows 98 box. amazingly, it still runs

steinrokkan posted:

Trump answers a class demand for justice, his answer is the wrong one, but it isn't surprising that outliers in a class disadvantaged position would take the bait. Supposedly lots of Chinese and Vietnamese expats were pro-Trump because they projected their agenda onto him as a strong leader - until he started courting Asian dictators.
lol you actually believe this

Foppery posted:

I've always though of myself and people my age as "millennials", though admittedly on the younger side :shrug:
do you remember anything about the world before 9/11?

Rollofthedice posted:

also stuff about languages is pretty cool
maybe i should talk about the history of the meaning of 'hijab' like i threatened to do last night

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

jag no :(

Badger of Basra posted:

everyone loves cheese, white man

i do not

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i mean, it's not like i hate cheese by itself, and i like it in sandwiches, but cheese on other foods puts me off

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are you lactose intolerant
i am the thread milk drinker

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

at least now i won't get confused when badge is posting

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

you could try contacting him through steamchat

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i am indeed a massive pedantic human being, so

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

welcome back jag

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Big Bird is a character on the children's television show Sesame Street. Officially performed by Caroll Spinney since 1969, he is an eight-foot two-inch (249 cm) tall bright primrose-yellow bird.[2] He can roller skate, ice skate, dance, swim, sing, write poetry, draw, and even ride a unicycle. But despite this wide array of talents, he is prone to frequent misunderstandings, on one occasion even singing the alphabet as one big long word (from the song called "ABC-DEF-GHI," pronounced /æbkədefgi:dʒekəlmɪnɒpkɔ:rstu:vwɪksɪz/), pondering what it could ever mean. He lives in a large nest behind the 123 Sesame Street brownstone and has a teddy bear named Radar.

In 2000, Big Bird was named a Living Legend by the United States Library of Congress.[3]

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i stand behind my previous ban white dudes from uspol comments

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i was raised in california so i guess both? there's like ten women in all of d&d so it's not like it matters either way

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

for the white millennial, getting really excited about a large number of restaurants with a variety of ethnic cuisines

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Do you have to say your ancestors nationality even if it doesn't matter?

Like my mother's parents were from Hungary and my Dad's grandparents were all from England, but who cares?
i think the difference here is that you say your grandparents were hungarian, whereas i would say i'm vietnamese(-american, hyphen not optional :unsmigghh:)

Alligator Horse posted:

Thinking about White People metrics is reminding me of the time we did Secret Santa in LF and I mailed someone a no-joke full sized Barnes and Noble book cover artwork display--the kind they hand up near the juncture of the ceiling and walls. It was of a Thomas Friedman book but I can't remember which one.
i feel like you were the real loser in this situation, having paid actual cash money for such a thing

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

sinnlos no :(

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rollofthedice posted:

hi there mr./ms./mrs. frog!
is ms. acceptable for women of all marital statuses? because if not, i motion that it become so

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What's wrong with that?
like, really excited. i'm thinking of some people i know irl here: "i love trying new things!!!!" and then they only ever eat pho and pad thai

if you're gonna do that, make some of it yourself dummies. my real and authentic (by definition :unsmigghh:) budget pho recipe is somewhere in the bowels of chat thread

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

the Rothko chapel in Houston has a nice ambiance

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

where was sharkie's thread?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

the op was capitalized with citations and everything, smh mods

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

what up sore throat buddy

although now it's progressed to the sneezing portion of the cold, yay me

clap

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i knew my fountain pen hobby would lead to good things

My Man Shran posted:

:siren: Urgent Announcement for FP Nerds :siren:

Nathan Tardiff does thing, reactions soon to follow.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

don't worry, i'm sure the kurds will be doing a genocide of sunnis in the near future

comes along bort posted:

you're basically paid to sit and do homework at the vast majority of work study jobs
i have to actually work, but i just code scripts and poo poo on my own hours (lots of timesheets with hours around midnight from me)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

i'm too afraid of being murdered by a cop to try and find weed (and the one time i had it in a brownie it didn't affect me :shrug:) it's me, i'm the boring milk-drinker

Dreylad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTNrF8ADk8

this is the worst goddamn rap battle
what's the full title because i don't actually want to click on the video

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dreylad posted:

no, you must experience it.

or just the watch the video its responding to
okay, i clicked on both, read the titles, looked at what was on screen, immediately backed out

fishmech posted:

isn't there supposed to be a full legalization ballot measure this november?
yeah, legalizing recreational use

i'd probably try it once just to see (if it is legalized) but i try to avoid police like the plague so not chancing it if it's not

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Aeryk posted:

of course whole milk
same, friend

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Aeryk posted:

I feel bad for the lactose intolerant. having to buy inferior milk substitute
whoa now, where's the love for soy

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/mapping-the-united-swears-of-america/

Hell, drat and bitch are especially popular in the south and southeast. Douche is relatively common in northern states. Bastard is beloved in Maine and New Hampshire, and those states – together with a band across southern Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas – are the areas of particular motherfucker favour. Crap is more popular inland, gently caress along the coasts. Fuckboy – a rising star* – is also mainly a coastal thing, so far.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

basically every family has a cabin of some description, either in the mountains or by the water
cabin as in, a separate/vacation home?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

i agree

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

what have i missed in the past three days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

the only things i know about any news in the past few days is what the msn news app on windows alerted me to

• Locked thread