Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I might have missed it if it was added, but is there any easy way to utilize those spaceports in a sector to have all of them build one ship in parallel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I might have missed it if it was added, but is there any easy way to utilize those spaceports in a sector to have all of them build one ship in parallel?

No, that technology hasn't been invented yet. Selecting multiple buildings or units isn't even possible in games as far as I can tell these days. Just a crazy, crazy dream...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They really need to have a fleet builder like the army builder in EU4. Select a fleet, click on a system, and it distributes the build over the area automatically using sector star bases.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

One thing they should also include in any fleet builder is a toggle for preferring shipyards with applicable upgrades. Most of the time I'm going to only want to build at my place with the appropriate things, like the fleet academy and <ship size> thing. Sometimes though you need to just poo poo the ships out asap, and you'll deal with the mineral loss because you just need them out yesterday.

Hopefully if they put in a fleet designer type thing the splitting fleet function will get a nice rework.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Baronjutter posted:

They really need to have a fleet builder like the army builder in EU4. Select a fleet, click on a system, and it distributes the build over the area automatically using sector star bases.

Or a feature where you have a target number of ships in each class that you want to stay at, and losses are automatically replaced.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone have any particularly hilariously OP ethics combos I should try out?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone have any particularly hilariously OP ethics combos I should try out?

The super OP ethics are still the Fanatic Spiritualist/Collectivist combo for bending the galaxy to your will. And then the exact opposite Fanatic Individualist/Materialist combo that basically allows you to do whatever you want, regardless of what your POPs think. That one also has a bonus of allowing you to take 'deviant' for an extra trait point since the down side of that trait has no effect.

I suspect this will change dramatically once 1.5 is released.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ZypherIM posted:

One thing they should also include in any fleet builder is a toggle for preferring shipyards with applicable upgrades. Most of the time I'm going to only want to build at my place with the appropriate things, like the fleet academy and <ship size> thing. Sometimes though you need to just poo poo the ships out asap, and you'll deal with the mineral loss because you just need them out yesterday.

Hopefully if they put in a fleet designer type thing the splitting fleet function will get a nice rework.

Or they should just get rid of station specific construction upgrades because they are some dumb poo poo and for stuff like fleet academy doesnt make sense on top of being mechanically dumb. which is the direction they have been moving so i hope to hell they keep it up.

Now expensive special station upgrades with global effects would be cool, especially if you could see them in enemy empires and target them for strategic strikes to negate that 25 percent fleet damage from their special ammo production center or whatever

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rakthar posted:

The species uplift events could really use more content or outcomes or something to make them more interesting. I'd also think about how many uplifts a player is expected to do - is it like colonizing in EU4 where you are doing it all game long and individual species are not too important, or would it be smaller in number as in you uplift some dudes early they become your buddies / battle thralls and then you go conquering.

There's a mod that adds a lot to encountering early species... not quite the same as uplift (I don't think it covers where you land on a planet and colonize a world with pre-sentients) but it adds a ton of gameplay to the vanilla "park a spy station above them and wait for them to hit the space age" routine

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756110740

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Just picked this up with the Leviathans DLC on sale because :swoon: space games :swoon:. I played some EU4 and didn't hate it, but also never completed a game. So far I have surveyed Alpha Centauri but the robot dude wants me to survey another star system and I can't seem to get to it. :iiam:

I think I need to find a player created tutorial before I continue.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

amazeballs posted:

Just picked this up with the Leviathans DLC on sale because :swoon: space games :swoon:. I played some EU4 and didn't hate it, but also never completed a game. So far I have surveyed Alpha Centauri but the robot dude wants me to survey another star system and I can't seem to get to it. :iiam:

What type of FTL do you have? If you have wormholes and the system you want to get to is outside your range, then what you want to do is build a wormhole station on the edge of your starting range, that'll make it so you can jump further. If your FTL is warp or hyperspace then I dunno what would be stopping you.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

amazeballs posted:

If you're okay with getting owned your first few games, I highly recommend just diving in and figuring things out. There are tons of cool little surprised for new players that you will never experience properly if you use a guide. This is pretty much my first true 4X (civ doesn't count) and it was awesome as hell playing Stellaris with no prior knowledge. Of course, I eventually posted in the thread to unfuck myself too.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I want more and better mordules for starbases so I can make the Star Forge.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Azuth0667 posted:

I want more and better mordules for starbases so I can make the Star Forge.

More games should steal from Space Empires, which let you completely destroy and remake planets and systems in a number of exciting and horribly dangerous ways, and build bigass dyson spheres around any star.

Even trinaries.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Pakled posted:

What type of FTL do you have? If you have wormholes and the system you want to get to is outside your range, then what you want to do is build a wormhole station on the edge of your starting range, that'll make it so you can jump further. If your FTL is warp or hyperspace then I dunno what would be stopping you.

I dunno it just said there was no known route but I highlighted the two systems it wanted me to survey for the tutorial. Anyway I restarted a new game with a smaller map and 0 advanced AI factions or whatever. I'm playing as the human-like dudes, whatever the first option is for faction.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If you're okay with getting owned your first few games, I highly recommend just diving in and figuring things out. There are tons of cool little surprised for new players that you will never experience properly if you use a guide. This is pretty much my first true 4X (civ doesn't count) and it was awesome as hell playing Stellaris with no prior knowledge. Of course, I eventually posted in the thread to unfuck myself too.

I restarted a second game and so far things have been going smoothly. I think I will take your advice and just see what happens!

The only tutorial of sorts that I watched was this video, which coincidentally is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_0rhKnXmNY

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Seconding this. I'm halfway(?) through my first proper game and having a blast finding things and making nonaggresion pacts with my neighbors and it's fun!

...Although I did come here to ask newbie questions:

- How do you get better at space combat? Make more corvettes, sure, but do you need to win the research lotto to make bigger/better ships? Is that the only way...?

- When do you know if you can remove a frontier outpost? Where exactly do your borders overlap a planet so you can mine stuff in there? The game is not clear, and I've removed a few outposts and been fine, but... :confused:

- Victory: do I really have to become the best at war or making friends to win? That seems, hmm. I got used to Civ/Endless Legend being all "you made enough money, congrats!" or similar.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
What is the current time frame on 1.5 anyway? I'm excited for the new features but need to know whether I should curtail my excitement for now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

HiKaizer posted:

What is the current time frame on 1.5 anyway? I'm excited for the new features but need to know whether I should curtail my excitement for now.

I get the impression it's going to be a while, like a couple of months or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have any of you fine nerds put together a list of the good mods for this? Mechanical extension stuff primarily.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

amazeballs posted:

I think it's simpler than EU imo. Speaking of which, I played all of EU games since EU II (which means for about 16 years old now) and never once completed a grand campaign. There's nothing wrong about it, at some point you know that you won so why drag it on until the end date.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

HiKaizer posted:

My guess is either beforehand end of March or the first few days of April

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The super OP ethics are still the Fanatic Spiritualist/Collectivist combo for bending the galaxy to your will. And then the exact opposite Fanatic Individualist/Materialist combo that basically allows you to do whatever you want, regardless of what your POPs think. That one also has a bonus of allowing you to take 'deviant' for an extra trait point since the down side of that trait has no effect.

What makes these so powerful? What's the recommended playstyle for each?

I always lean towards militarist/materialist ethics, as their bonuses are pretty straightforward. :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

What makes these so powerful? What's the recommended playstyle for each?

I always lean towards militarist/materialist ethics, as their bonuses are pretty straightforward. :v:

They're powerful because ethics divergence is the biggest limiting factor to empire expansion in the current build of the game, and those two combos do the most to mitigate it. In the case of Spiritualist/Collectivist you manage it through brute force, using policies and tech to force ethics compliance, and Individualist/Materialist just straight up doesn't give a gently caress because their empire bonus flat out negates the effects of divergence.

If you want to have fun with the game as it exists right now, I'd go for Individualist/Materialist. Ethics divergence is not a fun mechanic to manage, and being able to ignore it is a big plus.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Ethics divergence is what is killing the game for me right now, really looking forward to the next patch. Right now i feel forced into either of those combos.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
They've been on vacation and haven't even officially announced the expansion so it's going to be a while. Considering the problems they've had getting the sector AI to behave I'd rather they take their time.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
hey uh this weekend I'm gonna work on a new OP for this thread if that's okay for folks, I've already spoken to one person on another goon chat that said "yeah stellaris seems good but the OP scared me away", and considering how much this game has changed and developed, it's a bit unfair IMO

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

hey uh this weekend I'm gonna work on a new OP for this thread if that's okay for folks, I've already spoken to one person on another goon chat that said "yeah stellaris seems good but the OP scared me away", and considering how much this game has changed and developed, it's a bit unfair IMO

Sounds like a really good idea.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/merni_/status/822406439381729281

Big sweeping changes in 1.5, all of them seem amazing, but this little change here is fantastic.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding this. I'm halfway(?) through my first proper game and having a blast finding things and making nonaggresion pacts with my neighbors and it's fun!

...Although I did come here to ask newbie questions:

- How do you get better at space combat? Make more corvettes, sure, but do you need to win the research lotto to make bigger/better ships? Is that the only way...?

- When do you know if you can remove a frontier outpost? Where exactly do your borders overlap a planet so you can mine stuff in there? The game is not clear, and I've removed a few outposts and been fine, but... :confused:

- Victory: do I really have to become the best at war or making friends to win? That seems, hmm. I got used to Civ/Endless Legend being all "you made enough money, congrats!" or similar.

Bigger ships comes through researching bigger spaceports in the physics tree. It might take a couple upgrades to it before you unlock the next hull, I don't remember the exact progression. However, each size upgrade will increase your fleet capacity.

Frontier outposts have a set amount of border expansion, but there isn't a good indicator of how your borders will change on an action. One thing to note is that more things adding border pressure still expands your overall territory. Usually people use frontier outposts as a pseudopod to reach out to some good systems faster or to block an opponent from gaining access to them, then go colonize, and later on scrap those.

Victory conditions are a bit sparse at the moment, to be honest. I assume they've got more planned, but I don't know where on the priority chain those are, maybe Wiz can chime in. Personally I find even in a lot of other games of this style the outcome is forgone in the late game (at least against AI), and you're just grinding it out till you get the screen.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Chalks posted:

Sounds like a really good idea.

I have never made an OP in my life, do I just make the new thread with the OP and someone closes the old one and we're good or do I need to ask a mod or something?

edit: Stellaris: You Can Purge for 15% Less With Gecko

fishception fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 20, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

canepazzo posted:

Big sweeping changes in 1.5, all of them seem amazing, but this little change here is fantastic.

Yeah, I really like that. As I replied to that tweet, while observing and uplifting species is an idea I always really liked, I never really got around to it because I'd always, well, forget. Whenever I first found primitives I never had the tech to do anything with them, then later on I forget they're there and so they wind up just sitting there. Little reminders that those guys are there will help a lot with that.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
What the UI needs is the option to toggle the display of stations, resources, planets, fleets, anomalies, research projects on and off individually. It's quite cluttered.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

But will it include icons for primitive civilisations? Since you can't rely on sectors to build observation stations, this is quite important.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/822418951011532801

Is it just me, or is that city and planet art new? I don't remember seeing either of those before (in fact I remember Gaia worlds using the same art as a regular planet type, despite the unique model, though I could me misremembering there admittedly), but they both look really nice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

I hope "primitive" includes stone-age civilizations, because those guys don't even show up in the empire-window. For some reason the game has no problem showing me where those Bronze-Age weirdos are, but stone-age? gently caress off, those are basically animals. Very funny, Stellaris. That one time where I accidentally colonized a planet with a forgotten stone-age civ on it and created a giant clusterfuck with hateful barbarians all around my colonists was a great joke!

If I can finally see them on a map, I'll hopefully stop forgetting they exist.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, she means Primitive Civilizations and Stone Age civs are changed to work like the rest of the primitives in Banks.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I have never made an OP in my life, do I just make the new thread with the OP and someone closes the old one and we're good or do I need to ask a mod or something?

edit: Stellaris: You Can Purge for 15% Less With Gecko

I think the OP of a thread can close it, so Baronjutter can probably post a link to the new thread and close this one.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Ok. OP is done. Feel free to PM me any criticisms or additions that should be added to the OP, such as funny images, suggested mods, etc. I also made a Discord channel for planning multiplayer games or just talking about Stellaris/other poo poo.

https://discord.gg/gGFayaj

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806554

fishception fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 20, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

What the UI needs is the option to toggle the display of stations, resources, planets, fleets, anomalies, research projects on and off individually. It's quite cluttered.

I agree. It seems backwards too, where you can toggle on and off the resources you aren't mining - I would find the opposite to be more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Yes, she means Primitive Civilizations and Stone Age civs are changed to work like the rest of the primitives in Banks.

Thank god

• Locked thread