Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So let's assume for a moment that the election from here on plays out exactly the way that a boring wonk like Nate Silver thinks that it will. The polls aren't radically off, there's no October surprise, no major terrorism incident, no dramatic economic collapse. Trump gets no traction outside his base and whites don't turn out in significantly larger numbers than last time. The Democratic base shows up on election day and finally fulfills the dark pact Hilary struck with the Old Ones strange aeons ago.

What do the next four years look like? I'm less interested in Hilary's specific policies, which I think we can reliably assume will be some mix of incremental progressivism plus a lot of corporate handouts, wars and lovely trade deals. I'm more interested in what happens to all the angry restive Bernouts and Trumpstaffel. The establishment faced a huge challenge this year: if it all comes to naught then what happens next?

This is your thread to speculate wildly about just how much more insane the pressure cooker of American politics gets if both Trump and Bernie are shut out of power. Everyone's pissed, the economy is probably gonna fall off a cliff again, and Hilldawg is in the White House. What kind of bizare domestic political fallout can you imagine?

Put another way, if Trump doesn't win (we'll just safely write off Col. Sanders at this point, I think his chicken is cooked) then what lasting impact might he and Bernie leave on the system, if any? Does the Establishment switch up its playbook, do either of the parties try to tap this new found energy, do new political movements appear on the scene? A few years ago do we look back on this election as a turning point, or just a really weird and brief interruption to our regularly scheduled programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine an american leftist (take a pick out of the 20 or so). They made a bunch of Trump = Hitler, and Trump = monkey signs. Those signs are now in the trash.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's not like she has "start a war" on a notepad somewhere and she's just waiting to put a check mark next to it on day 1, she's just more willing to use military force to solve problems that don't have a diplomatic solution than some of the other contenders for El Presidente. You're never gonna talk the Norks down off that ledge, it's ignore them, hope sanctions magically start working and hope they're just bullshitting about that nuke or bomb the poo poo out of them.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
*farts*

This is too hard, darn Republicans!

*farts*

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
Her time in office would closely resemble the elder Bush years, or maybe Ronald Reagan's terms with different pandering techniques.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
its the obama presidency + a new war in the middle east

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You also have to remember that Trump would still have a large, angry mob of supporters at his command if he loses

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
In terms of what the left will look like , I think it'll come down to what kind of ground game gets set up.

I listened to an episode of Majority Report that had Luke Mayville on, he wrote an article comparing FDR's American-style 'freedom' centered rhetoric versus Bernie's Euro-style 'fairness'.
It's a good article.

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/bernie-sanders-new-deal-liberal

Him and Michael Brooks have a pretty good convo as to what kind of candidate he is, they both agreed he can be seen as a Goldwater-type of candidate who can lay the groundwork for a longer-lasting ground game that is not dependent on electoral cycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMBCXKh-2g

Also, think there's a good chance 2020 could be bad for the Killer Ds

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LegoPirateNinja posted:

its the obama presidency + a new war in the middle east

correct answer

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Honest answer: probably a continuation of the stonewalling we've been seeing the last 8 years with even more flash and fervor. Republicans are willing to pull any shot at this point, as they've shown the party can continue regardless of it's actions through 2020 at least. Very likely the GOP will successfully create the narrative that Hillary is even worse than Obama and the majority of Americans will eat it up, continuing the social shift to the Right as government shifts ever-so-slightly Left. Meanwhile Hillary will be more moderate than Obama, giving further support to corporations and things like legal arbitration will continue. Citizens United may be struck down as a show of solidarity with the middle class, but I would be shocked to see a tax structure that actually works to balance our current '1%' issues. I also doubt we'll see the corrections Obamacare could use, as Hillary's gone counter to the desire for a single-payer system. Hillary will have to force through any real decisions, will be successfully blamed for all of America's current and future problems, and if she wins in 2020 this will continue through to 2024 which will echo 2016 and 2008.

Essentially, nothing matters.

Atoramos has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Mar 17, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

EugeneJ posted:

You also have to remember that Trump would still have a large, angry mob of supporters at his command if he loses

I actually think this is the way more interesting question. I just kind of assume Clinton will deliver the same mix of plutocracy and milquetoast token liberalism that Obama, Clinton I and Carter have been offering up ever since the 1970s. I'm honestly more interested in what happens to the Tea Party, the Sanderistas, the Trumpers, etc.

The last Clinton presidency gave us the militia movement. Obama gave us both Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party. What kind of strident angry populist monstrosity will Clinton midwife into existence? :munch:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EugeneJ posted:

I don't think they will be a factor. People are always upset when they lose, but nobody pays attention to the losing party's shenanigans because the people have spoken through an election. Trump's shenanigans have weight now because he's winning primaries and people are trying to ratfuck him out of it.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

I actually think this is the way more interesting question. I just kind of assume Clinton will deliver the same mix of plutocracy and milquetoast token liberalism that Obama, Clinton I and Carter have been offering up ever since the 1970s. I'm honestly more interested in what happens to the Tea Party, the Sanderistas, the Trumpers, etc.

The last Clinton presidency gave us the militia movement. Obama gave us both Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party. What kind of strident angry populist monstrosity will Clinton midwife into existence? :munch:

Of course, there's not a single chance in hell that Clinton will beat Trump in the fall. She will lose miserably.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Endless outsourcing and foreverwar

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't think they will be a factor. People are always upset when they lose, but nobody pays attention to the losing party's shenanigans because the people have spoken through an election. Trump's shenanigans have weight now because he's winning primaries and people are trying to ratfuck him out of it.

Nah, McCain/Palin's rise and fall is what really led to the Tea Party. Trump will almost certainly leave a wake in our society, especially if he's the general nominee as seems to be the case.

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Of course, there's not a single chance in hell that Clinton will beat Trump in the fall. She will lose miserably.

I think the general will be a wild, raucous ride that will change social discourse for the foreseeable future, just like McCain/Palin was. I think there's a real chance either candidate can win, and saying Clinton has no chance against Trump is myopic.

Atoramos has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Mar 17, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EugeneJ posted:

The Malheur Refuge occupation is a good indicator that (a) that mob is made up of people who won't do poo poo outside of a few die hards (b) the entire mob is dumber than poo poo and law enforcement will be able to run circles around them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

I can see Trump saying to his supporters "go to Hillary's rallies and stand up for America!" and then the violence starts.

Not that anyone wants to go to Hillary rallies now to begin with.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Endless outsourcing and foreverwar

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Not much different

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

As a leftist, I see a lot of good to look forward to here.

Just a few examples:

Further federal oversight of police, de-escalation of militarized police, body cameras, an end to the era of mass incarceration, and the lopsided criminal justice system:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...and.single.html
Which she has an incentive to act on because it would differentiate her from Bill Clinton:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/hillary-clintons-criminal-justice-plan-reverse-bills-policies-117488

A plan to lower the cost of prescription drugs:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/hillary-clinton-prescription-drugs-health-care-213910

A $10 billion plan to stop the abuse of opioids and heroin in America (a rampant epidemic):

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/09/04/3698585/a-deeper-look-inside-hillary-clintons-plan-to-tackle-the-substance-abuse-epidemic/

An enormous and hugely necessary proposal to beef up infrastructure spending/create an infrastructure bank:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/hillary-clintons-modest-infrastructure-proposal/418068/

Automatic voter registration (!!!), restoring parts of the Voting Rights Act, more early voting opportunities:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-clinton-calls-for-automatic-voter-registration-1433449800

And a reasonable, more measured approach to raising the minimum wage:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/11/15/hillary_clinton_was_right_on_minimum_wage_and_her_rivals_were_wrong.html

This is far from a worst case scenario. Heck, if she even got just one of these things through I'd be pretty happy. Can't be much worse at politics than B. Obama

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Of course, there's not a single chance in hell that Clinton will beat Drumpf in the fall. She will lose miserably.

Drumpfer is at -67 among women. Highest negatives of any candidate ever. Just trot women out there to read quotes by him like that Romney PAC did, just use different actresses. He's done. If that doesn't work, play his Mexican quotes. You want to motivate a demographic, run somebody they hate. He's toast.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

I can see Trump saying to his supporters "go to Hillary's rallies and stand up for America!" and then the violence starts.

Not that anyone wants to go to Hillary rallies now to begin with.

Trump may act like he's legally invincible from claims like 'Inciting violence' but if his statements are shown to directly lead to someone's death we could see an actual attempt to arrest him. Mind you, I expect that too would turn into a shitshow.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This is far from a worst case scenario. Heck, if she even got just one of these things through I'd be pretty happy. Can't be much worse at politics than B. Obama

Perhaps I'm jaded from Obama's presidency, but I don't see Hillary ever being further to the Left than Obama, and I doubt her ability or desire to pass meaningful policy decisions like (some of) these. Time may prove me wrong, and I truly hope it does, but my expectations are for Hillary to be to Obama's Right while claiming to be to his Left.

Atoramos has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Mar 17, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Capping your drug costs at $3000/year isn't going to fix poo poo

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

menino posted:

Drumpfer is at -67 among women. Highest negatives of any candidate ever. Just trot women out there to read quotes by him like that Romney PAC did, just use different actresses. He's done. If that doesn't work, play his Mexican quotes. You want to motivate a demographic, run somebody they hate. He's toast.

There is no more highly motivated group than Trumpsters. They're not socially adept enough in many cases to do caucuses, but they can sure go vote.

On the other hand, good luck to Hillary with all of those older white women voting. She will leave many, many voters painfully behind.

The real tragedy will be how Hillary's poor voter turnout will translate into congressional races. She's more damaging to Democrats than Trump is to Republicans, but the media (General Electric, Disney, etc.) isn't discussing that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Capping your drug costs at $3000/year isn't going to fix poo poo

Letting the government negotiate the cost of prescription drugs absolutely will, which ironically both Hillary and Trump agree on, and has been a liberal pipe dream for years.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Vitalis Jackson posted:

On the other hand, good luck to Hillary with all of those older white women voting.

They're probably the demographic with highest turnout. Is this a joke?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
She'll be basically Obama 2.0 and the situation will gradually get better because the right wing can't keep crying wolf about the liberals ending America and setting up death camps forever.

Demographics will continue to swing against them, what the GOP do about it is up to them. GOP will probably introduce new rules to remove WTA from their primary process.

Edit: you don't win points for motivation in the election. Fervour like trumpers show is actually alienating. Hillary will pick up the quiet majority of status quo voters. It'll be 2012 all over again.

Fangz has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Mar 17, 2016

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

if Hillary literally only gets automatic voter registration to secure her own re-election and defends the Obama status quo 100% after that she will still be one of America's greatest presidents in my book.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just a few examples:

Further federal oversight of police, de-escalation of militarized police, body cameras, an end to the era of mass incarceration, and the lopsided criminal justice system:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...and.single.html
Which she has an incentive to act on because it would differentiate her from Bill Clinton:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/hillary-clintons-criminal-justice-plan-reverse-bills-policies-117488

A plan to lower the cost of prescription drugs:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/hillary-clinton-prescription-drugs-health-care-213910

A $10 billion plan to stop the abuse of opioids and heroin in America (a rampant epidemic):

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/09/04/3698585/a-deeper-look-inside-hillary-clintons-plan-to-tackle-the-substance-abuse-epidemic/

An enormous and hugely necessary proposal to beef up infrastructure spending/create an infrastructure bank:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/hillary-clintons-modest-infrastructure-proposal/418068/

Automatic voter registration (!!!), restoring parts of the Voting Rights Act, more early voting opportunities:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-clinton-calls-for-automatic-voter-registration-1433449800

And a reasonable, more measured approach to raising the minimum wage:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/11/15/hillary_clinton_was_right_on_minimum_wage_and_her_rivals_were_wrong.html

actually none of these

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Letting the government negotiate the cost of prescription drugs absolutely will, which ironically both Hillary and Trump agree on, and has been a liberal pipe dream for years.

Oh hey, guess who takes more money from Pharma companies than any other candidate?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/257234-clinton-brings-in-most-big-pharma-money-of-2016-field

quote:

Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton has received more campaign cash from drug companies than any candidate in either party, even as she proudly declares the industry is one of her biggest enemies.

Clinton accepted $164,315 in the first six months of the campaign from drug companies, far more than the rest of the 2016 field, according to an analysis by Stat News.

Cash from drug companies poured in despite Clinton’s tough public stance on the industry. Last month, she unveiled a plan to combat rising drug prices by clamping down on the rules for pharmaceuticals. In last week’s Democratic debate, she listed off drug companies among the enemies she is most proud to have made in politics.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

menino posted:

They're probably the demographic with highest turnout. Is this a joke?

I don't think Vitalis actually has a reasonable view of things. Trump may have an energetic base, but his struggle to put the threat of contested convention behind him shows how meager the base really is. He has a chance, but I think the likeliest result is a blowout in favor of Clinton.

Fangz posted:

She'll be basically Obama 2.0 and the situation will gradually get better because the right wing can't keep crying wolf about the liberals ending America and setting up death camps forever.

Why not? It's worked for 8 years straight and with a Clinton administration will work just fine for another 8. Demographics may shift, but that didn't prevent a conservative 2012 and might not prevent the same in 2016.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
something like this

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
An executive action rescinding the 2nd amendment followed by a civil war that ends with working class whites being enslaved to wall street as "reparations" for slavery. Illegal immigrants who fought for the plutocrats will win their citizenship. Upper class liberals will applaud this progressive victory.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

An executive action rescinding the 2nd amendment followed by a civil war that ends with working class whites being enslaved to wall street as "reparations" for slavery.

So everyone's going to get a 401k?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Atoramos posted:

Why not? It's worked for 8 years straight and with a Clinton administration will work just fine for another 8. Demographics may shift, but that didn't prevent a conservative 2012 and might not prevent the same in 2016.

Define worked. GOP favourability's fallen like a stone while Democratic favourability isn't shifting.

http://www.pewresearch.org/data-trend/political-attitudes/republican-party-favorability/

http://www.pewresearch.org/data-trend/political-attitudes/republican-party-favorability/

While Democratic affiliation is pretty much static, former GOP voters are rebranding themselves as 'independent'. The net result of all that rhetoric is that there's not much shift in the democratic vote while republican voters don't trust anyone any more. This is a losing strategy.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/28/467961962/sick-of-political-parties-unaffiliated-voters-are-changing-politics

Fangz has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Mar 17, 2016

• Locked thread