Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

EugeneJ posted:

Oh hey, guess who takes more money from Pharma companies than any other candidate?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/257234-clinton-brings-in-most-big-pharma-money-of-2016-field

I never doubted this! She has taken lots of money from many different industries and places, such is our election system today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Fangz posted:

Define worked. GOP favourability's fallen like a stone while Democratic favourability isn't shifting.

While Democratic affiliation is pretty much static, former GOP voters are rebranding themselves as 'independent'. The net result of all that rhetoric is that there's not much shift in the democratic vote while republican voters don't trust anyone any more. This is a losing strategy.

Worked as in, favourability on that graph seems to match between now and 2012, and the GOP were able to have a blowout election that year. Ultimately, these independents are folding right back into the right when it comes time to vote.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Atoramos posted:

Worked as in, favourability on that graph seems to match between now and 2012, and the GOP were able to have a blowout election that year. Ultimately, these independents are folding right back into the right when it comes time to vote.

I think you and I have a different notion of what a 'blowout' election is.

EugeneJ posted:

Oh hey, guess who takes more money from Pharma companies than any other candidate?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/257234-clinton-brings-in-most-big-pharma-money-of-2016-field

I don't think less than 0.1% of her funding coming from employees of pharma companies is that important. The left tend to do better among the tech sectors.

http://static1.uk.businessinsider.com/image/5457fa88dd0895e4048b460c-1200-429/professions_league_table.png

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

I don't think less than 0.1% of her funding coming from employees of pharma companies is that important.

She is the Pharma candidate. All the Pharma money is going to her.

Why would she hurt Pharma with major reform?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

All the Pharma money? You might wanna read that article again, buddy.

You're also assuming here that pharma employees are uniformly opposed to reform.

Fangz has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

unironically shocked by manual labor

quick someone upload the pic of Bernie being repulsed by a hammer and nails

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

You're also assuming here that pharma employees are uniformly opposed to reform.

Lone wolf Robin Hood Pharma employees wanting to make less money and give up their jobs

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Lone wolf Robin Hood Pharma employees wanting to make less money and give up their jobs

As I showed earlier, pharma sector workers are actually on average *more left wing* than the general public. Maybe major reform just isn't a dealbreaker for them, also.

And as I said, saying Clinton got 'all the pharma money' is just nonsense. She's the individual candidate with the most - which puts her at a *third* of the total amount. On the right, they actually got more, but it was split amongst the crazy number of crazy candidates they have.

Fangz has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Mar 17, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

As I showed earlier, pharma sector workers are actually on average *more left wing* than the general public.

That chart's from the UK, you fool

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Helsing posted:

I actually think this is the way more interesting question. I just kind of assume Clinton will deliver the same mix of plutocracy and milquetoast token liberalism that Obama, Clinton I and Carter have been offering up ever since the 1970s. I'm honestly more interested in what happens to the Tea Party, the Sanderistas, the Trumpers, etc.

The last Clinton presidency gave us the militia movement. Obama gave us both Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party. What kind of strident angry populist monstrosity will Clinton midwife into existence? :munch:

My pipe dream would be that jaded Trump and Bernie followers coalesce into a viable third party aimed at tackling their shared grievances (assuming there are a few), like campaign finance reform, ending crony capitalist handouts to corporations who don't pay taxes, etc. I seriously doubt that could ever happen given how different both groups are otherwise, but if all the populist anger against how the middle class is getting screwed doesn't find fruition in this round of electoral politics and the Repulicans and Democrats show no signs of addressing some of these concerns, a third party where the Trump and Sanders followers basically joined forces to deal with these problems would be dope af.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

That chart's from the UK, you fool

The UK don't call the left 'liberals', nor are PACs a thing, idiot.

It's from this organisation.

https://www.crowdpac.com/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Man, the Sanderistas are getting prickly now that their guy is effectively out of the running.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Here's a political affiliation-by-industry graph from a different source if you doubt that one.
http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2015/02/24/the-most-democratic-and-republican-industries-in-america/

Yeah, there's some right wingers in pharma, but there's also a lot of very left wing people, as you might expect from an industry with close links to academia. Shockingly not everyone does medical research for the money.

There's about a million pharma workers in the US, of which more than half are left of center. Wow-wee those people gave an average of about 40 cents each to Hillary. Such corruption.

Fangz has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Mar 17, 2016

gregday
May 23, 2003

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
It will be like a less remarkable Nixon Administration

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I never doubted this! She has taken lots of money from many different industries and places, such is our election system today.

But Bernie and Trump dont?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Trump is rich enough to not have to fundraise, while Bernie has just raised less money, full stop. He still got 70k from the healthcare industry though, it's actually his fifth biggest sector of contributions.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Helsing posted:

Put another way, if Trump doesn't win (we'll just safely write off Col. Sanders at this point, I think his chicken is cooked) then what lasting impact might he and Bernie leave on the system, if any? Does the Establishment switch up its playbook, do either of the parties try to tap this new found energy, do new political movements appear on the scene?

Nothing will happen. If Hillary wins she'll have a do nothing Presidency that will have to withstand 10,000 Republican legal challenges... essentially years that will just be a huge waste of time for America.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
A lot like Obama, but less charismatic and with worse speeches

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Literally this!!!

But instead of South America and Afganista-

wait nvm

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

First two years of a Clinton presidency looks something like this:

2017:
- Inauguration about how we need to come together + look how far women have come
- Dem-controlled Senate puts the woman Hillary nominated on the SCOTUS (lol if you think she'll nominate Obama)
- Like Obama, decides to tackle an issue besides wealth inequality first. Probably climate change
- The bill ends up being a super lovely, watered down version of a carbon credit trading scheme; hailed as a small but incremental step by liberals
- Some feel-good bill for equal pay or whatever that the GOP feels obligated to pass given that 62% of women voted for Hillary; hailed as a small but incremental step by liberals
- Inflation and pay inches upwards, so the Fed feels the need to raise interest rates back to "normal"
- Third Intifada breaks out; Hillary urges calm while secretly supporting Israel behind the scenes

2018:
- Hillary decides to flex her muscle versus the Iranians/Chinese and puts us into a needlessly-dangerous crisis
- Republicans decide to stop going along with even nominally bipartisan efforts and just stop doing anything
- Infuriated Trumpstaffel turn out in record numbers in November, hammering the Dems and retaking control of the Senate

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

EugeneJ posted:

beyond the point others made about individual employees at these companies not perfectly representing shareholder interests, those who are in the top ranks tend to blanket donate according to likelihood of winning - and hillary has been a clear frontrunner on the D side the whole way

Also, "all the pharma money is going to her" is a bit disingenuous given the three republicans listed in that article together have received more than her

all that said, I do think Hillary would successfully push this given how big of a deal she's made of it - but of course it would be a compromise with republican legislators, so it won't satisfy anyone on the left and will infuriate the right, in classic hillary form

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
oil's way too cheap. we'll wage war on iran and whatever other producers are on the bad side of the house of saud

Lamebot has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Mar 18, 2016

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Read 1984 and replace "Big Brother" with its feminine form.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Anyone who thinks that the Clinton presidency is going to be anything other than another 8 years of Obama is delusional.

MAYO FETISH
Feb 15, 2016
if u "donate" 100k to the clinton foundation you get to control an armed drone over manhattan and snipe people (maximum of 3 confirmed kills only, 50k for every kill after) from the oval office while bill clinton furiously jerks off on chatroulette and hillary does lines of high grade colombian cocaine off of the constitution

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

goatse.cx posted:

Anyone who thinks that the Clinton presidency is going to be anything other than another 8 years of Obama is delusional.

hell yea

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

4 more years of obama.

We'll get a few nice things like expanded rights for women and such, but not a lot of progress will be made from the point we're already at.

Very mediocre IMO.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

goatse.cx posted:

Except for the neoconservatism, of course.

Trump is a racist for wanting a temporary ban on Muslim immigration. Instead, we should accept Syrian refugees while constantly bombing the poo poo out of their relatives. :thumbsup:

Rapprochement with Iran or Russia? gently caress that! These people are our foreverenemies.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
can we declare iraq and afghanistan states yet

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
:lol: at the idea Iraq will ever be a real functioning state again

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

The Saurus posted:

Except for the neoconservatism, of course.

Trump is a racist for wanting a temporary ban on Muslim immigration. Instead, we should accept Syrian refugees while constantly bombing the poo poo out of their relatives. :thumbsup:

Rapprochement with Iran or Russia? gently caress that! These people are our foreverenemies.

Yeah, but you're an Australian, mate. What do you care

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Well rest assured, it will all work out to eventually align with my politics :)

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

goatse.cx posted:

Yeah, but you're an Australian, mate. What do you care

Please don't misgender me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
She'll take the Oath of Office, immediately turn and serve Bill the divorce papers, then levitate high above DC and spread her wings, unleashing the Terrigen Mists that neuter all men forever.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If she dumps Bill and marries Huma - does Huma become the First Lady? Or the Second Lady?

I'm going to go with "Second Pair of Scissors"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all balls will be kept in a jar by the sink get it fellas har har har

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatse.cx posted:

let's not forget the various issues on which hillary is significantly to the right of obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

You also have to remember that Trump would still have a large, angry mob of supporters at his command if he loses
You know how people complain the media coverage for the next presidential election always start way too soon? Well, i expect a permanent Trump 2020 campaign, starting from the moment when he loses this cycle.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Mar 18, 2016

• Locked thread