Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

they were inherently piss by nature, and were largely piss on the fringes, but had the potential to not be piss

the England team that went to France 98 was:

Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Le Saux, Campbell, Southgate, Adams, Keown, R. Ferdinand, Good Neville, Ince, Beckham, McManaman, Scholes, Batty, Lee, Anderton, Merson, Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, L. Ferdinand

darren anderton was always a wasteman and I'm glad he's dead now but lots of those players were actual good phwoar players and not people who are totally going to be good "any day now, honest" which seems to be the new standard for starting for England

Im convinced that if Giggs was English, England couldve won this World Cup handily. Man U was the best club in the world at the time. If you look at how Spain won with a majority Barce side and Germany with Bayern, you'd have to think having that midfield intact would've worked wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

euro 96 always felt like the biggest near miss to me. But maybe its cos I was so young.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

opus111 posted:

euro 96 always felt like the biggest near miss to me. But maybe its cos I was so young.

I think it's fair to say that Germany won that tournament.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
England should have won Euro 2004 that was a good team

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Spangly A posted:

Seaman, Martyn and Flowers to Joe Hart

Le Saux and Neville to Walker and Rose

Ince and Scholes to Dier and Drinkwater

loving hell

i think you'll find that noted morons danny rose and kyle walker run The Best Defense In England

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

African AIDS cum posted:

England should have won Euro 2004 that was a good team

rip the good Wayne Rooney

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Monday Bandele posted:

The 2002 squad was even better, despite Gnev being injured.

Gerrard, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
defoe is more deserving of going to the euros than rooney

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Tom Heaton is replacing Hart as the third goalkeeper. Sterling is ruled out as well but there aren't any plans to replace him. Because god forbid you use international friendlies to try out new players for your squad

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

code:
boiled
horse
meat

suarez is Uruguayan

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
its comeing home

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MoPZiG posted:

Im convinced that if Giggs was English, England couldve won this World Cup handily. Man U was the best club in the world at the time. If you look at how Spain won with a majority Barce side and Germany with Bayern, you'd have to think having that midfield intact would've worked wonders.

I've often thought this.

opus111 posted:

the England team was incredible in that tournament, we would have beaten Germany if Gazza was a yard quicker.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

The 2002 squad was even better, despite Gnev being injured.

Goalkeepers:

1 David Seaman (Arsenal)
13 Nigel Martyn (Leeds United)
22 David James (West Ham United)

Defence:

2 Danny Mills (Leeds United)
3 Ashley Cole (Arsenal)
5 Rio Ferdinand (Leeds United)
6 Sol Campbell (Arsenal)
12 Wes Brown (Manchester United)
14 Wayne Bridge (Southampton)
15 Martin Keown (Arsenal)
16 Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough)

Midfield:

4 Trevor Sinclair (West Ham United)
7 David Beckham (Manchester United)
8 Paul Scholes (Manchester United)
18 Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
19 Joe Cole (West Ham United)
21 Nicky Butt (Manchester United)
23 Kieron Dyer (Newcastle United)

Forwards:

9 Robbie Fowler (Leeds United)
10 Michael Owen (Liverpool)
11 Emile Heskey (Liverpool)
17 Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham Hotspur)
20 Darius Vassell (Aston Villa)

That cup was wide open too, though maybe it's better that we lost fair and square instead of getting refballed out like Italy and Spain

Yeah this is a bad loving team.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There should be a thread for posting your favorite rose-tinted turd teams.

edit: Oh wait, just saw the title, sorry.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Play 433 with front three of Vardy Kane and Lallanna or Sterling midfield three of Dier Alli and idk Noble or Drinkwater and back four of Clyne Smalling Cahill and Cresswell. Please do not let Rooney or Walcott near this team.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rooney up front supported on the wings by Walcott and Townsend, phwoar yes please ROY

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Why the gently caress is Roy Hodgson still England manager?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Tom Heaton is replacing Hart as the third goalkeeper. Sterling is ruled out as well but there aren't any plans to replace him. Because god forbid you use international friendlies to try out new players for your squad

tbf if roy calls someone up as a replacement just to sit them on the bench it's a complete timewaste for them

if he makes 11 substitutes at half-time everyone calls him a twat and FIFA make a rule

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I feel like we can do better than smalling at cb. What about cathcart?

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Phil Jones lmfao

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If we can get out of our group, I think we can go all the way to the quarter finals.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

straight up brolic posted:

Genuinely no one else who is England and worth sacking him for. Which is depressing.

To be fair, the WC was a great shame but it was qualified for at a canter, as were the Euros. He makes annoying squad selections too often but at least he's trying to play the right starting XI (the starting eleven versus Italy was quite adventurous for him with a good performance despite losing).

I think we will win the group, get past some frauds in the second round then lose to a bigger side in the quarters. Same as it ever was.

I am looking forward to Kane and Vardy schooling some euro failure garbage men.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

cant see past England in this year, and not because they're fat haha - it's coming home

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Will England even have any fans willing to go to the tournament after millions were killed in racial attacks in Poland/Ukraine? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18192375

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I've got friends going over to France and I really, really wish I could afford to :(

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I heard that footballs coming home, can anyone confirm this ITT?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

The FA is an equal opportunities employer

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

track day bro! posted:

I'm sure England will find a way to claim Gareth Bale's victory as their own, don't worry.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

track day bro! posted:

it is

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

britishbornandbread posted:

I've got friends going over to France and I really, really wish I could afford to :(

you can travel to France quite cheaply these days

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Breath Ray posted:

this

tbh if anyone here is from london i'd highly recommend they consider walking it

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

African AIDS cum posted:

Will England even have any fans willing to go to the tournament after millions were killed in racial attacks in Poland/Ukraine? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18192375

Chuggo went and the stupid poles thought he was one of their own all dressed up racistly

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

MoPZiG posted:

Man U was the best club in the world at the time.

no they werent lol also massively downplaying the importance of players like Keane to the success of that midfield

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

fat gay nonce posted:

Chuggo went and the stupid poles thought he was one of their own all dressed up racistly

the perfect crime

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
England would be quite decent if they played completely on the counter. They have the players to do it now and they're mostly pretty decent

gently caress trying to dictate games imo. Just kill teams with pace

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
we should play 4-4-2 and bring gerrard, lamps & big jt

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Luke Shaw somehow still in the running for a place in the team according to Sky :pwn:

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Wtf, he doesn't even play for a big team

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Breath Ray posted:

I'd even mega bus it across the channel but accommodation prices will be murder over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

julian assflange posted:

Luke Shaw somehow still in the running for a place in the team according to Sky :pwn:

Roy said if he gets back to full fitness then he will consider him, yes. And why wouldn't he? Shaw plays for Manchester United.

• Locked thread