Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

Some decent players in that squad but hard to pick a balanced side imo. None of the wide options are inspiring so bring back the Terry Venables christmas tree formation

Yeah this is my thought two. Vardy, Sturridge and Kane are all legitimately good options up front and all offer something unique but I can't see any of them being played at the same time.

Hart; Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Bertand; Dier, Alli, Henderson; Lallana, Sterling; Kane

That looks to be decent enough but can't help but feel that they'd be better off going tye Leicester route and worry less about possession and more about counter attacking with pace. If that's the case I'd swap out Kane for Vardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

mmmm lets get some code tags going people

code:
 hart clyne cahill smalling bertrand dier henderson lallana alli sterling vardy
mmm tasty

I'd also take Vardy over Kane tbh but I can't see Hodgson doing the same.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

The 2002 squad was even better, despite Gnev being injured.

Goalkeepers:

1 David Seaman (Arsenal)
13 Nigel Martyn (Leeds United)
22 David James (West Ham United)

Defence:

2 Danny Mills (Leeds United)
3 Ashley Cole (Arsenal)
5 Rio Ferdinand (Leeds United)
6 Sol Campbell (Arsenal)
12 Wes Brown (Manchester United)
14 Wayne Bridge (Southampton)
15 Martin Keown (Arsenal)
16 Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough)

Midfield:

4 Trevor Sinclair (West Ham United)
7 David Beckham (Manchester United)
8 Paul Scholes (Manchester United)
18 Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
19 Joe Cole (West Ham United)
21 Nicky Butt (Manchester United)
23 Kieron Dyer (Newcastle United)

Forwards:

9 Robbie Fowler (Leeds United)
10 Michael Owen (Liverpool)
11 Emile Heskey (Liverpool)
17 Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham Hotspur)
20 Darius Vassell (Aston Villa)

That cup was wide open too, though maybe it's better that we lost fair and square instead of getting refballed out like Italy and Spain

Yeah this is a bad loving team.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

People choosing Walker over Clyne are dumb imo. Clyne has had one bad game all season, against United the other day, and has easily been our most consistent player. Walker is a brainless moron who happens to be a good athlete.

Also I would really rather Sturridge not play for England this Euro. Kane and Vardy have to go and you know Hodgson will take Rooney and Welbeck so it's not like he has to go.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Have any of you seen Walker play for England?

We've been pretty inconsistent all season but Clyne has been great. Defensively he's one of the best fullbacks we've had in a long time.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

I like that lineup, central defence aside but there's gently caress all choice there. Welbeck owns and will score the winner.

Yeah I honestly don't see the issue with this. It's not like there are amazing players missing out.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Hodgson is a good manager and Liverpool fans should just get over it

I'll give you two good reasons why he wasn't
1. Paul Konchesky
2. Christian Poulsen

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

he was a bad liverpool manager for sure but i don't think that makes him a bad manager

Yeah I don't think he's a terrible manager but he's really not very good. Just wait till he throws Rooney back in the team at the cost of one of the three strikers in the team that are better.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brighterday posted:

Definitely bin Rooney, look how well united have been doing without him, kane and vardy will definitely score many goals like that in a competitive game yessir

You're right. Can't wait to see Gilardino and Luca Toni up front for Italy because they scored more goals than their current forwards.

Rooney scoring goals against the absolute minnows of Europe isn't that impressive. You think Kane and Vardy wouldn't have scored a bunch had they been selected? Both offer far more than Rooney these days and are actually able to play in a system instead of being woefully undisciplined positionally.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brighterday posted:

Rooney is the closest we've got to a playmaker, and no team without a playmaker has ever achieved anything of note. He's had a bad year but he has the highest ceiling of any England player so he has to start as a 10 and we have to hope things click. You leave him out and we will play boring, stodgy, fearful and uncreative football and get thrown out by the first half decent team we meet without them breaking a sweat. I hope I'm wrong but this is all I see.

This is so wrong I'm tempted to say wrong thread.

Was the last time you saw Rooney play in 2004?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Agree op

But Milner, Walcott and Stones can gently caress off imo

Milner is a good option due to being able to play basically anywhere but he shouldn't be starting.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Frankston posted:

Rooney is world class

Lol Rooney shouldn't even be in the squad.

Teams have won Euro without having any world class players- you just have to play to your strengths. I think England could win but I don't think Hodgson has the know how or the balls to do that.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

fat gay nonce posted:

I'm interested in your ideas, what does hodgson need to do that he doesn't have the skills or balls to achieve?

I think he'll try play possession football with Rooney in the team. That's fine against the minnows that England played in the qualifiers but as soon as they play Spain, Germany (not in a friendly) or France they'll struggle.

I think they're better off playing counter attacking football with players in actual form.

Hart
Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Rose
Henderson - Dier
Lallana - Alli - Vardy
Kane

Or swap out Vardy for Wellback or Sterling and bring him on to run at tired legs or chase the game.

That for me is a team that has a lot of pace and work rate and almost everyone is in form and playing in the right position.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

Vardy on the wing is classic England selection policy lmao

Yeah he's sort of the only square peg in a round hole but everyone else isn't being shoehorned in and most are in good form

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

wtf is hendo doing in there

Yeah it's kinda hard to warrant his inclusion but he does a lot of the dirty work in midfield and is pretty disciplined. I think if Wilshere was fit and playing he'd be the one to sit out but he's dead and there aren't that many better options.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Mark Noble should be in that midfield

Noble and Drinkwater are both decent but Henderson is far more mobile than both and I think that's where England's strength lies.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Cahill isn't great but he's quick and is probably more reliable than Stones at this point. I'd probably have Stones play against the teams you'd expect to have possession against and Cahill against the teams you wouldn't.

Henderson is a weird one. I think he's better than Noble and Drinkwater but going on current form I'd probably agree that he should be on the bench.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

elbkaida posted:

I want to see England play

Clyne - Smalling - Jones - Rose
     Dier
 Lallana - Alli - Sterling
   Kane - Vardy

Every game would end 5-4

This is good except what the gently caress is Jones doing in there? :wtf:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There are a lot of bad players there but there's also some good ones.

Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose/Bertrand
Dier Drinkwater
Lallana Alli Vardy
Kane

Do it Roy!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Walcott's not going because he's not played enough, Wilshere's going because he presumably has incriminating photos of Roy

Walcott isn't going because he's not very good.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wayne Rooney is not better than the options up front and is no where near disciplined enough to play in midfield. Putting him in the starting eleven is insane. It's also what Hodgson will do.

GK- Hart. Forster is not much of a step down but Hart has experience at this level and hasn't been a disaster for England at all.

RB- Clyne. Not as good going forward as Walker but very rarely makes mistakes and is an excellent defender.

LB- Rose/Bertrand. Neither are amazing but better than other options until Shaw is back.

CB- Smalling. England's best centre back.

CB- Cahill. Better than any of the other options.

DM- Dier. Been excellent all season

CM- Alli. Good attacking threat and works hard.

CM- Drinkwater. Knows how to play in a team that doesn't need possession and is in great form.

AM- Lallana. Flawed but has an insane work rate and is in good form.

ST- Vardy. In form, lightening quick, great work rate

ST- Kane. Best finisher in the league, amazing form.

England aren't going to out play the top sides so play counter attacking football. The players are there to do it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

It feels dumb to discount Rooney's experience and leadership and the fact he's played well for United in recent weeks in midfield and has a good range of passing.

He shouldn't be starting up front given the options but just handwaving him off with a "he's poo poo" is becoming a TRP meme.

The preferred choices for the positions you could see Rooney in have all played a poo poo load of football this season and the Spurs players being lauded completely loving collapsed under pressure and fatigue and ended up finishing behind an Arsenal team everyone knows are poo poo, when it was completely within their control to push Leicester to the wire. Referees at the Euros will be far less forgiving than Premier League refs, there needs to be a mix of seniority and youth in the side for it to be balanced and make sure players like Alli don't lose their cool and get a straight red.

Wilshere's inclusion is ridiculous. I can understand Rashford being in the 26 for some experience, I very much doubt he'll be in the 23.

Agree in the Wilshere thing.

As for Rooney do you think he should be anywhere near the starting line up? I don't think he's poo poo and he should definitely be in the squad but there are much better options in the positions he'd likely play.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Vardy has to start imo. Play a 442 diamond.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

has henderson ever had a decent game for england? he's been poo poo every time i've seen him

I think he's one of those players that managers like because he does a lot of the dirty off the ball work. Central midfield is actually pretty weak for England so I'd say he's lucky to be there. On form Milner should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Milner has been really good this year (after being shite for the first half of the season) and I'd have him starting over Wilshere and Henderson.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the decision to take Wilshere, or, to a lesser degree, Henderson.

Yeah neither should be in the team due to form and injuries. The fact that Henderson will most likely start over Jimmy is pretty stupid too imo.

In saying that neither are terrible like some English players have been in the past.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

England won't win poo poo under Hodgson and won't win poo poo trying to shoehorn Rooney into the side.

Yes, he scored some goals, but with him starting you completely gently caress up the entire team. Two strikers hight on confidence and banging in all the goals? Throw them out wide.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The team is imbalanced as gently caress because Owl Face keeps trying to shoehorn all the best players into the side.

It's coming home in the second round.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'd like to see Sturridge start ahead of Kane bit Vardy still coming off the bench.

Lallana has been pretty good so far even if he can only play for an hour before fading.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I think this is my favouite one of his yet.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I honestly think England should give the job to Allardyce. No matter how he does it will be funny.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Montasque posted:

Gareth Southgate is the favourite to replace Hodgson according to bookies.

Cool another no balls loser who will keep that status quo.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

I'm not trying to say there's a combination of English players that would have gone on to win it but I'm pretty sure there's an England team combination that should be loving beating Iceland ffs

Still starting Joe Shart after he'd made one minor and one major blunder, both leading to goals, for him to gift Iceland the winner would be a good place to start. Iceland shut up shop after their second and we saw against Slovakia we don't know what to do about that.

Trying to shoehorn Rooney and two other strikers in the side was always going to gently caress the team up.

Whoever manages next needs put together a team rather than a collection of players.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

England should go one of two ways.

Embrace their shitness and give the job to Fat Sam or Pulis. You'll likely get better results and it will be funny although incredibly painful viewing.

Go all out and give the job to Bielsa. The football will be good and at least when you lose it will be entertaining.

What will actually happen is the job will go to someone completely uninspiring like Southgate and nothing will change. The same poo poo players will be picked and the same excuses will be made.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

If we couldn't manage to get past the quarter finals of a competition with the likes of Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Neville et al in their primes, it's going to take more than a mere manager change now, regardless of whom that manager is.

They did poorly for the same reason the current lot do. I don't know if it's player power or pressure from the English FA but they need a manager who is capable of putting together a team rather than picking all the 'star' players out and shoehorning them into a formation they're unsuited to.

Just give the job to Allardyce. He's an unlikable piece of poo poo but he doesn't strike me as someone who panders to other people's whims. Also imagine Deli Alli a recalled Kevin Nolan getting on the end of of all those Carroll knockdowns. Phwoar!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Supposedly Hiddink is keen on the job. As much as I would like Allardyce for comedy's sake I think Hiddink would be great.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Allardyce taking charge would be loving hilarious. I just hope he sticks to his guns and doesn't try to become Allardici. I want to see Carroll up front and some hard cunts in midfield.

Failing that get Hiddink to take over with some young English manager as his assistant to take his place when he retires.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Sam Allardyce has never won a trophy, and he's still the best English manager the FA could hope to get. What has happened to the home of football?

You don't need to win trophies to be a winner, but he is a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I just hope Allardyce doesn't get ideas above his station and thinks he's Allardici. I want him playing lovely route one football with bit cunts up front and at the back. Also possibly in the midfield.

• Locked thread