Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed, but while Sterling cannot finish for poo poo him and / or Walcott providing wide pace on the break feeding into Vardey could be good.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully he doesn't have enough time to get fit for the Euros.

Wayne Rooney
Injury: Medial knee ligament injury
Estimated return date: Setback. Late April / Early May.

Having been pictured for the first time without his knee brace, speculation suggested Wayne Rooney was ahead of schedule in his recovery from a knee ligament injury. However, Van Gaal was quick to quash rumours of an impending return.

‘He still has weeks to go,’ he said. ‘He is not close. I cannot say how many weeks, as you never know. It is a conservative healing what we are doing with the brace, not an operation or something like that.’

The setback could delay the captain’s reappearance in the first team by up-to a month.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/15/manch.../#ixzz43BvWFXrH

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He should make Joe Hart captain.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

Hart, Stones, Lallana and Sterling all have no business being in that team

Butland, Cahill (it should be shawcross but lol england), Milner and Vardy to replace them

Maybe i have just not watched enough man city this season but i still rate Hart as the best england goalkeeper at the moment, unless in truly horrific form you don't want to change them and he has more experience of the big stage than the others, IMHO he should stay unless he is God awful in the warm up friendlies

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mean Bean Machine posted:

its coming home

Please don't troll this thread

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Total Meatlove posted:

Maybe we could play both and have a partnership with two in form strikers

This ismadness!

(but also what I would dearly love to happen)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MoPZiG posted:

Im convinced that if Giggs was English, England couldve won this World Cup handily. Man U was the best club in the world at the time. If you look at how Spain won with a majority Barce side and Germany with Bayern, you'd have to think having that midfield intact would've worked wonders.

I've often thought this.

opus111 posted:

euro 96 always felt like the biggest near miss to me. But maybe its cos I was so young.

the England team was incredible in that tournament, we would have beaten Germany if Gazza was a yard quicker.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
no, but thanks for the insight into your kinks

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is the starting XI for the Germany game...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Beating Germany in Berlin? I'll take it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

I liked dier saying Jordan had been overhitting corners all game so he told him to put one in at the near post instead

that's quality and the sort of leadership we need on the pitch

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can we keep 'Roy Hodgson's time at Liverpool' out of this thread please, it's boring and no-one wants you all to perpetuate the stereotype of whining Scousers, least of all in this thread.

If we have criticisms of Roy can we keep it to what he's done / doing as England manager.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I have to repeat Wayne is our captain and he has captained the team extremely well in the past two years.

"He took us through a qualifying campaign where we had a complete success with 10 wins out out 10. It doesn't please me too much that it is suggested now that the moment he is injured and doesn't play he gets jettisoned in some way. He doesn't deserve that."

"When he comes back and is fit again he is going to be putting enormous pressure on these players, just like these players will be putting enormous pressure on him - and that is the situation we are looking forward to."

Whilst I am worried that Rooney will walk straight back into the squad when he is fit, it does feel good that we have genuine competition for places which is going to hopefully result in everyone upping their game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35908204

"Dele's performance against France in November was a man-of-the-match performance as well," said Hodgson.

"He was fantastic in that game and if anything it has pleased me even more that he has come out and done exactly the same again, and what is more he has done it in perhaps even more difficult circumstances.

"At the moment, all you can see with Dele is a very, very bright future. It is up to him and his club but he has got to make certain he doesn't think 'I am the complete and finished article'. You cannot be the complete and finished article at 19 - not if we are talking about winning tournaments.

"You need a little bit more experience and games behind you. I'm not trying to detract from his performance. We thought he was excellent from the first minute to the last. He is getting a lot of praise and I hope he enjoys it because he truly deserves it."

The emergence of a crop of exciting young players, and the brand of football they produce, has led to suggestions that Hodgson is altering his approach to the game.

The 68-year-old denies that is the case.

"No, not at all," said Hodgson. "Unfortunately - and I don't know when I got it - but at some stage I was told I'm conservative in some way and that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

"I don't have it in Italy, I don't have it in Switzerland, just in England. I believe that is what is said. It is not true in my opinion and certainly I have never felt that way.

"I have worked for one or two teams, of course, where we have been nowhere near as good as the opposition and we have been put onto the back foot.

"But whenever I have had the team that has had the ability to take control of the game, take the initiative and take the game to the opposition, all of my teams have done that."

He added: "You can't disprove what people say or think about you, you can only do your work and hope the work you do with the players will give some sort of reward or success.

"Then people can have their opinions. It has never bothered me at all - I haven't started thinking 'someone said that, I better do something different'.

"I think I have been, not quite a model of consistency throughout the 40 years, but there haven't been many ups and downs or twists and turns.

"I believe in playing football, I believe in taking the initiative and you can only win things if you have a team who can take the game to the opposition. It is difficult to win things in the long term if you go on the back foot."

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Kane and Vardy keep scoring during these friendlies it's going to be harder and harder for Rooney to walk back into the starting line up.

Also he's not actually recovered yet, this is all predicated him actually being fit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wayne Rooney has scored 6 goals at international tournaments

5 of those were in Euro 2004.

1 of those was at World Cup 2014

His best performance at a tournament was when he was young, since then he has done precisely gently caress all to warrant him waltzing back into the starting team.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

britishbornandbread posted:

I am in agreeance with you, but he scored one at Euro 2012.

true, but it was a penalty in a shoot out... so does that count?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig posted:

He scored against Ukraine in the group stage.

Winner against Ukraine mate.

Welp, shows what l know

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rooney should prob be in the squad but def not starting.

I think it's a little silly not to take one of Defoe or Carol, but we cannot take everyone.

Just so long as that loving band gets nowhere near the stadiums I'll be happy.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

The hurt will end soon.

death is inevitable

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
last year he played like 8 out of 10 england games and did well

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

a scarecrow with cystic fibrosis could have done well against thoise parttimers tbf

Hahah this is probably true

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I believe England are a bit bad.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drink water should be playing.

Sterling should not.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We really need to build team around vardy

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hoops posted:

No matter your creed or kin - gently caress Wales

wrong thread

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good News Everybody!!

Midfielder Fabian Delph is unlikely to make England's final 23-man Euro 2016 squad because of a groin strain, coach Roy Hodgson says.

The Manchester City player did not travel with the squad to the North East for Friday's friendly against Australia, and has been placed on the standby list.

"Delph is not with us," Hodgson said at Thursday's news conference.

"He's stayed in Manchester - that means he probably won't be in the 23."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36339159

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i ate kangaroo earlier this year

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

its a bit gamey

it is, and I like game meats so that was all good

A fan of Lallana so would like to see him do well.

Annoyed it's 433, really think diamond is the way forward.

ITV seem to think it's going to be a diamond

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope drink water has a good game because we need him on the plane

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol this is Rashford's 19th senior game

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
been a bit poo poo since the goal

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
that was a pretty drat good hit from rooney

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it was a spectacular header

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drinkwater not going is really frustrating, he links up so well with Vardy and has had a phenomenal season...

*sigh*

oh well.

time to update the OP.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dier, Alli, Drinkwater and Wilshire would have been a loving good midfield, but Roy would have to drop Rooney to play Kane and Vardy.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36420669

Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :downs:

"Striker Marcus Rashford, 18, is 93rd on the list, four places above Manchester United team-mate and England captain Wayne Rooney."

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he said ping long balls, not ping pong balls!!!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
glad to be of help Jose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqqEi6oGbo

e/ wait I thought this was the new one

• Locked thread