Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lol if you don't think everyone else will be played out of position to accommodate Rooney passing to absolutely no-one and skying the ball from outside the box.

That being said, no idea who would be captain in his place. Hart I guess? But there's no guarantee he plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Rashford anywhere near that squad is a loving joke.

Delph, Barkley, and Henderson will all be very lucky to go. Should have had at least one West Hammer

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

INGURLAND are playing against Turkey this evening in the Manchester City StadiumTM because of reasons:

Starting XI: Hart: Walker, Rose, Stones, Cahill, Dier, Wsilshere, Sterling, Alli, Kane, Vardy

No-one from Liverpool and United except Henderson are involved tonight.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Insanely Sikh posted:

My hand is in the bucket

Wtf, not complaining. Good stuff EvilHawk

It was a solid copy/paste job from the BBC. I have also just noticed they managed to spell Wilshere wrong.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

That was easy

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

EvilHawk posted:

That was easy

Because he was a good yard or two offside lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Wilshere slowly fell over then grabbed the ball expecting a foul.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Our defence is so bad

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Danny Rose has no idea where the guy is, Hart runs out for no reason, three defenders couldn't block one guy

Jesus christ

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Haha the Turkish ref looked up the England goal, showed it to the fourth official, then got the phone confiscated.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Danny Rose having an absolutely woeful game, need to get Bertrand on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Royality posted:

Kane is on free kicks?? odd one that

He's been on them all game, and he's been absolutely poo poo at it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Royality posted:

Textbook vardy penalty win

Oops

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

England penalty chances at the Euros are still poo poo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

cracks plastered over

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Danny Rose got man of the loving match????

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sassassin posted:

Kane looked bad and Vardy's going to get sent off for diving at the Euros.

Lol if you think some random "ref" from Azerbaijan is going to send anyone off for diving.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

There's another game tonight. It's against Australia at the Stadium of Light. I'm not quite sure why either.

CONFIRMED: The official #ThreeLions teamsheet for tonight's game against the @Socceroos. England: Forster: Clyne, Smalling, Stones, Bertrand: Drinkwater, Henderson, Wilshere; Lallana, Rashford, Sterling

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shrapnig posted:

I'd like to see big Marcus Rashford score a goal.

Same, Hodgson seems insistent on playing Sturridge while injured.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Hahahahah

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

JFairfax posted:

been a bit poo poo since the goal

He's playing all three midfielders out of position and people are surprised we can't keep possession.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lmao Roy you have to take another centre back

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sebzilla posted:

Does the 23 have to be comprised of the group of 26, or can we scrap someone entirely and pick a different player?

It's a bit weird, usually you'd pick 30 and cut it down from there. I don't know whether Hodgson's left himself open to pick from four more, or he just couldn't think of four more players to add, or if that number is entirely arbitary.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sebzilla posted:

I guess he could always drop 3, then claim an injury and draft another replacement?

With Sturridge and Wilshere I don't think he'd need to claim an injury.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

That certainly was an England pre-tournament friendly.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

britishbornandbread posted:

What did Henderson do wrong exactly? Hes not glamorous I appreciate but not sure what he did so badly.

Agreed. He was by no means the worst player on the pitch - he wasn't even the worst midfielder (Drinkwater was utterly anonymous). I think Hodgson still takes him as a backup, and drops Sturridge and Delph (injuries) and probably Drinkwater if Wilshere doesn't break in the next week. It does leave us with taking Townsend to a major international tournament though...

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Drinkwater was very very average in each of the England games he's played (bordering on anonymous for much of Australia game). Wilshere and Henderson have had many years of playing in the England team (admittedly Henderson hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and Wilshere is permacrocked) - Hodgson is depending on players he knows in key areas.

I think the player most unfortunate to miss out is Townsend, who did show something different against Australia in that he actually attacked people. He probably only missed out because Sturridge passed his fitness test. Barkley is a bit lucky to go, but apart from that I think everyone else was always on the plane.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blasmeister posted:

if only we had a midfielder experienced at these exact things.

Again, Drinkwater was absolutely rubbish at doing this against Australia, with arguably our fastest front three in front of him (maybe Lallana for Townsend, but gently caress off will Townsend be starting a game). He should have had more chances in previous games, but when Roy has given him a shot he didn't impress enough to dislodge the players Hodgson trusts.

Ninpo posted:

I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the decision to take Wilshere, or, to a lesser degree, Henderson.

If Wilshere is fit Hodgson was always going to pick him. He was MOTM in what, 6 of the 7 qualifiers? Drinkwater needed to prove he was better than that (in an England shirt), and unfortunately he didn't.

Henderson has never been great for England, but Roy obviously likes him and in an international tournament you are always going to be biased towards the players you are used to.

Essentially:

Insanely Sikh posted:

Joking aside, what's going on here is that Roy is selecting unestablished players upfront and has been forced into this at the back. To steady all that change, he's played it safe with established players in midfield. Eminently sensible man, Roy.

Young-rear end team and yeah, would've been nice to see Drinkwater rewarded but you're being gaylords about Milner, Wilshere and Hendo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

England: Hart: Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose; Dier, Milner, Alli: Rooney, Vardy, Kane

That looks like Rooney and Vardy either side of Kane, and Alli in central midfield. Hopefully Rooney and Alli switch places and it's a 4-4-2 diamond, otherwise he's lost the plot (again).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Insurrectionist posted:

The formation looks stupid BUT as it contains neithe Henderson nor permacrock Wilshere, it's still about as good a team as you're gonna see England put on the field this summer I'd say.

Yeah, if you shuffle the formation around I suspect that's Hodgson's first team. Maybe Lallana or Sterling for Vardy.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

We're playing Vardy and Kane either side of Rooney. Fantastic

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Kane has been really really poo poo, Rooney has been as well but that's not a surprise, I wasn't sure if Vardy is playing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lmao, Alves sent off in a friendly

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

So last time round we bid a fond farewell to the endless discussions on if Gerrard and lampard can play together in midfield, only to immediately replace it with endless discussions on if Vardy Kane and Rooney can play together up top. :bang:

I don't think anyone is arguing they can play together up top.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guys

Guys

I still believe

This is terrible for so many reasons, but why do they have someone in an English football song video wearing a Seattle Mariners shirt for fucks sake. Couldn't they swing another retro 96 shirt or something

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Tortuga posted:

Did they fire all those fireworks at themselves or did the police fire them in there?

By most accounts the Marseille ultras attacked the English then ran off when the cops showed up. The English were still riled up at that point leading to the bottle and chair following we all know and love.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Cross posting for all you beautiful patriots

England team to play Russia: Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Alli, Dier, Rooney; Sterling, Kane, Lallana

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

That was loving poo poo from start to finish. Couldn't score and can't defend.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Pissflaps posted:

No it wasn't and yes we could we did.

We should have been three nil up at half time but nobody could stick the ball in the back of the net. One fantastic free kick went in, and as soon as Russia showed any sort of attacking threat we couldn't clear the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ninpo posted:

Agreed with the posts that England played well. The only misstep was not taking off Kane for Vardy or Rashford. No idea why Rooney got subbed, he was playing well and tracking back, maybe he picked up a knock I hadn't noticed. Hart looked pretty iffy but he's going to start unless he gets injured.

Each time England have made it to a semi in major tournaments their opener has been a frustrating draw.

I still believe.

We haven't won a European opener. Ever. So it's not exactly a surprise.

I swear on 50ish minutes I saw either Sturridge or Rashford go back to the bench with a shirt in hand, but never saw either of them again. Some really bizarre subs from Roy.

• Locked thread