Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Cahill was hilariously clowned on for the Gomez goal, Stones was gash against the Dutch. Smalling can bring the ball out of defence just fine, so Smalling + whichever Big Unit is in the best form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It feels dumb to discount Rooney's experience and leadership and the fact he's played well for United in recent weeks in midfield and has a good range of passing.

He shouldn't be starting up front given the options but just handwaving him off with a "he's poo poo" is becoming a TRP meme.

The preferred choices for the positions you could see Rooney in have all played a poo poo load of football this season and the Spurs players being lauded completely loving collapsed under pressure and fatigue and ended up finishing behind an Arsenal team everyone knows are poo poo, when it was completely within their control to push Leicester to the wire. Referees at the Euros will be far less forgiving than Premier League refs, there needs to be a mix of seniority and youth in the side for it to be balanced and make sure players like Alli don't lose their cool and get a straight red.

Wilshere's inclusion is ridiculous. I can understand Rashford being in the 26 for some experience, I very much doubt he'll be in the 23.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 17, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

Imo the more melancholy nature is more befitting of an England supporter, in contrast to the straight bombast of the '96 version.

Yeah but you can straight swap "30 years of hurt" for "50 years of hurt" and it just works

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He seemed to make quite a few tackles and interceptions to me

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
But he plays for Liverpool so gently caress him he's shite

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you know whos great at finding passes? robert huth

Lol

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely mental, there's no one else in that squad that can play that role as well, Drinkwater should have gone and the mind boggles that Wilshere is going, or Stones.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This will probably come back to bite me but Rashford is the first young English player I've seen play in some time that fits the phrase "if you're good enough you're old enough".

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is Shawcross injured? I'd have taken him instead of Stones.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It'll be supply that's the problem, if anything. All the front options we're taking are quick except Kane, so good distribution and counter attacking should be the order of business, no idea if Wilshere is capable of that sort of service, or if it'll be down to Alli and the full backs?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the decision to take Wilshere, or, to a lesser degree, Henderson.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Kane taking set pieces ffs

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It looked to me like Rooney was playing at the tip of the diamond behind Vardy and Kane. They kept ending up wide when not in possession as Woy had them assisting the full backs lol

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest thing about it was Roy changed absolutely nothing when Portugal went down to 10 men, he just didn't react at all, while Portugal changed to playing keep ball. That's the sort of inflexibility that'll kill us in a tournament.

I thought the worst England player on the pitch was Millner and I'm still mad as heck that Kane was taking corners and free kicks ffs.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

tbf the point was to see if England could play in that formation, not really to win a meaningless game against 10 men. The red card was useless to everyone.

Though he probably could have figured out that England can't play in that formation before the 70th minute.

Yes I know that, my point is you don't play that sort of formation/personnel against a team that's playing keep ball/playing at being hard to break down. A manager should adapt to the change, it's not inconceivable to think we could end up in that situation in the tournament and it was helpful to no one to continue to gently caress about for as long as they did.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Operation Score One More than Yewtree

We're on the Prowl with Ant and Dec

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

has it come home yet

It's on its way mate

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed with the posts that England played well. The only misstep was not taking off Kane for Vardy or Rashford. No idea why Rooney got subbed, he was playing well and tracking back, maybe he picked up a knock I hadn't noticed. Hart looked pretty iffy but he's going to start unless he gets injured.

Each time England have made it to a semi in major tournaments their opener has been a frustrating draw.

I still believe.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I still believe

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I still believe

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Shut up

It's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM

Coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzxMjBEazas

Home

(Crowds singing It's Coming Home still give me goosebumps)

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Insanely Sikh posted:

Maybe, buy it's absolutely fair and right to do so given the number of in-form strikers we have.

Rashford looked pretty dangerous when he came on as well, so yeah, when you've got Vardy on that form and Sturridge eager to prove a point, with Rashford as a third choice after those two, it's crazy to persist with Kane when he's been completely ineffectual in each match.

In all the lol England are poo poo chat, the outfield players have played well imo, and eyes should be on Hart. Out of position against Russia and should have kept Bale's free kick out.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

belgend posted:

How are there so few decent English managers?

It's super loving expensive to get coaching badges in the UK and youth football is poo poo.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
People also seem to forget how much football the England players (barring Wilshere) have played already this season, particularly Spurs players so there's nothing wrong with giving the full backs a rest.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

why does everything have to go through the right wing? does roy have a contract to make sure the right winger touches the ball in every attack?

Have you ever watched football before?

Slovakia were weak on their left side, nearly all our good chances came from attacks down the right, so that's why England concentrated on attacking that side. After Slovakia brought on another LB it got mixed up a bit more.

Honestly, apart from the frustration of seeing chances blocked or missed, I enjoyed watching the match. I don't think I've enjoyed watching England play football this much for at least ten years.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

How could you enjoy that poo poo, that was one of the worst games of soccer I have seen in my entire life. I'm still mad

I know this is a lie and a troll because I know you saw Stoke v villa that time.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My only real complaint was that Wilshere didn't go off sooner. Rooney is much better at making runs into the box, the delivery on corners improved when he came on and once Slovakia realised Wilshere could be bullied off the ball he had much less impact on the match.

I do think Rashford should have come on instead of Kane but perhaps I'm biased. I'm not entirely sure why Sturridge was subbed off for Kane, his approach play was pretty good.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Vardy should've really come off sooner. He can't do poo poo when 11 men are parked behind the ball in their own half. Only had space to run in the first 20 minutes or so

Yeah Slovakia seemed to realise pretty quick if they went for the win they'd end up losing with the space Vardy and Sturridge had early on, then the bus got parked and we've no wingers.

I thought Clyne played really, really well though up until they put two left backs on him lol

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

Slovakia parked the bus and threw everyone at the ball when England took shots, they played for the draw and got it.

We're through to the next round, that's the main thing and more than we managed at the World Cup.

Yeah, they actually attacked Wales and paid for it and Russia are poo poo.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Parity warning posted:

Technically now they don't but they also absolutely can vs England

That's why mums go to Iceland

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely shameful, Roy dithered far too long bringing Rashford on.

Also lol Hart is poo poo

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't know how Sterling and Kane got another start on form, why Lallana was left out after being the brightest player against Slovakia or why it took so long to get Rashford on. He made more of his 5 minutes than we did the entire half.

I'm so loving mad, nice meltdown indeed.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

Everyone wanking on about Rashford on 606 as if he is the answer.

He's not "the answer" but he should have come on much sooner than he did. He showed more promise in 5 minutes than we did the entire half. It was a time to be bold and intend to stay in the tournament but Roy bottled it, laughably.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I know Rooney was trying too hard by the time he was subbed, but one of Sturridge or Kane should have gone for Rashford, sooner than Rooney did.

I know it's easy to do this poo poo in hindsight, but it was infuriatingly obvious, which makes it so much worse.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Iceland better do a Greece now.

They won't.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Pretend I went back and dug out my post that you all ridiculed when I questioned taking so many Spurs players on the wrong end of a massive bottle job. Only Dier did well enough to warrant selection imo.

e: and maybe Walker?

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 28, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

Yeah it was the Spurs players letting us down while Rooney, Sterling, Wilshere, Sturridge, Hart etc etc put in a heroic performance for the ages.

This is just a continuation of how utterly abject England have looked at every tournament since 2010. The Spurs players might be the new faces but the malaise is the same.

Rooney and Sturridge weren't bad I don't think, apart from last night when everyone to a man played like complete garbage. We already all knew that taking Wilshere over Drinkwater was sheer lunacy and I'll have another meltdown if I start talking about Hart.

e: 2 goals from open play all tournament and he still picks Kane up front in a knockout match, loving lol AND had him on loving set pieces AGAIN

I'm melting down

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

kane's set pieces at least provided some humour

They stopped being funny as soon as he took a second one and that last one that he shanked completely wide of the mark was loving infuriating

"Why hasn't he made another sub yet" and "Why is Kane STILL taking free kicks" were probably the most uttered things in my house

lol, 18 shots, 4 on target and he waited until the 86th minute to bring Rashford on :rant:

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 28, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

Complaining about the team selection implies there is a combination of English players who would be good. There arent. Its a nation in decline and very poor at soccer. The delusional fans need to accept it imo or you'll just keep repeating this crap til death. England haven't won a knockout match at an international tournament in 10 years. Some of you are like battered wives

I'm not trying to say there's a combination of English players that would have gone on to win it but I'm pretty sure there's an England team combination that should be loving beating Iceland ffs

Still starting Joe Shart after he'd made one minor and one major blunder, both leading to goals, for him to gift Iceland the winner would be a good place to start. Iceland shut up shop after their second and we saw against Slovakia we don't know what to do about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

England shouldn't be viewed as favorites either, the mentality is all wrong. Iceland was very good in qualifying. The England players are all big "stars" for being highly paid and on big PL teams and individual form isn't important. England fans, manager, players should all view the team as underdogs and they should play as such. Pure hoofball stle. Too much hubris. The media will latch on to some solution like making kids play 7v7 and copy some aspect of another more successful nation and nothing will change. Its all in their head. Way too much pressure on the players

I agree, of course. That England are still mentioned alongside teams like France, Germany, Italy etc is laughable given the record of recent years but still, loving Iceland

• Locked thread