Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sassassin posted:

Why are there three women in that pic?

WAGs

JFairfax posted:

England squad for matches against Germany & Netherlands
Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City). Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur). Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City). Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Tbh though I don't know if it's that I'm getting old and I overrate players from when I was growing up or if this team is actually mostly piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bogan Krkic posted:

Nearly every England team is mostly piss

they were inherently piss by nature, and were largely piss on the fringes, but had the potential to not be piss

the England team that went to France 98 was:

Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Le Saux, Campbell, Southgate, Adams, Keown, R. Ferdinand, Good Neville, Ince, Beckham, McManaman, Scholes, Batty, Lee, Anderton, Merson, Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, L. Ferdinand

darren anderton was always a wasteman and I'm glad he's dead now but lots of those players were actual good phwoar players and not people who are totally going to be good "any day now, honest" which seems to be the new standard for starting for England

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Tom Heaton is replacing Hart as the third goalkeeper. Sterling is ruled out as well but there aren't any plans to replace him. Because god forbid you use international friendlies to try out new players for your squad

tbf if roy calls someone up as a replacement just to sit them on the bench it's a complete timewaste for them

if he makes 11 substitutes at half-time everyone calls him a twat and FIFA make a rule

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

you can travel to France quite cheaply these days

this

tbh if anyone here is from london i'd highly recommend they consider walking it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

a modern day paul ince, clearly

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

chuggo is BACK posted:

he's bad on the right op

he bad everywhere

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

Winner against Ukraine mate.

Thing is, he's truly only had one shocker of a tournament, that was 2010. He was injured 2006, 2012 had two games and did reasonably in both of them and I thought he played well in the two meaningful games in 2014. But he has not excelled and been world class since 2004, and his lack of tournament goals before 2012 was an albatross that made him try too hard. If i remember correctly he had a load of chances against Uruguay before scoring the equaliser.

On current form and fitness he can't be near the team, but he should be on the bench and there with the squad as captain with his experience. He CAN offer something but there are others in that squad who can do his on the pitch role as well as he can, if not better.

I reckon Roy might fancy the 442 diamond in the summer with Kane and Vardy up top, I reckon that could have potential.

holy poo poo a nuanced and considered opinion

burn it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sassassin posted:

A pain-free Sturridge.

Dean Ashton with magical golden ankles

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Foehammer007 posted:

is Germany going to win?

they always do

although one time it was funny

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

wilshere is good

for a clown team to play

at the league cup

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

class is permanent

hargreaves for england

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

that lineup was voted by the people

so was hitler

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

destroy all portugals

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

you cant be stunned and horrified at the same time

you can if you're a tourist who's somehow ended up in loving marseille

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Can't wait to see England sweep aside the Welsh today in France.

agreed

also hoping that the severn bridge catches fire during the game and isn't rebuilt

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Are we through yet or what some nerd do the maths

england will go through with a win or a draw

if england lose and russia draw with wales, slovakia will win the group and england will take second over the welsh based on head-to-head

if england lose and russia beat wales, slovakia will win the group and second place will be determined between england and russia based on either goal difference, goals scored, fair play (this will apply if england lose by the same score russia win by), or highest coefficient (i.e. england)

however, even in the above scenario, the team finishing third will likely still go through but would be waiting on results from the other four groups (who'll have the advantage of knowing exactly how many points and goals they may need)

if england lose and wales beat russia, england will be third outright and the above applies

p.s. please come and see me and my friends play at the Nou Camp next year, I'm hoping to have this whole tax trial over very soon

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why are they talking about giving woy a new contract if we get to the quarters :negative:

Because the highest placed English managers last season were Alan Pardew, Eddie Howe and Sam Allardyce, who finished 15th, 16th and 17th respectively

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

if only big roy had brought poo poo garbageman #7 instead of poo poo garbageman #4 everything would have been fine

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

if only big aidy boothroyd had brought poo poo garbageman #7 instead of poo poo garbageman #4 everything would have been fine

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ephex posted:

Also the women can be recognised as such in Turkey.

yup

they're the ones with the bruises

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

jyrka posted:

What tier supermarket is Iceland?

they sell a half-price vodka called vodkat that's only 20% alcohol because the people that shop there are too stupid to look or read and think they're getting a bargain

that tier

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

come off it even harry redknapp wouldn't back tactics tim for engla

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aston-villa-man-backed-11536803

beat all english managers with sticks imo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoddle hasn't had a proper football job since 2006, and at that point he was failing to get out of the Championship with Wolves

I wish I had drinking mates who worked in punditry and could try and help me fail upwards at every given opportunity

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

this article is pretty savage about joe hart

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-a7106591.html

a bloo bloo bloo england players won't say stuff in interviews that'll be used against them later

that's why they can't pass

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Has it got so bad that people are legitimately backing a man who hasn't managed anyone in 10 years and was sacked the first time round for saying that disabled people are being punished by God?!

yes

this would almost be understandable if Glenn Hoddle was a successful England manager who was coming out of retirement to try and recapture old glories, and not someone whose only tournament experience was to take an exponentially more talented England team and take them to a second-place finish in their group (behind Romania) before being knocked out in the last 16

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

peanut- posted:

But the point is there isn't some magic formation or manager that will solve the issue. They've all been tried, and none of them address the fundamental problem: England melt down the moment there is a shred of pressure. Hodgson is experienced even if he's not the greatest, he knows how to make basic tactical changes when his winger and his fullback are disrupting each other. England's players know how to show themselves for passes, play 1-2s and move the ball quickly in the face of massed defense. None of these players loft floating balls at the far post for their clubs.

So why do these most basic football skills desert the players and manager the moment they're representing England in a game that matters? Why do they just look clueless? They generally cruise through qualifying. They're clearly under the most paralysing pressure that we have to work out how to alleviate.

In that sense Allardyce might be decent because he stops his players having think really. He has a rigid system in which players know exactly what they should be doing, which might help. England's best tournament under Hodgson was 2012 when we were playing dire football, but at least it was structured and effective.

Can't see that the press would tolerate it for too long though, the complaints are what caused Hodgson to move out of his comfort zone and into the disasters of 2014 and 2016.

I've been saying similar things for a decade (I don't actually know what I'd do if England were good and won games, I guess I'd have to get a hobby). The whole thing is built on a bedrock of cunts, and if I was Rooney I'd be falling over myself to retire from international football and to spend my summers in Pattaya racially abusing a ladyboy while getting a rimjob taking the kids to Alton Towers instead of listening to 40,000 red-faced arseholes boo and whine and call into 606 to suggest you be dropped for Lewis McGugan, or some sixteen-year-old who's had four good games for Aldershot but will be written off by the time he's 20.

Yeah, gently caress it, I'll at least get a laugh out of watching Allardyce tell people to piss off.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

lol if you think a single english poster here wanted rooney anywhere near the team

I did, and I'm an important poster here on these only troll-free football forums

He wasn't great during the tournament, and hasn't been for a while, but every time Hodgson put together a team without him they looked worse, less dynamic and less creative

Before calling for England's only creative outlet to be dropped for good, consider that the player he's keeping out of the team is not Iniesta or Pirlo, but is in fact James Milner

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Tbf I checked out of the article after a couple paragraphs but he just vaguely insinuates that the players are fancy dans because they've been coddled, as if the players from France, Germany, and Spain are any different. It's dumb and pointless and offers 0 insight and he should have never written it.

Yeah, it's the same thing I was making fun of Chris Waddle for doing on 606, where somehow despite the fact that England's players have mostly been short on technical skill for 30 years, they'd be somehow improved if young players were forced to play with a flyaway in an Iceland car park until the age of 15, and if any semblance of educated and tactically astute coaching they've brought in over the last decade was replaced by a local nonce who makes eight year olds wade through mud and run until they throw up.

Basically, "no, dig up, stupid".

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Who's Brendon Rodgers?

he's brendan rodgers mentor iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I never thought I'd live to see this glorious day

• Locked thread