Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Minimum Verstappen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

This old short dude gets a lot of pussy!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All the best drivers have problems with Sir Jackie because Sir Jackie don't take no poo poo (e.g. The Maldonado of his day, Senna)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

George Zimmer posted:

We will all be disappointed.
That's perfectly predictable though

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Notre Jacques, the only former Formula-E driver with LE BALLS to say it, says it

quote:

Jacques Villeneuve: Drivers afraid to race without halos should just quit

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/jacques-villeneuve-drivers-afraid-race-without-halos-should-just-quit

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

be nice wicka posted:

then the gently caress are you posting in an F1 thread for if you supposedly don't watch or care about the sport
Look at this guy who doesn't know about the worst thread

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doc Morbid posted:

Apparently, Bernie didn't agree with the proposed changes to the track (apparently related to the SBK races). Can't say I blame the old goblin lord in this case, though, because the plans that were floated around earlier were completely idiotic. Why yes let's just gut Curva Grande and put a chicane in the middle there, that'll work nicely. :downs: I somehow expect nothing to happen to the track and that they end up working out an arrangement with Bernie at the last moment.
What makes you think Bernie won't just drop Monza and Silverstone and Spa and add Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and Qatar, real countries because they can pay real prices for real F1 unlike fake countries like UK Belgium and Italy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

I hope Max Vercrappen does not finish.
I just want Big Carlos to beat him because he's not ugly and because his dad is a cool racer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you want a good example of workable high tech formulas and race direction, ACO/Le Mans is it. They have some fantastically complicated rule system that allows the LMP teams to run wildly different designs with gas, diesel, turbo, NA, batteries, flywheels, and they all still end up within a few laps of each other after a day long race. And their virtual pit lane sector is a hell of a lot better idea than the virtual safety car in F1 that allows cars to be boring and slow while simultaneously still being unlimited in specific speed and dangerous in any given corner.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would think that crash would be another good argument in FAVOR of the halo things or something similar. Any time you roll and hit something it's just luck that it's not the driver's head catching the edge of an object.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Not really, they already have a great deal of protection and it's what saved nando today, they call it a roll hoop but it's not quite the right term. The airbox and raised areas, which this year were made higher, are designed to take the impact, protect the driver's head and make the car flip in a controlled/known way.
Not that I would know about these things but the idea of "making the car flip in a known way" seems really dubious to me and even if you make it flip in a known way you don't know quite what it's going to hit or at what angle. What if it had rolled upside down in such a way that Our Fernando, Peace Be Upon Him, scraped his head sideways across a wall or armco or tire barrier? Or into a catch fence like Wheldon. Depending on the hit, that would seem to be potentially serious. The fact that the roll hoop is there only protects the driver if it hits a large perfectly flat object with no corners.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Having watched it a lot and done it myself, falling off a bike is fairly harmless as long as you don't hit anything besides the ground and nothing besides the ground hits you. As long as you have big runoffs on the appropriate turns, the biggest danger is a highside or someone running you over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/jos-verstappen-says-max-s-aggression-positive-681384/

quote:

Jos Verstappen says Max's "aggression" positive

Presented without comment

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So at what age will we stop excusing whiny hissy fit tantrums? I guess retirement age cause Fernando and Super Seb were doing it last year or the year before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's a perfectly legitimate question and set of answers to be fair

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Vettel is a four time fizzy drink champion though so we can cut him some slack

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Someone should tell him to be nice

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

They've already decided on Max as their next darling.
Chilton? Understandable, he's already tearing up the IndyCar race finisher lists

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F1 2016: Which do you prefer, FIA or ISIS?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I hope his heart fails tonight
You know, hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll, uh... you'll go insane.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

This.
Also gently caress US F1 coverage, commercials during a race are poo poo.
Would you rather have commentators that suck? Everything is a trade off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Count me in as preferring the NBCSN commentator dream team.
If they had Bruno it would be dream

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I met one of Hefe's brethren recently, a Venezuelan French Canadian. He didn't complain about toilet paper because they have lots of it in Canada, even French Canada.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Look at this whiner (whinger?) whining (whinging?) about F1! A man for the worst thread if ever there was one. Fedoras off to this man.

https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/its-not-you-its-me/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would think the biggest problem F1 has is that hosting a race is a massive financial disaster for literally everyone who does it. This cannot be a sustainable sport. Yet they never even hint at addressing this issue. It's just tires and aero.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Something something about Alonso's career http://www.motorsport.com/general/video/main-gallery/race-car-lost-at-sebring-ends-up-on-public-road-47644/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12525/10220991/las-vegas-has-f1-contract-reveals-bernie-ecclestone

quote:

F1 has agreed a deal to race in Las Vegas, according to Bernie Ecclestone

The race we deserve.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've been to both and I would only prefer Jersey because it's closer to here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One of my favorite Sky Bernie moments was when Ted asked him about what the Monza owners had to do to keep the race, whether they just needed to bring a checkbook and pen to the contract meetings. Bernie answered "No I have pens." If you're going to live under the murderous jackboot of a satanic tyrant, it's nice for him to have a sense of humor at least.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Serious question: why hasn't someone called Gene Haas "Boss Haas" yet?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Your granddad is the worst granddad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I quite enjoy Formula E because stupid poo poo like that happens all the time. It doesn't mean that the fastest and most reliable driver/car doesn't still win the championship. At least with a sample size of 1 so far anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Will it be driven by Tay?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was kinda unimpressed by Barnard's initial reason (he didn't want to run a linkage from the front to the rear of the car anymore).
I thought he said it was because he wanted to make the cockpits smaller for aero and the shifter was taking up space.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Couple years ago when Marquez got into MotoGP and Lorenzo was having trouble keeping him back, Lorenzo crashed and broke his collar bone and got a titanium plate installed, then raced a couple weeks later and crashed again and bent the titanium plate. And the championship still went up to the last race between those two guys that year.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Esteban Pastored Fernando pretty good last time. Esteban for the new Pastor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

It became a really horrible and forced "thing" last year, to the point that Ted actually asked Arrivabene how they were getting hold of mozzarella in Russia.
Ted horrible forced and awkward with unfunny jokes? Surely not, Sky

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I'm about to ignore a few posters and wicka isn't one of them.
Sounds like somebody can't handle the worst thread. Maybe you should try NASCAR?

If you know what I mean fellas

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Chuck Yeager and Niki Lauda did their job with cracked ribs. Alonso ain't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poty posted:

The Channel 4 F1 intro features Claire Williams and is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvkMg60wMc8
That was pretty cool, in addition to being good

• Locked thread