Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I like how you omitted Vettel's stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The McLaren going into T1 looks like the most unstable, bouncy turd ever.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Verstappen with the first spin of 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Hamilton’s team mate Nico Rosberg was the most high-profile victim of the slippery conditions, the German swiping the front wing off his Silver Arrow against the wall following a spin at Turn 7. To add insult to injury, it was a new-spec nose that the team had deliberately not run in FP1 for fear of potential damage."

Let's just run it in a fully wet session instead!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol Rosberg couldn't even pull out into the pitlane properly and had to be pushed back to make the full turn.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

that plastic bag just waited for bottas

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The gently caress, 3rd for Jense?! Alonso P2??!!?!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ahahahah Red Bull

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

tbh I'm surprised Williams didn't put stopwatches onto the wheels of their cars

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Shame Grosjean didn't channel his inner Crashtor and nail Lewis whilst his belts were loose.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Works for Q1, sucks for Q2, is probably going to be absolutely terrible for Q3.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So in summary, keep it for Q1, scrap it for Q2 and 3.

1:23:8 - season is loving over already. Nice watching with you gents, see you in 2017.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dr. Hamilton and how I wish there was a bomb

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So here's my proposal:

Q1 - Keep it as is. The frantic nature of having all the cars out was good. With so many out there, they're all going to have to push for 2-3 laps because of traffic until the track starts clearing. It works somewhat OK here.
Q2 - Eliminate this 90s bullshit and make it a cutoff time. If the driver in the last remaining position doesn't improve to snatch the position above them or better on the flying lap (outlap + 1, current+1 if they're already on track), they're eliminated. This would again force everyone to go out at the start to avoid having to beat other people's times to stay in. It would also really mix the grid up if someone hosed up their flying lap.
Q3 - Just a regular shortened session with no limitations.

There are probably flaws to this too, I'm just making it up on the fly like the FIA

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He is banging some model now so I'm not surprised.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh right the Strangelove glasses

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I knew something was amiss. They got through a quali without putting the wrong tires on or something similar.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ukle posted:

McLaren have now caught up with most of the teams, and given they have 2 of the best drivers on the grid they should get a few podiums

Woah woah woah, a top 8 here and there maybe - but a podium?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meeting environmental and hybrid requirements in the highest spec of engineering and racing is dumb imo. Bring back the V12.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

666 KHAN

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

be nice wicka posted:

cool idea bro that would end the sport

Make it so. New beginnings!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What if there was a salary cap of sorts though? Wouldn't it force teams and manufacturers alike to make extremely crafty components at minimal cost, all the while leveling the playing field? You could set a minimum and maximum, so you can still have lovely new teams - but all the big dogs play under the same $$$ constraint. I mean, you look at the division of funds in F1 and it's a bit loving absurd.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

But all teams can spend the most if they can afford the cap? This cap wouldn't be set at something unattainable by atleast 1/2 to 3/4 of the field. I'm not sure how you'd police parts costs, but it'd be nice in theory.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Factory spec engines for everyone! Go nuts with your chassis and aero!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

F1 Karting Series

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Drivers, Team and Manufacturers championships.

Manufacturers take home a bonus. Solo manufacturers receive incentives competing against 2-3 team 'supplier' manufacturers. Teams individually still win bonuses, Drivers the same. Then you'll have direct competition between manufacturers as well, instead of "How's my engine going for you? Tell me all about it." A win for one engine supplier helps more than one team.

I dunno, I'm just brainstorming at this point because the sport is loving broken and viewership will probably continue to decline.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

JollyOne Palmer

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think the last batch of comprehensive figures was from 2012. Globally F1 has been on a decline since 2008 in terms of viewership. There may have been a resurgence in the UK because of Hamilton and Button, but for the most part I know a lot of people personally who don't give a gently caress about the sport anymore.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Riso posted:

Or we could have a single 60 min session to set fast laps.

This tbh. Of course with more tyres.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gonna repost this cus holy moly:

Alonso ponders "can things get any worse with McLaren?"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"You tell me not to bother you, man"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What track is everyone looking forward to this year if the field is more competitive this season?

Personally I look forward to Suzuka, and kind of wish it were feasible to put it mid calendar. It's such a beast of a track and will not hesitate to gently caress up your lap on any of it's turns. I don't know if it's ~the~ most technical non-street circuit, but it must come close. COTA to me is similar to Suzuka and probably on the same level of difficulty. I guess I love S-sections.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 21, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Best thing that could happen is if the FIA does something along the lines of threatening them with licence points and team fines for "bringing the sport into disrepute" every time he does this

AFL House, is that you?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meanwhile Dan is awesome.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I would love to see Riccy-D at the Scud or Williams

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You Am I posted:

I can see News Corp's Australian Pay TV Sports arm, Fox Sports, doing the same thing in Australia if given the chance

Haven't they basically done this halfway? One wasn't showing every race last I checked.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

drat, so close to a resignation letter. Hopefully that's the more to follow.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Eat all the poo poo Lewis. Go everyone else.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They are practically killing their own sport from within.

• Locked thread