Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hate Fibration posted:

Is it okay to talk about how awesome the scaly-foot gastropod is in here, or does that get too much attention all ready? It is after all, the most metal of all snails.

Some of them have scales that are actually made of iron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

drat those things are flipping incredible!

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

gender illusionist posted:

drat those things are flipping incredible!

Not only that, but they also tend to have a three layered shell, the outer layer of the shell consisting of iron sulphide, typically a chemical compound composed of Iron and Sulphur, The middle layer of their shell is composed of the typical organic material that is normally found in every other gastropods shell known as Periostracum, the innermost layer is made of Aragonite, which is a carbonate mineral. The layers of this critters shell (Particularly the middle layer.) offer great protection, and their shells are quite tougher compared to other gastropods. They also have a symbiotic relation with sulphur-oxidising bacteria which stick around their esophageal glands, relying on them for nutrition. :)

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
Is this just the run up to the Arthropod thread? Cause Arthropods are where it's at.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

forward pass posted:

Arthropods are where it's at.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought I'd enjoy this thread but I actually enjoy it a lot. Thanks Pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hahah, reminds me of zopherinids. Fuckers are a pain in the rear end to pin.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oberleutnant posted:

what do they all taste like

A friend of mine studies nudibranches and tried eating one so as to determine why they weren't preyed on by other creatures.

Turns out the reason is because it's like eating a nine-volt battery.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol the sea is fuckin nuts

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Chitons! I totally forgot that I saw a bunch of these on rocks in bermuda and had no idea what they were!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I'm more of a cephelapod fan but this is a good thread. More bout the metal-footed snail please, it's cool as heck.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Sweet!

Here are some gastropods i photographed last summer on a whim.

Helix pomatia. The main species of eatable snail in France. Abundant in my country.

Cornu aspersum. A close, smaller and more southern relative from the same family. Also eaten, in Iberia/France. Slime trail.

From a freshwater pond, some kind of Lymnaeidae. Had no idea it was a model organism in neurobiology until i looked it up.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
What kind of snail is this? I caught it eating my mail when I was living in Belgium a couple years ago. There were tons of them (rainy fall season) and they sure did love sneaking their way into the mailbox and munching down.

I'm definitely gonna start a snail farm if I move back.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Hey guys, I'm a sea slug and definitely not a cephalopod"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51jB8YljliM

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
That's proper 4 leg walking. Awesome

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

Julia exquisita, a bivalve gastropod

This thing is cool as all hell.

edit: also tiny?:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
are any of these water bugs good with hot sauce

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
are conchs just uppity whelks? They seem like it, but are also delicious. An Italian restaurant up the street makes a really good scungilli fra diavolo, and I can say with authority that conch tastes like really earthy mushrooms and requires spicy tomato sauce to truly shine.

Unrelated to that, you should watch this video of a sea angel eating, because this is pretty much why Lovecraft was terrified of the ocean. The still pictures posted earlier show these pretty little ethereal creatures fluttering through the water, but then they sense prey and things turn into a nightmarish shitshow for their meal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlc7r34Sh-c

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Jesus Christ posted:

What kind of snail is this? I caught it eating my mail when I was living in Belgium a couple years ago. There were tons of them (rainy fall season) and they sure did love sneaking their way into the mailbox and munching down.

I'm definitely gonna start a snail farm if I move back.

Looks like one of the snails I posted above, Cornu aspersum (garden snail).
Not a 100% sure though, someone more knowledgeable can probably confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think I heard that sea angels only eat once in their lifespan. So make it special! :angel:

• Locked thread