Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cats handle stress in weird ways, such weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Larry Cum Free posted:

Hi. Hello.

This is Binks. We got her from a rescue 2 years ago after her and her sisters were found in a garbage dump.

This is Hudson. We met him at our wedding venue 2 months ago. He was the last of a litter of barn kittens. Highlights of our wedding included him laying in one of the charcuterie platters and having a leisurely snack, and enjoying this midnight snack piece of pizza.

The venue owners said they were looking for a home for him, and of course we obliged. We had rear end in a top hat landlords who forbade him, but we bought a house this month and he is ours now.

I am pleased to report that Binks and Hudson are now friends.

I was singing "My Own Prison" by Creed to myself because I'm a massive dweeb, and I clicked this thread, saw this post, and sang "no appeal on the dooOOOOOHHH MY GOD :cripes:" :kimchi:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gangringo posted:

They'll soon be introduced to Umbra the dog, who I got from a local foster group and Mingus the cat who is named after the park we found him in.

This dog's ear to head ratio is insane, JFC

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
My bb :cry:

He had a recurring hematoma and had surgery. Now he’s got a dog ear.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Nah, now he's got a boxer's ear. Way better than dog ear.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
He is pretty cute.

Last week transported a bunch of lil dogs and 6 cats to WI from STX.

And celebrated a successful trip with tacos and ear piercings. lol

Animal transport is a super weird/shady group of people. My friend and I do it for free for shelters/nonprofits we like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those look like some delightfully wiggly dogs. I hope they all find wonderful homes soon.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
I saw an "I Can't Believe It's Not Butters" at the pet store and it made me realize it's been radio silence from the boy himself. Is everything okay? Can we please get an update on the buttery boy?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
He's doing great, my life has just been a bit of a dumpster fire. I'll get some pics up soon.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Helping teach my daughter to read

https://youtu.be/wLh_w0HiwiU?feature=shared

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Chili posted:

He's doing great, my life has just been a bit of a dumpster fire. I'll get some pics up soon.

Sorry to hear that, don't worry too much about the pictures, I'm glad he's doing good.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've been working my way through litter after litter of kittens, much to Umbra's delight.

Mingus is pretty happy too.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oh yeah, we fostered a couple kittens a few months ago.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Monty has decided that my wife doesn't need to go to work today.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

smilingfish posted:

Monty has decided that my wife doesn't need to go to work today.

“Don’t waste your lifeblood feeding the capitalist machine, mother. Your purpose is to pet a kitty.”

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Butters certainly warms my [currently hosed up] heart. He continues to be the best drat cat.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hard to imagine what this cats life would have been like if he were fed even once, ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CAT!
AAH AAH!
SLEEPER OF THE UNIVERSE!

CAT!
AAH AHH!
HE’LL HUG EVERY ONE OF US!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Buttery goodness!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is my latest rescue, Oliver, who’s a six month old puppy.

He was found down in Georgia almost dead from a combination of both starvation and extreme blood loss from a tick and flea infestation. After a blood transfusion followed by a month stint in an animal hospital where they weren’t sure if he was going to make it, he’s now a very happy puppy. It’s been a year since my last rescue, Becky, passed from cancer at 16 and I wasn’t sure if I was ready for another dog but Oliver has stolen my heart.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

oh my what a handsome boy

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Soft fuzzy ears, and Oliver is a top tier name. :kimchi: Give him kisses forever.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Early morning zoomies after going the bathroom

EDIT: vv ah alright, I went ahead and fixed it vv

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2023

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Early morning zoomies after going the bathroom

Iirc you have to remove the "i" in the url link for it to embed properly in a post - or use the share bbcode that imgur will give you on the gallery page

https://imgur.com/2QB4F8M.mp4

heckin' good zoomies btw

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oliver has discovered: Stick

https://imgur.com/l5as76B.mp4
https://imgur.com/0mYVwal.mp4

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wait until he learns 'stick can be thrown' technology

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sorry for so many videos but Oliver experienced his first ever snow. I think he likes it

https://imgur.com/dMtzFXJ.mp4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m going to give it another couple weeks or so, but I’m considering joining a local foster program for a six-month cohort. I miss having cats around and I want to do something to help cats in need, but I have no idea where I will be or what I will be doing in two years (because lol, america) let alone a decade or more. Plus, I don’t quite know if I’m ready for a long-term commitment so soon after my last.

Am I a reasonable candidate for the foster program? My living situation is a 2-bed 2-bathroom apartment, previously occupied by just 1 cat but the lease allows for 2 max. I am financially stable and gainfully employed, I work from home 3 days out of the week, I can legally drive and I fully own a car, and I have established a relationship with a local veterinary hospital. Arguments against would be that I rent, not own, so I don’t know how a landlord would affect the possibility of fostering.

I’ve also got over a year and a half of experience caring for a senior and special needs cat, with GI issues and twice-daily medication (including biweekly chemotherapy). Both pills and injections. I like to think that means I can help other cats in similar need, but I’m certainly no vet, and maybe there’s something more experienced fosters can see that might throw a wrench in this option.

Good idea/bad idea? Anything I should nail down first before putting my name in?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pollyanna posted:

I’m going to give it another couple weeks or so, but I’m considering joining a local foster program for a six-month cohort. I miss having cats around and I want to do something to help cats in need, but I have no idea where I will be or what I will be doing in two years (because lol, america) let alone a decade or more. Plus, I don’t quite know if I’m ready for a long-term commitment so soon after my last.

Am I a reasonable candidate for the foster program? My living situation is a 2-bed 2-bathroom apartment, previously occupied by just 1 cat but the lease allows for 2 max. I am financially stable and gainfully employed, I work from home 3 days out of the week, I can legally drive and I fully own a car, and I have established a relationship with a local veterinary hospital. Arguments against would be that I rent, not own, so I don’t know how a landlord would affect the possibility of fostering.

I’ve also got over a year and a half of experience caring for a senior and special needs cat, with GI issues and twice-daily medication (including biweekly chemotherapy). Both pills and injections. I like to think that means I can help other cats in similar need, but I’m certainly no vet, and maybe there’s something more experienced fosters can see that might throw a wrench in this option.

Good idea/bad idea? Anything I should nail down first before putting my name in?

Do you have, or can you get, a letter from your landlord that confirms pets are allowed? I know my local shelter requires this. Other requirements may vary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aha, good to know. I can certainly try and get that in writing first.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I haven’t fostered personally, but I think there’s a real range of what cats need when they come to a shelter. Ours were young and healthy but would have really benefited from socialization with humans (since they were feral) and the shelter staff specifically mentioned their regret they didn’t have anyone available to foster our cats, since it probably would have made them easier to adopt out. They were at the shelter for 3 months before we brought them home - the last of their litter - because they were black and bonded and the most skittish.

So I think it’s a very kind thing you’re considering and worth asking about!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My lease explicitly says two cats are allowed, so it should be fine! I can provide a copy of that to them.

kaom posted:

I haven’t fostered personally, but I think there’s a real range of what cats need when they come to a shelter. Ours were young and healthy but would have really benefited from socialization with humans (since they were feral) and the shelter staff specifically mentioned their regret they didn’t have anyone available to foster our cats, since it probably would have made them easier to adopt out. They were at the shelter for 3 months before we brought them home - the last of their litter - because they were black and bonded and the most skittish.

This is a good thing to keep in mind. I’ve been thinking about what kinds of cats I’m interested in fostering, and I’m realizing I’ve only ever truly known one cat, not all cats. I can handle adults and seniors, but am I cut out for kittens and young adults? Especially if they’re significantly different from my previous cat…but if they need help, they need help - I can adjust.

quote:

So I think it’s a very kind thing you’re considering and worth asking about!

I’m glad to hear it :3: Every time I look at listings for cat shelters I get worried about the senior and special needs cats, so…maybe this will help them a little.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Another question: how much space should I have? It sounds like there should ideally be a separate space devoted specifically to the cat(s), but the other room in my ~1000sqft 2br2ba is currently my office and has a couple desks and equipment in it. Those two rooms and bathrooms (plus the living/dining/kitchen) were enough for Jet and I, but he and I were already used to each other and had no problems hanging out in the same area.

Would foster cats be able to handle access to the entire apartment, or am I expected to sequester them in their own room and keep them away from the other living areas? Does this mean my best option is to remove enough from the office to make it more of a cat room?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Pollyanna posted:

This is a good thing to keep in mind. I’ve been thinking about what kinds of cats I’m interested in fostering, and I’m realizing I’ve only ever truly known one cat, not all cats. I can handle adults and seniors, but am I cut out for kittens and young adults? Especially if they’re significantly different from my previous cat…but if they need help, they need help - I can adjust.
I haven't fostered (yet) but I did volunteer at a rescue for about a year until I moved. I think it's great that you're introspecting on this. What I discovered at the rescue is that I can't handle kittens at all. I like the idea of them or just playing with them casually, but when I needed to clean their enclosures or the safe room or provide any kind of care I often felt anxious and annoyed. I did a lot better with the older cats.

Depending on the training provided by the fostering program, if you can get a little experience at a rescue before you commit to bringing cats home you might feel more comfortable.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
You sound like you're in a good position to foster. I know that you'd qualify with the shelter I volunteer at. I say go for it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alright everyone, making the post I never wanted to make.

I just buried Butterscotch.

Over the past week he had lost a lot of interest in his food and seemed to be slowing down. This morning he woke up unable to support his weight and was clearly distressed. I knew it was time.

Got him taken care of at an immensely sweet veterinary practice. Everything was peaceful and caring. I buried him in the woods behind my house.

I cannot be more grateful for the cat that he was for me and my kids. I've gone through a lot of personal hardship over this past year but Butterscotch was always there for me and my children. He was ceaselessly patient with my two year old who was always looking for cuddles and he helped teach my daughter responsibility as her first household chore was feeding him and changing his water.

There were a lot of times over this past year where it was just me and him in my home together and having him here was grounding and comforting.

He was a tremendously good boy, and I'll never forget him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm very sorry. I know that I speak for a lot of people when I say that we're grateful for everything you've shared with us, and that we recognize that it was not all laughs. What an incredibly lucky cat, and he will be missed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I'm also immensely grateful for your sharing Butterscotch with us. I know I won't forget him either, and I think that goes for a lot of us in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I wish I had more to add to what the previous two posters said beyond an additional sorry, but as someone who followed Butterscotch since the old cute pictures thread, thank you for taking care of him for so long and sharing him with us internet weirdos. You gave him a wonderful life, and he brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.