Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Depends on the cat, some of them like the sensation, others don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

vaguely posted:

oh my god it's like you have a portal to the infinite pups dimension

Well that just makes me think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_3NQwtz9yo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SneakyFrog posted:

He loves her to death, named her Cayenne. got her a collar, and little shoes and sweaters and little hats.. :3:

its kinda adorable, he takes her everywhere.

Aw, that's what tiny dogs are for :3:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LivesInGrey posted:

The state of my house is currently "full of cats". Last night we were asked to pick up this gremlin.

He has an eye infection and a URI requring meds. He also has virtually no fat so he has to be fed every three hours and kept on a heating pad. This is the closest to having a kid I ever want to get. His name is Birdie but I want to rename him Dobby because he looks like a house elf.

Since I mentioned having five earlier, here's the best picture I could get of all of them being mostly still in their hutch.

From left they are Jupiter, Mars (I don't know why he has an eye closed), Mercury is on top of Venus, and Moon. Yes, I am a gigantic nerd. That was the first group of 5 I could think of to name them. They're doing pretty good and eating us out of every batch of formula I make. So I filled a jar that formerly held spaghetti sauce and it looks like enough for a while.

You're doing good work there. You keep those Sailor Kittens fed. Also poor Birdie, please let us know if he fattens up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SneakyFrog posted:

You are doing all you can do, dont jump to conclusions just yet or panic, just get some tests done, take a deep breath and soldier on a bit. Its hard sure, but you are doing a really good thing and think of how much worse off they might be without attentive care.

keep being a trooper.

Yeah, keeping fighting for those kittens, you two are all they've got. Even if it is panleukopenia there are treatments for the kittens and vaccinations for the older cats you can get. Just keep going.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LivesInGrey posted:

Our adult cats have been vaccinated, the kittens are kept in carriers, but all kittens are going for vet checks and possibly snap tests for FLV and FIV tomorrow to be sure they're as healthy as can be.

In better news, the reason our previous foster Elizabeth wasn't gaining weight well has been discovered! She has a cleft palate. No lip involvement, only palate. Once she has surgery to repair it, she'll be just fine.

That's good news! Sad she has to get surgery but once that is fixed she'll probably start eating like a champ.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

That deployment thing sounds like an awesome gig. I say go for it!

Also, my house is now kittenless, so have a butterscotch everyone:

That's a lot of butters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Marchegiana posted:

Well, it looks like I'm going to be fostering soon, but first some backstory:

In the spring I noticed a new cat wandering in the neighborhood that would come into my yard and roll all over my catnip. It had a flea collar, so I assumed it belonged to somebody and was mostly just annoyed. I put stakes around the catnip so the cat could no longer roll it to death and promptly forgot about it. Til a month ago, that is, when I accidentally startled this cat while coming out onto my back porch. It was hotter than Satan's ballsack outside, and the poor cat was trying to drink water out of the saucers under my flowerpots. At that point I noticed that it still had on the same flea collar from the spring, and realized it had probably been abandoned. A few days of giving her food and water warmed her up to me, and she now actively seeks me out for petting and brushings and spends a whole lot of her time on my back deck. Asking around the neighborhood and putting found cat notices online has yielded nothing.

So anyway, it just so happens I have connections with the local SPCA- not only have I been a cat foster for them in the past, but my friend works for them as the admissions administrator. She's going to do the admit consult on this cat when she comes over for our Sunday D&D game, and put her on the wait list. In the interim, I'll effectively be fostering her until room opens up at the SPCA, which will probably be in October.

Here's the cat in question:

She was horribly matted when we first started caring for her, but she's super sweet and trusting to the point where she even let me use scissors to cut off the mats that weren't close to her skin. The poor thing is so attention-starved that she'd actually rather be petted than eat. My kids have been calling her Miss Priss (mainly because of the constant look of disdain for humanity that is natural to Persians), but that's not a very adoptable name so we're looking for suggestions on a good name that will catch people's attention in the shelter.

I was going to say Muffin.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tiny Deer posted:

Update on the stupid goblin living in my bathroom:

So the potential owners are...not interested, evidently. They didn't call despite the note I left and they have barricaded their front door shut. I don't think the barricade is related to the cat.

Would it be ethical to start trying to rehome her soon? She (pretty sure she's a girl) is a very energetic, friendly kitten who craves cuddling and attention. I'd say it shouldn't be so hard to find her a home, but the shelters here are all overflowing with kittens--which is one of several reasons I'm not giving her to Animal Control.

I just want to do the right thing by this kitten and even her deadbeat owners, if I can.

Also, if my existing kitten is barely hissing at her in a closed carrier, that's good, right? I think we might have this kitten for a while and it'd be nice to have our bathroom back.

It sounds like they don't care and given the situation they might not have been the most responsible people in the first place, so I'd say go ahead and try to find her a new home (even if it's just yours).

edit:

Iron Crowned posted:

Congratulations on your new kitten!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I feed my cats up to (but not always) three times of day, but honestly I'm really inconsistent with meal times and amounts. It doesn't help that one of my cats will turn into a big fatty if you just let him eat whenever he wants.

That said, a couple of scabs might be overly rough play, have you tried trimming their claws?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

You rang?

This is the first time I've ever been able to document Butters on level 2. It's unfortunate that it took this long because back when he had more butter he covered the whole thing and it looked like he was hovering.

See you all on level 3 soon enough!

Looking at the stare I can understand why he got overfed. Butters just doesn't look happy when he does that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bud K ninja sword posted:

oops here is another one as a SORRY

Yo that's a good cat.

Here's my former farm cat who sometimes thinks he's a people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

A lovely fall day meant it was time for some more cross training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChI32ZPhiPo

I love that Butters, when put down outside, immediately dashes back for inside. It's like opposite cat behavior.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Singing to cats is a time honored tradition.
Edit: I mean I've been doing it for at least 30 years.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nope, if a cat can figure out how to get a cat safe collar off the only thing you can try to do is make the cat like wearing a collar. You can't use a dog collar or anything like that because it could get stuck and choke them. I mean, if it's a cat that doesn't have free roaming privileges you can establish that collar means outside, otherwise you have to just use positive association with treats and hope for the best.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Safari Disco Lion posted:

She's so little give her to me :cry:

She's too little :(

You better get big little kitten.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Midnight Voyager posted:

MY HEART

https://www.instagram.com/midnightvoyager/

Her name is Joy and she is adorable, there are pics and video. I got her from Animal Ark Rescue in Columbus, GA.

A+ cat there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

mistaya posted:

One of mine does the burying thing but never anywhere near her food dish. She just goes to town if you give her a box or a bowl. We call it "digging to China" because she's so determined about it. I think she just likes the sound her claws make on plastic/cardboard.

She could just have trouble finding suitable scratching opportunities around the house.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Blackchamber posted:

I thought kittens didn't respond to :catdrugs:

"I can see infinity"

Because their tiny brains are still developing, some kittens at certain ages basically act like they're on the nip all the time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

As way of an apology for killing so many people in the past hour or so, have another round!

Ooh god, kittens. I am also slain.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Radio! posted:

I'm gonna guess all the orange kittens are boys (orange cats are statistically more likely to be male :science:) and Teddy is a girl.

Yep, oranges are almost always boys.

That said, I bet Panda's a girl anyway and Teddy is too, with the rest being handsome ginger boys.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're dilute orange, kind of a creamy orange. Definitely ginger cats though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't speak for all cats, but when the boys are chill, they tend to be incredibly chill in my experience. My current cats are not very chill though. Our boy very much likes to poke things, especially faces, when he wants something and our girl likes to scream at people when she wants pets or laps or pets on laps.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One of my cats expects there to be food in the bowl even when he's not hungry. Doesn't mean I'm going to feed him, but he still makes a fuss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats tend to ignore names we give them anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe there aren't tons of people interested in getting two cats who are friends when it's so often a total mystery whether cats will tolerate or hate each other.

That has always confused me too. It's not actually harder to take care of two cats over one and it's only a little more expensive. Plus, double the snuggles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah because some assholes deliberately introduced the plague in an attempt to exterminate native prairie dog populations. They're not a natural reservoir of the disease because it has a roughly 99% mortality rate in them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chili posted:

Been too long.

Caption Contest Time!

That giraffe finally had her baby? I missed it!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Radio! posted:

It says there are hot singles in my area!

I hope it's Kraft singles!!!

Can't beat this one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow, good job Butters! You've lost an entire cat's worth of weight!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dismas posted:

i would adopt all of those cats :3:

If I didn't live in a tiny apartment in a different country I'd be going to adopt a cat right now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I can't quite tell from the gif -- is Butters a "terror! must escape soft prison!" cat or a "oh well, this is my life now" cat when he gets covered by a blanket?

OR is he a "snuggly, climb on in and sleep for hours" cat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why would someone give up such a sweetheart?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Congratulations on your incredible cats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Google thinks yon kitten is a mouse, I think you're clear for now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm happy Butterscotch is home with his family. If only every lost kitty had a happy ending.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sneakyfrog posted:

so far no.

just the normal stock of 8

spose the new project is a baby on the way so im working on setting up a baby room and figuring out how to manage the animals.

Baby going to have so many friends.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Scaredy cat spent most of the rest of the day under the couch until he got lured out by some dry food in the evening. He made some rounds around the living room, his cat tree perch, and even hopped up on the sofa with us and had a few treats and made a few laps until he went into the kitchen, knocked over an empty bottle, and right back under the couch he went. Surprisingly he came out a little bit after and went right back to his perch.

There was a lot of progress today.

Here he is watching his buddy play with the cat dancer toy. He may not be ready to play with us just yet but he's very intrigued.

What good boys.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Orange boys are big and great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah for a trip that long see a vet for cat tranquilizers.