Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hooray for Senor Butterball! I know that's not his name, but I can't help myself :3: As always, kudos! You guys do some sterling work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Just chiming in to say thanks to Chili and SneakyFrog not only caring for rescued animals but taking time to post such long stories and updates. You guys make my day!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Hi foster and rescue people! I've lurked since forever, really appreciate everything you superstars do, and now I have a question.

I live off a busy road in a semi-residential area in New England. I sometimes see cats I suspect might be strays, most recently a long haired black dude or lady. The first time I saw it I was driving along said busy road and it was on the side...not the sidewalk but in the breakdown lane. If it hadn't disappeared I would have chased it, however it wasn't an option for me to do so that day. The second time, yesterday, I was outside my apartment in the evening and (s)he approached me when I clucked, gave a few gentle headbutts and rusty meows, then tripped off into the bushes. In the minute or two I had to examine it it didn't seem unduly starved or matted, but the booty area might well have been and its coat felt somewhat dirty. Whether this was because it spent the day lying in dirt before going home or because the dirt is its home, I couldn't say. It certainly didn't have a collar, and while I looked through Craigslist and the area's lost pet service, I couldn't find a match-at least not for cats reported missing in the last 6 months or so. Either this cat is an outdoor cat with no collar, or it's homeless.

Now I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to how I should proceed. We already have two cats; our apartment is very small and it is not an option to keep it...sorry to disappoint, PI. My current plan is to take a can of cat food out whenever I sit outside to use my vaporizer, if it comes back give it to him/her to keep it in the area while I run upstairs for our cardboard cat carrier, and then try to bundle it into the box and bring it inside. Then I will sequester it in our spare room until I can bring it to the local no-kill shelter, where I used to volunteer and now keep a professional relationship with. I intend to bring some food and cash with me when (if, really) I drop it off as a thank-you for everything they do.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up flea treatments to keep in the house from now on, because if the cat (or any others I might find) is truly homeless it likely has fleas. I will not be treating the cat with Advantage/etc, however-if it turns out it's a pet and had already been treated, I don't want to poison the poor thing. Just an all-natural spray, and once it's at the shelter, bombing the poo poo out of the room. I've had fleas before and know how to deal with them.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings. And I'm only assuming it was the same cat both times!

Pictures promised if I run into the little buddy again. It's a pretty cat-long black hair and a tiny white star on the chest :3:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Always be rescuing i guess.. but i am an absolutely horrible example. it sounds good though. and its sounds like you have a big heart which is :3:

good on you.

That's high praise. I do my best. In that vein, let me introduce you to Hobbes.

When I was in college, I lived in a lovely apartment in the bad part of town. In exchange for my cheap rent, hardwood floors, high ceilings, and big windows, I got the chance to hide under a car for half an hour while a meth addict raged in the street-that's another story, and it does involve Mr. Hobbes. What I also got was the high frequency of stray cats in the neighborhood. It broke my heart, but I consoled myself with the fact that most seemed to be doing well, and my landlady and I worked to grab them when we could. Sometimes she'd place them in her basement (a truly creepy place-I called it the "murder basement) but there they would be fed and cared for until another opportunity arose. We even left a radio on for company, and because of the likely mouse infestation, I'm sure the cats loved it. I'd even hang with them while writing papers, trying to socialize them. But for one reason or another, sometimes we couldn't put a stray there. Which is how we come to Hobbes.

The landlady, who I'll call Selina, had been feeding this bony scarecrow of an orange cat for a while. He lived under the back porch (my porch, actually), for the time being, a space she'd made comfortable for strays. But he was so thin, and so scruffy...but SO, SO friendly. I've never had a cat headbutt me so hard, it was like he was trying to liquify his tiny little cat brains. Motherfucker was like a viking. She called him "Jeremiah," a name I found completely unsuitable, but she'd given up Judaism for her ultra-Christian husband who thought Halloween was sinful, so I let it slide.

At the time, I was poor as poor could be. I was in school still, spending every penny on school supplies and rent and food, and knew I couldn't afford the veterinary costs this dumb, bedraggled, sweet fool was sure to incur. So I tried, at first, to pawn him off on my roommate. I said he was a viking (which would appeal to her) and I called him Lochlan, which means 'red-headed warrior' or some such. She hemmed and hawed and ultimately decided it wasn't in her best interest at the present. And my poor, sweet fool wasn't gaining any weight; he was getting scruffier and scruffier. I was starting to panic.

Well, gently caress.

Finally, an angel appeared, in the form of my landlady. Selina came to me and offered to pay for his initial medical bills as long as I'd take him. Can you imagine how long it took me to come to a decision?

Yeah. About that long.

He's still scruffy, he still headbutts like he's trying to break through a wall, sometimes he revenge pees on stuff, but he's my little man. The Orange, Hobbles, The Hubble Telescope...or, officially, Jeremiah Lochlan Hobbes.

A grade-A dork.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for the kind responses, everyone :3: Still no sign of Black Kitty, but I have hope. People are starting to set off fireworks, though...everyone, please keep your eyes peeled for strays in the next few weeks if you're in the US! Because of pets bolting through fear of loud noises, Independence Day is a tough time for shelters. If you *do* pick up a stray, try to keep it at home for as long as you can, especially if your local shelters are high-kill. They will be inundated with found animals.

And, while I'm sure none of you need to hear this, I can't help but remind everyone to double check fencing and collars, bring all indoor/outdoor pets inside for tomorrow at the very least, and remind your friends, family and coworkers to do the same. Dogs can and will jump a fence/break through it if it's not properly secured. Give people a lot of poo poo if they're considering bringing their pet to a fireworks display, because that's borderline cruelty.

Stay safe everybody!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

ZoeDomingo posted:

These kittens are adorable.

However.

I'm really stressed out. They keep clawing at my legs and pulling my hair. One of them leaped up me earlier, clawing small bloody holes all over my torso. I'm saying "No!" very firmly, and sometimes following up with a clap. It seems to startle all the kittens except the one who's doing the thing I'm trying to stop.

Also, they knocked down the curtains in "their" room today, and I'm scared they're going to get hurt somehow. I had a friend with me when I brought them home Sunday, and she looked around the room and said it looked pretty kitten-proof. Obviously, we were wrong.

I really like them, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know it's only been a few days, and everyone tells me (and everything I've read online says) that it's normal to feel this way. But I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job.

Does anyone have any advice or can point me somewhere I can learn more about how to deal with them? I feel like a failure. :(

Is it possible for you to trim their claws? Those needles are drat sharp. Getting them used to having their nails done would actually be a huge bonus for their owners in the future. If you don't know how, there are a lot of good youtube videos, but honestly all you really need to do is burrito them up in a towel and pull one paw out at a time. DO NOT use people nail trimmers; they will crush the nail. Cat/dog ones are super affordable.

Do they have anything in the room they're ALLOWED to claw at? They definitely need a scratching outlet.

Good for you, you're doing great! It's overwhelming at first but it will get better.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright I have a stable income stream and I want to get an animal from a rescue (since this is a rescue thread I think). Is there any kind of things I should be looking for when I'm going through the rescue process? There seems to be a ton of resources available, but part of my brain is going "I go and I get kitty/puppy and they're immediately happy with no problems at all". That might be the case but very likely it won't be.

^SneakyFrog's right up there, but I'm going to expound a little further:

This is completely my own opinion, but I don't recommend getting a dog if you haven't done EXTENSIVE research, have had them before, or spend a lot of time with someone who has one. Dogs, especially rescues, are going to be 10x more complicated than a cat, as well as more expensive. It would involve a LOT of your time. You'd need to have a decent savings cushion for adoption fees/food/accessories/toys/vet bills etc, time for walks, training classes, and socialization, daycare or kenneling if you travel, etc etc. Seriously weigh every one of those considerations before thinking about adopting a dog, and if you do, I don't recommend getting a puppy. I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone adopt a puppy on little more than a whim and having had a family dog as a kid, and the results can be DISASTROUS.

If you're dead set on a dog, try adopting one that's 2 years or older, as their personalities are more settled. Well-run rescues will be able to help match your living situation, energy level, and other considerations to dogs that might fit well with your lifestyle. I generally discourage people from glomming onto a single breed as The Only Option, because they you get people who don't want to take a lot of walks adopting Australian Shepherds, people who can't pay a groomer getting a Poodle, or people who think Chihuahuas don't need to be trained and end up with a bitey little shithead. If you're interested, I'm sure that people here would be happy to recommend a few breeds that might fit your lifestyle, but every dog is different, and breeding is never a guarantee of personality.

That said, and while it's 100% up to you, I think a cat might be a great choice, which is is awesome because cats rock! Most of the above advice is just as applicable to cats, too. Go to your local shelter and let them know about your living situation and what you're looking for in a companion, and if they're worth their salt they'll help match you with some potential friends. Cats are less expensive, generally much more adaptable, can be left at home for longer periods, and are still an awesome addition to any house. Anyone who thinks cat's aren't affectionate, don't care about you, or don't get as attached to you as a dog is so wrong it's almost funny.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when you get 'em!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Unfortunately no pictures, but we managed to nab a neighborhood cat recently! She's a small tabby, probably a year or younger. Very cute and very sweet. No collar, a scab on the neck, and a watery eye but otherwise in good shape. We kept her overnight in our spare room and dropped her off at the local rescue (which I have a professional relationship with and used to volunteer at) the next morning. As we have two large male cats and one small apartment, keeping her wasn't an option. Super proud of my gf though - she's the one who grabbed her and brought her to the shelter. I tried very hard not to let her name the cat as she's very softhearted, but we ended up calling her "Pepper" :3:

If her picture goes up on the website after her quarantine's up, I'll link it. Super lovely little bean. Think I might have to donate a few things at the shelter soon and say hello.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ Alteisen, remind us of the issue with your buddy? If it's something health-related the cat megathread (which I'm pretty sure most of us post in :)) might help more than here.

As an aside, I've been dealing with a male cat that pees on stuff for years now. The other day I sat on my favorite chair, into a PUDDLE of rank, nasty, male cat urine. Goodbye pants, goodbye underwear, goodbye huge lovely pillow that was (thank god) on top of said leather chair. Which he's peed on before. Nature's Miracle only does so much for leather...

I completely understand the feeling of "if I don't talk to someone I will strangle this cat," even though we all know we'd never hurt our pets. It's hard to feel like you're doing the best for your friend only to turn around to them, yet again, being a dick to you or your stuff. Health issues notwithstanding, dealing with the destruction of property is always very stressful.

If what you're dealing with is purely a health issue, understand that it is completely normal to get frustrated when you don't feel like what you're doing is working. It's exhausting and often very expensive. It's human to get fed up for a little bit. Us animal weirdos need to vent too and this is a good place for it. :glomp:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

cat_herder posted:

how old is he? also, are you sure he's totally fixed? some male cats have cryptorchidism and look like they're fixed, but their testicles are just hiding. Did Cat Attract litter help any?

Cats usually mark their favorite places with their scent, but this is usually done by rubbing their faces and sharpening their claws on whatever surface. He might be trying to mark the chair as his favorite spot.

Also, how long do you let his litter box go for? I have p bad depression and let it go sometimes and then find a pee puddle on my side of the bed. Alternatively, get multiple boxes and prime them all with cat-attract litter.

I haven't considered cryptochidism before. This last time it turned out to be a UTI (hopefully fixed after 2 rounds of meds) but Hobbes has always had a habit of peeing on stuff. The previously mentioned puddle incident was what prompted another dose. You're right about the litter boxes, at least in the past, but I've gotten a lot better about it. The puddle incident happened about 3 feet away from a clean litterbox, though.

What I've decided is going on is that he might have some sort of underlying urinary tract issue resulting in recurrent UTIs, but he's also a weird rescue (found out behind apartment) so I also think he's just a little dumb about marking and using litterboxes. Some incidents are clearly revenge-based, on two occasions after returning from a multi-day trip he made a point to pee on something I'd brought with me (shoes, backpack). He eats very good food (Fromm 4-Star kibble with added water for brekkers and Weruva canned at night, also with water, occasionally some Primal freeze dried) but he is quite thin and doesn't seem to care about food much at all, unless it's my food. He is a bit of an anomaly. We have another cat, too, also a male, who tends to bully Hobbes, but not so much that they're at each other's throats or anything. They generally coexist peacefully, even if they're not 100% chuffed with each other all the time. There are 3 litterboxes, but one is in a room I keep closed a lot to keep him from marking/whizzing a giant lake of pee on my leather chair...again.

Oh, I do have some Cat Attract, which I'm using on a regular basis now that you've reiterated to me that I should probably be doing that. Thanks for your concern, and maybe when I take him to the vet next time (which I try to minimize seeing as he has a heart murmur and loving LOSES IT when you put him in the car) I'll ask about cryptochidism.

Oh and Alteisen, good job getting your kitty checked out! Tooth problems suck since they're generally expensive and can change a cat's entire personality-no joke. Our other boy, Bones, had a rotten tooth and it made him a dick. Once we got it fixed he ramped up his cuddleslutting by like 200%. I think your guy will feel a lot better, and so will you!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Coconut oil is fine as long as it's JUST coconut oil. In that case, it's actually thought to be quite good for cats AND dogs! Lots of omegas, good for skin and coat. Some people use it in place of fish oil. It also helps lubricate hairballs. However, it is VERY fatty, so you don't want them to have too much.

Also, horay Alteisen! So happy to hear he's doing well!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Hobbes likes meat: sliced deli meat, steak, chicken, duck...he's stand there and give you The Eyes and paw you ever so gently to get a taste. Since he's suffering from kidney dysfunction and is underweight, he can have whatever he wants. My gf is a chef which helps, he goddamn loves her cooking.

Bones, on the other hand, only wants pizza crusts (to lick), spaghetti, and similar trash. For such a food-motivated beast he's oddly not too interested in the fine meats Hobbes gets.

Cats, man

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

So a while back I made a post about a long haired black cat (I called it "Boogaloo") that I saw in my neighborhood and was concerned about. I saw it again today and it was wearing a flea collar this time, so I think it has a home! Still think it's stupid to have an outdoor cat where I live, but I'm just happy it seems cared for. Still checked out the local 'lost cat' notices of course and couldn't find it on there, so I'm reserving judgement (and nabbing it and taking it to the shelter) until I see it again once it gets cold.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

ZoeDomingo posted:

They are such beautiful little girls! Thank you for sharing!

Speaking of kittens and eating, at what point does the guideline "let kittens eat as much as they want" turn into "monitor how much they eat so they won't get fat?" My three little ones (they'll be six months old next Wednesday) have grown quite a bit since I got them back in August. When I got them they all weighed in the neighborhood of 3 pounds. When I took them to the vet about a month later for their rabies shot, Emily was up to 4 pounds, Henry to 5.5 pounds, and George to 6.1 pounds. I'm sure they've grown more since (especially George!). Emily is lagging behind the other two, but I think she's just going to be a smaller cat. Also, her brothers seem to have some sort of other kind of cat mixed in that makes them bigger and different-looking than her in general (longer, taller, bigger ears, shorter fur, etc.). And she eats just fine, cleaning her bowl alongside her brothers most of the time.

George has grown so fast that I know he'll reach "adult" size (whatever the average adult size for a cat like him is) before the other two. He's not fat, but he's definitely bigger than Emily and Henry. He gets plenty of exercise by racing around the place and "fighting" with the other two. But I don't want to set him off on a bad path if I can help it.

Right now I'm giving them wet food in the morning and evening (splitting a 5.5 oz. can among them each time), and providing them with dry food during the day and night. When should I start adjusting this? Would I need to try to restrict George's intake while letting the others free feed (because that will likely be impossible, as he quickly cleans up after the other two when they stop eating)?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I've posted a few questions in the Cat Questions Megathread, but I never seem to get any response.

So you're in a tricky spot since you have 3 cats all coming into maturity at the same time, and obviously George is more food-driven. What I recommend is to keep an eye on their weight by massaging their ribs--there are some great graphics showing ideal weights for cats you can check out--but basically you want to feel the ribs without too much effort. If you start to notice Miss Emily losing weight, or you're able to feel her ribs much easier then the boys, then a different method of feeding may be in order. Also, if George is really SUPER food driven, you may have to sequester him during his meals so that he doesn't gobble up his sibling's food before they can get at it, but it seems they have an understanding as of now. If he continues to gain weight past the 'rib' threshold as he ages, it's time to reconsider.

Cats generally reach their adult size at around a year, but this can vary. You won't be able to 'predict' what their ideal weight is until this time, so monitoring them individually will likely be your best bet. Once they do arrive at their adult sizes, there are calculators online that will tell you how many calories each will need to maintain their weight, and by observation you can try to determine how much each cat actually consumes, not just what you give them, and make adjustments as needed.

A note: The 'recommended feeding' amounts on cat food is meant for you to feet to your cat's ideal weight, not the weight they're at at the time. It might seem obvious but I can't count the times I've had to explain this to people.

I hope that helps a little!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^What pretty kitties! I'm glad you found my blathering helpful. You're a good person to adopt THREE needy kitties and give them a good home. Keep at it!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^From everything I've read (I am not a vet), you cannot pass a human cold onto a cat (although there seem to be some people who believe otherwise). Zoonotic diseases like toxoplasmosis can be transferred from cats to people, but human rhinovirus is not transmittable to cats.

So we can catch some diseases from cats, but it borders on impossible for your cat to become sick from your cold, unless it's not actually a cold. You can give diseases to cats, but they are pretty rare-H1N1 was recorded in a cat, in ONE case, for example.

Your sister and her daughter shouldn't have anything to worry about, but your niece should still be washing her hands before/after play (as kittens often have feces on their lil' butts) but that is more for her sake than the cat.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Hope y'all don't mind a crosspost (by me) from the cute thread in PYF, but I thought you fine folks might appreciate it.

I work at a specialty pet store/dog wash, where people can wash their dogs themselves or have us do it for them. We got a call earlier today from a new customer looking for a full serve appointment for a Keeshond (think small dark akita) she had just picked up from a family friend. Apparently, the new customer, "Lana," had driven up from Massachusetts into Maine after talking with the dog's owner and having met the dog many times over a few years while visiting her mother. She was concerned the dog, Zenni, was being neglected and had finally convinced the owner to let her take Zenni and find her a home that fit her needs.

I didn't know any of these details when Lana, her daughter Sylvia, and Zenni walked through the door, all I thought was "Holy poo poo, when was the last time this dog was brushed??" I was completely poleaxed by the state this poor pup was in. She clearly hadn't been brushed in what I'm sure was MONTHS, and had poop stuck to her butt as well as more than a couple fleas. I put her in the tub and was tugging handfuls of matted hair out of her, which she took extremely well. Most dogs hate the bath and many aren't fond of being brushed, especially when you're pulling fist-sized matts out of them, but Zenni was a loving champ. She panted hard the whole time but only whined twice, let me maneuver her as needed, and even clip her nails and use our industrial blow drier. I can't have a dog due to job/living space but I kind of fell in love with her, and really wish I could have taken her. She has an amazing temperament.

All of this was great, but I ended up spending well over 2 hours on Zenni, well past the time my shift ended. I think I became a bit maniacal, I ended up using a special conditioner and conditioning spray that I didn't charge Lana for because goddamn was I gonna make that dog pretty. After the first hour and a half or so Lana and Sylvia (mid-20's) came back from an errand and hung around while I finished up so I learned her whole story as written above. Her previous owner fed her only once a day, in the mornings. Zenni was usually housebroken unless "her owner was gone for 14 hours or so." She got very little exercise, but was luckily neither obese or emaciated. And god, what a good loving dog. She was sweet as could be, and I really, really, really wish I was in a position to take her.

At the end, I finally let Zenni go. Lana took a picture of us and texted it to me, which was lovely of her, and promised to let me know if they would decide to keep her themselves or rehome her after an extensive background check--Lana's done this sort of thing before. I promised to post on Facebook if she became available. Additionally, Lana mentioned she'd like to give me a tip on her credit card, which was very nice, but I usually expect about $5, maybe $10. My coworker rung her up, so I didn't see it until they left.

Lana tipped me $50.

Moral of the story: if you know anyone who is neglecting their dog, you can convince them--maybe over a long period of time--that the dog, cat, or whatever might be better elsewhere. Sometimes you win that fight and the animal goes on to a wonderful life they never could have dreamed.

If you know of a animal like this, don't wait. Broach the subject, make your argument. Let it simmer if you have to. But if the results are anything like Zenni, you won't be disappointed.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

luloo123 posted:

You are a good person, and that is an awesome dog.

Thanks dude! She was pretty drat awesome. And Chili, Monty looks like a Top Notch A+ Excellent Handsome Catte.

Also I mentioned Lana gave me a huge tip, but forgot to add that I'm donating $10 worth of dog stuff (I get a discount at work, so it's a better deal) to the local refuge league. I think Zenni would like that :unsmith:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Hello again friends of animals, do y'all remember Zenni? Well, it looks like she's home! The lady who rescued her decided to keep her, of course. Apparently she spins like a top when you brush her :3: (which I didn't notice as I was brushing her in a tub). Still sad I couldn't keep her myself, she's a goddamned treasure.

Look at this beautiful little girl, waiting for some chicken with her new brother:

A Good, Good Dogge...finally home.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ Doubling down. Alteisen, you are good people. Keep rocking it 'cause you clearly care and these poor kitties know it. You're doing a wonderful thing helping them the way you do. Have you considered building a small shelter on your property for them to hang out in when the weather is bad, and for safety? There's some great guides online and this might limit the dangers of simple exposure and help keep these little dudes healthier, longer. I might be inventing this, but your area is pretty high-kill, right?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Hello fellow animal goobers, I found this company while I was trolling the internet for christmas gifts and thought y'all might be interested:

Rescue Chocolate https://www.rescuechocolate.com/collections/all

They make all kinds of really tasty-looking chocolates with names like "Peanut Butter Pitbull" and "Calico Coconut Rum" but I think my favorite is "Bananas Foster Dogs," which is what made me think of all of you lovely folks :3:

Also, I'm thinking of building an outdoor cat shelter, but I rent an apartment and I have no idea where I'd put one, let alone if my landlady would allow it. I would want to try and capture any little dudes that utilize it as I'm confident in our local refuge league finding good homes for them. Has anyone had experience trying to convince a landlord to do something like this? I have little to no interaction with her unless something breaks, but we're very good tenants and have lived here for like 8 years. Should I just do it and see what happens? I live in Maine so winters here are super brutal.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

I hope it's okay to post this here, but my friend/coworker and I hosted a doggie "kissing booth" event at our store to raise money for local rescues (over $300 and lots of food, treats, toys, etc!) and the photographer kindly made us a slideshow of some of the pictures she took. Most of the dogs pictured are rescues, and the big yellow lab/hound mix you see at the beginning was the inspiration for the event. Much of the money raised is going to the organization (Almost Home Rescue, great name) that got him out of Alabama and up north to be loved and spoiled forever.

https://animoto.com/play/sSd5KYbWH6IlT5vc2wffzg?autostart=1

My buddy and I had a hell of a fun time putting this together for the second year running, we even had a dog treat bake sale and our boss offered to reimburse us for the ingredients. God I love working with dogs, y'all.

(also those drat kittens are KILLING me Chili, KILLING ME!)

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Bud K ninja sword posted:

you are a really cool person and that is :kimchi: as fuuuuuck

Aw thanks man! Working with dogs is a blast :3:

Also Butterscotch is such a big baby, his desperate cries are very similar to those of my wannabe tubster Bones, or as we call him in his moments of petulance, Boner.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Yeah when fosters come by it can be a real problem, I don't have a dog (living situation doesn't allow them, and I work 2 jobs) so a few doggos have really tugged at my heartstrings to the point where a year later I'm still pining for them...Drifter I wanted you so bad :cry:

The upside is every foster dog that comes by for a bath gets tons of free add-ons and treats and free food samples and sometimes a toy I buy for them because I'm such a sucker, really. Currently working with my boss to start a program where certified fosters get 10% off everything and he's on board!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

My boys go loving nuts for just the tuna juice, and sometimes when I'm making tuna salad I'll pour the juice over their regular food. Mr. Hobbes, who had a kidney infarction and is very thin, is super picky about food but if I put juice on it he'd eat a rock.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Renal food can be a godsend. When my girl was diagnosed, the vet said the right diet could give her 5 high-quality years. And she loved the food. She ultimately died about 2 years later, but it wasn't from kidney failure--her kidneys stayed at Stage II the entire time. Keep up the great work!

Hey you've reminded me of something, there's a non-terrible brand out, Dave's, that makes cat (and dog!) food that fits some of the parameters that prescription foods pretend they're the only ones doing. Low protein and phosphorus (kidney issues), and low magnesium and phosphorus (urinary). It uses brown rice and alfalfa as opposed to corn, and just eliminated carrageenan, a controversial thickener made with seaweed, as an ingredient. A 5.5 oz, 24 case of the "urinary" formula goes for $33.99 on Chewy's right now - though I'll always say check locally first.

I in no way mean to encourage people to toss what their vet has said aside for a post some random chick made on an internet forum, but I do think it's wise for your wallet (and the sake of your pets, there are some questionable/undesirable ingredients in prescription foods, and a lot of bullshit that goes with it) to explore other options. After all, if the prescription foods tout that they have less x and y, and more z, then it's valid to explore options that fit x, y, and z that don't beggar you and might end up working better.

For example I have a cat with renal issues, and balked pretty hard at feeding prescription due to the research I've done on the companies and ingredients and the simple fact that my dude hated it. Like, just despised it and was severely underweight. I found out a few things that fit the bill better by being more palatable and affordable and he's sooo much better, like begging for dinner and running around like an rear end in a top hat again better.

Again, I will stress, I am not a veterinarian. But I have spoken to my vet about my choices and she is 100% supportive. Also I realize that a simple post about a brand I just found out about and might be helpful turned into a tirade. Sorry, dudes! Keep up the good work!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

I always tell my cats what they're having for dinner, including the stupid product name.

"Oh boys, tonight we're having Weruva's Tuna and Beef Baby-Cakes*! You're gonna love it!"

*actual name of actual food

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

If anyone lives in the Portland (Maine) area, y'all should come to the Fur Ball this Friday! It's a yearly gala the local Animal Refuge League throws to raise money. It's pretty swanky! You should also check and see if your local rescues do something like this - it's a great way to spend a night out to help animals, and if you have a partner that likes social events it's a loving awesome date.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ Clay is a dork and those are awesome names.

Also I recently stumbled across a dog on a rescue website in NH who got his head stuck in a yellow jacket nest as a puppy and has a ?permanently? deformed ear that sticks straight up. I waaaannntt him (and can't have him)

His name is...Jack.

EDIT: HE'S NOT ON THEIR PAGE I think he found a home! :woop:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

So many behavioral medications are super expensive or require a prescription. Have you tried CBD (cannabidoid) treats/oil/pills - medical marijuana for pets? It made a HUGE difference with my cat's car terror (used to pee, poop, drool, cry and shake) and now he's just mildly freaked out, after seriously 1 single dose over a year ago. Not insanely expensive, chance of bad reaction minimal. I sell them at the store I work at and CBD has quickly eclipsed all other anxiety treatments. Great reviews from customers. I've never sold it explicitly for cat urine issues but as it seems Monty is healthy and this is a behavioral thing, I would absolutely recommend it for you.

This is the brand we sell:
https://www.treatibles.com/

It's not crazy cheap but remember that Monty wouldn't need a ton of it, so the mileage you get out of it is impressive. Also would be great for anxious fosters. Hell, I had a coworker give the pills to her dad after a skiing accident and he stopped taking opioids weeks ahead of schedule. Lots of potential uses!

Let me know if you have questions. Good luck with your little dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Chili posted:

I used to joke that Butterscotch was kind of a warm-up for being a parent.

I was totally wrong.

Having now been the father of an infant for 3 months, Butterscotch is harder.

Ever since the little one came in, he's been in full velcro mode. If I'm in the house, standing or sitting, he's always right the gently caress there. And now the pre-meal symphony begins roughly 2 hours before feeds. It's all manageable but he's also gotten a lot more aggressive with our other (much better behaved) cat. I'm actually considering medication. He seems super anxious, all the time. Like, it's not just cuddles, I'm worried he's feeling scared or something. It certainly won't get better as the baby turns into a grabby toddler. Don't know if any of y'all have any experience with drugging your cats beyond catnip, but I've heard it can be a decent option. Feedback is appreciated.

In the meantime, we tried to help make him feel better by giving him one of the baby's bows as a tie. Did it help? You be the judge.

Have you considered CBD? It's marijuana without THC so it doesn't make them high - medical marijuana. My cat, Hobbes, used to have a terrible time in the car. He was sick at the time with a thyroid issue and bladder infection, so we had to go to the vet a lot, and every time was a mess. He would pee, poop, cry, drool, shake and his heart would beat so fast I was scared I'd kill him - he was 13 at the time, with a heart murmur. I work at an animal supply store and had been selling a brand called Treatibles to people who had dogs with anxiety issues, arthritis and so on. Treatibles is CBD in treats, pills, and tinctures, all THC removed and dosed per pound. I gave Hobbes a dose in the form of a dog biscuit (cheapest option; had to basically pill him - he wasn't interested in a pumpkin dog treat) and it was like loving magic. He cried a bit, and his ears still reddened from the blood pumping into his little walnut head, but I didn't have to hand a poo poo-covered cat to my vet. Ever since then, even without a dose, he's been just as good - although I dosed him once as a preventative a year later in case his chillness wore off. The best part is you don't need a prescription, and it's pretty much unheard of for your pet to have a bad reaction unless they're allergic to the ingredients in the treat itself. They might sleep a bit more...though with a cat you probably wouldn't notice. I've had customers swear their separation anxiety-ridden dog stopped barking when they left, their 12-year-old was able to finally take a walk again, and it's a godsend for a pet going through cancer treatment. I was also finally able to brush a repeat customer (oh, Barkley) for the first time without him trying more than a lazy nibble.

There's a lot of similar products out there, too - certainly doesn't have to be Treatibles, just make sure they're testing for THC. It's really affordable so you don't have to dump a ton of money into something that might not work. I will say that it became our best-selling supplement in one month, far eclipsing Thunder Shirts and the like. We had multiple customers take their dog off Valium or Trazodone or what have you, and people who tried a sample bought the product an overwhelming proportion of the time. Also: 100% legal. Seriously cool poo poo, and I highly recommend it. Butters deserves only the best!

https://treatibles.com/