Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whenever I see Butterscotch videos I feel like they need a tuba soundtrack. He's so great.

Your little free loaders are also great. I hope they find a new loving home soon!

Do you do the foster interviews for your organization too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How much does he weigh now? He's looking trim.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Oh my goodnes! It hadn't occurred to me that we hadn't weighed him in a while. Your post prompted me and he weighs 23.5 pounds now! Down a whole pound since his last weigh in! Thank you for reminding me, this just made my day!

Holy crap good job Butterscotch! Pretty soon it'll be all rock hard abs and cleft chins.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

GUYS GUYS

Tic Tac:

I just can't

Mark my words: this one's trouble.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
His sprint is quick but I doubt he's much of an endurance runner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
RIP Mo, you were a tremendous badass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yes this. Runt kittens grow up to be adult cats who are itty bitty their whole lives and super cuddly and loving from being hand-reared.

Not my runt. He just trips me all the god drat time and screams whenever the abstract concept of the kitchen crosses his tiny mind.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It seems wrong somehow to raise money for pugs by performing sustained aerobic exercise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

:3:

I bought a cat tree. i underestimated its size its is quite large. I may have made a mistake but it is too late now.

Better buy another of the same size and join them together.

If you're gonna already be too big, you might as well go for comic effect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe you can make him a girdle or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LivesInGrey posted:

As a present to our permanent cats for dealing with this year's crop of kittens, we bought them a new, taller cat tree. Let's see if future babies are willing to climb up six feet to harass them.

We had kittens at one point and the older cats would knock the kittens straight off the cat tree.

They'd fall, wailing all the way, bounce off the ground then climb the cat tree again to get another dose of rear end-beating.

So at least it will be more entertaining for the existing cats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh wow, early butterstare. That cat had seen some poo poo from an early age.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm sorry about whatever that is, but it's good news that Butters is still losing weight (even if it might be too much weight).

What kind of treats does he like?

("Yes")

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

If by "yes" you mean everything, then yes.

Though I will say his favorite thing seems to be coconut oil, which I'm very sure he shouldn't have. But my wife puts in on her legs sometimes and he attacks them like they're sausages. He also tries to wrestle the jar open and we caught him last night licking it and kicking it around like a soccer ball.

The amount of times I just look at him, shake my head, and go "Jesus Christ" is incalculable.

My idiot kitten goes apeshit for coconut oil too. I looked it up; it's not poisonous but I feel like he shouldn't be eating it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Who rules Buttertown?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Soon he will be unstoppable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yay for lighter, trimmer Butterscotch!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa, she's almost a real cat now. Awesome!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

WHY DON'T MY JOWLS MAKE THAT SLAPPING NOISE ANYMORE

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hey Monty, look over there! It's... cheeseburgers!

Why aren't you looking?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Good, you should think about! This is definitely one of the more special kittens I've worked with. I don't say that about many. They're all great of course, but some are especially cool. Jerky is definitely one of the smarter kittens I've worked with, and she's also insanely lively!

She's smarter and better at killing than my one-year-old already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Oh, and another first for me, is a kitty that likes being weighed. They usually fight with me nonstop when they're on the scale but Cherokee....

Poses it up:

I feel like you just need to put a box on the scale and then subtract the weight of the box later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Anyway, here's momma giving them baths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1d6Wa1eHQ

As you'll see the kittens still haven't worked out how gravity works quite yet, and that lifting their heads up too high ultimately means toppling over.

This improved a seriously crappy day by a lot. :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Marchegiana posted:

In desperation to find something to occupy them during this time I brought in one of our cats toys, the mouse on the stretchy cord. They went absolutely batshit, unfortunately I only got video of the last couple minutes but what you see here went on for like 10 minutes before this. Sorry for shakycam but it's hard to film while laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxmNkgAm5kk

Now we know why cats don't hunt in packs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Teddy is the best of the bunch but it's a really close competition.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

One of my cats expects there to be food in the bowl even when he's not hungry. Doesn't mean I'm going to feed him, but he still makes a fuss.

Once in awhile it might work!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm surprised there isn't a suction cup or some kind of weighted insert that you can put on that maze to keep it from tipping over. It looks like the rubber mat has a little flange that mounts it to the dish but that doesn't seem like enough.

My cat would have taken a runner at that thing from the opposite side of the room and blown it apart within seconds, but Butterscotch clearly has a gentle spirit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
These look like great cats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My little guy hates my Furminator. He keeps trying to bite his own fur off of it after a good pass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

No its damage, when the momma cat cat him I had to rush her to the vet when I noticed something was wrong, I have never broken so many speed laws in my life but gently caress it lives where at stake, they couldn't quite tell how long he'd been out not if he'd pull through but thankfully he did.

It has never occurred to me to trust any of my cats with a can, I always just put it in a neat little pile on a plate for them while singing.

Pretty cute for an apparent dumbass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

The amount of Butter contained within this bag is truly staggering.

In order to carry him in this bag, you must have Understanding of your limits, Knowledge to control his bulk, Courage to show the world this unrelenting tide of butter, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

All these traits are necessary to master the Butterscotch Special Mega Carrying In Bag Challenge!

...You are unable to carry him in this bag in your current state.

I feel like my bond with Butterscotch will get deeper soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those look like great choices. Who was the best cuddle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man he's so slim now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should be looking for Weight Watchers sponsorship or something, do one of those before and after photos.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm glad you were able to save that hawk. Poor little dude, hope he has a good winter and a successful release.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Since about October, I have been dealing with a younger cat who has some mental issues and would piss in various corners of the house to assert his dominance over an imaginary home invader but loves the other cat who actually lives in our house with him. At one point, he was so stressed that he was pissing blood and blocking his urethra which led to a hospitalization.

It started with "hey maybe I'll piss behind the TV today," which was temporarily fixed with more litter boxes, and then it just spiralled.

We went through a ton of vet visits - spent a ludicrous amount of money - to give him basically a clean bill of health. After a few different drug trials ranging from periodic injections (blinding rage) to opiate painkillers (stared at walls and drooled in a near coma), we figured out it wasn't a mechanical problem.

Ended up putting him on expensive antipsychotics, which didn't help (2-3 months to see any effect, according to the spec) and had some weird side effects.

Doc put him on Cerenia, which is putatively an anti-nausea drug but also works as a very mild antipsychotic (according to the weird vet forum our vet posts on), and then I started rewarding him for using the litter box by giving him treats. Some combination of doing those two things worked. We also tried Feliway at the same time, but the dispensers have since run dry and if anything his behaviour has improved.

Every cat is different, but we had one hell of a run with this one. I thought it was deliberate/for attention until once we saw him freak the gently caress out about seeing the neighbour's cat on the deck and start pissing on the door in retaliation. We never went to a behaviorist since the one in our city was booked solid for months in advance.

I've been cleaning the house ever since and it is unbelievably hard. Every so often I catch a whiff of a corner where he left me a surprise months earlier and I am trying not to convince myself that everyone who visits the house is thinking that I am a complete burnout who can't manage life.

Two things that helped: the big bottles of Nature's Miracle fit a squirt nozzle top, and you can get a cheap UV LED flashlight off Amazon that makes piss light up like you're Gil loving Grissom.

You have my sympathy for sure. If you just want someone to complain to, feel free to send a PM.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder if you can work with another foster group in town or something to defray some of the expense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sneakyfrog posted:

most likely I suppose, I just always get so caught up in "omg tiny cute thing" I forget to ever ask for help :shrug:

It does seem like you are an intake magnet, and also know what you are doing. At the very least, they should be aware of your antics because they probably have a deal worked out with localish vets.

Knowing other fosters can't hurt either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cerenia (the anti-hairball med) did wonders to fix my orange cat's weird paranoid streaks and resulting pissing matches. My vet suggested it because she saw it recommended as an off-label use on some goony vet forum.

As far as I can tell, the side effects are pretty minimal, and the pill is cheap and can be put into a Pill Pocket (which he loves).

He was never clingy or anything, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Good stress tester for their cat furniture business.