Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chili posted:

He is too. He's such a tub.

How's he doing on the weight loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haji posted:

WTF? Who feeds kittens cow milk?

Well meaning but clueless people who only know that kittens are supposed to love milk from Tom & Jerry cartoons I'm guessing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found this in PYF, seems applicable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dienes posted:

When I was little, my cat Grall would go nuts for green beans. Which, as a little girl, suited me fine. We had a wonderful symbiotic relationship.

Emma is so pretty!

When I was a kid, one of our cats went berserk for popcorn. Didn't matter what kind - buttered, salted, or not, she really really loved popcorn.

Cats are weird, guys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My family had three cats over the years. First one was the popcorn fiend, she'd start going nuts if she heard popcorn going pop in the microwave. Second adored pumpkin of all things. Never any other veggies, just pumpkin and pumpkin pie. Third was a normal cat, if it was made of meat he wanted it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mistaya posted:

Yay for Octopus!

My Sam was that way too, he'd been at his no-kill shelter for over a year, the black kitten that hid until he was too old to be cute and then was always ignored. The shelter lady warned me he'd hide for a few days and then he'd come out of his shell and she was exactly right. Three days he wouldn't come out of a closet, literally. Had to put his dish and box in there for him and let him adjust. On day three it was like a switch got flipped and I had the most loving cuddle cat I'd ever met.

Every time we move it's the same thing though. THE WORLD IS ENDING closet time for a couple days then, boom, it's suddenly his house and everything's fine.

I'm glad the shelter knew to tell me he'd act that way though.

This is why I always recommend people go to shelters when looking to get a cat. Beyond just the ethical issues, if it's a well-run shelter the staff will be familiar with the cats and can point you to a cat whose personality and behavior matches what you want and can tell you in advance about any oddities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chili posted:

Alright everyone, a new litter was promised and I shall deliver. They're about a week old. They are so teeny!!!

And for your viewing pleasure, an unboxing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho43ujIQMEk

I'm not familiar with kittens that young, is it normal to have one or two that haven't opened their eyes yet unlike their siblings?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Interesting.

Also, must have been a very pale tom with those mostly white kittens and the tabby mom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

You'd be surprised how dark they'll be when they grow up.

I probably would. :) I don't have much experience with kittens, all of my family's cats were at least cat-teenagers when we adopted them because my parents wanted an idea of their adult personalities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chili posted:

Foster kitty update video, good times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIobF3slfYs

This made me feel much better on a lovely morning, thank you. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seriously, these photos and videos are great. World keeps threatening to go to poo poo and it's good to know there's a bunch of happy kittens learning to play with toys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alteisen posted:

I keep telling people to stop focusing on the ugly, there's beauty everywhere.

Yes, I read the exact same post from you up in PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alteisen posted:

This is why I can't foster, as the moment that gorgeous dog had started licking my face and looking at me with those gorgeous eyes I would have told the women bringing her "I'll take her, just give me the papers."

That's okay, the shelter staff are expecting that to happen more often than not. I volunteered at a shelter for a few years and we took bets on whether anyone fostering an animal would end up adopting it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

neongrey posted:

Gotta keep the cats socialized so they're ready to be around people when they go home! It was two solid hours of cat petting.

This is exactly what I did for my service learning hours in college. Went to local animal shelter, sat down in cat house, pet cats and let them approach me and get used to humans while I read a book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stellar['s sea cow]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another kitten sea life option: Flounder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Somewhat related and too amusing to not crosspost.

muscles like this! posted:

Something pretty fantastic I found online today.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the kittens of AFK Cat Rescue in Huntsville Alabama. They were all named by a neural network.

"Parihen the Thawk: This guy was surrendered to an animal shelter after he hitched a ride in the engine of a car. He had a dislocated leg but it’s healing well with rest. He’s shy, tiny and misses his bff who is in the hospital right now for her much worse injuries. He’s got a lot of energy and loves to show off his belly."

"Jexley Pickle - This little girl is a hoot and a half. She’s full of energy, bounce and comedy. She loves to nurse on ear lobes and finger tips. She’s about 6 weeks old and was found after being chased up a tree by a dog. "

"Mag Jeggles - When you touch him he rattles from head to tail with purrs. He’s so sweet. He was simply too young to be made available for adoption, and was rescued from a shelter that could not care for him."

"Snox Boops - He was in a room with a lot of kittens that were too small to place up for adoption and even much smaller than the others in the room. When you pick him up he capsizes in your hands and starts purring. He’s got a huge voice and a huge demand for love and attention. "

"Mumcake - She was brought into a shelter as a stray, but she was too young for adoption and if she wasn’t pulled by rescue she would have been subject for euthanasia. She’s adorable, loving, outgoing and shoots sunshine right out of her butt. (Sunshine ejection not shown; you have AFK’s word for it.)"

"Tilly Mapper - This little girl also took a ride in a car engine and her rear leg was nearly completely severed as a result. She’s been stitched up but she’s had an infection set in. She is only around 8 weeks old and she’s in very poor body condition from having tried to make it on the streets. We hospitalized her yesterday and she’s doing much better. We hope to have her back to foster home by Friday."

And the big D...

Big Wiggy Bool - He is a doll-faced persian that was surrendered to a kill shelter when his family could not take him on their cross country move. He’s five years old and has obviously been doted on. He’s super affectionate, very easy going and a talker! He’s been recently groomed and trimmed up by Robyn Warner with Goin to the Dogs and Cats Mobile Grooming Service. And he loves belly rubs. Rubbing that fluffy, soft belly is an experience so wonderful it can only be discussed in breathless whispers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another crosspost from PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

neongrey posted:

Oh gosh, I totally forgot, here's the cat cuddling from earlier in the month. https://imgur.com/a/ceifn

That is a drat wise little girl to agree with her mom that a kitten's not right for them. Kittens are adorable and horrible assholes in equal measure, in my experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gorgar posted:

I hope that person is better than they sound. Not wanting her back. *grump*

They probably assumed they'd have to pay for spaying her and taking care of the kittens and vet bills etc, and couldn't afford it so they decided to give her up to a shelter instead. The shelter's taking care of that stuff, which it sounds like this family couldn't pay for, so they're taking her back.

I'm guessing she's a much loved pet of a very poor family that couldn't afford to take the best care of her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pander posted:

Yeah a whole lotta good breed possibilities. Catahoula, Ridgeback, Cattle, Island dogs...

But ultimatley he's the best breed: loveable mutt.

Seems to be an American Brown Dog, a fine choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sometimes, the rescue life chooses you.

https://twitter.com/ParisZarcilla/status/1001748442119593984
https://twitter.com/ParisZarcilla/status/1001773937980735493

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wroughtirony posted:

Here he is being adorable while awake. With a bonus Dexter.

That is a terrific soul patch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMchna posted:

So I just got a new foster kitten that was part of a small colony. She's skittish when I go towards her even slowly but will sleep like 2 feet from me and screams when I leave the quarantine room. What should I be doing to socialize her better? My previous fosters were kittens from a litter that other fosters had so they were already social with humans. What do?

Is she by herself? Kittens are assholes, get two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Y'all are certified saints.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A goon in the Florida goons discord fosters kittens for their local shelter. This is their latest, and I love the little doof's expression.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine, but relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/ueA5PoE.mp4