Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Chili posted:

Looking at back at this video almost has me misty eyed, he's essentially doing the same thing but can hardly move in comparison to now, after losing the 7 pounds. So proud of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMiwrzYCP8

Catnip normally only affects cats for about ten minutes at a time, after which they're no longer susceptible until they "reset," which takes about two hours. You probably caught Butters just as the high was ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chili, I really appreciate the work you do as a fosterer. That said, I'm also really glad that Butterscotch is your forever cat.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alteisen posted:

So yea, sorry for the downer of a post but since you asked, if you are interested in caring for terminally ill pets make sure you're made of pretty stern stuff because its amazing how they worm their way into your hearts regardless of the time spent with you.

I wouldn't have made it through one. You're a great person and they were lucky to have you.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I used to have a yellow lab/husky who thought he should do anything he saw us doing. He saw us pet the cat, so he'd try to pet him too, with all the fine motor control dogs are known for...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think we would all feel better if we saw a picture of Butterscotch.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems to have less existential dread these days. Perhaps he no longer experiences the absurd condition of existence so deeply.

Well, there's less of him to experience it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hobbes is a quality cat.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Geolicious posted:

I want to share a SuperDuper Shelter Success Story!

This is Doug. Doug came to the shelter on June 25th. Yesterday was his first day off stray hold and in the adoptable cat area. He was there for 4 whole hours before he was adopted by a cute young couple who wanted a sweet young playful cat. Enter stage right: Doug!

Doug also loves catnip.

That is some serious goddamned mlem right there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Butters looks like he needs basically all the snuggles.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's the buttery existential dread we've come to know and love.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I will say that if you have the resources, two cats is the best number to get. Because you're not going to be home all the time, and cats get bored and lonely.

And from a practical standpoint, a bored cat on its own will destroy your stuff. If you have two, a bored cat will go and bother the other cat.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alteisen posted:

Any of you guys have any experience dealing with stomatis?

My cat has it and its worrying the hell out of me, he's on antibiotics for now.

I haven't replied before this because I haven't dealt with it, but I wanted to say I hope your cat's doing okay.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
At least that sounds like something pretty easy to fix. Poor little guy.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Orange one's trying it, Frank."

"Okay, Molly."

"It's your turn to knock it down, Frank."

"I know, Molly! Give me a second, all right? Jeez."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If they're not in a situation where they can keep the cat, let them know that you'll keep him safe and that he'll have a nice home where he's happy and loved.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's good to hear. I'm glad the pupper's adventure had a happy ending.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hooray for happy kitty stories!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm so sorry, Alteisen. I hope they give you good news.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The solution is obvious; A medical camera to take viewers on a trip inside Butterscotch! :pseudo:

I dunno, man. I have a suspicion the inside is not as fluffy as the outside.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
We call Jessie the hamthief for her love of all things coldcut. She also loves apples. Well, she doesn't love eating them. But if I'm having apple slices, she has to grab my hand and try giving them a taste, at which point she will turn away in disgust. At least, until I try to eat it again, at which point she'll once more grab it.

I guess she figures if I'm eating it, it must be good.

Esme has not displayed any particular liking for human food, but she can still be a little shy.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Catnip mice are usually pretty welcome, and they're cheap.

Weirdly, one of my cats' favorite toys is a little plush soot sprite. It's basically just a ball with eyes, but they love carrying it around, shading it, and gnawing upon it. I've also got a toy tribble that Esme loves to wrestle if I'll hold it it and shake it around the cat tree.

Really, any sort of plush toy is probably fine, especially if it has catnip.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
He's already a little freaked out by his environment changing, so he's going to be pretty wary of new things for a while. He's probably also a little worried about being out in the open still. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Give him a little time and he'll get used to it. While we joke about cats only liking the box, there's a reason why cat trees are so popular. Once he realizes it's a comfy, high-up spot, he'll likely start sitting there to watch what's going on.

My cat tree is only about three feet high, but my cats still think it's pretty nifty now. It took them a little while to get to used to it too, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

That's because good ol' Butters is not restricted to the foster room, as he is now a glorious king of the house. Moreover, the foster room simply can't contain his majesty butter.

Fixed that for you.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chili posted:

Gonna start a new weekly tradition:

Butterscotch Caption Contest: Week 1

Go!

"But... but what if the foster kittens eat all my food?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chili posted:

Sunday is here! Butterscotch caption contest time:

Quote the picture and include the caption, weehoo!

"Don't forget to recycle! I'll recycle any scraps for you. No problem. Ham, turkey, whatever. Gotta take care of the planet, you know."

EDIT: "A-are you sure it's empty? Maybe we should check again."

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 7, 2016

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chili posted:

Yes. I do have too much time on my hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmL8HDTVGo

The Hunt for Orange Octobutter.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The thought bubble was pretty cool, and I'd like to see it again. That said, I wouldn't want every Buttercaption to be that way, or we lose out on the possibility of ones like NoirButter.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cats are social animals, and when they're hurt or scared, they want to see other cats they know and trust. These cats remembered you, and when they were hurt, they remembered that you helped them before.

Unfortunately, sometimes it really is the end. Just know that at the end, they were thinking of you. You made a difference in their lives while they were alive. You're a good person, Alteisen, and the cats know.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

"What do you mean, 2016 isn't over yet?"

"Back up, there's how much dolphin in my tuna? ...Can we get more?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just congratulate my cats for being adorable and/or ferocious.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Unfortunately, neither of those pics are showing up for me. Tinypic has been pretty bad on that front.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hooray for Octopus!

She's a lovely little girl.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I know my cats like to lay on things that smell like me, but that's after they were already bonding with me. Dunno how it would work the other way around.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks, Chili. In these trying times, we could all use some Butternews.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Oh my gosh that belly.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I adopted a new girl last June after my Rocky died. She didn't start really exploring the house until September (before that, she'd stay in one room at a time). She didn't really get along with Jessie until around December/January. Progress is slow, but it's so worth it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Good luck, Alteisen.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
A little, yeah. He'll come out in his own time. It might take a while, but it'll happen when he's ready and not before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't that one of those places big on anti-vaccination too?

Unrelated to the thread, but I've been playing Phoenix Wright for the first time, and I finally know where the horror that is your avatar comes from. Context did not improve it for me.

More related, I'm currently deployed. My two cats are staying with my folks. Because one of their dogs was feral for a good while, he tends to look at cats as a source of protein. He's getting better about it, but they still can't leave him alone with a cat. Jessie and Esme are currently living in their laundry room.

Despite the cramped quarters, it seems to be doing them some good. When I left them, they weren't fighting much anymore, but they didn't like to be near each other. Now that they can't get too far away from each other, they're apparently getting along fairly well, aside from occasional scuffles over who gets to sit on which shelf (they have a lot of vertical space to play with, thankfully).

This is good, because when I picked Esme up from the shelter, she was super skittish, and Jessie absolutely hated her. Hopefully they'll forgive me for leaving them when I get back.