Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you guys are killing me here. I have a very hard time accepting animal death. I handle people death a lot better and with much more grace. I think its mainly because animals have little ulterior motives other than pain, hungry, nap and fun. I guess while it hurts to lose an animal, I couldnt ever picture myself NOT trying anymore just because while its just such a small inconsequential thing in the grand scheme, it makes such an utter difference in quality of life for something that usually has no choice in the matter and most often suffers just to sheer neglect or not being important to anyone.

Chili posted:

hosed up though it may sound, it's the truth. As is often the case for me, I found out how I felt when I was listening to a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEEXyRL0qE

Yuuuup. And honestly the loss, grief and absence just punctuates how much they mean to you.

Alteisen posted:

It seems to be you all do this because you're wonderful people, because you genuinely care and want to give these poor animals who have nobody to bat for them a good life, make sure their first steps in this world are ones full of love and care.

Doing something good doesnt require an active grasp of the long term consequences bub, you just have a lot of heart and obviously pour it into your efforts. And thanks for thinking I'm a nice guy, :3: I think i have a bit of a karmic balance and its a little way i can square up just a tiny bit.

LivesInGrey posted:

Thanks for that reminder. I don't know if I mentioned it here at all, but last week or the week before I spent the night holding and trying to stimulate a kitten who had severe heat stroke. She died the next day because the damage done was just too much. And of course there was Mars last week.

As cat_herder says, the remaining senshi babies all passed a vet check (including SNAP tests for FIV and FeLV!) aside from another round of deworming but we're still worried about Venus. At least, unlike her brother, she's gaining weight and energy. We're keeping them until they weigh two pounds and then we take a break. This kitten season has been exhausting.

You both are doing amazing. I'm sorry this time its ripping at you both so hard.

Alteisen posted:

Yea that's why I said that here, cause in a way I'm trying to help myself as well, gonna get a little personal here but I'd like to tell a story on the dangers of what can happen if you're just not in the right state of mind and think you can change things just by being there.

I dont know about anyone else but getting personal just means actual conversation about real things. and I'm all about it. Although I have a great track record of oversharing sooooo... ymmv for me its cathartic.

and you did change things by being there. you just cant control life and death.

Still a big goddamn hero though :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp looks like the kitten might have a bit of completely dead/broken tail. I suppose we should take it into the shop, doesnt seem to be a DIY type repair.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geolicious posted:

Instant manx! We had a kitty at the shelter that had to have a full tail amputation and afterwards she was a completely different kitty. Cuddly and full of purrs and wanted to be a lap cat.

eh last 2 inches or so look pretty dead. :smith: dont like chopping up kittehs.

already happy and full of purrs. little rumblething and learning how to cat from the cuddly cat :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

OK, so my house is currently devoid of fosters as I'm still healing up from my surgery.

It's a ton of work, and it can be a pain to foster sometimes, but I really miss it.

I do have some Butterpictures though!

He's holding steadfast to his title of personal guardian.

But sometimes, he falls asleep on the job.

We're pretty good at freaking out would be interlopers though.

(sorry for the selfy but I don't have much more recent stuff on hand.)

:neckbeard:

thank you

Vet apparently doesnt want to chop the tail yet.. thinks its still worth saving. (2nd hand anyways)

I suppose it would be like a limb haircut so i cant argue.

clean bill of health though, first round of boosters done.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Alirght, everyone. I need help.

What shape is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrX2S8eSNH0

meta-feline

flowy kitteh

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ElMaligno posted:

non-mewtonian fluid

:perfect:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

porkswordonboard posted:

Hi foster and rescue people! I've lurked since forever, really appreciate everything you superstars do, and now I have a question.

I live off a busy road in a semi-residential area in New England. I sometimes see cats I suspect might be strays, most recently a long haired black dude or lady. The first time I saw it I was driving along said busy road and it was on the side...not the sidewalk but in the breakdown lane. If it hadn't disappeared I would have chased it, however it wasn't an option for me to do so that day. The second time, yesterday, I was outside my apartment in the evening and (s)he approached me when I clucked, gave a few gentle headbutts and rusty meows, then tripped off into the bushes. In the minute or two I had to examine it it didn't seem unduly starved or matted, but the booty area might well have been and its coat felt somewhat dirty. Whether this was because it spent the day lying in dirt before going home or because the dirt is its home, I couldn't say. It certainly didn't have a collar, and while I looked through Craigslist and the area's lost pet service, I couldn't find a match-at least not for cats reported missing in the last 6 months or so. Either this cat is an outdoor cat with no collar, or it's homeless.

Now I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to how I should proceed. We already have two cats; our apartment is very small and it is not an option to keep it...sorry to disappoint, PI. My current plan is to take a can of cat food out whenever I sit outside to use my vaporizer, if it comes back give it to him/her to keep it in the area while I run upstairs for our cardboard cat carrier, and then try to bundle it into the box and bring it inside. Then I will sequester it in our spare room until I can bring it to the local no-kill shelter, where I used to volunteer and now keep a professional relationship with. I intend to bring some food and cash with me when (if, really) I drop it off as a thank-you for everything they do.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up flea treatments to keep in the house from now on, because if the cat (or any others I might find) is truly homeless it likely has fleas. I will not be treating the cat with Advantage/etc, however-if it turns out it's a pet and had already been treated, I don't want to poison the poor thing. Just an all-natural spray, and once it's at the shelter, bombing the poo poo out of the room. I've had fleas before and know how to deal with them.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings. And I'm only assuming it was the same cat both times!

Pictures promised if I run into the little buddy again. It's a pretty cat-long black hair and a tiny white star on the chest :3:

Always be rescuing i guess.. but i am an absolutely horrible example. it sounds good though. and its sounds like you have a big heart which is :3:

good on you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
That is a quality fuzzball right there. Strays and runts are the best.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not my thread, but helping animals in distress is definitely the spirit here

:same:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the live animal "humane" traps for like raccoons and opossums are going to be the bet here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Havahart...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

something like that. see if your shelter will help you out.

Think they make an xtra small as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I want a giant rear end cat :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

I want to know more about rear end cats

..... I dont want a cat around the house i admire the rear end of.. that would be weird.

"rear end" would be an exponential notation of the "giant" in this case.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frog::respek::unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smith:

there is a special place for people who abandon animals.

preferably somewhere off the freeway in a FL swamp.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kitten update.

it has learned to drift on the laminate flooring. its both :3: and :iia:

will attempt to get video, but the little fucker basically does zoom bys now and will only chill or cuddle with you if you are doing something or on the computer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i want a dirigible catte :/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

Sylvester's gone, he seemed to be perking up and went to bed after a good meal but when I went to check on him he was gone.

I guess his body had just taken to much abuse. :smith:

Feel like poo poo, I know I did everything but goddammit.

you are a super good person.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:3:

I bought a cat tree. i underestimated its size its is quite large. I may have made a mistake but it is too late now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1C8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one because i figured it was a decent deal and cattegoons seem to like this manufacturer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pollyanna posted:

Does removing part of the tail cause pain for the cat? I feel like cutting up the nerves would result in chronic pain issues.

fortunately the kittens tail is good and all nice and fluffy now

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe you can make him a girdle or something.

he can be like a proper starship captain that way!

:shrug: Id chip in.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:catbert: I dont think butters has alcoholichands.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have the resources all the cats is also a good number.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cat_herder posted:

Soraya is beautiful, and well named!

Got through fostering two girls recently, got a newborn preemie that some awful hoarder brought in, kept him alive for five days until last night. RIP Rio, I bonded to you on accident and now I'm heartbroken.

This kitten season is absolutely brutal.

jesus. I'm sorry :smithfrog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Squidtentacle posted:

Really hoping for the best for those of you with foster struggles.

Chili wanted me to share more about our own rescue, a little orange tabby named Geki. We found her about six weeks ago now on the way home from tabletop, just hiding in the grass on the side of a farmland road in the middle of the night, nobody anywhere near her. These are all pictures of her in the last couple of days, where she's grown a lot by now; she was just a little nugget then, not even bigger than my hands.

She was really spooked, but we got her bundled up in a sweater and she fell asleep almost immediately for the entire rest of the ride home. Right away, she knew how to use the litter and gobbled down both wet and dry food. A quick visit to the vet showed that she just had a little weepiness in her eye and some ear mites, and a follow-up showed some normal kitten worms that a few days of medicine took care of. She can't have been outside for long, and considering how good she was already with litter and food, someone must've had her and just left her in the middle of the night.

Now, though, she's doing great. Runs all over the place, then falls asleep, then gives our older cat hell, then sleeps some more, then bites everything. She loves playing, and she's already turning into a really pretty girl. Haven't had any further health problems so far, but she'll be getting some shots today since she'll be at least nine weeks (we think) by now.

:neckbeard:

that is a good orange catte

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZoeDomingo posted:

As promised, I return with pictures of my cats...

all three of them.

Yes, three. My friends came with me to the pet store (which was showing cats from the county's animal services) to help me, and these three siblings were all so cute I was having trouble picking just two.
And then the shelter volunteers told me the cats were FREE today.

And I asked my friends, and one said "Well I'm just going to enable you and tell you to get all three."

So I gave in.

Meet George,

Henry,

and Emily.

Sorry the pics are kind of bad. I haven't been able to get good pictures of them yet: they're too wiggly! I'll work on it. Emily was a little shy at first, but she's gotten settled in nicely and cuddled with me in my chair for quite a while earlier. The two boys are funny. Right now they're watching TV. :)

They're a little over 3 months old, have been spayed and/or neutered, have all their shots (except rabies, which I have to get within the next month) and are microchipped. They're all very friendly and playing, and cuddly when they want to be.

So it wasn't the two cats of at least a year old that I had planned on, but they seem pretty chill and seem to like me, so I think it will be okay.

Wish me luck, folks.

Your enabling friend is a drat hero and you are now 1/3rd of the way to being a crazy cat person. Congrats!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZoeDomingo posted:

These kittens are adorable.

However.

I'm really stressed out. They keep clawing at my legs and pulling my hair. One of them leaped up me earlier, clawing small bloody holes all over my torso. I'm saying "No!" very firmly, and sometimes following up with a clap. It seems to startle all the kittens except the one who's doing the thing I'm trying to stop.

Also, they knocked down the curtains in "their" room today, and I'm scared they're going to get hurt somehow. I had a friend with me when I brought them home Sunday, and she looked around the room and said it looked pretty kitten-proof. Obviously, we were wrong.

I really like them, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know it's only been a few days, and everyone tells me (and everything I've read online says) that it's normal to feel this way. But I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job.

Does anyone have any advice or can point me somewhere I can learn more about how to deal with them? I feel like a failure. :(

enhance your calm friend. You are just overwhelmed because its new.

Kittens are sharp and pokey. not a lot of getting around this at first (long sleeves and pants, or just rock the scars with pride until your whole arms are gloriously calloused) especially since they themselves have little to no claw control at first and have new surroundings people and everything.... things are gonna be absolute chaos at first until they figure out their little hierarchy and where you fit into it.

kittens will climb curtains (andd really anything they can at first) and will leap headfirst into certain doom because they are dumb as poo poo.

you are doing fine, its just new for everyone concerned.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

porkswordonboard posted:

Is it possible for you to trim their claws? Those needles are drat sharp. Getting them used to having their nails done would actually be a huge bonus for their owners in the future. If you don't know how, there are a lot of good youtube videos, but honestly all you really need to do is burrito them up in a towel and pull one paw out at a time. DO NOT use people nail trimmers; they will crush the nail. Cat/dog ones are super affordable.

Do they have anything in the room they're ALLOWED to claw at? They definitely need a scratching outlet.

these are good points.

its good to get them used to having their paws handled and their claws popped out, makes it a lot easier for the future person who does the nails (or you)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
literally all you need are these

less than five bucks like at anyplace. they dont need deluxe massaging handles or anything.

just take the sharp pointy tips off the nails for now, youll get a good idea further as you get some practice, make sure the paw is still when you cut and cut clean and quick.

youll be fine its easy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright I have a stable income stream and I want to get an animal from a rescue (since this is a rescue thread I think). Is there any kind of things I should be looking for when I'm going through the rescue process? There seems to be a ton of resources available, but part of my brain is going "I go and I get kitty/puppy and they're immediately happy with no problems at all". That might be the case but very likely it won't be.

uhm as far as rescues go, i have noticed most tend to be breed specific unless you run into the odd one that doesnt care about breeds or species or whatever. If you go with a specific breed rescue, learn something about the specific breed and pick the breed according to your activity patterns, lifestyle, exercise level and the amount of space they require (especially in the case of larger dogs) and whether its a good fit for your family/roommates as well as your living situation.

cats are (no offence my lovely cat people) pretty easy in most cases (except litter boxes are gross and stuff) they are pretty self reliant when it comes to eating and drinking and sleeping and may want pets or plays depending on age and temperament. kittens are a bit more work as recent posts will illustrate, but this too passes and then you have a nice catte.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Im just gonna say that this is the best thread :unsmith: since there isnt an :unsmithfrog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are doing real good. :3: do the thing.

my heart is with you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thin Privilege posted:

Granted mine aren't fosters (but I got one from a super shady pet store so I technically rescued her) but at night, one sleeps on my head, one cuddles up in my arms, and the other, after playing the elusive foot under blanket game sleeps between my legs. It's the best thing ever and makes me so happy :3:

not gonna lie, sometimes :ssh: i dont mind the 3am foot game

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Also, I'm shooting to update the OP into something a little more robust/relevant/purposeful now that this thread is accommodating spontaneous rescuers as well.

If you'd like to be added to the OP as foster/rescue parent, let me know. I already got you katka.

Oh and if there are any other suggestions for the op, go ahead and suggest away. This thread typifies a team effort.

you should put your last "itteh bitteh kitteh" facts in the op especially #5

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Well done katka, have a cross post from the cute thread:

This actually raises a question, however. A reunion seems possible. As much as I am tempted to have that happen, I'm worried that the whole thing would be heartbreaking. Since they were clearly bonded, I'm guessing they'd really like to see each other again. But, the thought of them getting to see each other, and then splitting them up again seems really bad to me and I'm worried it would be exclusively self-serving in the long run. There's no way any sort of exchange would be considered, he's our cat now and we can't take on a third, just not possible.

His old owner hasn't asked for any kind of reunion, it's just something I've been thinking about. I can't decide if it's something worth pursuing. My wife seems to like the idea but I'm just not sure.

Since this isn't the cute thread, I'm hoping any opinions may go a bit further than WE WANT THAT VIDEO. Help?

think you might be right. You are just a big ol softie though. It would be adorable and all but even the idea of even MAYBE making fatty catty upset would throw me off of the idea myself.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ofecks posted:

You know what you must do. Steal the Precious. Enjoy your Butterpiles :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZenVulgarity posted:

This was all good advice. Me and my girlfriend and friend are all looking into what will set off the least allergies now as well as scheduling, etc. It's definitely not as simple as I thought!

glad you are spending time thinking instead of being dumb and impulsive about it. that's a great attitude.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

katka posted:

It is now!

Sorry I'm super late with this update but we've been busy. Anyhow so far little Farrah seems to be doing well. We got a scale and she is starting to put weight on quicker now and she has started to eat even more then she already was. It's a lot of work taking care of her, but its worth it!

thats a good lookin little squeaker you got there

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kitten thinks its a dog halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

Well technically his name is Tiberius as in James T Kirk, but we shortened it to Tibi :v:

better teach that cat the double fist overhead chop