Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How long has it been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

Good News:

Django and Jazzy were returned after a succesful stay!

Better News:

MOAR KITTEHS

6 two week old kittens and one very good, very responsible, mama cat.

Check em out!

Pictures hardly do these little buggers justice though, so we filmed an unboxing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI_iqzdCVOY

I feel like the mother had it off with a particularly fluffy tomcat for some of these.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, at least now you know how to get him to exercise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dad was the one that took our runt kitty (who was probably too young, really) out of the cage at the shelter, and whenever she got out of hand or panicked we'd put her on his lap to calm her down. She grew up being a cranky, dominant, demanding old lady (awesome cat, but she was a personality) who didn't like being picked up and very much interacted with people on her own terms, but she'd melt at the sight of him and just happily sit in his arms and headbutt him all day and would refuse to go to her bed at night unless she'd spent some time on his lap - she'd hop up to the sofa and basically demand he sit for lap time. Even though he spent most of the day at work and it was the rest of us that fed her and looked after her.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 19, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good grief.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I blame five thousand years of positive evolutionary pressure on how adorable kittens look.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpannerX posted:

This talk is very timely, FDJ and LAPS both lost kittens today, two for FDJ, and one for laps. :(

Oh goddamn. FDJ was prepping for losing one, with how fragile Ladybug was, but two on the same day... :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Squidtentacle posted:

Runs all over the place, then falls asleep, then gives our older cat hell, then sleeps some more, then bites everything.

Sounds like you got yerself some sorta kitten there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If there's a shelter or something nearby that runs a foster program taking care of litters it might be best if they can place her with a nursing mother for a month or two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Interesting.

Also, must have been a very pale tom with those mostly white kittens and the tabby mom.

You'd be surprised how dark they'll be when they grow up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I probably would. :) I don't have much experience with kittens, all of my family's cats were at least cat-teenagers when we adopted them because my parents wanted an idea of their adult personalities.

Well, to grab a favourite from the Critter Room, here's Trillian the beige kitten:

That said, it varies a lot between cats. Some'll darken, some'll stay the same. Siam-style points are the most extreme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish Misty had been that neat with her food, instead she'd try to pick up bits of meat with her paw so she could nibble at it human-style, lose control of it, and then somehow fling it across the room and leave it there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

Happy Sunday everybody!

Sweet dreams, Butters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yep, oranges are almost always boys.

That's more with totally orange cats, it's a lot easier to get an orange-and-white girl.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 28, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

photinus posted:

There's no particular reason why that would be the case - in cats, the white-spotting gene isn't sex-linked, while the orange gene is sex-linked. White spotting is incredibly common in non-pedigree cats, so it's just vastly more likely that any given cat would have white patches than not. "Buff" is either the dilute version of orange (or the not-very-red colour you often see in non-pedigree cats), so it's still a sex-linked colour.

Basically, if there's a 20% chance that the gene on the X chromosome codes for the orange phenotype, then males have a 20% chance of being orange because they only have one X chromosome... but females would only have a 4% chance of being orange because both their X chromosomes would need to code for the orange phenotype (if they have two genes for the black phenotype, then they'd be black; if they have one black and one orange, they'd be tortoiseshell). Given those figures, only about one in six ginger cats will be female.

I meant it's a lot easier to get an orange-and-white girl than an orange girl, not that orange-and-white is more common in girls than boys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like those two are named the wrong way around, expression-wise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

We're getting there:

Well, on the upside, we finally found a buttery expression that isn't deep sadness! HATRED.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Speaking of longtimers, Cynthia says hi.

Aww, I miss having a cat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

That is a drat wise little girl to agree with her mom that a kitten's not right for them. Kittens are adorable and horrible assholes in equal measure, in my experience.

We got a somewhat neurotic kitten (runt, abandoned, etc) that did a pretty good job of teaching me to calm the gently caress down and respect her space as a hyper seven year old so I could pat her.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 30, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr Sterling is amazing and I want him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chili posted:

You know who's less than thrilled about this derail?

Skinny butters is so weird

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BERK! FEED ME!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I keep trying to take some, but getting pics of them is hard! They move around SO MUCH! Most of the photos I take, they’re either out of frame or blurry or both.

It's all about Burst Mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy hell that is lethally cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

So it turns out that Kenan is a GIRL

I think I’m gonna keep the name

The endless dilemma of bird owners. It took my cousin a few years before they learned that Katniss the cockatiel was a boy.