Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So.

Butterscotch was supposed to be dead two years ago.

He isn't.

He's very much alive and is showing no interest in death whatsoever.

He's in perfect health and spends most of his time doing what you'd expect:

Though with the arrival of mini chili two, lap real estate has yet again become more hotly contested.

But, he's persistent!

Still knows how to ask for what he wants:

And occasionally, he'll exert himself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
You guys don't even know. This cat has put me through such hell over the past month.

Everything is fine, and I'll have pictures later, but jfc this cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty, so forgive the delay on this but I wanted to make sure things were stable before I posted.

A few weeks ago I went to give Butters his dinner and his meds and he didn't come sprinting at me so I got worried. Couldn't find him anywhere in the house.

A door was left open and he had gotten out. This had happened once before and I found him hiding under a lip in the house.

No such luck.

What followed was a horrible few days and nights of me wandering around without any sleep, shaking cat food in a tin and trying, fruitlessly, to find Butterscotch. It was a totally lovely way to spend a few days, lemme tell you.

After day 3, I kinda gave up hope. No food, no meds, and it was pouring like crazy.

I emotionally said goodbye to Butterscotch.

So sure enough, the next morning I get a message on facebook (which I made an account for just because of this horrible cat getting lost) from my next-door neighbor that Butterscotch is meowing and scratching at her backdoor.

I sprinted over and he looked at me with the guiltiest god drat expression I've ever seen. He so very clearly was just ready to live with this new person instead of coming back home and facing my disappointment.

Anyhow, it had been storming the night before and somehow his coat was immaculate, he had lost a couple of pounds, and looked utterly perfect after grooming. Took him to the vet and the vet was blown away by how healthy this cat (who was supposed to be about a year ago by now due to congestive heart failure) seemed to be.

So that's Butterscotch. I have a four-year-old, a four-month-old and 14-year-old cat. He is absolutely the biggest pain in the rear end out of the three. But at least he's a looker.

This was me 2 minutes after I recovered him.

That pile of fur is from just one side of him.

Well check at the vet

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

smilingfish posted:

Guys, there hasn't been a Butters post in a long time. I'm starting to get worried. :ohdear:

My own Butters impersonator for content:

You never have to worry. If something major happens, I'll let y'all know. He's doing just fine.

Feel free to ask for updates though. I'll do a photo dump post tonight after work.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
butterduuuuump

Our big boy is still buttering around.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah you got it. I've been going through an absolute swamp of poo poo myself, but butters is still kicking. I'll dump some tonight

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
He's doing great, my life has just been a bit of a dumpster fire. I'll get some pics up soon.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Helping teach my daughter to read

https://youtu.be/wLh_w0HiwiU?feature=shared

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alright everyone, making the post I never wanted to make.

I just buried Butterscotch.

Over the past week he had lost a lot of interest in his food and seemed to be slowing down. This morning he woke up unable to support his weight and was clearly distressed. I knew it was time.

Got him taken care of at an immensely sweet veterinary practice. Everything was peaceful and caring. I buried him in the woods behind my house.

I cannot be more grateful for the cat that he was for me and my kids. I've gone through a lot of personal hardship over this past year but Butterscotch was always there for me and my children. He was ceaselessly patient with my two year old who was always looking for cuddles and he helped teach my daughter responsibility as her first household chore was feeding him and changing his water.

There were a lot of times over this past year where it was just me and him in my home together and having him here was grounding and comforting.

He was a tremendously good boy, and I'll never forget him.