Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bd pads are too small for my ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cheap phones are good for cheap music, which is all we have today.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good thing I only listen to music from like 40
years ago

I have some sennys. nice sound but the cable is thin and is poo poo and waaaay too long

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i have come to you all today to talk to you about the free loseless audio codec

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
its good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

There are some $20 Sony headphones that are real good. If you pay $30 you can get them with a 4-pin and they'll work with your phone.

yeah these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110-Stereo-Headphones-Black/dp/B00NJ2M33I

yeah i have the white MDR ZX100 which are probably the older model and they are extremely sufficient

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
after trying and returning like 5 different 'pos recommended headphones because they weren't comfortable I finally tried the wireless Beats ones and they're comfy, sound good to me, and noise cancellation owns on a plane.

my advice is as long as they're comfortable everything else is secondary.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

reading headphone reviews (or really any audio equipment i guess) is loving awful. it is the most subjective crap imaginable and it is ultimately impossible to tell if the $200 pair is really any better than the $80 pair because they both get 5/5 stars on every review and are described with meaningless audiophile drivel (natural highs but with boxy lower-mids that produces a fatiguing flglglllbbblblbl)

would be nice to find a store with a good headphone selection to try poo poo out for myself but lol retail is dead

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

SO DEMANDING posted:

reading headphone reviews (or really any audio equipment i guess) is loving awful. it is the most subjective crap imaginable and it is ultimately impossible to tell if the $200 pair is really any better than the $80 pair because they both get 5/5 stars on every review and are described with meaningless audiophile drivel (natural highs but with boxy lower-mids that produces a fatiguing flglglllbbblblbl)

would be nice to find a store with a good headphone selection to try poo poo out for myself but lol retail is dead

soundstage. frequency response. break-in. sound signature. sub bass.

that all said, the sony MDR-7506 headphones are a very good and inexpensive choice (~$80), although you'll have to deal with a big, unwieldy, non-detatchable cable. the audio technica ath-m50x sound a bit better to me, but the box comes with three types of (proprietary lol) cables.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hello gentlemen ive used sony MDR-7506 for the past 10 years. A++++

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

flakeloaf posted:

if it says sennheiser on it you're probably doing something right

i love my hd 471s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually you can tell if your headphones are good becaue they require batteries

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

cheap phones are good for cheap music, which is all we have today.

you dont stream tidal high fidelity from you're pono?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
grados if you're sad and alone or will be wearing them in a location where you won't be bothering anyone because they're open and just barf sound everywhere. 60 or 80's are safe enough for an online purchase, anything higher up the line you will need to wear and judge for comfort before buying (my 325's are only usable if you spend another $50 to upgrade the cups, which is stupid for a $300 set of headphones)

if you already have a good set of headphones, your upgrade should be a headphone amplifier, not another pair of headphones

whatever you do, don't buy beats

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oval office AND PASTE posted:

grados if you're sad and alone or will be wearing them in a location where you won't be bothering anyone because they're open and just barf sound everywhere. 60 or 80's are safe enough for an online purchase, anything higher up the line you will need to wear and judge for comfort before buying (my 325's are only usable if you spend another $50 to upgrade the cups, which is stupid for a $300 set of headphones)

if you already have a good set of headphones, your upgrade should be a headphone amplifier, not another pair of headphones

whatever you do, don't buy beats

I almost called the police when I started reading this post

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pram posted:

hello gentlemen ive used sony MDR-7506 for the past 10 years. A++++

I use the MDR-ZX100s at home and they are extremely needs-suiting.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

i have these but without the x so i guess probably just an older version or something can confirm they own although my pleather pads have turned extremely to poo poo and i had to replace the 1/8" jack

yeah I'm on my second pair because my stubble chewed the pads up pretty bad and I eventually killed the jack as well but they sound so drat good for the price I bought them again

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i bought some sennheiser hd 558s

thanks all

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I bought the grados sr-80s or whatever they really hurt my head. maybe I got a weird shaped head idunno

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

I almost called the police when I started reading this post

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah I'm on my second pair because my stubble chewed the pads up pretty bad and I eventually killed the jack as well but they sound so drat good for the price I bought them again

it's cheap and easy to replace the lovely jack if you or a friend is at all handy sith a soldering iron. Apparently replacement pads are a thing but so far I'm just embracing the hideous decrepit mess the original pads have turned into

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Necronomoticon posted:

you'll have to deal with a big, unwieldy, non-detatchable cable

do what i did and solder a jack in the hole the cable goes through and presto chango no problemo

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

akadajet posted:

bose quiet comfort noise canceling (i'm being serious they own)

p sure those are the ones i have and yea, they own
cost a bit, so just get ur boss to buy em for ya if ur at the lower end of the six figgies

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Good choice m8

Since he already bought a pair this is now headphone discussion central.

I just retired my 15 year old HD280s rather than buy $60 worth of new parts to restore them to pristine condition (though I think it's really fuckinn rad that replacement parts are an option for lots of sennheisers)

I bought a new pair of HD380s instead and gawd drat. They're super nice and more comfortable. A+ would damage my hearing again

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i have a pair of those cheap Sony headphones someone linked earlier at work and lemme tell ya, they're poo poo. at home I've got a pair of athm50's which I really like. but for home use you might as well get some open ones, like a pair of sennheisers or whatever. headphones are cool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thinkin about bringin the big audio technica cans to work. klipschd iems sound fine and all but don't clearly telegraph a "do not talk to me" signal to coworkers apparently. are cans more successful at getting people to not interrupt or distract you?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Bloody posted:

thinkin about bringin the big audio technica cans to work. klipschd iems sound fine and all but don't clearly telegraph a "do not talk to me" signal to coworkers apparently. are cans more successful at getting people to not interrupt or distract you?

i think an Oculus would b even better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

could nap in one of those pretty easily too i imagine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Bloody posted:

it's cheap and easy to replace the lovely jack if you or a friend is at all handy sith a soldering iron. Apparently replacement pads are a thing but so far I'm just embracing the hideous decrepit mess the original pads have turned into

I've replaced the pads on my Sony mdrs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
bunch of headphone janitors itt

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yospos listening party 2016

sennheiser orpheus was in the shop so we had to make do with these jecklin floats

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the panasonic TCM125 are good enough and are cheap enough to replace when you accidentally leave them in your jeans during a laundry cycle

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

yospos listening party 2016

sennheiser orpheus was in the shop so we had to make do with these jecklin floats

lmfao wat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

funy hedphon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SO DEMANDING posted:

jecklin floats

i thought this was a weird slang term and not the literal name for the thing you posted

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

last year's listening party was great! we had enough akg k1000s to go around!

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

SO DEMANDING posted:

last year's listening party was great! we had enough akg k1000s to go around!

you may have been a victim of headphone counterfeiting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what source are you using?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

AKG K240s and replace the earpads with beyerdynamic ones. congrats, you just got the best pair of headphones under $500 for less than $100

aye i've had my pair of akg k240s for a long time. beat to poo poo but still serviceable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread