Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

changing my answer to these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

qirex posted:

what source are you using?
i don't want a fleshier midrange

only the fleshiest of midranges for my discerning cochleae

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i have a pair of sennheiser hd600 with ~custom cables~ and a meier-audio corda something amplifier from the early 2000s. it's been sitting in a box for over 5 years, after I moved to a house there was no need for headphones anymore.

all I use now is a set of koss porta pro when I'm out running.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am wearing my ATH-a700s at work in an attempt to make people not talk to me and i feel a bit like a weirdo nerd but also i know they're all gonna talk to me ugh

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

instead of headphones i would suggest getting a private office

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bloody posted:

i am wearing my ATH-a700s at work in an attempt to make people not talk to me and i feel a bit like a weirdo nerd but also i know they're all gonna talk to me ugh
the YOSPOS experience

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

just buy sony mdrs, cost less than 100 and are p much the standard headphones in studios

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if they made the sony v6/v7506 with an iphone remote [or at least a replaceable cable] they'd be the perfect cheap headphones

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

power botton posted:

instead of headphones i would suggest getting a private office

still doesnt get past the awkwardness of explaining the screams of "WHITE POWER ONE TWO THREE FOUR" when someone walks by

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

still doesnt get past the awkwardness of explaining the screams of "WHITE POWER ONE TWO THREE FOUR" when someone walks by

just climb out the window to avoid any awkward confrontation

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

it's cheap and easy to replace the lovely jack if you or a friend is at all handy sith a soldering iron. Apparently replacement pads are a thing but so far I'm just embracing the hideous decrepit mess the original pads have turned into

I tried turning replacing the jack into fully rewiring the whole thing and I hosed something up so I just got a new pair, lesson learned for next time.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

thinkin about bringin the big audio technica cans to work. klipschd iems sound fine and all but don't clearly telegraph a "do not talk to me" signal to coworkers apparently. are cans more successful at getting people to not interrupt or distract you?

That's where I use mine and it's great

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SO DEMANDING posted:

yospos listening party 2016

sennheiser orpheus was in the shop so we had to make do with these jecklin floats

my autistic little cousin lives for headphones and poo poo and we always joke about jecklin floats

he's a good kid :unsmith:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

changing my answer to these

don't post smythe's loadout

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have an 8 year old pair of ATH-A500s still going strong. Replaced the jack on it twice due to my own clumsiness. P easy to do if you can solder. I called the parts department and spoke with a man there who shipped me a new pair of pads for something super cheap like $8 shipped. He was like "oh we don't normally ship to canada but i'll drop it off at the post office on my way home today". He was a cool guy. Audio Technica rules

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

aren't you like 6'4? just suck it up and mean mug those beta nerdlings into fearing you

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

6'6" actually but I tend to overcompensate into niceness to scare people less

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yeah same tbh :kiddo:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

FopeDush posted:

I just retired my 15 year old HD280s rather than buy $60 worth of new parts to restore them to pristine condition (though I think it's really fuckinn rad that replacement parts are an option for lots of sennheisers)
i just upgraded all of the squished foam on my 15 year old HD580s and they still own own own. thinking about maybe picking up some HD280s or something for traveling - sounds like they're pretty good?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
M O N O P R I C E

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
typin' on a monoprice keyboard, poo poo's legit

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The Leck posted:

they're pretty good?

correct

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

its still the hd598, op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

PuTTY riot posted:

just climb out the window to avoid any awkward confrontation

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I tried turning replacing the jack into fully rewiring the whole thing and I hosed something up so I just got a new pair, lesson learned for next time.

I hope the lesson you learned is to not be a loving headphone janitor.

seriously, wtf is wrong with you people.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
if you cannot solder a 3.5mm jack into a headphone without breaking something or lighting a fire or w/e then maybe you would feel more comfortable in a forum for a clown college where you would fit in with all the other clowns

burning swine
May 26, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

if you cannot solder a 3.5mm jack into a headphone without breaking something or lighting a fire or w/e then maybe you would feel more comfortable in a forum for a clown college where you would fit in with all the other clowns

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angry_keebler posted:

to be fair, headphone wiring with that stupid laquer insulation and plastic strands in with the copper is kinda maddening to deal with. but if youre rewiring the whole thing you can just replace it with real wire i guess

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Raluek posted:

you can just replace it with real wire i guess

cat5 is 22-24 gauge which works fine and it comes in plenty of colors to make wiring a jack easy peasy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Raluek posted:

to be fair, headphone wiring with that stupid laquer insulation and plastic strands in with the copper is kinda maddening to deal with. but if youre rewiring the whole thing you can just replace it with real wire i guess

magnet wire. its kind of annoying but your iron should melt it off nbd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no he's talking about that tinsel wire that headphone cables are made of. Best i've found is to make a short splice pigtail with a piece of awg 24 solid and then lightly solder that. then you have a wire end suitable for retermination

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I hope the lesson you learned is to not be a loving headphone janitor.

seriously, wtf is wrong with you people.

I was making like $12k/year at the time and couldn't afford to replace them :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

angry_keebler posted:

no i was replacing the whole cord but once i got inside i realized the drivers had come unmounted and were all hosed up and it was basically a lost cause

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
today I mowed the lawns and used some legit Apple oldschool iPod buds and iPod nano the square watch looking which has on it

pink floyd
tame impala
ozark bass attack by 290

under earmuffs it was glorious I love mowing th lawns in the morning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

angry_keebler posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the lead akg product manager sits like 10 feet from me so i can borrow p much any akgs i want to use at work. i usually use the k555

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

today I mowed the lawns and used some legit Apple oldschool iPod buds and iPod nano the square watch looking which has on it

pink floyd
tame impala
ozark bass attack by 290

under earmuffs it was glorious I love mowing th lawns in the morning

i have fancy active electronic earmuffs with microphones (for external speech) and a 3.5mm input but EarPods under normal dumb ear defenders are still the best

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

crap nerd posted:

just buy sony mdrs, cost less than 100 and are p much the standard headphones in studios

thats a strange way to spell akg k271

(do not get akg k271s for anything besides studio use; they are terrible for listening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Breakfast All Day posted:

thats a strange way to spell akg k271

(do not get akg k271s for anything besides studio use; they are terrible for listening)

eh they're -ok- for that purpose. casual listening with studio cans is still less painful than mixing with consumer poo poo (ie triangulating between garbage sources with each respective poo poo's bias kept in mind)

• Locked thread