Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Bloody posted:

"my office/lab" isnt the same as "in public" tho

that's fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Power Ambient posted:

IEMs are the true way because people who wear big headphones in public look like dinguses

complete truth, but is it dinguses or dinges?

i'm proud to say i'm still using ie6

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flakeloaf posted:

the plural of "sphinx" is "sphinges"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

dingii

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
that would be the plural for "dingius"

dingus

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
dinguu then

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

yard salad posted:

my bose QC20s' right channel went out so i'm back to my ancient senn HD280's
bose will usually let you trade in busted pairs for a surprisingly large credit toward a new set. i found a broken pair of qc15s in my garage that were like 10 years old, gave them to my coworker, and i think he got a new set of the $300 qc25s for like a hundred bucks

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

bose will usually let you trade in busted pairs for a surprisingly large credit toward a new set. i found a broken pair of qc15s in my garage that were like 10 years old, gave them to my coworker, and i think he got a new set of the $300 qc25s for like a hundred bucks

had a similar exp re: a pair of old 501 series IIs i was gifted and they offered me brand new ones in exchange of shipping old back and like $200 bucks same thing... didnt though

still happy with my Bose™ Acoustimass 3™ Series V that i have in my kitchen rn.

p. dope.

bose haters can exit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
901s are good speakers.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the qc15/25/whatever they are now are the best noise cancelling headphones on the market and the only thing that helps me to remotely sleep on transatlantic flights

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bose has some patents on their noise cancelling stuff so nobody else can do it as well as them right now

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm glad of it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no highs no lows it must be bose

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha
i had a pair of DT 990s until the cable failed because whoever designed the things apparently didn't intend for them to be used at all. in trying to fix the cable i hosed up and punched a hole in the driver, so now they're on a shelf while the beyerdynamic us office sits on their hands and ignores my increasingly desperate emails for help sourcing a new driver

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

sometimes the universe drops an upgrad on ya

the lifeless thin sound of HD280.

i guess it's better than an ear infection from shoving in gross dirty buds

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

triple sulk posted:

the qc15/25/whatever they are now are the best noise cancelling headphones on the market and the only thing that helps me to remotely sleep on transatlantic flights

noise cancelling headphones are a loving godsend on airplanes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

buy other sound equipment

seriously though there's nothing wrong with bose besides the price and a bit of audiophile fooferaw, their stuff is good and their noise cancelling stuff is very good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i tried noise cancelling headphones at work, but they wound up being counter-productive -- people could sneak up on me without even trying, and when people were trying to get my attention, i wouldn't hear them

also, open-air headphones feel less weird around my ears :shrug:

lifehack for people who don't want to spend money on noise-cancelling headphones: i knew a guy who went to home depot and bought those ear protectors that people use when mowing lawns, then wore them over his earbuds

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sniep posted:

901s are good speakers.

source your quotes

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I got a set of JH Audio IEMs for work that are great because 1. they sound good and 2. they're comfortable because they're built from moulds taken of your own ears and 3. they block out a SHITLOAD of external noise

highly unrecommended for walking down the street however

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

noise cancelling headphones are a loving godsend on airplanes.
And in my lab at work

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

im going to try that because i really miss them. they don't block out all the office noises, but enough so that i can hear myself think at least.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

akadajet posted:

the lifeless thin sound of HD280.

i guess it's better than an ear infection from shoving in gross dirty buds

it's true. they are only marginally better than the earbuds i found in a box in my closet, even through a headphone amp.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

bose: for people who value not hearing things

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DOG AT THE DOOR posted:

in trying to fix the cable i hosed up and punched a hole in the driver,

lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bloody posted:

They can afford to give you a big credit because bose stuff is massively overpriced garbage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jre posted:

They can afford to give you a big credit because bose stuff is massively overpriced garbage.
neat. i never said they're amazing headphones

i just get free ones through work and the noise-cancelling works really well :)

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

neat. i never said they're amazing headphones

i just get free ones through work and the noise-cancelling works really well :)

Rename forum to YHPOS

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you don't buy bose headphones for the audio quality. that's what you buy beats for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have bose "style" speakers in the lounge, as in they are not big. they are avg by themselves but with a subwoofer they are pretty drat decent overall. everyone thats ever heard it has been more or less impressed

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
is this the thread where we can post whatever random junk we want about music

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
sure why not. do any of you guys use bluetooth speakers at home or the office and what do you use/how do you like it

i have the now discontinued pioneer a4 airplay speaker, which got a bunch of praise for being designed by ~andrew jones~ some audiophile jerkoff. turns out the bass is so overpowering and muffled/horrible it sounds like poo poo. I had to stuff some tea cloths in the back bass port to make it more tolerable. the airplay always disconnects even though our wifi router is just in the next room over. it's poo poo.

audioengine has a new bluetooth speaker out called the b2 and it looks (and probably sounds) amazing.

but $400 CAD :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

audioengine has a new bluetooth speaker out called the b2 and it looks (and probably sounds) amazing.

but $400 CAD :negative:
I don't have the b2 but I do have the A5+ and A2+ and AirPlay to them and they are both very nice.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

I don't have the b2 but I do have the A5+ and A2+ and AirPlay to them and they are both very nice.

I have the A2 (not plus version) and they are very nice yeah.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i have a harmon-kardon UFO-looking thing. it works ok when i remember i have it, but honestly playing audio from my phone suits my needs most of the time

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

these are good headphones

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

the airplay always disconnects even though our wifi router is just in the next room over. it's poo poo.

airplay to my ATV3 is poo poo, it always disconnects. It used to be very good but with each ATV update it got worse and worse.

i installed some airplay app onto my FireTV and it works flawlessly all the time.

how badly do you have to gently caress up that your native implementation is pisstrash garbage but it works on loving android

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like you'll need to wait until the atv4 comes out because clearly your atv3 is too old and slow to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

airplay to my ATV3 is poo poo, it always disconnects. It used to be very good but with each ATV update it got worse and worse.

i installed some airplay app onto my FireTV and it works flawlessly all the time.

how badly do you have to gently caress up that your native implementation is pisstrash garbage but it works on loving android

Yeah i have tons of issues with audio with apple's apps but poo poo like plex will play 1080p video without a hitch

• Locked thread