Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is this?
A let's play of Bioshock, a first-person shooter from 2007. It's not an FPS in the typical sense and instead focuses primarily on theme, plot, and setting. I've posted the menu cinematic (without commentary) below, but in brief the story is set in an underwater city somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean in the 1960s. Andrew Ryan, an industrial magnate and objectivist, grew tired of both communism and capitalism. Deciding he would never be free of either on land he created the underwater city of Rapture on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. In his own words he created "Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, where the great would not be constrained by the small!". The game opens with Jack, the player character, surviving a plane crash at sea near a lighthouse. Entering the lighthouse Jack finds it leads downwards and descends to Rapture and our game begins...

What makes this LP different?
I'll be playing the game on the highest difficulty, Survivor. If an enemy on Normal mode has 100% health then that same enemy on Survivor mode has 240% health. Enemies simply being bullet sponges would be bad enough but Survivor mode also gives enemies vastly improved accuracy, agility, and ability to deal damage. Survivor mode enemies deal 150% the damage their Normal mode counter parts deal. Certain upgrades and items are also more expensive on Survivor mode. Finally restorative items are less effective and loot is much rarer. The other difference in this LP is having Vita Chambers disabled. For the uninitiated Vita Chambers are small chambers scattered around every map. Jack respawns in one whenever an enemy kills him. Having Vita Chambers disabled means dying leads to a game over and reloading your last save, adding a new layer of difficulty to the game. I will also be aiming for a completionist playthrough though some items might not be obtainable due to the finite amount of upgrade resources on Survivor.

Spoilers
I don't mind people discussing things still to come in this game (gameplay or story) or the other games in the series provided they use spoiler tags when they do. If you're discussing the other games or whatever just make sure to label your spoiler so people know which game etc. you're talking about. Also be sensible with your spoilers, I have seen things like "I couldn't believe Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time in The Sixth Sense". Anyone with half a brain would work out what that meant. Other than that chat away!

One final note, all the audio logs picked up in a video will be played in a short companion video with each update.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

I will also be aiming for a completionist playthrough though some items might not be obtainable due to the difficulty restrictions.

Come now, I'm sure you could get it all. ...Though, yes, even with a stealth and wrench set-up for toncis I'm sure Survivor will be a ballbuster either way.

This game does storytelling quite right I find, but yeah, the heavyhandedness of the plot can be more than aggravating. Atlas comes across as more than a little forced, even as a helpful remote NPC aide. Obvious spoilery reasons aside.

Will you be shooting for particular weapon, plasmid, tonic combinations or will you switch things up for the LP and each level's situation?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'll clarify it in the OP but rather than it being too hard it's that the total ADAM available on Survivor isn't enough to purchase all plasmids, tonics, and tracks in one playthrough. I'll have to check again to make sure but I'm fairly certain that's the case! I don't mind that though because I think too many games allow you to unlock everything which makes your choices carry less weight. For example in the newest Deus Ex it'd make sense to go with a stealth or combat build but by the end you can unlock all abilities for each. Other than restrictions like that I'll be unlocking everything it's possible to unlock.

Yeah I agree about that all right! The city and it's inhabitants are all ready villainous enough without Atlas having to radio in saying "These guys are BAD!" every few minutes. I'm going to switch up plasmids a fair bit to try and show as them all off though there'll be a couple I tend to rely on a bit more. I'll try to show off the cooler tonics but most of their buffs aren't that noticeable or exciting e.g. look at this slightly easier hacking minigame! Any tonics or plasmids people ask for in the thread I'll make sure to show off!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Don't know why you'd say Jack is an American name considering it was English slang for "a guy" for a long time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just an off the cuff remark I guess, it is a reliable action hero protagonist name though! I never knew that about its etymology though, cool!

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Is there anything specific about the Irish accent that makes it offensive, or is it just that it's generally lovely?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, re. the Irish accent of Atlas at least there's a definitive reason for him having such a piss-poor accent in the first place. Also, I think the emblem of industry is supposed to be a symbol of a man shaking the 'hand' of a drill bit or a piece of machinery - highly appropriate imagery, I suppose, considering Rapture would be a place with no laws governing industrial safety.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah the Irish accent is only really objectionable in how hammed up it is, for example pronouncing splicer as sploicer. The first time I played this game it really grated on me though and the game didn't really click for me. I restarted it a few months later and it became one of my favourite games. The accent is still bad but now I laugh at instead of getting annoyed by it! I think every small country probably gets the same treatment but only fans from that country notice. For example I couldn't tell a bad Scottish accent from a real one I don't think. I hosed up and I think I say the 'Science' symbol instead of the industry one!

I should have another update up by tonight! For the first few I'll put them out every couple of days before settling into a once a week schedule.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 20, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the second part of our Bioshock LP things get a bit hairy and we have to take a diversion through the Medical Pavilion. We also learn how easily distracted I am from even the most enthralling explanations of gameplay mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuIBuMHc6S4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePu6BUffZ88

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 21, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Exploring the Medical Pavilion more we uncover some bizarre and surely non-regulation medical equipment as well as the world's foremost dating expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M25_kvU-iY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il86sq7UXyQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Been a while since I last played Bioshock - is it typical to have so little Eve? Also, even tho the story was much worse, the gameplay in the second was much, much better.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On Survivor EVE can be a bit on the low side due to there being less loot in containers, the higher plasmid cost, as well as hypos restoring less than in the lower difficulties. As the game progresses I'll have more EVE as a variety of tonics help restore it, for example there's one that restores EVE whenever you use a health pack. I never actually run out of EVE or have to make too much of an effort to conserve it though, even a few levels from now where my backlog currently is.

I definitely agree that the second game had the more polished gameplay. As much as I love the wrench a dedicated melee button was much easier to use. That said the second game had terrible game design in regards to [spoilers] when the Big Sisters would attack. After killing a Big Daddy and saving the Little Sister you could harvest her immediately or spend ages defending her from splices before you could save her. Harvesting or saving her could spawn a Big Sister and if you had saved her you were very low and resources and it made no sense. Big Sisters should have only attacked harvesters rather than saviors.[/spoiler] Also I don't think weapon upgrades change the appearance of your weapon like they do in the original which is the most fun part of the upgrades imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The next part is up. We descend much further into the Medical Pavilion and discuss the worlds deadliest sport and also unearth some time paradoxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDlrumlKu3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYUhgal4yk

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What's up with the weird graphical tears in the video? Dunno if it is just on my phone, tho.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Samovar posted:

What's up with the weird graphical tears in the video? Dunno if it is just on my phone, tho.

Hrm I youtube is being weird on PC for me at the moment and when I attempt to use cinema mode the screen changes size but the video frame is the same size, perhaps it is on their end. I looked through the offline version earlier and it seemed fine though I was coding on the other screen. Were there any particular timestamps I could check? Thanks for the feedback!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You know, when I pick up the shotgun I always run to one of the nearby rooms that's flooded with water, stand on something and use the electrocute plasmid to zap the Splicers as they charge in, it saves a heck of a lot of ammo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can actually stand in the water and your own Electro Bolt won't affect you!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We finally confront the beautiful Steinman and his reasonable and fair plans to murder the ugly. It's also about time to go toe to toe with out first Big Daddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzmJ-8cqkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMkaCrTAhI

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

For reference, according to what I've heard there are three endings. The two main ones you get are for saving all the Little Sisters or harvesting all the Little Sisters, but if you mix up your approach (even if that means saving all but one Little Sister) you get the evil ending except Tenenbaum's VA sounds regretful instead of offended.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing that always irritated me about Nitro splicers was the fact that the grenades 'whistle'. They're not goddamn mortar shells.

Also, sounds like Steinmann's ideal beauty is the 'true Bart' face.

Edit: The saved sisters are REALLY creepy looking.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I think I managed to kill that Nitro Splicer (because I'm a dummy). Another one just showed up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
They respawn until you take out the obstacle.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For reference, according to what I've heard there are three endings. The two main ones you get are for saving all the Little Sisters or harvesting all the Little Sisters, but if you mix up your approach (even if that means saving all but one Little Sister) you get the evil ending except Tenenbaum's VA sounds regretful instead of offended.

Ah my goodness I totally forgot about that! I still think the point stands that multiple endings being possible usually means they are weaker than a single canon sending. I'll be aiming for the good ending because I'm too much of a softy to murder video game children.

And of course a respawning splicer makes much more sense! :doh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Is it this Bioshock or the second one where you can hear The Songbird's dying scream from Bioshock Infinite's ending? Well, that's allegedly what it's supposed to be.

E: Bold denotes the game being spoiled, which is obviously Infinite!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roro posted:

Is it this Bioshock or the second one where you can hear The Songbird's dying scream from Bioshock Infinite's ending? Well, that's allegedly what it's supposed to be.

E: Bold denotes the game being spoiled, which is obviously Infinite!

I agree that it's most likely coincidence but as fan theories/lore goes it's better than most. It's in this game in Sander Cohen's area!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I agree that it's most likely coincidence but as fan theories/lore goes it's better than most. It's in this game in Sander Cohen's area!

Nifty!

Have you read the prequel book that was written? It was made primarily to explain how the events of the second game could even be a thing considering how one plot important character wasn't even present in the first game, but it's actually a solid little story in its own right. Really helps to flesh the characters out a little more. I think it also explains why Andrew chose the bottom of the loving ocean as well, but it's been a couple of years since I read it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, the book explains that Steinman was seeing Aphrodite long before he got hooked on ADAM, on account of being a massive morphine fiend. Leaves out one of my favourite characters though, which was disappointing. Then again, they only appear in the game itself in some audio diaries in the last few sections to begin with. Would've been nice anyway.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roro posted:

Nifty!

Have you read the prequel book that was written? It was made primarily to explain how the events of the second game could even be a thing considering how one plot important character wasn't even present in the first game, but it's actually a solid little story in its own right. Really helps to flesh the characters out a little more. I think it also explains why Andrew chose the bottom of the loving ocean as well, but it's been a couple of years since I read it.

My best friend has told me about the book a few times and it does sound pretty good. I saw him recently and he mentioned it again in defence of the second game's story too. In regards to the first game's plot I heard the booktalks a lot about Frrrrrrrrank Fawntaine and how he comes to Rapture. He rules so much that it's difficult not to bring him up more in videos! I need to play the second episode of Burial at Sea because I think Atlas is in it. However that same friend also recently told me he thinks The Phantom Menace is excellent.

That's cool about the Steinman delusions!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

My best friend has told me about the book a few times and it does sound pretty good. I saw him recently and he mentioned it again in defence of the second game's story too. In regards to the first game's plot I heard the booktalks a lot about Frrrrrrrrank Fawntaine and how he comes to Rapture. He rules so much that it's difficult not to bring him up more in videos! I need to play the second episode of Burial at Sea because I think Atlas is in it. However that same friend also recently told me he thinks The Phantom Menace is excellent.

That's cool about the Steinman delusions!

Yeah, the first half of the book talks about how Rapture came to be, the second half talks about how Rapture went to poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That sounds pretty awesome actually, I'll have to give it a try and let you know what I think!

In our latest update we finally arrive in Neptune's Bounty where Atlas's wife and child are hiding out. We also get into a fight with some locals, get chased by a man on fire, and have an awkward date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUVMEnp2YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1JBrEmZ-U

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's nothing worse than being in a fight with a group of Splicers only for a stray bullet to hit a passive Big Daddy who happened to wander into the fray because then you have to deal with the Splicers and the now enraged Big Daddy at the same time.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
THROW A FISH AT THE BIG DADDY!

Or just hold off. Whatever you think is most practical.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have a backlog built up but if I can pickup a fish I guarantee you I will launch it at a Big Daddy. If not I will find out what the stupidest thing I can throw at one of them is!

Accidentally clipping one is the absolute worst and always happens to me when I use Hypnotise Big Daddy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I really find it funny being able to grab Rose's hooks and chuck them right back at her.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Question regarding Big Daddies of various kinds- am I correct in remembering that they have a weak spot, the tank on their back I think?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been googling and I can't find anything on the Bioshock wiki that mentions it or or any gamefaqs threads. I will be showing off some exploits to beat Big Daddy's later on though as opposed to just brawling with them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the latest update we talk about Disney princesses and people who have committed crimes against humanity AKA radio DJs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=527VNagqAE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAto67JyHk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You should go for 100% research, EmmyOk. If nothing else, some of the bonuses are really fun/useful, like Wrench Jockey 2 (which can stack with Wrench Jockey 1!).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Discendo Vox posted:

You should go for 100% research, EmmyOk. If nothing else, some of the bonuses are really fun/useful, like Wrench Jockey 2 (which can stack with Wrench Jockey 1!).

Or the permanent, passive 50% damage boost to wrench damage against everything. The wrench is so silly overpowered in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

kalonZombie posted:

Or the permanent, passive 50% damage boost to wrench damage against everything. The wrench is so silly overpowered in this game.

I really wish Bioshock 2 could compare. But there just isn't enough fuel in that drill of yours :(

• Locked thread