Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually haven't played the second episode of Burial at Sea even though I enjoyed the first one a lot. I assumed the price would come down but it's still like 10 euro because the evil of Ken Levine knows no limit. Fitting that he's the voice of the Circus of Value in game. As for the slave at the start of the game he was barely in it so honestly I can't recall if his VA was good or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Ken Levine is that bloody circus clown??

In retrospect this makes a lot of sense.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I got the stomach punch joke, at least :3:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was referring to the Irish accents of various NPCs and enemies in Infinite, it isn't really the same as Atlas, I just wondered if they went with equally offensive accents when they were portraying the Irish as part of an oppressed group of people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vicissitude posted:

I got the stomach punch joke, at least :3:

Me too!

Edit: Thank you for correctly stating what Atlas holds up.

Edit edit: It's not nitrous oxide, it's liquid nitrogen. The latter is a hyper-cool material, the former is laughing gas.

Also, if you have difficulty hitting those trap bolts? TK the bolts and it becomes much easier.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 16, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

EmmyOk posted:

The game went off the rails a bit at points but i think they wrapped it all up nicely at the end. I can't remember any Irish accents so maybe that's a good sign. Was the slave from the start marrying the black girl Irish?

In this video we hear some stories I vaguely remember about Ayn Rand I heard on a podcast ages ago and get betrayed by yet another turret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1rTqm37MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5R4Iu0fjZo

When he talks about getting a med hypo in the audiolog at ~2:50, it's not as a form of date-rape, it's as an antibiotic- he's worried his date will have an STI.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

I was referring to the Irish accents of various NPCs and enemies in Infinite, it isn't really the same as Atlas, I just wondered if they went with equally offensive accents when they were portraying the Irish as part of an oppressed group of people.

Ohhh poo poo I know the ones you mean now! Battleship Bay, right?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I meant to say johnnies as opposed to mickies, I was talking about Dieter picking up condoms! Even with the med hypo he sounds like a skeeze. As the LP progresses I feel like we're all learning that I'm barely capable of human speech. Just wait until we get to the chameleons...

e: I didn't expect the other guy to take the stomach thing seriously lmao

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Roro posted:

Ohhh poo poo I know the ones you mean now! Battleship Bay, right?

Yeah, and just whenever you have a Vox enemy yelling at you in some kind of an Irish accent.

Also the best description I've heard of Objectivism is that it's Anti-Bolshevism. It's like Ayn Rand literally decided to just make a philosophy where everything is the opposite of Soviet Communism: The state is evil instead of good, workers are the parasites and capitalists to oppressed heroes, the self comes before the community with altruism being a great evil, etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't usually recognise good Irish accents because they sound totally neutral to me, I assume it's the same for most people hearing their native accent. Sometimes when I hear someone speaking online it takes a moment to determine if they are Irish or potentially British sometimes! Where I'm from in Ireland has a super neutral accent though because it's near Dublin which was the centre point of British occupation. The further you get from Dublin the more the accents sound like what people expect from TV and film.

God drat I still need to research this loving book and I really have no interest, I might just continue the world's worst book report.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I don't usually recognise good Irish accents because they sound totally neutral to me, I assume it's the same for most people hearing their native accent. Sometimes when I hear someone speaking online it takes a moment to determine if they are Irish or potentially British sometimes! Where I'm from in Ireland has a super neutral accent though because it's near Dublin which was the centre point of British occupation. The further you get from Dublin the more the accents sound like what people expect from TV and film.

I never recognized Atlas's accent as Irish when I was playing the game. Still don't.
That said, I suck at recognizing accents. To me it's all just British or American.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I too suck at recognizing accents. Fortunately as a Californian, when people do a Valley-Girl or Surfer-Bro accent they also use the stereotypical slang, so it's easy for me to notice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We were discussing accents in work today and agreed that everyone from everywhere is terrible at recognising non-native accents. TV shows get away with a lot of stuff people don't notice, for example casting Spanish people as Italian. Sal Maroni in the Gotham TV show is the most recent example I can think of. I think David Zayas is Puerto Rican but the point still stands.

The next update will be up tomorrow morning (like 16 hours from now) because the uploaded version has full volume gameplay by accident lmao.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Recently Ken Levine announced he was working on a Twilight Zone game and this upset some very reasonable people on the internet. This video has some minor Bioshock Infinite spoilers but I warn you in video and give a timestamp to jump to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFYSpqBkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=247xUlFtmH8

It's been a while since I played Infinite so I might be forgetting even more of the :stare: race moments, looking back there were more than I remembered.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 25, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Actually, slaves - at least, slaves as they were understood in the 16th century-to-modern day idea of slaves - didn't make the pyramids; the laborers were remunerated for their work, usually through tax breaks.

Edit: As I understand it, Hephaestus is pronounced: "Ha-fess-tuss".

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 30, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

When you started speaking Irish I thought I'd had a seizure for a moment and couldn't understand english any more. 10/20 would worry again.

I'll try to write up some more of Rapture this weekend, I've just been wiped out by starting placement again.

Roro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 25, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Regarding Ken Levine, I agree that it is good for a game developer to try and experiment with the format and push the boundaries of the medium, but if he's going to be ambitious then he exposes himself to much harsher scrutiny. When something falls flat, like what you discussed in the video, I think it's only fair that he be subject to greater criticism than if he was just making another derivative military FPS since those sorts of games aren't about stories, and themes, and such.

Also how do you say "death to the English" in Irish?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Usually with gunfire or car bombs, if the 70s and 80s were anything to go by.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh for sure nothing is immune to criticism simply because "it tried" however I feel like a lot of people seemed to be down on Bioshock Infinite for actually trying in the first place. Don't get me wrong the majority of people who dislike it have perfectly valid and well argued reasons for not liking the gameplay or story but some idiots just seem to be down on a game for trying something bigger. I don't think any AAA game is open to more or less criticism though, I think CoD or the latest EA Sports game should be judged just as harshly (or easily depending on reviewer I guess).

I'm not actually a hundred percent sure how to say that partially because event though I spoke Irish every day of my life until I was 18 I haven't had to use it in the past 6 years and my fluency has seriously waned. Mainly though we were never taught threats or bad language because all our Irish exposure was in an academic setting. I could give a direct translation of the English phrase but that's not really how the language works. Irish is really really long winded when it comes to a lot of basic phrases . We don't have "please" we have "más é do thoil é" which means "if it is your will"

That sounds great, Roro! I hope your placement is going well

Oh wow it sounds like I'm totally off base with my idea of ancient Egypt wrt to slavery, can you tell me a bit more about it, Samovar? Bobbin you also seem to be a history guy though I'm not sure if this is your area, feel free to pitch in if it is!

Dragoon has given me an excuse to post one of my favourite pictures, a bomb disposal officer in Belfast.

I was relatively ill the last week or so and haven't had a chance to record bonus stuff. I mainly watched Netflix and listened to Serial :saddowns:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think any AAA game is open to more or less criticism though, I think CoD or the latest EA Sports game should be judged just as harshly (or easily depending on reviewer I guess).

My bad, I wasn't being clear. I agree we shouldn't go easy of CoD, but it's harder to criticize something when there isn't as much substance there after all how many times do we need to criticize another "America is great and everyone else sucks" plot? Clearly we do since they keep getting made, but its so reflexive and thoughtless there isn't much there to go after.

What I should have said is that being that there is more substance, or attempt at substance, to Infinite's story than your typical AAA game, it holds up to more in-depth criticism.

quote:

Oh wow it sounds like I'm totally off base with my idea of ancient Egypt wrt to slavery, can you tell me a bit more about it, Samovar? Bobbin you also seem to be a history guy though I'm not sure if this is your area, feel free to pitch in if it is!

I only had one class on Ancient Egypt in College, but the work wasn't done by slaves but free peasants who were compensated for their work. I think they did most of their labor when the Nile flooded, since they couldn't work their fields while the Nile was inundating them and it happened predictably enough every year to schedule around. Also the Israelites probably weren't slaves in Egypt, or even in Egypt in the first place, though there was another culture called the Hyksos who invaded Lower Egypt and were eventually pushed out. The Hyksos might then have mixed with the Canaanites and given rise to the biblical myth of the Egyptian captivity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah, like Samovar and White Coke are saying, the pyramids were basically constructed by bored farmers who had nothing better to do for half the year while the Nile was flooded. All the giant Egyptian monuments are really nothing more than statements about how much spare time Egyptians had.

And the black workers in BioShock Infinite weren't slaves, they were underpaid laborers whom Fink imported to run his factory. They were also evenly split between African Americans from the South and Irish immigrants from the North.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

the pyramids were basically constructed by bored farmers who had nothing better to do for half the year while the Nile was flooded. All the giant Egyptian monuments are really nothing more than statements about how much spare time Egyptians had.

The Egyptians also invented beer (we even have some recipes that survived, and they are apparently quite terrible) so I'm sure an element of drunken bravado was involved in the construction of the first pyramids, and then it sort of became a thing. In fact I think part of the workers' wages was in beer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

The Egyptians also invented beer (we even have some recipes that survived, and they are apparently quite terrible) so I'm sure an element of drunken bravado was involved in the construction of the first pyramids, and then it sort of became a thing. In fact I think part of the workers' wages was in beer.

Yeah, the history podcasts I've been listening to about ancient Egypt mention this. The idea that slaves/Jews built the pyramids/Sphinx/etc. is pretty much bunk. Sure, the Egyptians had slaves, and hell yeah, a number of them probably were Jews, but the idea of laboring under the hot sun with a whip at your back is pure Hollywood. Though there was plenty of laboring in the hot sun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

EmmyOk posted:

Recently Ken Levine announced he was working on a Twilight Zone game and this upset some very reasonable people on the internet. This video has some minor Bioshock Infinite spoilers but I warn you in video and give a timestamp to jump to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFYSpqBkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=247xUlFtmH8

It's been a while since I played Infinite so I might be forgetting even more of the :stare: race moments, looking back there were more than I remembered.

apparently, he is just helping/a writer on it. he is still making his new game which is less linear apparently.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, like Samovar and White Coke are saying, the pyramids were basically constructed by bored farmers who had nothing better to do for half the year while the Nile was flooded. All the giant Egyptian monuments are really nothing more than statements about how much spare time Egyptians had.

And the black workers in BioShock Infinite weren't slaves, they were underpaid laborers whom Fink imported to run his factory. They were also evenly split between African Americans from the South and Irish immigrants from the North.

Sure but they were still very much second class citizens with separate washrooms and things like the public stoning.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently, he is just helping/a writer on it. he is still making his new game which is less linear apparently.

Yeah it's not his next big game thankfully so we still have something to look forward to.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gaeilge just sounds like english played in reverse, I'm wise to your trickery

Also as far as bins being removed goes, they were removed from most London stations in the mid 80s, from the underground after the Victoria station bombing in the early 90s and then from other parts of the city a couple years after that in response to the IRA bomb at Bishopsgate, which wasn't in a bin but banning lorries seemed like a lot of work I guess? They're back now apparently, reinstalled a couple of years ago. These facts courtesy of my dad who was living in London at the time but probably just looked on Wikipedia and added his own unique brand of anti-Irish vitriol in order to remind me why I don't phone him more often

Anyway these videos are good etc. etc.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Yup, bins are back on the underground - but they have to consist of a transparent plastic rubbish bag hanging from a stand, so we can see your sneaky bombs.

I've had the misfortune to be employed by the tube for the past 32 years, so I know my poo poo in this respect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Sure but they were still very much second class citizens with separate washrooms and things like the public stoning.

Yeah it's not his next big game thankfully so we still have something to look forward to.

plus 2k is still making a new bioshock at some point. it will probably be announced at e3. probably along with the announcement of the remaster of 1, 2 and infinite. http://gematsu.com/2016/04/bioshock-collection-includes-bioshock-bioshock-2-bioshock-infinite

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Also, while Fink's "workers" aren't technically slaves, they're being forced to compete (bidding low) for 12+-hour shifts and being paid in Fink company scrip, in addition to all the manifold indignities and cruelties Columbia already heaps on the non-(period reasoning) "white" folks there. And many were taken there against their will to begin with, from prisons and the like - and given this is Jim Crow, a lot of them were basically imprisoned for nothing crimes, purely designed to force blacks back into de facto slavery.

So yeah, the distinction is sparse, in my opinion.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

plus 2k is still making a new bioshock at some point. it will probably be announced at e3. probably along with the announcement of the remaster of 1, 2 and infinite. http://gematsu.com/2016/04/bioshock-collection-includes-bioshock-bioshock-2-bioshock-infinite

Didn't levine close down Irrational Games though? If it's just 2K continuing the franchise that's a shame because they made Bioshock 2 without Levine and it was terrible.

We finally meet Julie Langford who is definitely not a splicer reskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3RZTl6Fzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlNvb-ZvUk

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like the 'press button for hints' pop-up around the time that you have a dying woman writing the access code for something.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I read somewhere that the moral choice and multiple endings were forced by higher ups, and that in revenge Ted Levine made Infinite solely to prove that choices in games don't matter and there is only ever one ending across all realities.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I disabled the golden arrow because the game is more interesting when you wander around each are but every now and then it taunts me with that "need a hand, champ?" message and I resent it :saddowns: I also noted down the number Julie scrawled in reverse before I realised I could read it normally when I went in the room.

It wouldn't surprise me that the moral choice was 'design by committee' type thing because games always seem to force in the latest gimmick no matter what. Every game seems to have crafting at the minute even though it's pointless in most of them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I could see that happening with some aspects of the game, considering one of the original design documents for the game had it set in an abandoned military bunker that had been the home to some nasty biological experiments with nary a steampunk-inspired cog in sight. My favourite detail is that everything was intended to be biological, from the machines to the weapons. The hacking minigame was still in there, but rather than rewiring a machine, you were fiddling with the living brain of the machine, feeding it drugs so it would like you and open a door or reduce its prices for you. Stuff like the steampunk details, I could see being added because, hey, steampunk is so hot right now, don't you wanna be cool too?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

White Coke posted:

I read somewhere that the moral choice and multiple endings were forced by higher ups, and that in revenge Ted Levine made Infinite solely to prove that choices in games don't matter and there is only ever one ending across all realities.

He did a great job of proving himself wrong, then.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

He did a great job of proving himself wrong, then.

Constants and variables.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Didn't levine close down Irrational Games though? If it's just 2K continuing the franchise that's a shame because they made Bioshock 2 without Levine and it was terrible.

We finally meet Julie Langford who is definitely not a splicer reskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3RZTl6Fzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlNvb-ZvUk

I liked 2. it wasnt perfect. but the story was interesting enough and the combat was better(shooting wise at least).

but yeah. One of the biggest petty gripes i have with bioshock 1 is the lack of different skins/models for splicers. its like the same 10 with different collored clothes. i get making unique models is hard work, but its kinda disappointing, also the fact that their are no unique human models, even the "ghosts" are just splicer models. the only unique model is ryan and he has aged poorly. he looks like he wearing a rubber face and his mouth looks like blow up dolls

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The other original model is the giant golden Frank at the end but they didn't really have a choice. Even regular Frank/Atlas is just a splicer model. There was also supposed to be a third type of Big Daddy that had a shoulder mounted cannon but iirc they show up in the second game. Gameplaywise the second game is better in a lot of ways but the story is dumb and terrible. If you appreciate the narrative of the first game you should loathe the second one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Gameplaywise the second game is better in a lot of ways but the story is dumb and terrible. If you appreciate the narrative of the first game you should loathe the second one.

Yeah the story is a stupid, but it does expand upon Rapture itself which is everyone's favorite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

White Coke posted:

Yeah the story is a stupid, but it does expand upon Rapture itself which is everyone's favorite character.

yeah. i liked how it expanded rapture and various new areas. i dont think the story was as good as 1s but it was passable. I was kind fine with lamb as a villain. it made sense that a society that was loving destroyed by a right wing philosophy would go hard left. as for lamb getting down there, i assume like any objectivist, ryan cut corners and didn't reaserch her info fully. in my opinion it could be alot worse.

• Locked thread