Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
once I was told I'd be receiving an offer after extensive on-site interviews etc., what the salary would be, what relocation would do, we started talking start date

the next day the recruiter called and told me they were withdrawing my offer: the manager of the team I'd be joining decided to veto my hiring because I didn't have a degree

that manager was out on maternity leave at the time and thus hadn't participated in any of the screening or interviewing, but evidently felt really strongly about everyone having a college degree, so even though her management had already approved everything she still got to take it back

the recruiter sounded pissed when she told me this, and I think it's why she spilled the degree details rather than just say "we changed our mind, can't tell you why, sorry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ not hiring a qualified candidate because they don't have a degree

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Smythe posted:

Gland some fail aids my man

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

today I learned that cultural appropriation is actually a thing some people worry about and not some joke made up to make leftists look like idiots.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

computer toucher posted:

today I learned that cultural appropriation is actually a thing some people worry about and not some joke made up to make leftists look like idiots.

if girls get to like video games its cultural genocide

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

computer toucher posted:

leftists look like idiots on their own most of the time. same for right wingers. PERHAPS THE TRUTH LIES SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maniacdevnull posted:

leftists look like idiots on their own most of the time. same for right wingers. PERHAPS THE TRUTH LIES SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE.

I hate this meme so much

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
good cultural poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

computer toucher posted:

it is a joke made to look leftists look like idiots, but the people that made it up were leftist idiots and they weren't joking.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

it is a joke made to look leftists look like idiots, but the people that made it up were leftist idiots and they weren't joking.

White guy on YOSPOS: "lol, social appropriation is a joke!"

I'm more interested in the opinion of someone hurt by it. That person isn't you.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

The Management posted:

drug tests are for blue collar idiots that operate heavy machinery. companies that drug test their white collar computer touchers are signaling that they don't give a poo poo their employees and you should avoid at all costs.

i had to get drug-tested for my white collar accounting job, but it's a bit more complicated than company values. i work for an HR vendor/staffing firm, and we have to do full background checks (drug tests and all) for our temp payrollees. by extension, this applies to permanent staff. also, some clients are strict enough that they also want their 1099 independent contractors to get tested as well.

same clients also like to monitor the payrollees' timecards for accuracy to the minute, and will reject them if their computer log-in times are more than 5 minutes off from their reported time.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

my job also has drug testing done, but we have people who work on some fairly dangerous poo poo and if someone hosed something up people can get killed etc. It applies to all employees because they don't want to be seen to be targeting a couple of particular departments.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
i was never drug tested at my job but in a strange twist of fate I write drivers for a lot of drug testing machines. is it my moral duty to set all the results to negative now?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
youre not a good cultural fit, as you are unable to walk through the door

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm more interested in the opinion of someone hurt by it. That person isn't you.

reddit neckbeards are appropriating my aristocratic british culture :qq:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I too worked at oracle and can confirm that it simultaneously owned and sucked rear end. worked there almost two years and easily spent a year of it at home 'training' while on the bench which meant playing counter strike and hitting the gym. otoh my manager was a moron deliberately driving high turnover by being a passive aggressive dick and covering his own rear end at all costs.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oracle unironically is the most dysfunctional place ive ever experienced. in my smallish department there was, no poo poo, like 5 layers of management

the only real career development path is to be a manager, which means even small orgs have absurd silos with 3 people teams. this is how so much waste happens, because these retards get to hire a couple people to MANAGE without any clear purpose. internally you have empire building and team poaching to justify promotions and higher titles. they rarely fire people too so under performers just get tucked away in a reserve force of terrible employees, to hold until layoff time.. so they can keep the few good workers lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
yeah we had a guy who no-poo poo didn't even pretend to work. he would show up every day- go to the back of the office and play WoW with headphones. never spoke to anyone or anything. since our manager was a shithead with ~60 employees under him he never noticed or cared.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oracle !!! :razz:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's almost as if whether or not a programmer works makes no difference as to their actual contribution

good on him for recognizing his inherent worthlessness and using it to his advantage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

oracle unironically is the most dysfunctional place ive ever experienced. in my smallish department there was, no poo poo, like 5 layers of management

the only real career development path is to be a manager, which means even small orgs have absurd silos with 3 people teams. this is how so much waste happens, because these retards get to hire a couple people to MANAGE without any clear purpose. internally you have empire building and team poaching to justify promotions and higher titles. they rarely fire people too so under performers just get tucked away in a reserve force of terrible employees, to hold until layoff time.. so they can keep the few good workers lol

yep the guy i talked to for second job said that they're heavily siloed and he has 100% latitude over the team which sounds cool at first buuuuuut

Apr 7, 2003

pram posted:

The last job implemented an internal facebook-ish site and made it mandatory to have pictures. Directors would hang out after 4:30 PM when the rank and file left and look for the hottest summer interns to try to sleep with. I knew of at least seven early twenties interns sleeping with 40ish directors. One of them was stupid enough to divorce his wife for a 22 year old. lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

The last job implemented an internal facebook-ish site and made it mandatory to have pictures. Directors would hang out after 4:30 PM when the rank and file left and look for the hottest summer interns to try to sleep with. I knew of at least seven early twenties interns sleeping with 40ish directors. One of them was stupid enough to divorce his wife for a 22 year old. lol

Oh yeah dude we have all these social networking sites internal to our company, they want to Social Network all the things. If you want to post a social message, there's one network. If you want to post a work message, there's another. If you want to give me "kudos" (because it's 1992, evidently), there's YET ANOTHER, INDEPENDENT SITE that we pay so that you can log in, with your LDAP creds, and click a button to give me "kudos" or "props". And you get to pick a little cartoon guy!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol

Apr 7, 2003

I was in Risk Management so I was around the lawyers, all of whom had to be VPs, and I got to see piles of that sort of behavior. 45 year old men are just as bad as 15 year old boys

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh yeah dude we have all these social networking sites internal to our company, they want to Social Network all the things. If you want to post a social message, there's one network. If you want to post a work message, there's another. If you want to give me "kudos" (because it's 1992, evidently), there's YET ANOTHER, INDEPENDENT SITE that we pay so that you can log in, with your LDAP creds, and click a button to give me "kudos" or "props". And you get to pick a little cartoon guy!

Thank god none of that poo poo happens where I am now. If you want to give me kudos, you can pay me more. That's all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

I was in Risk Management so I was around the lawyers, all of whom had to be VPs, and I got to see piles of that sort of behavior. 45 year old men are just as bad as 15 year old boys

every single one of those conservative "Christian Family Men" at that small biz computer shop I worked at turned into drooling, elbowing, giggling perverts whenever an attractive woman walked into the shop. Unless she wasn't white, of course.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at the last sales conference i was at for my current employer all the married 40-50 year old dudes were flirting with the young ladies and it was really painful to experience up close

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

every single one of those conservative "Christian Family Men" at that small biz computer shop I worked at turned into drooling, elbowing, giggling perverts whenever an attractive woman walked into the shop. Unless she wasn't white, of course.

When we took our vacation to Chicago I camped out in the hotel bar one night after my wife fell asleep. A Bayer Crop Science sales conference was being held there, and I got to listen to one dude introduce his girlfriend to me and ask me about her tits and talk about how nice it was to have a woman at home and a woman on the road.

(They were based in WV)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

this is the upside of working with dumb racists, you have all the cute brown girls to yourself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Citizen Tayne posted:

When we took our vacation to Chicago I camped out in the hotel bar one night after my wife fell asleep. A Bayer Crop Science sales conference was being held there, and I got to listen to one dude introduce his girlfriend to me and ask me about her tits and talk about how nice it was to have a woman at home and a woman on the road.

(They were based in WV)

to be fair, it is probably pretty nice

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

(They were based in WV)

Yeah that's gross and all, but how were the tits?

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Yeah that's gross and all, but how were the tits?

40 year old bucktoothed west virginian, you tell me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

we have a recognition site like that but it gives the other person 25 dollars when you thank them, so it's actually nice to get one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kwinkles posted:

we have a recognition site like that but it gives the other person 25 dollars when you thank them, so it's actually nice to get one

haha no hundreds of karma points fly every day + theyre all 100% worthless

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
you got a kudo!

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

oh my god you have no idea how much I cry whenever I see someone that is not a pasty Finn go into a hot room naked.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pram posted:

ok realtalk i worked at oracle for 3 years (not anymore)

its bad, but also good. yes its a horrible kafkaesque bureaucracy. BUT. the expectations are so incredibly low it's essentially the easiest paycheck ever. they encourage working from home too. in fact for a 4 month period after my department was merged with another i literally did nothing. my manager only instant messaged me 4 times during that time.. and then i got placed under another manager and was given a better title. lol

this is exactly the reason why i don't want to quit my job, lol. not that i don't like working but it's cool when you can spend half your time working on your own poo poo, or reading the wikipedia article for cyndi lauper

did you know she sang the theme song for pee-wee's playhouse under a pseudonym? now you know.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway, the last job i applied for, they did not interview me because i said i wouldn't pass a nicotine screening because i was on the patch. very cool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

GameCube posted:

nicotine screening

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol what

A lot of places won't hire you if you smoke now.

• Locked thread