Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

A lot of places won't hire you if you smoke now.

i guess its a health insurance thing

but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
smoking is the one thing you're legally allowed to discriminate against

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

in about half of these united states

and if someone tried hard enough they could probably win a lawsuit, since there are medical conditions/disabilities that make someone more likely to smoke, but who wants to try that hard to defend their right to smoke when literally everybody benefits from them quitting?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
everyone except the state which will lose out on the tax revenue

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

i agree with it. smoking in 2016 is dumb and lets you work half as much as you probably already do by taking ten 15 minute breaks throughout the day.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

increasing the prices of cigarette packs to about $8-10 now did wonders for reducing the number of smokers. it's really rare that i see someone actively smoking outside and i'm glad of it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

increasing the prices of cigarette packs to about $8-10 now did wonders for reducing the number of smokers

[citation needed]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

triple sulk posted:

i agree with it. smoking in 2016 is dumb and lets you work half as much as you probably already do by taking ten 15 minute breaks throughout the day.

i have no problem with smoke breaks. anything to take more from management.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

sounds like a great place to collect a fat paycheck without doing any actual work

hell yeah

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

smoking is good

epoc for the win

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Citizen Tayne posted:

my last job did a piss test for this and a hair drug test

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

Every year they take a mouth swab here for a nicotine metabolite. If it comes back positive, you have to attend cessation coaching classes on your own time and pay an extra $150 a month for insurance.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

you fit the culture if ur white, right out of college, and willing to accept $26,000/year

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Every year they take a mouth swab here for a nicotine metabolite. If it comes back positive, you have to attend cessation coaching classes on your own time and pay an extra $150 a month for insurance.

wow after the initial test all you had to do was sign a waiver that said you didn't use tobacco products. the cost for doing so was $1200 a year

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cat Face Joe posted:

you fit the culture if ur white, right out of college, and willing to accept $26,000/year

Ding ding ding ding you win a prize!! See also

http://danluu.com/programmer-moneyball/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Citizen Tayne posted:

i really hate this future

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

in california they can straightup fire you for smoking

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

Ding ding ding ding you win a prize!! See also

http://danluu.com/programmer-moneyball/

wow that guy sure loves to call himself an engineer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Panty Saluter posted:

i really hate this future

You just wait until they can fire you for being genetically prone to alcoholism or heart disease

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

triple sulk posted:

whats wrong with taking breaks?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the reason california gives is that smokers are more unhealthy and this affects their ability to work or some poo poo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

gonadic io posted:

You just wait until they can fire you for being genetically prone to alcoholism or heart disease

yeah, im pretty hosed then, both run on my father's side

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow after the initial test all you had to do was sign a waiver that said you didn't use tobacco products. the cost for doing so was $1200 a year

a lot of companies do things like this, and sometimes the requirements for the insurance surcharge or tobacco-free reward or however the implement it is different for different divisions or union memberships or whatever within the company.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

this is discrimination against vapers. its not the nicotine thats bad its all the other stuff!

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Cat Face Joe posted:

a hair drug test? where the heck did you work, the LDS chapter of the FBI?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

computer toucher posted:

oh my god you have no idea how much I cry whenever I see someone that is not a pasty Finn go into a hot room naked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqP9fB5dj4

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

OldAlias posted:

smoking is good

epoc for the win

that scuba diver is sad :smith:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

so hows working in Hell otherwise?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

those are loving swedes, the scum of the earth. triggered af rn.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wow that guy sure loves to call himself an engineer

he's got an EE background so yup he is an engineer

i really like him because he is an older more successful version of myself/.

Apr 7, 2003

computer toucher posted:

so hows working in Hell otherwise?

Pretty good besides that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

GameCube posted:

anyway, the last job i applied for, they did not interview me because i said i wouldn't pass a nicotine screening because i was on the patch. very cool

Citizen Tayne posted:

what the hell lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
guilty of smoke crimes, take this comrade to room 101 (smoking cessation seminar)

Apr 7, 2003

What they present it as is "insurance costs x, if you don't smoke we give you a discount towards that" but we all know what that turns into eventually

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my company hires smokers but they are not allowed to smoke anywhere near the building, even in the parking lot. they have to walk their rear end all the way to the curb so they can stand on the sidewalk. also they get hosed on insurance. but there is no testing because we aren't animals.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

we aren't animals.

Incorrect.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It seems like everyone in Seattle smokes. They left California to get away from their nagging parents and their social norms.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

see the main problem is that your work has anything to do with how your medical issues are being taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

computer toucher posted:

see the main problem is that your work has anything to do with how your medical issues are being taken care of.

also that the insurance companies are punishing you for being unhealthy instead of making you healthy

• Locked thread