Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

George posted:

also that the insurance companies are punishing you for being unhealthy instead of making you healthy

oh wait these are the same thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas before this turns into a boring healthcare debate

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
quick pram post that thing again

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

at the last place i interviewed i wasn't a cultural fit because apparently i was too negative about my current role. they pushed and pushed me to tell them about all the negative things though. only just now not feeling bitter about the whole thing.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

my stepdads beer posted:

at the last place i interviewed i wasn't a cultural fit because apparently i was too negative about my current role. they pushed and pushed me to tell them about all the negative things though. only just now not feeling bitter about the whole thing.

That's a pretty negative thing to say about the interview

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gonadic io posted:

That's a pretty negative thing to say about the interview

this

im not sure youre a good cultural fit for yospos

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

gonadic io posted:

Ding ding ding ding you win a prize!! See also

http://danluu.com/programmer-moneyball/

Dis is some good poo poo op. I'm surprised Google of all places was the company that "took a chance on him" so maybe BECAUSE they did that he's sort of overemphasizing their willingness to do so with other candidates... I have a hard time imagining Facebook doesn't also critically look at their hiring practices and occasionally "take chances" on candidates with different skill sets (also kind of disingenuous to claim google "took a chance with him", gee, someone from a good school who put in 7 years of work with a solid company, but its not the exact right company? Gee really taking a big risk here)

But I can see Joe Startup doing the stupid poo poo he's talking about and expecting they'll just get the best because they have a product that will Change The World™. We had a case of that at my last job, where a manager was perplexed we couldn't find rock star people who knew statistics AND big data AND good programming practices in and out and were also willing to work for us. One of our more indispensable programmers was listening to the conversation pointed out the obvious "well, those people work for googles... we really can't attract that kind of talent here".

I guess its because of that I can't get too upset about the dev shops with the top shelf perks being stupid about their hiring. It might suck they pass you over for no good reason, but there are plenty of companies out there with more realistic expectations that'll still pay a deece 6 figgies because they realize they can't get "The Best". So out of all the injustices in the world, this one ranks pretty low.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my stepdads beer posted:

never say negative things about your old job at a job interview. if they ask you why you're leaving say that you like your current place but you're looking for new challenges, want something new, whatever other positive and inspiring reason that isn't "my boss is a dick and my coworkers are idiots and they hosed me on bonus last year".

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

never say negative things about your old job at a job interview. if they ask you why you're leaving say that you like your current place but you're looking for new challenges, want something new, whatever other positive and inspiring reason that isn't "my boss is a dick and my coworkers are idiots and they hosed me on bonus last year".

I said something negative about my old landlord to my new landlord and at our court hearing he brought it up. lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

I thought this was the most obvious loving thing in the world, but guy I was interviewing got tossed the most softball question in the world and launched into rant about how all the devs at his current job were retarded and only he the sysadmin new what was what :smuggo:

* scribbles on pad *: "not a good culture fit"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

lol ive definitely done this but always carefully presented
"well, this program was a challenge, as the technical leadership chose not to document any requirements, so i had to <x y z>"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ADINSX posted:

Dis is some good poo poo op. I'm surprised Google of all places was the company that "took a chance on him" so maybe BECAUSE they did that he's sort of overemphasizing their willingness to do so with other candidates... I have a hard time imagining Facebook doesn't also critically look at their hiring practices and occasionally "take chances" on candidates with different skill sets (also kind of disingenuous to claim google "took a chance with him", gee, someone from a good school who put in 7 years of work with a solid company, but its not the exact right company? Gee really taking a big risk here)
It jives with my experience. Google was willing to take a chance on me when I had no CS schooling and my only work history was a year at a startup doing cloudy things. Maybe I interview well.

Apr 7, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

It jives with my experience. Google was willing to take a chance on me when I had no CS schooling and my only work history was a year at a startup doing cloudy things. Maybe I interview well.

It's the companies that don't know anything about development that institute ridiculous requirements, I wouldn't have gotten into the company I currently work for as a dev had I tried to join them directly instead of through a contractor. They want six sigma certs and a master's degree now to apply directly for an entry level position.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's the companies that don't know anything about development that institute ridiculous requirements, I wouldn't have gotten into the company I currently work for as a dev had I tried to join them directly instead of through a contractor. They want six sigma certs and a master's degree now to apply directly for an entry level position.

and they probably only want to pay $45K for that position too, and are absolutely unwilling to pay more than $65K

which is just coincidentally the maximum pay actually required for those on an H1-B visa (you didn't think they actually had to be paid true market rates did you?)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

I said something negative about my old landlord to my new landlord and at our court hearing he brought it up. lmao

i've had a great experience in my current apartment and can keep the place really neat and tidy but i am looking for fresh new challenges, maybe an extra room to keep clean and a garden to tend to. i am eager to collaborate on large projects with the local home owners association

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

open source experience goes a long way. if I knew about your contributions (and didn't know you were a yosposter) I would have hired someone like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

open source experience goes a long way. if I knew about your contributions (and didn't know you were a yosposter) I would have hired someone like you.

lol

• Locked thread