Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
once I was told I'd be receiving an offer after extensive on-site interviews etc., what the salary would be, what relocation would do, we started talking start date

the next day the recruiter called and told me they were withdrawing my offer: the manager of the team I'd be joining decided to veto my hiring because I didn't have a degree

that manager was out on maternity leave at the time and thus hadn't participated in any of the screening or interviewing, but evidently felt really strongly about everyone having a college degree, so even though her management had already approved everything she still got to take it back

the recruiter sounded pissed when she told me this, and I think it's why she spilled the degree details rather than just say "we changed our mind, can't tell you why, sorry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's the companies that don't know anything about development that institute ridiculous requirements, I wouldn't have gotten into the company I currently work for as a dev had I tried to join them directly instead of through a contractor. They want six sigma certs and a master's degree now to apply directly for an entry level position.

and they probably only want to pay $45K for that position too, and are absolutely unwilling to pay more than $65K

which is just coincidentally the maximum pay actually required for those on an H1-B visa (you didn't think they actually had to be paid true market rates did you?)

• Locked thread