Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The most important thing is to establish dominance early. So the first alien we meet we need to immediately kill and eat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

There are a number of ways the lower forces might try to manifest themselves and convince the masses you can create the kingdom of heaven on earth. They prefer complete individual striving and cannibalism but they could come forward as an alien invasion/intervention, or a Rapture and a Second Coming. Do not be deceived. The subtleties of creation - matter, energy, time, space - are masked by gross temporal flesh.

If time is a subtlety of creation then why is temporal a bad quality?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

I was not necessarily giving it a completely negative flavor

Your use of the word "gross" says otherwise. Checkmate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why does the question assume aliens coming to earth, and not humanity becoming a space-faring race?

Doesn't matter, answer still remains to eat/kill/gently caress the first of every new species we find.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
OP please expound on your belief that Jesus will save us from the aliens, TIA

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pegged Lamb posted:

I think you're a little too confident about the first thing.

Says the guy presenting that extraterrestrial life will contact the earth in his lifetime as an indisputable fact. :rolleyes:

Idea for a new thread: "First appointment with a psychologist: is Pegged Lamb ready?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pegged Lamb posted:

Don't try to start one of those never ending "but, you said" things by deliberately mischaracterizing my original post which is a hypothetical, as you well know it is, and you are just being a vindictive rear end in a top hat for no reason (or out of a habit formed on this forum)

I'm not interested in hypotheticals, I'm interested in what people actually believe and why they believe it.

Edit: And also you really do need to seek help.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pegged Lamb posted:

Germ theory seemed insane, at first, and all of the sudden it wasn't.

So? His claims were at least made using observable evidence and not merely a random feeling they once had. What's your basis for belief that there is an interstellar traveling intelligent race out there?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Skeleton Ape posted:

We'll never be ready. We've spent a long time evolving into violent psychotic apes and it's going to take even longer to evolve out of it.

This assumes that being violent, psychotic apes isn't going to be incredibly useful when we meet intelligent extraterrestrial life.

This assumption is wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mofabio posted:

Unless they're able to figure out how to communicate with us, the contact will be silent. We're not even able to figure out how to converse with the other mammals on this planet, despite sharing the same brain layouts.

Are you unaware that dogs exist?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mofabio posted:

Unless first contact is between a domesticated dog, and a nut who believes dogs carry on in conversation, then first contact will be quiet. Sorry!

How do you define a "conversation"? If my dog gets my attention, I ask her if she needs to go out, and she barks and runs to the door to wait for me, then we have undeniably communicated in a back and forth manner. Does only verbal English count? That's needlessly anthropocentric, don't you think?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mofabio posted:

I mean, sure. I just think dog-level communication would be an extremely disappointing first contact, and also way better than we're likely to get.

I'm basing that off of our inability to communicate with the vast majority of species on earth, despite intra-species communication being ubiquitous, despite our efforts, despite sharing communication hardware. Until we can hold court with cetaceans, I highly doubt we'll make headway with aliens.

Have you read Ted Chiang's Story of Your Life?

Do you not think that interstellar traveling aliens will be just a wee bit smarter than your average Pomeranian? That they might maybe be just a smidgen more intelligent than a Yorkie, perhaps?

You're talking as if our inability to communicate with the other species on this planet as somehow a failing of humanity, that we just aren't smart enough to figure out how to talk with the great dolphin philosophers of the deep. But, you know that the Hitchhiker's Guides are works of fiction and not documentaries, right? They can't actually jump out of the water and fly off into space when the Vogons come, that's not a thing. The issue isn't that we aren't smart enough, it's that dolphins brains literally aren't evolved to process communication the same way that we do. Other animals are too "dumb" to be capable of talking on our level, not the other way around.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks to my extensive XCOM training the very first thing I will do when I see an alien is throw a frag grenade.

But if you destroy the cover they were behind you'll leave yourself dangerously exposed when you go to press forward!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

Aside from the interstellar part,

That was the most important part, though. That there is other life in the universe out there wasn't the part I was taking issue with.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

You laugh but that makes complete sense - to the creator of the universe we would be like bacteria - small but useful and manageable.

If there is a thinking creator it is cruel and thinks of intelligent life merely as something to be used to it's own capricious whims. :agreed:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

You can choose to believe that -

I can't, actually. There is no mechanism by which I can control the reactions going on inside my brain. Free will is a lie, albeit a very useful one.

quote:

Overcome sensuality, become a vessel for God- or be used in one way or another by the shadows that prey on all humans.

If I'm merely here to be used without my consent what does it matter who or what is using me? In either case I'm still being preyed upon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

That's okay - the message and the mission isn't for everyone.

Why not? Is your God incapable of having a message that could reach everyone?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

No, God makes the means of truth available to every mind, but you have free will to seek it, ignore it, or misuse it. This world is dominated by the forces that reject serving God. While every human vehicle is capable of developing or hosting a mind-soul, not all of them do.

I have free will? Really? To what degree? What does my free will apply to, and how is it freely exercised? Is it actually freely exercised if I'm unaware of all possible and impossible choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

You can make up your own mind - I'm just here to pass along a message.

Can I? How am I supposed to do that when your message is vague and incomprehensible?

• Locked thread