Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

Regardless of the readiness of human civilizations, if the aliens wanted some sort of human auxiliary force I would sell you all out and join it immediately. I'd hope there's some sort of robot suit involved but that doesn't factor into my immediate and enthusiastic betrayal calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm going to guess Contact got it right with mathematical, chemical, or physical constants serving as common concepts for communication. It depends on the type of alien though, if they're space-folding whales or clouds of energy then it'd probably more difficult. If aliens show up in a ship and purposefully reveal themselves they probably want to communicate and since they managed to build a space ship they're probably sentient or a hive mind with a high level of sentience. There's plenty of arguments to be had over what sentience is but ants are basically little machines and I don't care to ask my coffee maker any questions. As for dolphins, while picking up and playing with a sponge is neat, I don't think they've made any breakthroughs in the field of hybrid rocketry lately so I don't see them offering any groundbreaking insights into much beyond balancing a ball on their nose in exchange for a fish.

Sight and audio perception are huge evolutionary advantages so while aliens might not possess either, I'd wager that they'd possess at least one. Light is pretty ubiquitous in the universe and illumination is pretty helpful in performing complex tasks like building an interstellar vessel.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I agree with both of you. I doubt humanity will ever encounter intelligent life or that we'll ever expand anywhere beyond the bounds of Titan and that's if we're extremely lucky. FTL travel is also almost certainly impossible as well. If, however, by some fluke there is an intelligent species in a cool FTL ship and contact is made I think there'd be a baseline for communication and that they'd want to talk if they've revealed themselves to us. The likelihood of them just passing by and stumbling across the Earth by accident seems pretty low even compared to the other almost zero chances of FTL travel space aliens. I'm still going to assume that anything complex enough to build a space ship can see though, maybe not the exact same wavelengths as humans but there's no shortage of light in the universe.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I get LSD in the desert cults.

I don't get castration in Mexico followed by mass-suicide-to-board-a-UFO cults.

• Locked thread