Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There are a number of ways the lower forces might try to manifest themselves and convince the masses you can create the kingdom of heaven on earth. They prefer complete individual striving and cannibalism but they could come forward as an alien invasion/intervention, or a Rapture and a Second Coming. Do not be deceived. The subtleties of creation - matter, energy, time, space - are masked by gross temporal flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

If time is a subtlety of creation then why is temporal a bad quality?

I was not necessarily giving it a completely negative flavor - things come and go and that is natural - but if the universe is a purposeful creation and there is some truth to the beliefs seen in our world - well then? Who? What? Now?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

Zefram Cochrane, of course.

Which one? The Jovial Hippie or the marauder with a shotgun?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

we still have motherfuckers running around screaming that the earth is 6000 years old and flat while simultaneously holding important public offices
an honest to god meeting with an extraterrestrial lifeform would be the biggest cultural catastrophe in history before we even get to what they might be visiting for

Like when one half of the planet was formally introduced to the other.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Extraterrestials, ghosts, God - the supernatural.

The truth is out there - in the Anthropocene you have amazing (but ultimately crude) means of seeking - do not forsake an opportunity for learning and growth.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

OP please expound on your belief that Jesus will save us from the aliens, TIA

I hope OP hasn't gone for this misinformation - they are clearly asking the right questions.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pegged Lamb posted:

it is very, very strange that this forum treats the existence of extra terrestrial life as tantamount to the supernatural, probably based on nothing more than the latest Neil DeGrasse Tyson podcast. Also I don't call the pathological attachment to Occam's Razor and the continual practice on this forum of yelling past each other and virtually never settling on any conclusions or definitions "learning and growth."

I don't mean anything mocking about what I am saying - here are a couple resources:

Videos

Text

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

The 19th and 20th centuries were a period where the existence of deities, spirits, souls, the afterlife, and all forms of the supernatural were thoroughly debunked. We're about 99.99% certain that there is no God and that the universe works by naturalistic processes that leave no room for magic or spirits. This has been a crushing blow to the world's religions and many atheists love to rub it in the faces of religious people. But I bet many of those same atheists have their own hopes and dreams, such as the myth of progress and the idea that humanity will one day expand into outer space. But what if the 21st century is the century where the same thing that happened to the cherished beliefs of religious people also happens to the dreams and hopes of science-loving atheists? As we learn more and more about the universe, we're also learning that faster-than-light travel is impossible, that we'll never expand into outer space and encounter other intelligent lifeforms, that we're pretty much stuck on this planet and eventually we'll run out of resources and just peter out. No Star Trek, no Star Wars, no nothing. Who are you to sneer and smirk at God-believers who think their dead loved ones are in Heaven, when your own beliefs about the world are equally childish and false? The nerd who thinks we'll one day make a warp drive is equally as foolish as the Jesus lover who thinks God hears his prayers and that God has a plan for him.

What is dark matter? Dark energy? Gravity? Time? Thought? You have an opportunity here - do not waste it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Potential BFF posted:

Regardless of the readiness of human civilizations, if the aliens wanted some sort of human auxiliary force I would sell you all out and join it immediately. I'd hope there's some sort of robot suit involved but that doesn't factor into my immediate and enthusiastic betrayal calculus.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I hope you will rethink this.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I communicate with bacteria - I give them a message they can understand (plasmid transformation) - I select for individuals that have received the message - and then I collect their purified 'minds'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I like cheese as well.

You laugh but that makes complete sense - to the creator of the universe we would be like bacteria - small but useful and manageable.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

If there is a thinking creator it is cruel and thinks of intelligent life merely as something to be used to it's own capricious whims. :agreed:

You can choose to believe that - but in that case by resisting the Creator you are trying to fight entropy or whatever you want to call the process of the universe expending energy. I'm not done watching the Beyond Human Sessions and I hope those reading will check them out. Life on this Earth has purpose and is well-tended. This age is coming to an end and individuals must choose their house, so to speak.

Transhumanism, the singularity, and other corruptions must be challenged. You have a flesh and blood life, a mind, and a time here on earth to develop. New vehicles brought into this world can become purely material things, slaves, robots (just the Czech word for the former).

Overcome sensuality, become a vessel for God- or be used in one way or another by the shadows that prey on all humans.

Edit: Fixed Phone posting typos

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 23, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Immortan posted:

How great would it be if humans were replaced by those replicants from Blade Runner or the androids from Ex Machina. No more disease, sickness, religion, etc.

A counterfeit Earth like that would be completely without God's presence - the machines would serve a master wouldn't they? A counterfeit creator? Sounds like Hell - the kind of world Lucifer completely controls in opposition to God.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's okay - the message and the mission isn't for everyone.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Why not? Is your God incapable of having a message that could reach everyone?

No, God makes the means of truth available to every mind, but you have free will to seek it, ignore it, or misuse it. This world is dominated by the forces that reject serving God. While every human vehicle is capable of developing or hosting a mind-soul, not all of them do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

I have free will? Really? To what degree? What does my free will apply to, and how is it freely exercised? Is it actually freely exercised if I'm unaware of all possible and impossible choices?

You can make up your own mind - I'm just here to pass along a message.

• Locked thread