Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
But seriously, I think the outcone of first contact is highly dependant upon how tasty we find them and how tasty they find us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The London bombings weren't anything special, nothing about them would make people truly question our existence (other than the ones directly affected perhaps). The arrival of extraterrestrials on the other hand would mean humanity was no longer at the top of the food chain so to speak, overturning a tens of thousands of years old status quo. On top of that you of course have the fact that it would result in a major overturning of traditional religious thought in most of the world, which definitely opens up for all kinds of weird cults, including ones that encourage mass suicides. I mean, it's not like an alien worshiping cult ending in mass suicide is unheard of, imagine what could happen if you suddenly had actual aliens around.

what if they were a buncha really, really, really tasty spacecows?

could we eat them?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm imagining a race of space cows which eating causes humans to regain their youth.

God what poor, poor species. Their first wave gonna be gobbled all up and turned into factories. Whatever happens between the first wave and the second, humanity gonna have a whole lotta explaining to do

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

That's how they'll transplant their own sentience into our forms. "Eat of me."

We cannot allow these drat aliens to win the consumption race! We are Americans! By god, we will eat of them until there are no more of them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fnox posted:

It's stupidly poetic but it's very likely they'd be able to communicate with us by the time they get here, I mean, unlike dogs or cetaceans we have almost a hundred years of radio communications bouncing off into space. Considering we're also very likely to be the dogs in this metaphor, it should be easier for them to learn how to communicate to us rather than the other way around.

What if they just communicate once, as if they were discovered by an indisputable lighthouse operating hundreds of thousands of lightyears away?

If we have first contact, and that contact is a message older than our species, what then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

I forsee this being the true First Contact.

It's the most likely scenario, innit? That space/time is so vast that, while life is not unique, the distance between it is nigh-insurmountable.

• Locked thread