Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

were giant robots really popular in 87

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Giant robots have always been popular, as they should be.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

this was one of the first results when i looked up the series with the flying fedora that shot lasers at people

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Not as popular as cute girls apparently

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait did we just jump from d to h?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

woah what's this

it sounds rad

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

woah what's this

it sounds rad

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That manga actually had a volume published in America, before the manga boom was really a thing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is this an airline pilot anime??

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

That manga actually had a volume published in America, before the manga boom was really a thing

I think because it's printed as a textbook

http://www.amazon.com/Japan-Inc-Introduction-Japanese-Economics/dp/0520062892

I can't really find anything visual about the anime though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also is anyone going to tell srice he left a 1971 video in the playlist?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's badass

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is stair trolling us? Is this a troll stair?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Droyer posted:

Stair is a little slow... it's not his fault

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Droyer posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was on purpose

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I found someone else on Dailymotion who's uploaded big OP/ED videos by year but they have the OP and EDs together

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You broke it Stairmaster

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

here's that one for the spinning mirror that lasted forever, has anyone seen this? It sounds interesting, at least

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

littleorv posted:

You broke it Stairmaster

don't be sad it's over be glad it happened

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what is this site that doesnt load anything

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

here's a video that was released in 1987 and is mostly just watercolors from a manga and pop music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbUBgxSkN0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parallax posted:

I thought I said something looked like Robotech, but I don't think it was Zillion

There was a Master System game based on it.

The western box art looked like this:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

There was a Master System game based on it.

The western box art looked like this:

lol

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Parallax posted:

I think because it's printed as a textbook

http://www.amazon.com/Japan-Inc-Introduction-Japanese-Economics/dp/0520062892

I can't really find anything visual about the anime though

They are burning Japanese cars in Detroit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that's what pretty much all NA master system boxes looked like, just different images and titles imposed over a black and white grid

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

that's what pretty much all NA master system boxes looked like, just different images and titles imposed over a black and white grid

i think that's the most infamous one. i like this one, though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

talking about retro anime during the live stream and here's the entry for the ninja red mask

i'm probably gonna look up 1993 later too, that was the year we did before right? I probably won't post any from then, since I'm crowding up this thread anyway

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

talking about retro anime during the live stream and here's the entry for the ninja red mask

i'm probably gonna look up 1993 later too, that was the year we did before right? I probably won't post any from then, since I'm crowding up this thread anyway

Yeah 93 is the other one. Funnily enough that's when the Little Women sequel aired

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

Yeah 1993 was the year I used for the test run.

Don't worry about crowding up the thread, those entries are fascinating. Those short blurbs give me a better idea of what sort of show it is than just looking it up on ANN/Wikipedia/etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also while I can't run anything late tonight since I might be busy, I am tentatively planning on running a stream at 5:30 PM EST (A little over 3 hours from the time of this post), with half of 2000's OP, and 1972 since it's a single video.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

Yeah 1993 was the year I used for the test run.

Don't worry about crowding up the thread, those entries are fascinating. Those short blurbs give me a better idea of what sort of show it is than just looking it up on ANN/Wikipedia/etc.

I will continue, unabated then

this was that show that you mentioned where someone on usenet said that evangelion would make shows like this forgettable, right? makes sense if it was pretty popular in Japan. also the whole series is on Toei US's YouTube page, and it's the only show they have, inexplicably

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

What's the name of the anime encyclopedia?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I will continue, unabated then

this was that show that you mentioned where someone on usenet said that evangelion would make shows like this forgettable, right? makes sense if it was pretty popular in Japan. also the whole series is on Toei US's YouTube page, and it's the only show they have, inexplicably

No that person said the opposite, Ghost Sweeper Mikami would make Evangelion forgettable.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dogsicle posted:

What's the name of the anime encyclopedia?

The Anime Encyclopedia by Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy. I have the second edition, but there's a newer one that came out two or three years ago. Clements also has a book on the history of anime that's good. It goes way more into older stuff than you'd expect, like half of the book or more is pre-Astro Boy

Droyer posted:

No that person said the opposite, Ghost Sweeper Mikami would make Evangelion forgettable.

that makes less sense since Eva came out after GS Mikami

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wow someone actually translated all (?) 329 chapters of that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

that makes less sense since Eva came out after GS Mikami

I suspect it might have to do with Eva being a big show so people had access to it earlier? Or maybe the guy just meant that years down the line Mikami would be the one people would remember. Either way it's a funny sentiment.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Here's the entry for Macross Delta:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh hey Thunderbirds 2086, I remember watching that when it was on TV here. Japan loves Thunderbirds, so they made their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

People talk about nationalist themes in anime now, but there were apparently multiple OVAs that started in 1993 that are about Japan winning the war in the Pacific, or invading Manchuria because they had to defend it from aliens

• Locked thread