Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RabbitWizard posted:

Troubling nickname for worldchat spotted.

Is there a limit, RP reason, or just going to be really annoying due to length? I look to be stretch the online list which is great.

I'm surprised it let me have a name this long almost nothing does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

pixaal posted:

Is there a limit, RP reason, or just going to be really annoying due to length? I look to be stretch the online list which is great.

I'm surprised it let me have a name this long almost nothing does.

A bit up the last page, someone named OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO had to change his name, but we'll see how it goes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
He's been invited, so we'll get more entertainment from it if they do have a problem.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Disable world chat; problem solved.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Good OP info: NEVER MAKE TWINE EVER

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Changed to ImAx16, blam!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Grumpy (the main dev) just posted in the in-game Announcements that automated skimming of the manual with scripts is a bannable offense. So there's that to keep in mind.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ignoranus posted:

Grumpy (the main dev) just posted in the in-game Announcements that automated skimming of the manual with scripts is a bannable offense. So there's that to keep in mind.

But how would they know? I mean, I guess if the manual was being opened to a hundred different pages by the same IP at the same time, I guess they could detect that, but otherwise, how would they know?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm betting "the manual was being opened to a hundred different pages by the same IP at the same time" is precisely what someone was doing.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

neogeo0823 posted:

But how would they know? I mean, I guess if the manual was being opened to a hundred different pages by the same IP at the same time, I guess they could detect that, but otherwise, how would they know?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm betting "the manual was being opened to a hundred different pages by the same IP at the same time" is precisely what someone was doing.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone doing such a thing.

keldon posted:

So using some questionable methods (scraping the item pages in the manual), I was able to find some arbitrage opportunities by buying an item cheap and selling it for more copper. Oftentimes this could be done without even having to travel. My best score was buying thousands of Cherry Logs in DF for 7, and selling them in a different store in DF for 9. I started the day with a few dozen copper, and now have over 18,000.

Feels like EVE up in here.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's not too hard to look for those opportunities manually, there's not very many items that are bought/sold in large quantity. Herbs, vegetables, logs and ores come to mind (even if there's a lot of types of those). Plus, there's an API coming soon.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Senso posted:

Changed to ImAx16, blam!

true story

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Ignoranus posted:

lol

The guy asking why on the thread isn't even a goon, he's just some guy in Dhara who was using a script to combine guild storages together so that they weren't super obnoxious to view.

Also, we're at 1.86m guild exp now, and it's 7:40 PM, which is what... 40k in 9 hours during the day on a weekday? That's not bad.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Welp I got banned for autoclicking, seeya.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

laffo.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Hahaha yeah, he messaged me to make sure I wasn't scripting (I'm manually checking the item list for arbitrage points; apparently I did 154 manual views in 20 minutes!) sooooooooo lol.

I'm really, really hoping he finds out some high-level player's been autoclicking for months from this or something and some big ingame drama comes of it.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
I was banned for being afk and just setting an alarm every hour, when I would just mash my finger on the screen till I saw a number. I wasn't reading chat where apparently he asked me if I was a bot (man, people not responding in an idle game).

I had just hit rank 19 woodchopping too. Oh well. Guess I don't get to be a pretty magical lumberjack princess anymore.

The devs and GMs in this game are out to get me.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Uhhhhhh okay that one maybe you should try to appeal/send an email for and explain what happened.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think they are on a witch hunt after finding someone scraping the man pages. Really if that is their bot check it would be trivial to have it make a sound on whisper and / or reply to them.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

neogeo0823 posted:

Every time you access a website the date/time, your IP and a lot of other stuff is saved to a file, giving info about what page you visited, when, to which page you went afterwards and so on.
If the crawler crawls stupidly, it's easily detectable.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I was banned for being afk and just setting an alarm every hour, when I would just mash my finger on the screen till I saw a number. I wasn't reading chat where apparently he asked me if I was a bot (man, people not responding in an idle game).

I had just hit rank 19 woodchopping too. Oh well. Guess I don't get to be a pretty magical lumberjack princess anymore.

Dude! Seriously, you failed the botcheck apparently multiple times. What did you think would happen if you do that too often?
Still hope you manage to come back to the game, we all miss you :(

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

pixaal posted:

I think they are on a witch hunt after finding someone scraping the man pages. Really if that is their bot check it would be trivial to have it make a sound on whisper and / or reply to them.

Actually, he's manually checking the logs. There's only something like 6700 users total that showed up in a wildcard search and something like 500 actually active users per week, so that's not that hard to do.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I shall fight for your honor..but if you lose I'm keeping your snail bux I was trying to sell.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Every time you access a website the date/time, your IP and a lot of other stuff is saved to a file, giving info about what page you visited, when, to which page you went afterwards and so on.
If the crawler crawls stupidly, it's easily detectable.

Dude! Seriously, you failed the botcheck apparently multiple times. What did you think would happen if you do that too often?
Still hope you manage to come back to the game, we all miss you :(

I did send an email explaining my side, however. Chances are they'll just ignore it.

I didn't think they were anal enough about their capcha system to ban people who couldn't be bothered to read it. Hell, I didn't even know scripting was banned until reading meowth's post. I figured all the high up guilds were doing that 24/7.

Edit: Yeah I'm glad I gave my snail bux away before being banned. At least they will go to use now.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
drama and unironic botting in a dumb idle clicker?

huh

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
haha i didnt read the rules so i just did whatever i assumed others were doing lol

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

haha i didnt read the rules so i just did whatever i assumed others were doing lol

Except I wasn't scripting. I was just referring to Meowth's comments about scripting. I just mashed the stupid captcha till it accepted it. But, whatever. Tree of Savior came out, so not exactly starved for entertainment right now.

And I assume you thoroughly read the Terms of Service in every game you play right Blazing? :bahgawd:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
What captcha are you even talking about that requires you to type? I haven't seen any captchas in this game, except for the ladybug/mushroom/etc. pictures.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Grumpy has spoken, My appeal for 0x16 was denied. :rip:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Virigoth posted:

The Grumpy has spoken, My appeal for 0x16 was denied. :rip:

Holy gently caress, what the hell is wrong with the mods in this game? I don't understand why they'd ban Ox16 for something so mundane, especially since he actually paid for snailbux. Talk about an overreaction (from the mods and dev, not Ox16).

Sorry Ox16, you blazed too hot and shined too brightly and got banned in an idle game, which I didn't even think was possible.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just added another 6 slots worth of extensions in Aeon Bay. Do we want to put up orchards there? I'll probably save my smokehouses for 2nd island for snake jerky.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

For the legends and record books my appeal for 0x16:

Hobo The Benevolent posted:

Hey Grumpy,

Looks like one of our guys got banned who wasn't actually botting (I think Arbitrary Number was botting like an idiot though). 0x16 was being lazy and just hitting the botcheck over and over until it worked when his timer went off. He posted on our forum we all came from letting us know:

I" was banned for being afk and just setting an alarm every hour, when I would just mash my finger on the screen till I saw a number. I wasn't reading chat where apparently he asked me if I was a bot."

I'd like to appeal his ban if possible as he was a rule abiding player who bought some snail bux and recently had to name change and was perfectly sane about it with the GM who asked him to do it.

Let me know or PM me when I'm not afk idling later tonight!

Hobo

Response:

El Grumpy posted:

They were using a bot or a macro to get their botchecks, which is a bannable offense. The ban will stick.

Thanks,
~Grumpy

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

That's some bullshit but it's probably not worth arguing over because we're already on thin ice for coming in as Goons, Ruiner of Games in a way that will almost definitely shift the game economy/what little metagame there is and ruffle the feathers of people who are used to feeling like the big dogs.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Horking Delight posted:

That's some bullshit but it's probably not worth arguing over because we're already on thin ice for coming in as Goons, Ruiner of Games in a way that will almost definitely shift the game economy/what little metagame there is and ruffle the feathers of people who are used to feeling like the big dogs.

And it will be glorious! :black101:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Welp, now there's nothing left but to dedicate the smoking corpse of their market structure to our fallen friend. :black101:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All will tremble under the weight of a horrible monster made out of pancakes! Or maybe I'm a normal monster made out of horrible tasting pancakes I'm not really sure.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Virigoth posted:

For the legends and record books my appeal for 0x16:

I hate to say it, but I'd have to side with Grumpy. "Randomly mashing a space until it works and not noticing a message to me" is a) a lame excuse and b) the noobist of all macros.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

nelson posted:

I hate to say it, but I'd have to side with Grumpy. "Randomly mashing a space until it works and not noticing a message to me" is a) a lame excuse and b) the noobist of all macros.

Goons gotta stick up for Goons. If 0x16 said he wasn't cheating I'm willing to take his word over the dev.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Assuming you'd just be able to fail a captcha as many times as you want is stupid, but so is expecting people to be watching the chat on an idle game at all times.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Doublepost with a question, do timers just go down naturally as you level? I'm reading the mining manual page and it looks like a pick can get you -8 and other gear can get you -7. A lot of that can't be equipped until you're really deep in anyway. Mana regen doesn't seem to be anywhere near high enough to keep buffs up.

People are talking about 20s timers and here I am with 50 seconds on everything, wondering how you're supposed to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Yes. Every 3 levels reduces the time by 1. Also they are probably wearing blue clothes (timer reduction) and you should too. Spells and food also reduce timers. The 20 number comes from that being the minimum.