Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Kluliss posted:

He was around at the beginning of the event and went 'hmm' and then got even grumpier when people pointed out that cider doesn't work, and hosed off back to his offline life. Which would be fine if he had anyone as backup to sort things out when he wasn't there. Never met a game like this that only had one person capable of playing god...

He was around last night and said he'd look at it this weekend. I think he's also in the middle of a marriage, move, and job change so I don't fault him for not being around as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

quote:

19:22:08 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : finally was able to trade SBs to *** for credits in another game.(ban me)
19:24:18 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : I'm going to log out now while if I log in in a week that means someone didn't report me

:rip: Chucky B

e:

quote:

19:34:35 [GM] Gix : I'll pass that along for you, Charles.
19:36:14 [GM] Gix : Reminder of a new rule: If anybody is caught attempting to trade in-game items for anything outside of the game (including but not limited to items and currencies in other games), their account will be banned.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 8, 2016

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Cider's up.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

We're soon about to have all 5 lightning spots that aren't on drifting isles covered with lightning shops. The one at celestial oasis we can't build until 75 carpentry, so that's not happening any time soon (plus 99% of the guild isn't going up that way yet anyway).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yay we're getting copals made...by Sal, of all people.

e: DO NOT MENTION THIS IN WORLD

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 21, 2016

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

oldskool posted:

new thread title: 17:57:55 fvicodin : You'd be amazed at what you can break your pants doing

Someone with PMs send this to a mod to get it changed (if it's not too long).

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Amaranthine: You'd be amazed at what you can break your pants doing

Looks a bit long. Maybe:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Amaranthine: You'd be amazed how you can break your pants

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

In other news:

And Senso's about to drop off another 3k. Use it!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

We do need a few more mid to high level smiths/carpenters, but those in that range have been progressing rather nicely on their own so I haven't seen any need to encourage anyone.

Similarly we have a few new up-and-coming cooks who are doing a good job of boiling down our huge piles of fish/shellfish. And a few new alchemists as well.

The problem is everything STILL bottlenecks on gathering - herbs for the alchemists, peppers for the cooks, berries for dyes for clothes. This month (and next) with a pumpkin being equivalent to an entire cherry pie of course we're going to be deep into gathering right now.

Unless we go all five-year plan and perfectly plan every action everyone does, there's going to be ups and downs in our supply and demand. But every time we've needed something, people will eventually step up to fix the problem.

btwchopmorespruce

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

quote:

23:16:59 LilAlYouAllKnow: Cone?
23:17:05 LilAlYouAllKnow: From Amar?
23:17:11 Aversin[Ashia]: Cones yeah
23:17:13 3x0du5[Home]: Nelgite doesn't sound like an ore to me
23:17:26 LilAlYouAllKnow: Hell NO!
23:17:33 LilAlYouAllKnow: have you seen em in Amar?
23:17:36 LilAlYouAllKnow: NO!
23:17:43 LilAlYouAllKnow: I dont wanna b part of that stuff.
23:17:44 Aversin[Ashia]: A bunchbof them just joined abput 2 hours ago
23:17:56 LilAlYouAllKnow: imagine my old self times 50 times worse
23:18:04 LilAlYouAllKnow: dont trust em
23:18:08 LilAlYouAllKnow: sly bastards
23:18:12 3x0du5[Home]: I think Nelgite sounds more like some a type of bird
23:18:18 LilAlYouAllKnow: Welp, see ya all.
23:18:19 Aversin[Ashia]: I only played amar for about 2 weeks last july
23:18:29 Execution[MAD]: Australian bird
23:18:32 LilAlYouAllKnow: Hope to play again later
Barraiya logged in
LilAlYouAllKnow logged out

We didn't even say anything.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Grumpy just confirmed that beta combat will eventually have classes:

e: There's more

pre:
16:40:45 Grumpy Aspersa : but yes, leather caps will have a use once classes come out for combat
16:41:03 airemana LPF : oh thank you so much for the info... I store them 
16:41:03 Phantom Purple : and spectral stuff?
16:41:26 JoveS Fool : yeah you can mask as a Phantom
16:41:35 JoveS Fool : be like BOO
16:41:39 Gypsy Fool : 
16:41:41 Phantom Purple :  who needs a mask JoveS?
16:41:42 Grumpy Aspersa : yup!  and same for spectral stuff, that'll be part of the sorcerer clothing

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Obviously it's not dropping tomorrow (we'll probably be lucky to get a christmas event that isn't just a reskin of last year's) but it's more of a heads up to maybe not sell off all of the non-warrior combat gear as you make it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Magugu posted:

Invite for Bolo Manalo.

Sent.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't even think any of us had talked in world in the past hour, this just happened.

e:

Xerol fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 1, 2016

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If anyone ever feels the need to ask "what's up with Charles" this just about sums it up

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Christmas event is here - Make sure to keep your RD bonuses burned down, people will be buying them in bulk soon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

code:
21:32:35 Xerol : ENJOY
21:32:38 Xerol added 1 Silver Birthday Suit to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:39 Xerol added 8 Festive Boots to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:40 Xerol added 10 Festive Coats to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:41 Xerol added 9 Festive Hats to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:42 Xerol added 17 Festive Gloves to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:43 Xerol added 18 Festive Pants to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:44 Xerol added 17 Festive Scarves to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:46 Xerol added 1 Paper Crown to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:48 Xerol added 9 Sparkly Festive Scarves to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:50 Xerol added 12 Sparkly Festive Pants to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:52 Xerol added 7 Sparkly Festive Hats to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:55 Xerol added 16 Sparkly Festive Gloves to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:57 Xerol added 11 Sparkly Festive Coats to Gear / Consumables.
21:32:59 Xerol added 8 Sparkly Festive Boots to Gear / Consumables.
If you need festive gear, I dropped off my personal stash.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bonuses are being bought. Burn them all!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It is, and he publically admitted he has no logging whatsoever (back when the js chat injection was running rampant).

He's so far off from what actually happened, too, thinks it has something to do with the database and negative numbers.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So, no superiors. You get coins (2-4 per stocking, 100% guaranteed random drop) for each stocking, and those can get exchanged at the event shops in the same place you open stockings. 3 coins for a regular festive, 6 coins for a sparkly festive, and 12 coins for a dazzling festive. Dazzling is a new modifier that gives +4 spell duration and -1 timer. There's basically no reason not to exchange for as many dazzling items as you can, and if you have coins left over, drop them in AB so we can combine the leftovers to get more stuff.

These basically take over as the best casting set (unless you enjoyed 16 timer casts at high enough magic level, with snail gear) giving +29 minutes in a full set (+4 per piece, and +5 more from the gloves' base effect). The scarf, boots, and hat are especially important to have as dazzling since they'll give -1 timer all the drat time, in addition to giving their normal festive effects (-crowding (meh), 10% DD, 100% RD). Since you'll probably be wearing clothes in the other slots most of the time, you might want to weigh your trade-in more heavily towards hats, scarves, and boots. But pick up at least 2 full sets for casting.

Break rates: 0.001% base rate, but sparkly/dazzling counts as a modification so halve that to 0.0005%. That would mean about 200k actions on average between breakages. If wearing the full set for whatever reason, and you play 12 hours a day, at min timer, you'll break one thing about every 16 days. That means worst case you'll break about 24 things over the course of the year, or 4 of each, so getting 5 of each should last you to next christmas. I kept 6 sets of each for myself and dropped the rest in the guild storage, I recommend others do the same so people who weren't around for the event or future-joinees can have some.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

In spreadsheet news, I made a combat calculator!

Make a copy for yourself to try it out. There's a few things I'm not happy with, like the RNG assumptions I had to make to fit everything in a reasonable amount of space. I also don't have complete data on how many enemies you fight at a time, which will affect the output slightly (especially when it comes to damage taken). This is also only for beta combat (e.g. no strength stat, no skills). The XP/hr it spits out should be a minimum (unless you're oneshotting everything), since it assumes you always do minimum damage, and of course it's an average, so given hours you might end up with slightly more or less depending on how the enemy evasion RNG works out for you.

So yeah try it out, help me find improvements, etc.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

After briefly getting banned from google sheets due to trying to copy-paste too many values, Combat Calculator v3 is ready! It now does a simulation of 500 one-on-one combats with each enemy, to get a more accurate estimate of how much you should be killing things. It breaks down a bit if you're doing more than about 15 combat rounds on average to kill something, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Also check the guild forums, I've made some progress on the superior rate research.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm working through updating the OP since a lot of the stuff was from almost a year ago when we had almost no levels in anything and needed noobs to pick up the slack. Now that we're pretty well established I'd like to update it with starting guides for each skill, just a short blurb on why you should pick that skill and what's the best way to get started in it. Woodcutting, mining, fishing probably don't need much of a guide for the first few levels (I'm basically thinking a guide up to about level 20, then they can figure it out from there), but the production skills in particular can be a bit intimidating with all their options.

I'll put these guides in the OP when they're all filled out, but for now please help fill out this document. Key things to add: Equipment, buffs, recommended actions (perhaps with emphasis on guild needs), locations, and keep weight limits in mind since new players will have pretty low capacity.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So we're kind of low on spare easter pendants. If you have golden eggs I'd like it if everyone went and got one extra and put it in storage.

I think the Amar Birthday event got skipped over this year (it was mid-January in previous years) but we should be having a valentine's event coming up soon, which means RD bonuses will probably be bought, so keep yourselves under 12 or so.

Finally, we're starting to run low on kites, so if you've got 30 fishing now's a good time to pull up some stingrays.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Fishing/Gathering does contribute to reducing meat mountain, through [[ items | bacon wrapped trout ]] and [[ items | stuffed peppers ]]. The key parts to this are:

1) Fishing trout whenever possible.
2) Growing basil and garlic. Tune your herb garden usage so you get about as much basil per day as you get trout, and fill the rest with garlic (which should be greater than the amount of basil).
3) Growing peppers. Stuffed peppers also require tomatoes, but there's always a 2:1 ratio of peppers to tomatoes needed in every dish that uses them, and hiking in DF gives equal numbers of peppers and tomatoes. Therefore growing peppers is required to balance the items out.

We've got a small pile of other projects to take care of first but we're going to have a project to demolish meat mountain pretty soon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Got some details on the upcoming extensions overhaul:

• One "extension" per type, accessible anywhere on the island where that type is exclusive to (Grumpy's undecided on what to do with Orchards, Distilleries, and Smokehouses)
  • All your current extensions of a type will have their experience pooled, in general it seems you will have fewer slots overall than before.
  • More starting slots, more slots per level (Grumpy teased 50 + 15 for herb gardens), probably much more XP needed per level (or a smaller multiplier)
  • Permissions will be strictly on/off, individual level only (no guild / bulk add permissions). But at most 14 things to add players to (one per extension type) - more likely 4-6 is what most people will have to deal with (herb, veggie, still, orchard)
  • Permissions interface will make it easier to bulk-add though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finally got a chance to test out the bonus effect from gilded tools (private beta only). It's nice.

Also here's a couple more of the new features:

Top left: New one-click travel system. Select any town and you'll automatically travel along all the actions required.
Middle: Action menu now shows how many actions you can do and what materials they take. Should reduce manual lookups a little bit. Also when you're doing the action you get a little mini-menu in the upper right of the action area that shows how many actions you have left.

-------------------

Guild news:
-August project will be tools. Going to calculate out worst-case scenarios of break rates/XP and get our stocks up to having enough to get 100 people to max level in each skill.
-Also during August we're going to stock up on apples and pumpkins (can't really wait around for the extensions update any more at this point) and have a recruitment drive for the harvest events.
-September/October is mostly going to be all about the apples, pumpkins, ciders, and ales. November I was thinking we get RD% stuff up in anticipation of the Christmas event.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Gave the OP a much-needed overhaul in preparation for our fall newbie drive. Tried to keep it short this time. If anyone can take a cleanish screenshot of the "back to town" screen in AB for inclusion, that would help because I'm in the private beta and a lot of things got moved around so it wouldn't be helpful for new players.

e: Also I'd like to get a title change but don't have any good ideas right now.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I have no idea what you're talking about.

it was like 3 am and I was editing it while playing rocket league okay

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ovo posted:

Can I grab an invite to WovoYovo? This looks looks bizarre and my I've run out of new idle-ish games!

Sent.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So the clothing update hit. TLDR: It's poo poo right now. T2 and T3 may actually be better than old clothes, but aren't implemented yet. Grumpy said a week, I'll give it two. If it's not showing up by Christmas I'm probably done with this game too.

A few people quit over this, and with other quittings happening and also other games we play I set up a discord so we can keep in touch and all that fun stuff.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

:rip: Magic

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The new action modal is really nice (shows your timer, effective success (so you don't have to calculate between level-based and effect bonus), and XP) and the travel system lets you go anywhere in one click (still takes multiple actions).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

After chatting with grumpy about how new storages will work for a bit yesterday, I'm basically thinking we'll build new ones where we would have free slots if we converted our old ones over 1:1, but leave the old ones as-is until the conversion tool is available. Basically that means building 3 new storages in Northern, 1 in Torrid, and 1 in DI. They're going to be one slot per island location like new houses, so we'll have to consolidate our AB storages a bit. Probably just merge all the cooking-related ones together, then have one for gear, one for consumables, one for mining/smithing, one for carpentry/woodcutting, and one for everything else (alchemy / tailoring / defunct items). It's also seeming likely that new storages will be linear increase per material added so we're going to have a pretty big woodcutting/mining/carpentry project coming up soon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's also a channel in the discord for it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It was in the OP just buried, I've unburied it now.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Easter event is up!

Consumables are always awful in these things, get 960 eggs to get 20 bunnies and upgrade them all to 5 of the modified superiors. IMO best investment is grow time, there's easy ways to get spell duration (although more is always better, so buy one if you want to), capacity is almost certainly not worth it.

If you get over 960 eggs please consider redistributing them to other goons who can't play all weekend. Event ends at reset on Monday (8pm EDT), shop stays open for another week and change. If you haven't played in a while at least check in after Monday to see if there's extra eggs we can trade in, since the limits are per-account.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

First, get one of each piece of gear: 1 ring, 1 bracelet, 1 pendant. Update outfits as appropriate.

After that I'd get a good stock of bracelets and a few more rings.

Pendant is mostly useful when casting, so you should only need a couple of them, unless your max mana is really low and/or you like saving up for big cast batches. This is probably a little more useful to have on all the time now that easter pendants are not required for golden eggs.

Rings are in the "nice to have" category, but there's not really anything better to put in the ring slot.

Bracelets are still OP compared to any other bracelet, so you want a lot of those.

If you plan on wearing the pendant all the time, I'd go with a ratio of around 2 to 3 to 4 pendants:rings:bracelets. If you're only going to use it while casting, something closer to 1:4:5 would be ideal. The breakrate is really low on everything and you should have no problem getting enough gear to last the year if you cycle your gardens on time.

Houses are trash, unless you have a really pressing need. There's not really anything in the game that can make use of all the effects of the house together, and also remember that 100% DD means you'll actually be using up 2 actions of the house per timer cycle, so it is basically a 20 minute buff (unless you use it on something where the -60 timer doesn't get you to 20). And if using it with 15 min timer, it lasts 15 minutes. The cumulative effect of wearing a bracelet+ring over its expected lifetime adds up to way more than the house gives. That said, if you've got like 50+ of each piece of equipment, that should more than last the year and if you still have dough to spend it can't hurt to have a couple around for...something. Still can't think of a good use case for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I've just been making cheese for the past 3 months and not really pushing hard at anything and we're still going up so I don't really know what that says about anything.