Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

oh

Ruggan fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Horking Delight posted:

Convert break chance from percent to decimal form first (1% -> .01):

Expected actions per item: 1/(break chance)
If break chance is .1%, this is 1000.

Chance item doesn't break in N tries: (1 - break chance)^N
If break chance is .1% and you use it 1000 times, your chances of still having it at the end are .368, or just under 37%.

The more items in your stack you have, the more strongly the average number of actions per break approaches the expectation.

is this the math threa??D?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

the lucifer project with te nuclear space probe sent to bomb saturn into a seond sun

-Webbit, 04/20/2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah ATF is a sinking ship lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The Shortest Path posted:

There isn't actually anything in the rules about that, so I have to wonder.

I point blank asked Grumpy a few weeks back how he felt about guild infiltrations and he said strongly against. I would not be surprised if you got banned for doing this intentionally. The other guild might even get their stuff back.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MooCowlian posted:

Rule of thumb, as with most things, is probably "if you have to ask, maybe don't get caught?"

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

why the weird spider web instead of something simpler like a bar graph?

that graph creates "areas" that present misleading info... for instance, if speed and gathering were adjacent, they'd make a much greater "area" for gray than how they're currently set up

not a big deal, just wondering what led you to that vis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gwrtheyrn posted:

The area and even the axis scales don't matter. It makes it easy to see that we're getting more xp than other guilds in most skills. With bars you'd have a harder time seeing that at a glance since you'd either have to look at every set of bars or be really confused with stacked bars. See wikipedia on radar charts. The light grey coloring for slumber is awful though

http://peltiertech.com/spider-chart-alternatives posted:

Radar charts are not very effective, despite their frequent appearance where scores in a set of categories are being compared. Their radial nature gives more emphasis to larger values toward the outside of the chart. If there are any zero values, the chart can become very difficult to read:

https://uncorkedstudios.com/blog/visualizing-alignment-with-radar-charts posted:

The combination of data that is plotted along spokes and the color fill that is applied back towards the center make the visual information about area instead of length. The area inside a chart of all 10’s (in the rs mode) should approach 100 pi (pi r^2). The area inside a chart of all nines only diminished by 10% for each vote. However, the visual representation of area is 81 pi, which is 19% less than the area of All 10’s. And All 5’s is a miserable 25 pi, 75% less than All 10’s. The visual weight tends towards the larger numbers, and the low numbers, while noticeable at times, speak very quietly in an area format.

http://blog.scottlogic.com/2011/09/23/a-critique-of-radar-charts.html posted:

Therefore, barring occlusion, comparing values for a single variable between series is straightforward and relatively effortless since it merely consists of assessing their position along a line, something we are able to do without any thought.

Yea, except comparing single variable values is also easy to do in something simpler, like a bar or line chart...

https://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/dmreview/radar_graphs.pdf posted:

Radar graphs are more difficult to read than bar and line graphs, so you should avoid them except in circumstances when they offer clear advantages that offset the disadvantages. Most people use them gratuitously, but here are three reasons that I've either heard or personally considered as potential justifications for using them:
• The data consists of multiple measures that require different quantitative scales, which a bar graph cannot accommodate.
• The objective of the graph is to assess the symmetry of the values rather than to compare their magnitudes.
• The data fits a circular display because it is intuitively circular in nature or by convention.

Even the wikipedia page lists a huge number of limitations.

I get that this is getting kinda :goonsay: and ultimately I don't really care but I just think spider charts are generally bad visualizations... not trying to poo poo on Chunjee though