Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
For what it's worth, here's my Guide To Having Fun And Being Productive In Amaranthine:

1) Create character, join guild
2) Find out what sort of production the guild might need - woodcutting for logs, mining for ores, gathering for plants and poo poo
3) Go do that
4) Open Stardew Valley, play that for a while
5) Try to remember to alt-tab back over to the browser every half hour or so for the botcheck
6) Drop off the stuff you produced in guild storage
6a) alternately, turn the poo poo you produced into other poo poo the guild might need
7) wash, rinse, repeat

As an example, I showed up and said "Hey, what do we need?" I was told "we always need logs," so I grabbed hatchets and cut logs. Then I learned "Hey we're putting together ingredients for this massive cooking project, we need a fuckload of wooden bowls," so I grabbed some chisels and carved those logs into wooden bowls. I'm the third-best carpenter in the guild now thanks almost entirely to wooden bowls. I carved something like 8.5k bowls. All of this I did while expending virtually zero effort and while feeding quartz to a pixel-person until she agreed to marry me and move to my farm and water my crops every couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

As this has come up a few times in Guild Chat - the general consensus is that you really should spend your first few days in the game loving around and trying out different skills to see which ones interest you. Don't get locked in to mining or woodcutting only to learn later that you'd rather be gathering, or poo poo like that. There'll be time to specialize; for now, just chill and do you.

(fake edit: Or "what Virigoth said")

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm betting "the manual was being opened to a hundred different pages by the same IP at the same time" is precisely what someone was doing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Something that's come up a bit in Guild Chat is people saying "But how does this low-level busywork that I, as a newbie, am doing actually help the Guild out?" People want to feel like they're contributing, after all. So here, by Skill, are the most common low-level actions for each skill and how they help The Greater Goon Good.

Alchemy: Crushing Blue and Red Powder, available at Level 1, is critical. Each is used in potions - potions you'll be able to start brewing yourself at higher levels - that enhance the success and effectiveness of other skills. By crushing powders you are making our miners better, and our woodcutters better, and our cooks better, and our hikers better. You make everyone better.

Carpentry: at level 1 you're making Cherry Handles, which are required to create more iron tools - you know, the poo poo we use to do all the low-level actions? - and whittling parchment, which is used in alchemy and spellbook-making. Literally every other skill in the game depends on you being able to do these things.

Combat: not only is it the closest thing to engaging realtime gameplay that Amaranthine has to offer, Combat at the lowest levels - killing bunnies and owls - gets us animal hides that the tailors need and raw meat that the cooks need. Some of the game's most critical mid-game items depend on you having gotten us a supply of these things - critically, spellbooks require animal hides. So do the Bota Bags that water our gardens. You supply the materials we need to keep fed and strong.

Cooking: at level 1 basically all you can do is cook fish. Guess what? Cooked fish are essentially healing potions. They keep our combatants alive when they're in trouble. Down the road you'll be crafting meals that will make every skill in the game go faster and more successfully, but even at level one you keep our fighting men and women alive.

Fishing: What'd I just say about fish? You keep our fighting men and women alive. To say nothing of all the cool stuff you can fish up at higher levels!

Gathering: Holy poo poo Gathering. Down the road you'll be able to help gather from our Extensions, giving us control over what we grow and how much of it we have, which is absolutely critical. But even at level one, you're gathering mushrooms. You make our Alchemists more able to help every single profession in the game including yours.

Magic: ...okay, magic at level 1 sucks. Magic just plain sucks. Magic is slow and is limited by your mana. But if you work at it, Magic will make every single other skill in the game better by giving you the ability to cast buff spells on yourself - and, at higher levels, on others.

Mining: At level 1 you're mining Iron Ore/ We cannot make iron tools without iron ore. Almost every other skill in the game is useless without you providing the materials we need to make tools.

Smithing: You make Iron Ingots. Iron Ingots are used to make Iron Tools. At the risk of repeating myself, almost every other skill in the game depends on you making the tools required to actually use those skills.

Speed: Yes, even hiking around helps the guild! How? Hiking lets you find various produce and plants in the forest, which are critical, because we can't plant extensions without having the stuff we want to plant. Plus hiking is a great source of personal XP which is added to our Guild XP which gets us on the leaderboards so we can point and laugh at other guilds. You supply the materials we need to run our gardens and make awesome food, which helps literally every other skill in the game.

Tailoring: ...okay, at level 1 all you can make is Twine and leather hats, and Twine sucks. I'll give you that. But if you work at it, you'll be making bota bags and clothing items and things we need. No italics for this one; twine sucks. Sorry, tailors. But keep at it anyways, because the rest of the game can't exist without you.

Woodcutting: Holy poo poo woodcutting. Even bringing a handful of logs to Guild Storage and dumping them in is an enormous help, because drat near every production skill needs logs or something derived from logs. Cooks need logs. Carpenters need a fuckload of logs. Smiths need logs. Alchemists need parchment, which is made from logs. Houses need logs. Everything loving needs logs.

A lot of the discussion in Guild Chat tends to focus on longer-term goals. "We want more blue clothes," for instance. And at low levels, there's precisely dick you can do to help us get blue clothes, really. But don't let that discourage you. Everything you do helps. When the higher-level players tell you "Just gently caress around for your first week or so and find the skills you want to specialize in," it's not said because no one wants to give you direction; it's because there is virtually nothing you can do that will not provide immediate and concrete assistance to the Guild. Everything you do helps all of us. Find your niche and we'll help you find a long-term goal, but don't ever think that all you're doing in the meantime is busywork. It's not. You really do help.

Grab some iron gear - don't feel bad about taking it, that's what it's in the storage for - and go out and Do poo poo, secure in the knowledge that you genuinely are contributing. Yes, even as a brand-new level one character, you are contributing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Invites sent to Archie and ReindeerFlotilla. I didn't even know I had invite permissions, this is great.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Captain Melo posted:

In as rebelEpik. I feel like I'm just going to waste away days chopping trees. Can I get an invite?

Taken care of.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Your First Week In Amaranthine

So there's been some talk of putting together a simple "Your First Week" guide. For many players, your first week really ought to be "do the poo poo Horking Delight talked about, then gently caress around and try a bunch of things for a week until you find yourself a niche that appeals to you." However, some players need more concrete goals, more substantial directions. And that's okay! So I whipped up a few different Simple Plans, each focused around a different Amar "career path," for you to choose from.

Before I start, some general advice: Some people have expressed hesitance when it comes to swiping iron tools and gear from guild storage in order to get started out. As it was explained to me using an EVE reference, "Iron gear is basically Rifters. It's cheap for us and good for you. Go take a Rifter and rat trees."

Also, you're going to want to check out the Manual Page for Skills; the manual for Amaranthine is actually hella useful. Reading through the Manual pages for your chosen skill(s) is really handy, as it will give you a sense of your progression.

WoodGoons
Get hatchets, chop trees. Chop lots and lots of trees. Chop cherry trees until you hit Woodcutting 6, which will allow you to chop pine trees; pine drops 1-3 logs per action as opposed to the 1-2 logs other varieties of trees drop. At this point you have a choice - you can specialize in Woodcutting, knowing that you have the simplest gameplay progression of all time - chop trees, bring logs to guild storage, wash, rinse, repeat. The first buff spell available to you, at Magic 2, is Wild Growth, which allows you to reduce your woodcutting timer, so your Magic is immediately useful right from the beginning. Also everyone will love you because they can use their crafting skills without having to take breaks to chop their own wood. Also, people leveling Magic can cast a woodcutting buff on others before they can cast any other buffs on others - which means people will be happy to buff you if you ask in chat, because everyone wants Magic XP and helping you level faster is a great way to earn it.

Alternately, you can decide to become a Carpenter. I'm a Carpenter, Carpentry is awesome. Grab some chisels from guild storage. Take some of your fresh-chopped logs - the variety does not matter - and go to Cadenberge and turn them into parchment. Do this until you hit Carpentry 5, at which point you should switch to wooden bowls. If you feel guilty about the number of iron tools you've been grabbing and breaking, you can carve up a few cherry handles as well, though those specifically require cherry logs. You'll be focusing on lower-level things for a while, with occasional detours into handles and fishing rods as guild supply demands; your long-term goal is to reach Carpentry 20, at which point Oak Barrels become a thing.

MetalGoons
Get pickaxes, mine ore. Mine lots and lots of ore. If you're looking to main Mining, your progression is going to be simple - you get new things to mine every so often, go mine them. Your buff spell comes at Magic 4. Be warned - when you progress to mining Stone Blocks at Mining 5, the blocks re heavy as hell and will fill your carrying capacity rapidly, which will make your timer go up. Drop them off regularly. Demand for blocks isn't huge, so it may be better to stick mostly with mining out iron ore until Mining 10.

If you want to become a Smith once you've gotten sick of digging up ore, cool! Make ingots. Once you have ingots, make iron tools. Newbies need iron tools! Your goal is to hit Smithing 13, which will allow you to make all of the iron tools and all of the iron Combat equipment. Also at Smithing 9 you can make bottles out of sandstone, and bottles are in nigh-constant demand.

FarmGoons
To farm in Extensions, the skill you want to level is Gathering. Extensions are critical to our ongoing food supply. So you want to Look For Mushrooms until you hit Gathering 3, at which point you should move to the Pasture and start collecting Eggs. Once you're at Gathering 5, you can grab some empty Bota Bags and start filling them with water; Filled Bota Bags are used to stock orchard Extensions, so they're pretty big. It's hard to structure a definitive "this is the path you should follow" guideline for Gathering, because literally everything you can do, even at low levels, is useful to someone! Long-term you want to main Gathering until Gathering 15, at which point you can harvest in every extension type in the first island, as well as find mushrooms, find eggs, collect honey, and milk cows.

FightGoons
Talk to HoboLoafers. Say "Hey Hobo I want to kill things, what should I do?" Do what HoboLoafers tells you. I haven't done combat so I'm not going to comment directly on it but he's our combat guru. One thing that I've seen come up again and again in chat is that you really should not feel bad about grabbing armor and weapons from guild storage. Seriously, they got made and put there specifically for you to pick up and use! Also, pay attention to the next bit -

FashionGoons
Many of our combatants tend to st least take a look at Tailoring, because combat is how we get the hides that our tailors use. You don't have to be a murderer to be a tailor, but, as the saying goes, it sure helps! Make Leather Armor - caps at first with more recipes opening up as you go - at first until you hit Tailoring 6. Once you are at Tailoring 6, learn to love the Bota Bag. We always need Bota Bags. ALWAYS. Make all the Bota Bags. Also, don't make Twine. Twine is terrible.

ChefGoons
Being a Cook should, IMHO, be a secondary skill rather than something you main, but that's as things stand currently; it may well turn out that we need a full-time cook down the line as our food needs increase.

Anyways, if you wanna be a Cook, here's what you do. Grab some bass from the stores, or fish some up yourself. Cook bass until you hit Cooking 3. Actually cook bass for a while, as bass is usually in demand, but whatever. Once you're at Cooking 3 you can make Flour by crushing nuts. This is a pain in the rear end, as I can attest from having just been doing it for some time. 10 nuts can be crushed into 1 flour. When you grab nuts, grab acorns, pine nuts, and chestnuts; leave the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds alone unless and until someone says "Wow, we have way too many sunflower seeds" or whatever. Do that until Cooking 8 (unless you want to cook Sunfish and Halfmoons at Cooking 6, but that means more Fishing; that's okay if you want to do it! Alternate route!), at which point you can cook Raw Meat.

We have a giant mountain of raw meat for you to cook. Your limiting factor is going to be logs, so this might not be a bad time to get some woodcutting in; let's not strain our woodcutters too much, right? Cook as much as you want. You want a Challenge (tm)? Make that challenge "cook all the Raw Meat in the storage." Because holy poo poo there is a lot of it. Anyways, if you're not up for that challenge, once you're at Cooking 10 you can Prepare Pine Cones, which involves turning pine cones into pine nuts. It is slow and tedious and absolutely necessary to keep us in flour. Feel free to grab pine cones in batches of 1000 or more, as we have a ton of those, too. Pine Cones are the Rite of Passage, so to speak; once you've crushed cones, you'll be ready to cook Real Food.

ChemistGoons
Alchemy advice is going to wait until I can talk to someone who actually does Alchemy. Sorry!

E: I am told "Crush mushrooms until Alchemy 4, then make every potion that isn't Healing Potions. Healing Potions are rear end, never bother making them. Once you get to Alchemy 10 you can start crushing salt, which is the Guild's primary moneymaker at the moment." Yay teamwork!

WizardGoons
Okay, that's kind of a joke; you can't really main Magic, as it's limited by MP. So this is general advice for any and all Goons. Time spent at Max MP is time wasted. Always be spending mana, either by casting or by summoning runes. Is this super-important? Well, not really. But the thing is, Magic is the only skill in the game where you can't set yourself up to do it for hours on end; if you want to level woodcutting, you can grab a stack of axes and just go chopping, only checking back in every half an hour to pass the botcheck. If you want to level Magic, you can only do as much as your mana pool allows, and that poo poo regenerates slow (1 point per 5 minutes; once you hit Magic 5 you can equip spellbooks and get it up to 2 points per 5 minutes, which still sucks). Do the Hooded Stranger Quest in Aeon Bay, because even though it's a pain in the rear end and you'll hate it, the rewards are Good (tm).

All of the above is subject to revision as I hear from more people who can point out all the ways I doubtless hosed it up, but hopefully it'll be a good starting point for new players who are looking to find some more direction.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 2, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tyshalob posted:

Can Elrondhubbard get an invite? Also I messed up and did the wrong starter quest. Where can I get hatchets?

Invite is sent. When you get into the guild say something in chat so you can get hooked up with guild storage permissions; we've got plenty of hatchets for you to use.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pine Log Crowding Trip Report: Instead of griefing people by making it harder for them to cut down trees we ended up essentially creating a pro-pinecone religion in world chat. This way was better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Unguided posted:

Looking for an invite as Ungus Fungus.

sent!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nova88 posted:

Joined as Novanex

And sent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So with the new woodcutting update, most of our woodcutters have moved on to oak. Which is great! But we still need a bunch of pine, and pine handles.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Virigoth posted:

Dear DivineCoffeeBinge,

I'm sorry.

Love,

Hobo.

On the one hand I'm all "Augh I just spent the last week and a half prepping up to be ready to make Cherry Cobblers and now they don't exist and the replacement food I could have cooked weeks ago augh" but on the other I'm more like "Holy poo poo the pubbie tears make it all worth it and besides my extension-planning worked out to position me perfectly for this shift I am okay with this."

I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives here. Now I can get back to concentrating on Carpentry!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

quote:

00:56:05 From Your Wickedness : Nah, you won't win any drama race, Cowboy has that covered I was in his guild, I've also known him like 10 yrs
00:57:15 To Your Wickedness : We may not have anyone as drama-laden as Cowboy (for which I'm not sad...), but I figure we'll make up for it in sheer volume.
00:58:20 From Your Wickedness : Well I'm glad y'all aren't like he is, 1 of him is plenty
01:07:24 To Your Wickedness : I like to think that we're pretty low-drama. The dram comes to us, we don't spread it around to others. ....often. I mean, okay, 70 active members there's bound to be one or two yahoos, but still.
01:09:35 From Your Wickedness : Y'all are nothing compared to Cowboy, trust me...He causes ruckus in guild alot, talks poo poo about players alot- Always brags about the guild being the best because of the ppl in it blah blah, it's like a broken record and that
01:16:07 To Your Wickedness : I've... gotten that impression. It hasn't been entirely positive, truth to tell. But, hey, to each their own.
01:16:43 To Your Wickedness : I can't deny that certain members of my guild are gleefully anticipating the day when we pass ATF on the highscore list just to see what he does. Ahem.
01:17:56 From Your Wickedness : Hehe, he'll go bonkers No, he's not all that positive, he puts on a show He'll talk poo poo in guild while talking all nice out here and bragging endlessly
01:18:38 From Your Wickedness : Like I came here to visit Fool because it used to be my home, and when I was in other guilds, I visited often as a vacation away from the guilds Well he didn't like that something happened in another game so told me f u and not to
01:18:49 From Your Wickedness : back there ever again, that I'd never be welcome again, all because of something in another game
01:18:56 From Your Wickedness : THAT is how awful he can and usually is

Your reminder that passing ATF on the Guild Highscores List will be arguably the best thing we could do, not just for us, but for the game as a whole.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

I'm in :) So I can extend my farming and gathering Autism from WoW into his afk browser game and will focus on gathering, wood cutting, fishing and hiking I think. I am glad when others focus on prodiction, I am another Goon Peon then that collects the raw stuff.
Can I "play" this game just buy leverling all gathering skills Or do I need to be a lvl 8 tailor to lvl hiking 10 or sth like that?

None of the skills are dependent on each other to gather XP. They way they interlock is that is you want to level, say, Carpentry by making Oak Barrels you need oak logs (which require Woodcutting) and iron ingots (which require mining and smithing) to get. If someone else gets them for you, mind, you can carpenter away to your heart's content without ever giving a poo poo about those other skills.

I'm one of the top carpenters we have and I gained my first smithing XP yesterday. It's no big.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Chunjee posted:

Another good reason to go Combat. Plunder pubbies belongings without getting banned. Nice Haul.

The amazing part is that the only way that that can happen is if someone dies in combat... and in the beta interface, you literally can't die in combat. So it's someone who's good at the game and has been playing for a while who never bothered to switch over to the beta. It's beautiful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mrit posted:

I'll try it out. I'm Mrit.

invite is sent!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

an iksar monk posted:

Trying this out, in game name is Zekn

chaosbreather posted:

I'm in, as Rotary Public

Invites sent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Citycop posted:

In as Blackburdtx

Invite sent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

floor is lava posted:

In as Floorislava.

sent!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I am making wooden bowls, because gently caress it, I can. Cut more wood so I can make more bowls.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

We have a couple carpenters within a week or so of being able to make aurora bracelets if they work at it, for what that's worth. I have no idea how hard to get Agates are.

A week or so would be pretty optimistic, but Carpentry Squad is getting there, yes, slowly but surely.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ratzap posted:

I know I'll regret this but I made an account. In as Ozzy.

Invite sent!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Marxalot posted:

gently caress it, in as Marxalot.

I'm currently picking shrooms in a forest.

Invite is sent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ChubbyPitbull posted:

In as ChubbyPitbull. Idle Ho!

invite sent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Could someone go over the whole extensions thing? What are they for, why do I need them, which ones are useful? Do they benefit me or the guild? Do they require upkeep? Can they be changed? Should I build more than 1 house or is it a waste of wood?

Here's how Extensions work.

When you build a house, you also get a little plot of land off to one side that you can build extensions on. Bigger the house, bigger the plot, so more extensions.

Extensions are, essentially, renewable resource generators. You plant a resource and grow more over the course of several hours. Gardens for plants, orchards for fruit trees, et cetera. You prepare your extension with seeds or fruit or veggies or meat (for smokehouses) or whatever, and you wait for a bit, and then when the timer fires you can harvest the extension and get yourself a buncha poo poo. Then you replant the extension and start over again. Over time your extensions gain levels, which allows you to plant and thus harvest even bigger numbers of poo poo.

They can be changed, but only within a particular extension type - that is to say, you can swap out a cherry orchard for an apple orchard, but you can't swap it out for a field of sunflowers because sunflowers go in vegetable gardens, not orchards.

They benefit you because you can go and get a bunch of stuff from them; they can benefit the guild if you share your extensions with guild members so they can harvest stuff while you're busy chopping wood or whatever.

Those are extensions. They let you grow things. Growing things is a much more dependable and usually more lucrative way of getting particular resources than going off to do other things and hoping wildly that the thing you want drops.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I just want to know who this pubbie was so we can add them to the flipped their poo poo Goon Victory list.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Horking Delight posted:

It was Maverick (or something else that starts with an M) in ATF.

Ah, ATF. That explains it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Moose_Knuck posted:

I'd like to watch numbers with ya'll. In as BigMoose.

sent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Beware world chat. It is full of eugenics advocates.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

tolaziforname posted:

Trying this out: WyreSkeleton.

Time to chop some logs.

Spyde posted:

In as Spyde if I could get an invite.

Invites sent. Press butan.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I've used something like 5000 larch logs in the past 24 hours so yeah more larch is good

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dropbear posted:

In as Dropbear, toss me an invite if you still have space for a new guy completely lost in this thing.

sent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This looks like the correct amount of effort for me to play.

In as Nuclearmonkee.

sent press butan

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Virigoth posted:

If you are selling flax you are dead to the tailor goons and were never giving you superior anything.

Only terrible people sell flax

Like, terrible as compared to the average goon

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

booze chat in game right now.

We aren't afraid of the hard-hitting topics

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, we have a whole 3 people over 30 fishing, DCB, xerol who is going for 40, and gilg. As far as I know, DCB is the only person focusing on fishing

You have me confused with, IIRC, IAmAHorriblePancakeMonster. I have a fishing of 0 but hit Carpentry 61 today.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Speaking of botting, is an iMacros script to cast spells and then resume an activity verboten?

I'm not 100% certain but my hunch would be to say that yes, it's against the rules.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stardew Valley is not an MMO.

Application denied for being lies.

LIES

(fakeedit: alternatively, wait until next month when our name has changed again and when he asks for an update (because you know he will), tell him "sorry, you applied to join Honk Honk, but we're <insert new name here> and we don't consider Honk Honk-era applications. Would you like to start the application process again?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

I do have to give him a little credit--upon re-reading the forum post, I noticed he actually did amend his "one year" of Amar experience down to six months.

still full of lies