Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crell posted:

Flour is our big bottleneck because we have to go pine cones --> pine nuts --> flour, which is a lovely long proccess that gives very little EXP. I'm just finishing up a batch now, should have around 2000.

You can also do Sunflowerseeds --> flour, but sunflower seeds are from extensions and are pretty slow to get.

Nut crushing is always going to be poo poo XP because base timer is 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

About Smilies in Amar, i wanted to have :toot: in there...

17:13:31 From Grumpy : was it created by you or another player?
17:13:56 To Grumpy : it's a smilie from a forum i visit
17:14:37 To Grumpy : i can't tell you about the original creator but no one has been sued yet as far as i know
17:15:37 To Grumpy : if this isn't good enough i understand of course, no one need a lawsuit about a stupid smilie
17:17:23 From Grumpy : well, no, it's just that I only accept emotes that are created by players for the game
17:17:51 From Grumpy : has nothing to do with lawsuits or anything like that
7:23:45 To Grumpy : sooooo, was that a yes or no from you? ;)
17:24:02 From Grumpy : still a no unfortunately
17:24:53 To Grumpy : oh
17:25:45 To Grumpy : any specific reason?
17:26:45 To Grumpy : sorry, you told me the reason
17:27:00 To Grumpy : i got confused by chat colours
17:28:27 From Grumpy : no worries

17:29:44 To Grumpy : be prepared to be bombed by 0.5 submissions per month from our guild with original smilies!
17:30:28 From Grumpy : :P

Yeah Xerol made a :birdtoot: at one point don't know if he ever gave it to grumpy

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Counting down to 0 adds a second. So a 20 timer action takes 21 seconds.

Spreadsheet accounts for the +1 second if I remember correctly. Input what is displayed on screen.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

Oh man, that was just the tip of the iceberg. It got loving weird after that. Sadly I have nothing but memories of it. Horrible horrible memories.

Please share, I missed that

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You are getting this by manually copy pasting right? scraping the manual is bannable just FYI. If you are doing it on a weekly basis likely to be unnoticed, the person that got nailed was using it scrape item prices every 5 minutes (which due to no market activity doesn't really change)

Problem is it's considered a 3rd party tool IE botting. You copying the data and putting it into excel or another program is okay though!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Chunjee posted:

I know reading the manual and highscores is bannable because that is a totally normal thing in the devs upside-down world. Its basically a copy-paste of into a spreadsheet, Sheetsu turns it into json data that I use separately.

So I guess that is another weakness:
Requires manual intervention to get latest data.

Good Good, just don't want to see any bans over really stupid poo poo since botting has a zero tolerance policy.

The graphs are super cool and interesting, maybe make them weekly or monthly or something if you have time and post updates. Also weekly is generated in real time for the XP gains. I haven't tested if its by the day hour or minute, but I think Grump said "New - 7days" when I asked several months ago. (which is why scraping it is bannable its extremely server intense to make that list)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you are not in control of the mouse, you are botting.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Welcome to Amar, where the mods wank themselves off over being anal about the ~*~rules~*~

Active community with interesting conversations, what's that?

Caps are spam in the game rules, more than 2 words in a row usually.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, but there's such a thing as discretion and judgement - that quite clearly wasn't actually spam or anything remotely offensive. He shut down a perfectly reasonable conversation between two players by enforcing a (frankly really stupid) rule about little technicalities, and he was hostile about it - he never said what rule was broken, even when asked, and took the time to threaten further bans rather than leaving it. It's not like he's running a legal system or a 400 person irc room, he could afford half a minute to read up and decide whether a mute was going to accomplish anything at all.

Surely the point of rules is to make the chat a friendlier and more fun place to be - Virtus not only solved precisely no problems with that mute, he actively made the chat less welcoming. Like, we talk a whole lot about how terrible the roleplayers and the bitter vets are at making the game better for new people, but the people running the drat thing should not be the ones chasing regular talk away.

Problem is the GM accounts are normal players too. They likely hold a grudge against us. We could bring it up with grumpy but that's like complaining about HR to well HR which means instead you need to bring it up to a C-level so they are going to be really really angry that they are dealing with petty bullshit also Grumpy is pretty ridged.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

So we have this on going joke with a pubbie asking if they are recruiting. They keep deleting their recruitment thread because members who have left the guild poo poo it up with bad reviews. They posted in response to a thread a new recruitment thread that they then bumped 10 hours later and we poo poo all over it for bumping a thread that was already the top post, they then deleted it.

Last few days in our thread asking if they are recruiting:

Today I get a PM:

Holy poo poo this person is both desperate for members and dense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NT Plus posted:

I'm still on a quest for the perfect MMO and I like text-based stuff.

Being that I'm that scumbag that sits in the desk at the far back wall of the office, is this something I could low-key "play" at work? :downs:

I think we're more active during work hours, and there is IT venting and bitching in chat. Maybe a useful question and answer too!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NT Plus posted:

Haha oh wow it actually is browser-based.

In as NtPlus.

Invite sent

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

So it looks like we're invested too heavily in gathering food for our fat asses. Not enough high level production factories.

We're early game compared to most people. Having buff food is still very useful to us compared to pubbies who can just magic buff to what they need. They also don't share as much so helping the new guy isn't a concern. Why should he get a free ride when I had to work so hard!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

We're [fat] goons and you're wondering why we're more concerned about getting a bunch of food?

I think a problem (I guess?) is that some people look at what tools we have, what materials we have, and then ask "what do we need?" and the answer is usually "uhhh, logs I guess?/Always need logs". And there's not really encouragement for people to train the production skills since we've started getting into the "Gotta get pinks/superiors" mindset, so we want to have the highest skill level players making everything.

As for fishing, fishing loving sucks and is terrible. Grumpy needs to overhaul fishing, or at least give it a good impartial once over and make some improvements. Its unfortunate that a lot of mana food comes out of it.

Fishing is just terrible early on. Once you get to 30+ It gets a lot easier and you get actually useful fish instead of useful random drops with mostly useless fish.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I said 5000 words, damnit it's supposed to be a massive spergy rant about how much they love videogames and are a virgin.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zoe posted:

Does anyone in this game roleplay? I was thinking of showing it to a group of MUD dorks I know but uh, they will want to roleplay. It's kind of their thing.

Well pubbies do it, but not really in universe context. There's a guy that hits on all the people with vaguely female names with hilarious uncaring misspellings. Anyone that thinks he is literally a cat. As long as it's not creepy it's an improvement!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

You should mention that chat is from http://movoda.net/ the terrible game amar is based on.

We anger people just by existing this is the best troll ever. Also holy 5 minute botchecks on movoda

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

glickeroo posted:

Joined as glickeroo, can I get a guild invite?

Lookin' for a chill idle-ish game to distract me at work.

Sent

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

They are all clovvers

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pubbies in this game hate us because we have a large number of people and assumed we were bots / multies. The hate has kind of stuck around. They also don't like that we don't kick inactive players.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm not sure what you expected

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I've only been muted once. You guys need to learn to tread the line not eat the troll bait. Be polite while mocking them gently caress. It's also way more funny when you seem completely cool and rational and they are flipping their poo poo. It's okay to be angry in guild chat at the same time, and can make screen caps even more funny.

Maybe next time we goad him into saying faggotism we should all chant we're here we're queer get used to it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 28, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

You say "bring back roygbiv" but I'm the only one who reps it every time you level up.

Posers.

We changed to :bird: for a month because we were using the :bird: emote as :toot: when we were called :lljk: and :cone: It's always been our thing, look at some of the really old screenshots I'm sure you'll see it. Pubbies use that stupid :hb: emote for it. Really though spam whatever emote makes you happy I like seeing some variety. But most of the emotes suck.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

They don't actually put us on ignore, aside from a few people, and even if they did, we'd still show up if they viewed the chat history (lol).

Which several people check to read messages from people they have on ignore to not miss out!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pubbies: I have you on ignore so I wont see what you reply, cultist, but your opinion is wrong -rant here-
Goon: witty retort
Pubbies: Cultist, last time I'm reply to you but...

and so on for like an hour. If you are going to read it take us of ignore or not, it's pretty funny. Most of the people that put us on ignore think we're some kind of strange cult.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

nelson posted:

It sounds like he's making a joke about Amaranthine players to me.

He's really bad at trolling. He put way too much effort into it in all the wrong places. You also just need a soft touch to mess with Amar pubbies if that's what you want to do.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This should get you some nice gear

16:49:48 Xerol : last year i ended up with around 160 i think
16:50:03 Xerol : but it also ran about 4 weeks because grumpy went awol and didn't turn the event off until mid-january
16:50:26 Xerol : and i didn't have very much in the way of gear/buffs then
16:52:40 ImAHorriblePancakeMonster : how many festive sets did 160 get you?
16:57:47 Xerol : about 120 items in total
16:57:54 Xerol : and 40 consumables/coal drops
16:58:09 Xerol : i think it was about equal chances for all the different festive pieces, about 20 of each
16:58:30 Xerol : and 50/50 between sparkly/normal
16:58:57 Xerol : i spread my personal supply out to the guild but i've pretty much only gone through about 10% of it in a year

tl;dr if its sparkly festive stuff again you can get a personal stash that will last you a long long time. If it's something new well that too will last you a long time! Get stuff!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Virigoth posted:

I've returned after disappearing in September suddenly and as penance I am crushing pine cones. Glad I showed up in time for the sparkly festive gear to drop again!

We actually aren't sure what's going to drop yet, but yeah that might be! If it doesn't something better will drop, because holiday stuff is how power creep is introduced in this game!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BS is another game that is similar. Don't confuse the above for amar, an actually good game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Virigoth posted:

In honor of oldskool and SC breaking BS tonight I'm going to leave you with this Christmas teaser under the tree:

stuff

Can we not bot Amar, Grumpy has actual good logs and many people already think goons are a bunch of cheaters. It also means all the XP you get is now in the guild and kind of devalues everything people playing legit have done.

If that's not what that is ignore me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

I think that's for Broken Shield, the thing that oldskool and Meowth have been trying to destroy for the last couple weeks.

Well it mentions wild growth, which is an amar thing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm just hoping it's a way to cast and resume previous activity so I stop wasting casts

That is automation, and highly ban able. Please don't do that. Modifications will get you banned. The guild does not support botting and it a gkick, so no just no.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 24, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ah the ever increasing mute timer. You need to chill out a bit more!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pretty sure we're a newer guild than that and much much higher ranked.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kluliss posted:

Woah, what was he saying for Grumpy to get, well, grumpy at him?

exactly the above, that the Grumpy shouldn't waste dev time fixing things that only effect goons because the problems will go away when we quit. (and hinting that maybe he should just ban us)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

World chat Wednesday was a success! We poo poo up chat for a few hours and ended up with only a few casualties in what could only be described as constant spam of boring topics.

I made a pastebin of just world chat for anyone that missed it I named sections the stuff after Thor comes on and starts muting and the Salad are the better parts

http://pastebin.com/9pvMbwbW

pixaal fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 4, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dream is dead ✨🎣👨ImAHorrible🥞👹andI🛠💾for💰also🍑✨ is an invalid username.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Virigoth posted:

It wouldn't be automated skimming per say just a manual process to grab from the mystuff. At least in my logic :science:

Skimming is considered a script. Grumpy does not allow you to parse the website. You can copy and paste to parse though!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What a long strange trip this has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I bet vara still allows HTML on the forums p.sure they had a post telling you how to do HTML on there. <--other game chat

There's a bunch of other games similar to amar that exist and most are horribly coded it's fun to pop in and see how backwater this game genre is in general. It's like going to the internet, 2001.