Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What age should it be illegal to vote?
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90-99
100-199
View Results

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Carver Crisis posted:

Only those who have enlisted should vote. I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all!!!

service guarantees citizenship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
really though voting should be mandatory and you should be able to vote from facebook/twitter

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
And Tumblr and reddit

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Toadvine posted:

really though voting should be mandatory and you should be able to vote from facebook/twitter

If you could, voting rates would shoot up.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

dog buttz posted:

If you could, voting rates would shoot up.

to like 100 times the us population

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

ChairmanMeow posted:

to like 100 times the us population

I'm cool with non-americans voting since tens of thousands of our troops are probably in/will be in their country anyway

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

dog buttz posted:

I'm cool with non-americans voting since tens of thousands of our troops are probably in/will be in their country anyway

lol

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dog buttz posted:

Oh boy, a one world government, elected by persons outside the United States.

The ENTIRE private sector would like a few words with you.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

dog buttz posted:

I was implying voter fraud, but 6 of one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

don't trust anybody over 30

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Carver Crisis posted:

Only those who have enlisted should vote. I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all!!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

symbolic posted:

don't trust anybody

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot wait for the first time a US President tells the American people that Democracy cannot be put in jeopardy by a voting system

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dog buttz posted:

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot wait for the first time a US President tells the American people that Democracy cannot be put in jeopardy by a voting system

idk if Obama's weighed in yet but that's already p much the line for this election

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Voting hasn't threatened our democracy for a long time now

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My Dad is 79 and has outrageously terrible opinions that I don't remember being so strong when I was younger, so maybe 70, 75 is a good cut-off.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Otisburg posted:

My Dad is 79 and has outrageously terrible opinions that I don't remember being so strong when I was younger, so maybe 70, 75 is a good cut-off.
are you like 50?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My stepdad was very right wing now hes like 70 and hes turned into a communist

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Isaac posted:

My stepdad was very right wing now hes like 70 and hes turned into a communist

Yeah, that can happen.

Old people tend to know a lot of 'good people' who are struggling financially, because they got old. Old people can gain more understanding of less visible disabilities like chronic pain that can prevent someone from making a living, because of their own chronic pain and decreasing ability. Public transit doesn't seem like such a waste of tax dollars when your own license is taken away because you are half blind. Even things like education and childcare that are traditionally problems for the young may get more sympathy when they see their own grandchildren and great grandchildren struggling despite being 'good people.'

There's really no telling which way an old person will turn.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Carver Crisis posted:

I agree with this.

Alternately, only landowners.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, that can happen.

Old people tend to know a lot of 'good people' who are struggling financially, because they got old. Old people can gain more understanding of less visible disabilities like chronic pain that can prevent someone from making a living, because of their own chronic pain and decreasing ability. Public transit doesn't seem like such a waste of tax dollars when your own license is taken away because you are half blind. Even things like education and childcare that are traditionally problems for the young may get more sympathy when they see their own grandchildren and great grandchildren struggling despite being 'good people.'

There's really no telling which way an old person will turn.
yeah, it's weird. both sets of my grandparents are in their mid-60s, but my mom's parents are really liberal and my dad's parents are really conservative.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think people who don't bother to vote shouldn't vote, and people who take the time to vote should vote.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Toilet Mouth posted:

I think people who don't bother to vote shouldn't vote, and people who take the time to vote should vote.

OH MY GOD! YOU TOTAL loving ACCEPTABLE OPINION HAVING HUMAN!

I hope you go out to dinner tonight and the waitstaff treats you with such respect.

SUCH loving RESPECT!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

spud posted:

Anyone under the age of 35.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

When you get really old, chronic pain can make every day a struggle. You suffer financially, obviously, with no job and limited state benefits. Despite holding yourself out as a good person and hard worker, you find your life hasn't really amounted to much and realize you are about to die alone. You lash out, wanting to blame anyone but yourself, and become a bitter, twisted shell of a person; that's why you despise the younger generation. You can't really articulate WHY, of course, except maybe to rely on tired cliches.

These are just some of the many things goons have in common with the elderly.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

VendaGoat posted:

OH MY GOD! YOU TOTAL loving ACCEPTABLE OPINION HAVING HUMAN!

I hope you go out to dinner tonight and the waitstaff treats you with such respect.

SUCH loving RESPECT!

Holy poo poo, please calm down bro!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
The human brain doesn't fully mature until 25. Anyone younger than that should have no rights.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

The human brain doesn't fully mature until 25. Anyone younger than that should have no rights.
i have the right to tell you to eat poo poo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dreddout posted:

Holy poo poo, please calm down bro!

I think I will Calm down, Bro!

I'll calm down so much, I'll have a beer and read a book, while I continue to do my laundry.

I'm gonna do my laundry, so good.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

america is too big a country

the interests of some guy in texas is the same as some guy in alaska?

should disunite the states and rule them all with computers

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
illegal age to vote should be 18-30

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

chaosbreather posted:

america is too big a country

the interests of some guy in texas is the same as some guy in alaska?

should disunite the states and rule them all with computers

This. But cleansed with nuclear fire instead of rule with computers.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

america should make a deal with china to split up their states if they split up their provinces

the world will be like a zillion times more stable overnight

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

chaosbreather posted:

america should make a deal with china to split up their states if they split up their provinces

the world will be like a zillion times more stable overnight

Where do you get this idea?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
On one hand I think mandatory voting laws are good because there is a massive percentage of the population who feel a certain way and never do anything about it. But on the other hand a lot of the people who do not vote are 18-24 or brown. So Idk man.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

On one hand I think mandatory voting laws are good because there is a massive percentage of the population who feel a certain way and never do anything about it. But on the other hand a lot of the people who do not vote are 18-24 or brown. So Idk man.
i feel like not voting because i hate everyone running

i have broken your idea, gimmee five

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Wait what age group is allowed to vote in the poll?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

I think I will Calm down, Bro!

I'll calm down so much, I'll have a beer and read a book, while I continue to do my laundry.

I'm gonna do my laundry, so good.

do the poo poo out of that loving laundry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

symbolic posted:

i feel like not voting because i hate everyone running

i have broken your idea, gimmee five

Yeah but you could just write in Darth Vader or some poo poo when the time comes for mandatory voting. You're really not disproving it as a good idea.

• Locked thread