Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Coolguye posted:

Stardew is not 500% anime

qed

*nods thoughtfully, writes "NOT 500% ANIME" under cons*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

you can mod it to make it anime actually

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

if you love harvest moons you will love this game. get it, its win. so is rune factory 4. so is story of seasons. so is harvest moon 64. so is

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Can I get married to people in this game

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
there's only one POC which is extremely problematic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Chode stimulator

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

O__O posted:

Seriously? Tell me more.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

O__O posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727984&perpage=40&pagenumber=278#post447555173

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

would i like this game if i can't even be bothered to keep up with my berry farm in PkMn?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

would i like this game if i can't even be bothered to keep up with my berry farm in PkMn?

I think its one of those games where you need to spend time individually watering each fruit bush and theres a watering animation too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It always drove me absolutely mental that most crops in Harvest Moon 64 you couldn't harvest the central fruit and it would just sit taunting you all season

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I guess my biggest problem with the Berry Farms is that I forget where they are and don't want to fly or walk to them every few hours or whatever. At least in this game, the farm is right outside the door.. Meh, think I'll wait for a sale anyway

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I love talking about Gamergate.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

In Training posted:

It always drove me absolutely mental that most crops in Harvest Moon 64 you couldn't harvest the central fruit and it would just sit taunting you all season

That's why you gotta go doughnut hole or fat horseshoe patterns until your watering can gets maxed out. Still hosed when it comes to re-harvestable stuff though

Or was that Back to Nature? They're so similar it's hard to remember the differences sometime

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

In Training posted:

it's why, instead of making plots like:

xxx
xxx
xxx

I would try to make plots like:

x_x
xxx
xxx

to get the middle one.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

no poo poo everybody knows that. it still drives me mental as well because it loving sucks

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
in stardew valley by late summer you'll have automatic sprinklers that do the 8 tiles around them

theres an earlier sprinkler that only waters the 4 tiles around it but that's for chumps

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i refuse to let robots do my farming

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Bolverkur posted:

no poo poo everybody knows that. it still drives me mental as well because it loving sucks

I started out making harvest moon style plots in stardew aswell, then I realized I could walk on the same tile and was amazed that gaming has come so far.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

it's why, instead of making plots like:

xxx
xxx
xxx

I would try to make plots like:

x_x
xxx
xxx

to get the middle one.

Yeah but either way you're always only getting 8 veggies from 9 seeds. Absurd

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i would make traditional rows even though it wasted seeds because it looks nice

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I ragged on the graphics for this and Salt and Sanctuary but it really doesn't take too long to get acclimated to them in both cases. That being said there's still some odd visuals in this, like the tv images using smaller pixels than everything else and how everyone's body pulsates to make it look like they're breathing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a lot of stuff you can do to make money that's not farming, although in the late game farming (and making products) is by far the most profitable. so you could easily do all the other stuff while you got the resources together for automatic sprinklers and then just use those.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I heard you can brew beer, could you just become a master Brewer. The thing I liked about harvest moon was giving up on trying to be a jack of all trades and just subsisting on one element of the farm doing really well.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I heard you can brew beer, could you just become a master Brewer. The thing I liked about harvest moon was giving up on trying to be a jack of all trades and just subsisting on one element of the farm doing really well.

yeah, kegs will turn wheat into beer (presumably lager) and hops into pale ale. the margins on them aren't great. turning fruit into wine triples its value, and fruit is already a really good money maker, so if you want to break the game get a bunch of kegs and pump out nothing but wine.

stuff is seasonal, though, and both hops and wheat only grow in the summer. you get a greenhouse later as an unlock, which lets you grow stuff year-round, but probably not until at the end of your first year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The greenhouse in harvest moon 64 broke the game because time didn't pass indoors, I never tilled my fields again.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

In Training posted:

The greenhouse in harvest moon 64 broke the game because time didn't pass indoors, I never tilled my fields again.

It was also loving gigantic, like nearly the size of your base field big

Then you get the one in Back to Nature and it's something like 4 plots of soil and falls apart at the slightest sign of a storm

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

In Training posted:

time also was a lot faster in harvest moon 64 and a greenhouse would be worthless if time didnt stop while you were inside

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The field they give you is huge but I barely use up a quarter of it. you can install automatic sprinklers to water every day and there's other ways to make money.

I've been mining gold ore and smelting them into bars to sell to the blacksmith.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

Yeah but either way you're always only getting 8 veggies from 9 seeds. Absurd

unless the crop grows on a trellis, you can walk over the plants while they're growing, and upgraded water cans can cover up to 5 tiles across

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

afaik brewing almost everything you make is by far the most profitable way to farm. like just a million kegs going all the time.

growing hops in summer especially, since they harvest every day and only take 1 day to brew and pale ales sell for like 300

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but I don't think you're going to able to get to level 8 farming skill in your first year. You need that to make kegs

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
this game is so chill...

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

frank.club posted:

yeah but I don't think you're going to able to get to level 8 farming skill in your first year. You need that to make kegs

I had it by the end of summer 1, and i didn't particularly try to get it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, kegs will turn wheat into beer (presumably lager) and hops into pale ale. the margins on them aren't great. turning fruit into wine triples its value, and fruit is already a really good money maker, so if you want to break the game get a bunch of kegs and pump out nothing but wine.

stuff is seasonal, though, and both hops and wheat only grow in the summer. you get a greenhouse later as an unlock, which lets you grow stuff year-round, but probably not until at the end of your first year.

beer/pale ale actually gives you more in overall profit from processing since it only takes about a day and a half to make a beer, but it takes 6 days to make wine. it's also easier to keep the pale ale train going since hops flower every day after growing. but wine gives you a flashier payoff so that feels better.

In Training posted:

farming and then processing the outputs is by far the most profitable thing in stardew. poo poo that sells for less than 50g when shipped, you put it into a preserves jar in turn it into pickles or jam. anything else, you put it into a keg and make juice or booze. but your only real meta-goal is to make 1 million in 2 years which is super viable for everything except maybe pure mining. so as long as you don't expect to get filthy stinking rich hitting rocks you can basically do whatever you want, and if you don't give a poo poo about the meta-goal (which doesn't really affect you that much) you can literally do whatever you want because there is no fail state and no way to write yourself into a corner in this game. even if you piss away every last penny you have on stupid poo poo, you can forage for nuts and berries and ship them and claw your way back.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Such Thing posted:

I had it by the end of summer 1, and i didn't particularly try to get it.

the wiki says you have to harvest hundreds of crops for that how

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like how you can min/max if you want to, and really break the game, but you can also just do pretty regular things throughout the game and still see almost everything by year 3. i'm going until the Spring 1, Year 3 event, but i'm prob. going to come back to this in a few months and try the min/max approach

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

frank.club posted:

the wiki says you have to harvest hundreds of crops for that how

I almost exclusively used crops that regrow, so i produced a lot over a short period of time. Hops produce every day after the 12th day which accounts for a ton of overall experience. Plus harvesting crops isn't the only thing that generates xp, hoeing and watering both do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I might buy this tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

farm aesthetic is very important which is why i appreciate that theres like 5 types of fences and a dozen different paths you can make and place on your farm and also you can put your coops and barns and wells anywhere you want

• Locked thread