Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not even sure what there has to be to decry him except "he wrote racist comics and is probably a racist"

Exactly. Dude sounds awful enough as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got the impression that dudes were trying to stay well clear of slander laws, but whatever it is, it's why Ales Kot doesn't work at Marvel anymore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not that a lot of value was lost there

Kot constantly brings up poo poo like this on twitter in veiled speech and never delivers the smoking gun he always promises. He's also kind of an rear end in a top hat. The type of person where even when you agree with him there's still a feeling that he needs to dial it down like ten notches.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

I got the impression that dudes were trying to stay well clear of slander laws, but whatever it is, it's why Ales Kot doesn't work at Marvel anymore.

Oh no where will I get my incomprehensible bullshit Bucky stories now though? I sure will miss those.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a crying shame, but Kot's using it as one of his big reasons. He's probably better doing his own thing anyway; Material isn't bad.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
His Secret Avengers run was great and have me high hopes for Bucky but unfortunately that was horrible. I wish he'd get back to Zero, that's my favourite work of his.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Skeematic posted:

His Secret Avengers run was great and have me high hopes for Bucky but unfortunately that was horrible. I wish he'd get back to Zero, that's my favourite work of his.

Zero is done. Like, it's complete as a statement. The only book he's got going now is Wolf, and it's pretty good. Then again, I liked that Bucky run as an interrogation on superhero fiction as masculine power fantasy involving the same people punching each other over and over again, so, grain of salt and all that.

Also my impression was that he left Big Two comics because a) he could and b) they give a pass to way too many bona fide dirtbags and have yet to make up for years and years of nasty poo poo.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ElNarez posted:

Zero is done. Like, it's complete as a statement. The only book he's got going now is Wolf, and it's pretty good. Then again, I liked that Bucky run as an interrogation on superhero fiction as masculine power fantasy involving the same people punching each other over and over again, so, grain of salt and all that.

Also my impression was that he left Big Two comics because a) he could and b) they give a pass to way too many bona fide dirtbags and have yet to make up for years and years of nasty poo poo.

I didn't realize zero was done. I'll have to do a re-read I suppose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ElNarez posted:

Or he was a lovely writer and they had no reason to keep him around because nobody bought his crappy books.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

HIJK posted:

Vague twitter posts are vague twitter posts and not proof of anything.

I don't know anything about Edmondson and he doesn't sound likeable but unless someone says something definitive, even if only anonymously, then no decisions or judgements can be made about the man.

I'll add that homophobic remarks are why my friend at the con thought he was a dickhole. Some second hand anonymous info from some guy on a web forum is even less substantive than a vague tweet though I know.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pictured: Garth Ennis in 20 years:

:D
Nobody's that bad. Except his son, maybe.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I still need to read Zero since multiple people have said it's solid, but everything else of Kot's I've read (Wild Children, Change, Bucky Barnes, Secret Avengers, Wolf, his Twitter) has been pretty unbearable. It's a ton of pre-emptive unearned self-high-fives for making clever references, for "getting away" with an elaborate pointless Borges reference in a Marvel comic, for being brave enough to tweet out blind items. He says he's 'woke' in his Twitter bio for goodness sake. I know some people love him, but you can only promise to blow the lid off of something so many times before people stop paying attention. Even his "I am leaving Marvel because they publish work by bad people, so I can work on books for Image, who also publish work by the same people" thing is weird back-pat point-scoring.

As to why there are no tangible accusation against Edmondson:

1) This is also alleged, but in line with someone from a well-to-do conservative family that all but scrubbed Edmondson's youthful indiscretions (credit card fraud, working for a far-right think tank) off of the Internet, but Edmondson is very litigious, and it's likely that none of his would-be accusers or the blogs likely to post something about it are prepared to fight any sort of court battle about the rights to post mean things about him.

2) Even if there is no lawsuit involved, look at the most recent similar situation in comics, Brian Wood. Multiple women came forward, naming names and specific incidents. As a result, some people clucked their tongues and called Wood a scumbag, some other people called those women crazy bitches or liars or whatever, and Brian Wood continued (and continues) to write comic books for Dark Horse, Image, and for years after this all came out, Marvel.

I find blind iteming or going "I have a really scummy story about this dude, I promise!" annoying as all hell, but at the same time I can absolutely understand why the women involved are hesitant to go public.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
On a separate note (and I'll update the OP later) here are some books that aren't on the schedule for May or June, and therefore are probably canceled?

All-New Hawkeye
Angela: Queen of Hel
Hercules (replaced with Civil War: Gods of War mini-series)
Howling Commandos of SHIELD
Illuminati
Karnak (possibly just skipping some months because it's late as hell?)
Red Wolf
Spidey
Weirdworld

The only real possible surprises there are Hawkeye and Spidey, since they were selling significantly better than the other missing books.

code:
65	Spidey			3	$3.99	Marvel	28,161
78	All New Hawkeye		4	$3.99	Marvel	24,903
80	Squadron Supreme	4	$3.99	Marvel	24,182
81	Scarlet Witch		3	$3.99	Marvel	23,900
90	All New Inhumans	4	$3.99	Marvel	22,334
92	Guardians of Infinity	3	$4.99	Marvel	22,309
93	Astonishing Ant-Man	5	$3.99	Marvel	22,168
96	Venom Space Knight	4	$3.99	Marvel	21,545
98	Contest of Champions	5	$3.99	Marvel	21,430
103	Howard The Duck		4	$3.99	Marvel	20,965
104	Spider-Woman		4	$3.99	Marvel	20,747
107	Web Warriors		4	$3.99	Marvel	20,198
112	Star-Lord		4	$3.99	Marvel	19,117
113	Vision			4	$3.99	Marvel	19,070
115	Agents of Shield	2	$3.99	Marvel	18,771
117	New Avengers		7	$3.99	Marvel	18,520
124	Un.Squirrel Girl	5	$3.99	Marvel	17,743
134	Patsy Walker 		3	$3.99	Marvel	16,587
136	Angela Queen of Hel	5	$3.99	Marvel	15,968
137	Illuminati		4	$3.99	Marvel	15,280
138	Moon Girl & DD		4	$3.99	Marvel	14,941
141	Drax			4	$3.99	Marvel	14,620
144	Black Knight		4	$3.99	Marvel	14,346
147	Weirdworld		3	$3.99	Marvel	14,190
150	Hercules		4	$3.99	Marvel	13,767
163	Howling Commandos 	5	$3.99	Marvel	12,281
165	Red Wolf		3	$3.99	Marvel	12,211
190	Starbrand and Nightmask	3	$3.99	Marvel	8,956

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm curious how long it takes for Karnak to get to six issues and then canceled.

Ellis just needs to stop working with all these slow artists! Just so many slow artists.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'd say update the OP with every book but Karnak, which might legitimately be taking another 2 month break for all we know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Nobody's that bad. Except his son, maybe.

Jim Allister is worse. And Sammy Wilson.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is Ultimates any good? I'm kind of looking for another space team book (reading current guardians).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm curious how long it takes for Karnak to get to six issues and then canceled.

Ellis just needs to stop working with all these slow artists! Just so many slow artists.

Motherfucker needs to write more Fell, sllow art and unreliable hard drives be damned! :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angela and Howling Commandos are done.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Newsarama are reporting Angela and Howling Commandos are done-zo.
http://www.newsarama.com/28517-marvel-cancels-angela-queen-of-hel-howling-commandos-of-s-h-i-e-l-d.html

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is there a Moon Knight going? I seem to remember a decent one before SW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a Moon Knight going? I seem to remember a decent one before SW.

A new one by Lemire is coming

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Ultimates any good? I'm kind of looking for another space team book (reading current guardians).

Yes, it is very good.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Dang, I really liked Angela. And I love the concept and characters from Howling Commandos, but the writing was loving terrible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

It's not exactly a 'space' book, but it is pretty good, and is where Thanos is showing back up. Original pre-SW, remembers being melted by Doom Thanos. I know Rocafort is divisive, but I think the book is really pretty and is exactly the style needed for the concepts Ewing's throwing out there.

Only minor quibble I have is... are we supposed to know anything about America's girlfriend? Like, she talks like she knows Kate Bishop, so is she from Young Avengers?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, they're cancelling Abnett's bad Hercules run and then giving him a miniseries to continue to write Hercules badly?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, they're cancelling Abnett's bad Hercules run and then giving him a miniseries to continue to write Hercules badly?

Might not be cancelled just mini series like they did during secret war

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

It's not exactly a 'space' book, but it is pretty good, and is where Thanos is showing back up. Original pre-SW, remembers being melted by Doom Thanos. I know Rocafort is divisive, but I think the book is really pretty and is exactly the style needed for the concepts Ewing's throwing out there.

Only minor quibble I have is... are we supposed to know anything about America's girlfriend? Like, she talks like she knows Kate Bishop, so is she from Young Avengers?

She's just her girlfriend and knows who her friends are.

Ultimates is really good, and is probably the first attempt at a in universe explanation of Marvel time. It's practically Grant Morrison's Avengers, and I love it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

She was introduced in that anthology issue that teased all the various Avengers titles from a while back, as I recall. I remember the name of the short story ("The Opposite of Punching"), but not the actual book's name, for some reason.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Avengers #O.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Die Laughing posted:

Ultimates is really good, and is probably the first attempt at a in universe explanation of Marvel time. It's practically Grant Morrison's Avengers, and I love it.

What does this mean? Is it some sort of meta-narrative about the so-called sliding timeline?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luchacabra posted:

What does this mean? Is it some sort of meta-narrative about the so-called sliding timeline?

The current story had the team venturing outside the multiverse to examine the whole 'time is broken' thing Bendis has been seeding over the last few years, and wound up with Galactus rescuing the team/maybe kinda joining them? and explaining that while time is largely fixed and resilient, some important events get dragged along with 'now', so they're always just a few years behind or ahead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Luchacabra posted:

It's a throughline going through Ewing's Marvel work at the moment, and which has shown up in Waid's Avengers. The problem that the Ultimates are presently investigating is the fragmented nature of time in the Marvel Universe, owing largely to multiple, reckless uses of time travel.

Apparently they're going to do something about it which will affect the universe as a whole, effects of which are already manifesting.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Spidey #7 is on the June solicits as far as I can tell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Angela gets a new series or gets put on an existing team. Maybe A force or even better joins Alpha Flight.

Though I would like to see her and Serah trying to deal with living in the normal world.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Just posting to say I love totally awesome hulk and I hope miles is a frequent guest star

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Angela gets a new series or gets put on an existing team. Maybe A force or even better joins Alpha Flight.

Though I would like to see her and Serah trying to deal with living in the normal world.

You already have an avatar from the next book she's going to be in

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Blockhouse posted:

You already have an avatar from the next book she's going to be in

I was about to say Vote Loki is just a one shot or mini, but according to news sources it's an ongoing book?

:psyduck: Loki running for president feels like it'd fill an arc or two at best, not an ongoing series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's probably a stealth cancellation. Instead of running the Civil War tie-in through the regular Herc book, they're putting it out as its own mini, and after that there probably won't be a Hercules book. Unless they want to try again and reboot with another number 1, which is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DrProsek posted:

:psyduck: Loki running for president feels like it'd fill an arc or two at best, not an ongoing series.

Unless he wins.

• Locked thread