Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Unless he wins.

Surely that's when you use the mini to launch the actual ongoing: President Loki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really dig Wendig's take on Hyperion. He's just trying to get away from it all and relax then in comes this kid that drags him right back into a battle. And man that Nik Virella art is sweet. I loved her work on 1872 and she's perfect for this story too. I'm sure like most non name books it won't last long but I can tell I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it while it does.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

I was about to say Vote Loki is just a one shot or mini, but according to news sources it's an ongoing book?

:psyduck: Loki running for president feels like it'd fill an arc or two at best, not an ongoing series.

Oh weird I thought it was a one shot too. Well, that's good.

And Hellcat is just pure joy on the page. The tindr profiles were painfully accurate based on what my friends have shown me.

Oh and Ultimates has a Vote Loki at the bottom of one of the pages.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 24, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of Ultimates, this issue was amazing in how Ewing dealt with time and how it slides in the Marvel Universe through Galactus. I love this book so much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Speaking of Ultimates, this issue was amazing in how Ewing dealt with time and how it slides in the Marvel Universe through Galactus. I love this book so much.

Yea. I was thinking today that its' the torch bearer for the crazy high level stuff that was prevalent in Secret Avengers. Even thought there is an Illuminati, I feel like the Ultimate are the heirs to the Stark/Richards/Xavier/etc Illuminati.

It's weird seeing Squirrel Girl not done in some crazy exaggerated way like by Henderson or whomever the artst on the first few New Avengers issues was.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know I never really knew much of Rocafort's art before Ultimates and his style I'm sure is divisive, but for this big huge crazy poo poo it's pretty spectacular. That double page spread with Eternity in chains is gorgeous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The pages with Thanos defined purely by negative space were pretty boss too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, I mean the idea of something dwarfing Galactus in such a way is amazing, and the idea there's something else even bigger its crazy.

Hah, I want to see Sunspot punch Godzilla, and I wonder what is up with Simmons chi being messed up. And Hawkeye is weed dad of the New Avengers.

Well crap ANAD Avengers, I knew starting off the book all happy and sunshine was going to go bad places.

Ah, AN Hawkeye, why are you so boring with stories that aren't interesting?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Galactus looks weird in white/yellow.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
So in a few other threads several people had recommended The Vision to other posters and I finally got around to going to my LCS the other day and picked up the first 3 issues and Holy poo poo! Thank you so much! That book is amazing.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Did Hickman's final S.H.I.E.L.D. issue ever come out? Since most likely the answer to that is 'no', has there been ANY indication of when it will?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ferrule posted:

So in a few other threads several people had recommended The Vision to other posters and I finally got around to going to my LCS the other day and picked up the first 3 issues and Holy poo poo! Thank you so much! That book is amazing.

Check out his Sheriff of Babylon and Omega Men too. Especially Sheriff since nobody posts about new Vertigo books. That thread is lonely.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 24, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

Did Hickman's final S.H.I.E.L.D. issue ever come out? Since most likely the answer to that is 'no', has there been ANY indication of when it will?

No. No.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cael posted:

It will come out a week after Scarlet #8.

(IE no, we don't)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrProsek posted:

(IE no, we don't)

I thought it was coming out at the same time as Daredevil: The Target #2

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

(IE no, we don't)

Isn't Scarlet #8 solicited for May?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Scarlet #8 solicited for May?

I'll believe it when I see it :colbert:.

Yeah, it's on the May solicits along with issue #9. I'm skeptical either will come out but I guess that does kinda ruin my joke that we in fact do have some indication of when it will come out :v:.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Here is how I'd rank the Marvel titles I've tried out since the launch of ANAD.

Titles I still buy and look forward to regularly every month (my favorite of ANAD): Agents of SHIELD, Captain Marvel, Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Red Wolf, Silk, Spider Woman, Ultimates, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vision
Titles I buy monthly but can't quite call my favorite: A-Force, Daredevil, Old Man Logan
Titles I tried out and dropped down to reading trade only: Amazing Spider-Man, Contest of Champions, Patsy Walker, Silver Surfer, Star Lord, Spidey
Titles I tried out and dropped entirely: ANAD Avengers, All New Hawkeye, All New Inhumans, All New X-Men, Angela, Black Knight, Doctor Strange (biggest disappointment of ANAD), Extraordinary X-Men, Howling Commandos of SHIELD, Illuminati, New Avengers, Scarlet Witch, Spider Gwen, Squadron Supreme, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny Inhumans, Uncanny X-Men
Titles that I like but are too new to have made a real decision on yet: Black Widow, Karnak, Mockingbird, Power Man and Iron Fist

And I'm looking forward to the launches of Black Panther, Nighthawk and Punisher here soon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you like Squirrel Girl, i'd highly recommend checking out Hellcat.

What I'm getting that I enjoy - ANAD Avengers, Hellcat, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, AN Wolverine, Ultimates, Old Man Logan, Scarlet Witch (though this is super biased because I am almost as big of a Wanda fanboy as I am a Carol one. I know)
Stuff I'm still getting but I'm hoping they improve - New Avengers, Spider-Gwen, AN X-men
Stuff that is literally hanging by a thread - AN Hawkeye, Extraordinary X-men (though that thread is basically as long as Magik has a part of the story)
Stuff I dropped - Web Warriors, Uncanny Avengers (though I kind of regret it).
Stuff there's only been 1 issue but I've enjoyed still - Mockingbird, Black Widow.

Looking at that, it seems if you want me to buy a comic, its make the main character a women and make it a big off beat.

I work at a story PT so when its slow I do get the read recent comics, so I've kept up on the Vision, and I'll be 100% grabbing the trades.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Why do you guys enjoy the books you enjoy?
What do you want to see improve in your borderline books?
Why did you drop the books that you dropped?
Why has there only been one issue of Mockingbird so far?
What is up with Standoff tie-ins being pretty decent after such a terrible opening one-shot? Is Nick Spencer the next Dan Slott?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Edge & Christian posted:

Why do you guys enjoy the books you enjoy?

Daredevils art is loving amazing. Ron Garney is drawing better than he has in 20+ years. Soules story is a little weak so far but I'd rather it be average than *bad*, so I can keep oogling that art :allears:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Books I enjoy; Ant-Man, All-New Wolverine, Angela, Daredevil, Hellcat, Mighty Thor, Old Man Logan, Power Man and Iron Fist, Silk, Scarlet Witch, Squirrel Girl, Vision. Basically, solo books and female leads or men who are working through a lot of personal issues. Or ignore both these points and just have great chemistry with your two leads.

Books I want to be better: A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, Spider-Gwen, Uncanny X-Men (for all four of these books; they need better artists/artists whose style I enjoy more), All-New X-Men (The Angel/Wolverine subplot is real bad) New Avengers (Felt like it had too big a cast for the writer to manage, but lately has been getting better about that)

Books with 1 issue out I liked: Black Widow, Mockingbird, Hyperion

I don't normally dislike team books that much. I don't what what it is about the ANAD teams v:v:v.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Veg posted:

Daredevils art is loving amazing. Ron Garney is drawing better than he has in 20+ years. Soules story is a little weak so far but I'd rather it be average than *bad*, so I can keep oogling that art :allears:
I was just having this conversation the other day, while I agree Garney is doing some great stuff in the book but the story isn't really living up to the art, and since it's Daredevil, it's going up against the past decade of (a certain run aside) Daredevil having better stories AND art by the likes of Alex Maleev, Michael Lark, David Aja, Lee Weeks, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Chris Samnee... not to mention you've got fresh reprints of incredible Miller/JRJR/Mazzucchelli/Sienkiewicz DD from the 1980s, it's unfair but inevitable that I'm going to grade on a curve.

That said, if Soule and Garney were putting out a book on this level starring like Paladin or Wolfpack (or hell, a Blindspot solo book) I'd probably be really impressed. And the art is great regardless of what character it is.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Due to Season 2 of Daredevil Marvel is knocking off ten dollars from the yearly subscription of Marvel Unlimited, so 60 bucks for the whole thing and now I finally bit the bullet and can say, six months late, that Waid's Daredevil was fantastic 'till the end.

I really want to get into Ultimates (and pretty much everything) when it hits Unlimited, but what related Ewing books should I read first? was it just Mighty Avengers to Captain Falcon & The Mighty Avengers or is there more stuff I should read?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just his Mighty Avengers related stuff. The actual issues of Ultimates even gives you some recommend issues to better understand what's going on. The latest issue points you towards Gillen's Young Avengers and Secret Wars #9.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Due to Season 2 of Daredevil Marvel is knocking off ten dollars from the yearly subscription of Marvel Unlimited, so 60 bucks for the whole thing and now I finally bit the bullet and can say, six months late, that Waid's Daredevil was fantastic 'till the end.

Is there an offer code or something for this? Only seeing a $100/yr signup on that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, promocode SEASON2, if it's showing 100 then you got the yearly unlimited DELUXE that comes with figures and stuff and I don't think the code applies to it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Die Laughing posted:

Just his Mighty Avengers related stuff. The actual issues of Ultimates even gives you some recommend issues to better understand what's going on. The latest issue points you towards Gillen's Young Avengers and Secret Wars #9.

Also, unrelated to Ultimates, but his Loki run started decent but ended in a fantastic reflection and redefinition of the character. It's kinda been an under-the-radar character defining run.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, promocode SEASON2, if it's showing 100 then you got the yearly unlimited DELUXE that comes with figures and stuff and I don't think the code applies to it.

drat, already reupped my subscription.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Also, unrelated to Ultimates, but his Loki run started decent but ended in a fantastic reflection and redefinition of the character. It's kinda been an under-the-radar character defining run.

I'm literally reading the Last Days issues right now. :) One of the many runs I was reading at the time that I stopped because I was reading too many comics and figured I might as well just wait to get Marvel Unlimited.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
inverted Loki and Enchantress being sanctimonious assholes was the best

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, I might as well ask here I guess: up to where should I read Amazing Spider-man? I know Lee's run is good, and apparently Conway as well, Wolfman's solid too? do I keep going 'till the DeFalco run? all I know for sure is that Mackie is where it truly goes stale.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, I might as well ask here I guess: up to where should I read Amazing Spider-man? I know Lee's run is good, and apparently Conway as well, Wolfman's solid too? do I keep going 'till the DeFalco run? all I know for sure is that Mackie is where it truly goes stale.

Read it all friend and become a True Believer. Excelsior! :spidey:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Stop when you see the name "John Byrne."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Howard Mackie is probably the only writer who's as much of a nadir of Spider-man as Dan Slott is. Which sucks, because some of his issues have amazing John Romita Jr. art.

Rhyno posted:

He never wrote Amazing, did he?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Howard Mackie is probably the only writer who's as much of a nadir of Spider-man as Dan Slott is. Which sucks, because some of his issues have amazing John Romita Jr. art.

Bryne wrote issues #13-14 of the relaunch.

Really it is read the entire original run, crap and all, Since the only really horrible stuff is the clone wars slog. The clone saga still pales in comparison to morlun, Gwen Stacey babies, and the other. I would add BND to the mix of things that are poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are there still people out there who think the JMS run was bad? Crazy world we live in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So all the way to "Final Chapter"? I dunno if I want to go through the whole Clone Saga...

I'll get into the JMS run at some point for sure, I really want to see Peter's life as a teacher and stuff, but for now I want to focus on the original run with literally hundreds of issues before I tap out on Spidey for a bit.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

He and Howard Mackie have a year long run. The first time they renumbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He and Howard Mackie have a year long run. The first time they renumbered.

I coulda sworn that was one of the other titles. Sensational Parker-man or whatever.

• Locked thread